HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Picard told to find place in Montreal (Eller and Pyatt too) - the end of O'Byrne?

Old
11-06-2010, 05:01 AM
ReVeuF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
O'byrne sucks, oh well.

Doesn't he lead the NHL in delay of game penaties / game
He could be also a top 3 in stupid penalties / game, maybe top 3 also with the least bodychecks per pound (lol)

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Too bad, O'Byrne could score some very beautiful goals too. (like in his own goal)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

JM should rotate in a d-man or two, O'byrne has been sitting for like 3 weeks, no way he could play worse than Gill and Spacek have recently, give those guys each a night off and get OB and then Picard back in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:01 AM
habfaninvictoria

OB and Spacek for Bieksa ....

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

It seems like they're being dicks to O'Byrne, but this is probably one of the best things that can happen to O'Byrne. He's a guy who's replaceable, we have a decent amount of bottom pairing defencemen in the system now. If we trade him we're going to be giving him the opportunity to crack an NHL lineup, and I think he deserves it because he works hard. Last week in an interview Martin praised O'Byrne's work ethic and overall ethic because even though he's always being benched, he's working his ass off in practices and he's always positive and supportive of the team.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:13 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
OB and Spacek for Bieksa ....
If that deal gets done I dance like Techno Viking.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
It seems like they're being dicks to O'Byrne, but this is probably one of the best things that can happen to O'Byrne. He's a guy who's replaceable, we have a decent amount of bottom pairing defencemen in the system now. If we trade him we're going to be giving him the opportunity to crack an NHL lineup, and I think he deserves it because he works hard. Last week in an interview Martin praised O'Byrne's work ethic and overall ethic because even though he's always being benched, he's working his ass off in practices and he's always positive and supportive of the team.
What guy do we have that's similar to O'byrne that can play a #4-5-6 role down the road? Weber, Carle and co are all smaller offensive guys. Henry is 30+ and is not a prospect, he doesn't have the mobility to be a top 6 NHL d-man. Nash looks like he could be an NHL guy but he is more of an offensive guy.

After O'byrne, the next blueline "bruiser" we have is Tinordi and he is 18 and 3 to 5 years away. That's why I get frustrated that OB gets a short lesh while Gill and Spacek struggle, he is a commodity that we don't have coming in the next 2-3 years.

Old
11-06-2010, 09:27 AM
expos4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
10gp-0g-0a-0p and -2. How did he eard a spot ?
classic example of how a majority of hockey 'fans' just don't get the big picture.

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:33 AM
expos4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Gonna regret getting rid of O'Byrne.
you may regret it, but the team will make their decision based on the best knowledge, experience, and due dilligence on that day, and then move on. You don't run a successful business sitting around worrying about the shoulda/woulda/coulda's...

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post
you may regret it, but the team will make their decision based on the best knowledge, experience, and due dilligence on that day, and then move on. You don't run a successful business sitting around worrying about the shoulda/woulda/coulda's...
Yes, but you also need to look at the big picture, which is the next 5 years.

We are not exactly overflowing with big mobile d-men that can kock guys on their butts. Once Spacek Gill and Hamrlik move on, we can't have a defense of Markov Subban Gorges Picard Weber Carle.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
It's a long season - were bound to get stung by injuries on the backend and I have absolutely no problem with O'Byrne in the lineup.
Bingo!

O'Byrne needs to play...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Didn't know he was up here for pts. Hes here for the pk and a reliable player on the fourth line thats how. You would think people would know why hes here after the playoff run. Jeez
True, but also the fact is he's had a lousy start to the season so far. I can't think of a game he's really been a positive factor in, beyond some solid PK shifts. Eventually the doctrine of "what have you done for me lately" is going to kick in.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:30 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What guy do we have that's similar to O'byrne that can play a #4-5-6 role down the road? Weber, Carle and co are all smaller offensive guys. Henry is 30+ and is not a prospect, he doesn't have the mobility to be a top 6 NHL d-man. Nash looks like he could be an NHL guy but he is more of an offensive guy.

After O'byrne, the next blueline "bruiser" we have is Tinordi and he is 18 and 3 to 5 years away. That's why I get frustrated that OB gets a short lesh while Gill and Spacek struggle, he is a commodity that we don't have coming in the next 2-3 years.
You make a point, CP.

I think that Gauthier and co. will be looking at addressing this via the trade or free agent markets though. Big Bruising defenseman are not found on every single roster, although it's nice to see atleast one with a nasty side. For the most part I'd rather have the mobility of guys like Weber and Carle because we see just how slow Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill are and how it's limited their effectiveness in the past couple seasons. We have a small team, we need as many defenseman as we can that can transition the puck and jump into the play to support them. Right now we only have Markov & Subban that are capable of this on a regular shift basis and it's holding us back.

I've always like O'Byrne but I just never saw the progression that we need out of him.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Sam I Am

O'Byrne is only 26 and had been badly mishandled for the last three seasons. Impatient coaches who have a voracious media breathing down their necks...O'Byrne can definitely play if he's given a reasonable chance. I like him more than Picard and at this point in time, Spacek.

Next year Gill and Hamrlyk may very well be gone. Spacek too...who knows? The D on the farm is of the small, offensive variety with the exception of Henry whose time has past and Nash who may eventually turn out to be a valuable asset. And there's Emelin--good for a thread or two every year before he re-ups in the KHL.

O'Byrne is big, can skate and is a right-handed shot. Assuming we lose both Hamrlyk and Gill, having OB around allows us to finally move Spacek over to the left-side where he is more comfortable. Barring a trade or a free agent signing, it's something like:

Markov O'Byrne
Spacek Subban
Picard Gorges

With Carle, Weber, Nash as contenders. Without OB in the lineup the D would be very small indeed.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Papa Bear

Let's not get too excited about this, I remember another player being told the same thing a few year back, I believe it was Kyle Chipchura, and was sent down a few weeks later.

Btw, I doubt O'Byrne is going anywhere. His trade value is 0 but they would lose him if they put him on waivers. They are not going to let happen what happened with Beauchemin and to a certain extent Stephane Robidas.
Especially when the Canadiens will be losing at least 2 d-men next year.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
neofury*

Stop trying to make Pyatt the new Darche now that Darche is playing arguably amazing for Darche.

Pyatt is an awesome player and if you don't see his value... to be honest I feel bad for you. We have a stellar PK because of him. The game he was out of the line up for we got smoked on the PK.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:40 AM
neofury*

I really want to see what OB can do tonight in Spaceks place preferably. Spacegoat will be tired tonight and I think it might not be a bad idea to get Picard and OB in the line up in place of Gill and Spacek.

See what they can accomplish and also of course give Gill and Spacek a much needed rest LOL.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
Let's not get too excited about this, I remember another player being told the same thing a few year back, I believe it was Kyle Chipchura, and was sent down a few weeks later.

Btw, I doubt O'Byrne is going anywhere. His trade value is 0 but they would lose him if they put him on waivers. They are not going to let happen what happened with Beauchemin and to a certain extent Stephane Robidas.
Especially when the Canadiens will be losing at least 2 d-men next year.
I don't see where his trade value is zero. There are always NHL GM's looking for a big d-man who can play physical and has pretty good mobility. If we can get something for SK, O'byrne definitely has value...I just don't see the point of trading him for a pick.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Stop trying to make Pyatt the new Darche now that Darche is playing arguably amazing for Darche.

Pyatt is an awesome player and if you don't see his value... to be honest I feel bad for you. We have a stellar PK because of him. The game he was out of the line up for we got smoked on the PK.
I hate trying to explain this after every game that Pyatt doesn't score or someone that fans likes gets sat out.

Pyatt was scratched, comes back and plays 4 minutes on the PK and nearly 15 minutes in ice-time. Pyatt plays more than any forward on the Penalty Kill (per game) and yet he's easily replaceable? Bull.

To this point, Pyatt has been more important to the team than maybe any forward not named Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Halpern, and Pouliot. As far as the PK goes, Halpern and Pyatt are beasts. Plekanec as well.

Obviously Martin is a bit blind to it as well.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:25 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
What about Gomez? Any word on whether he's bought a home in Hamilton yet?

"Bazinga!"

Ohhhhh I love Sheldon! Bet he loves hockey. I hate it when theres hockey on thursday night cuz I can't watch it live lol

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
MikeyPeenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
10gp-0g-0a-0p and -2. How did he eard a spot ?
Oh I didn't know you slept through the entire playoffs last year..

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:43 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
O'byrne sucks, oh well.

Doesn't he lead the NHL in delay of game penaties / game
Hahaha. I have the same thought.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hfboards2010

About O'Byrne, I think he needs inspiration. He played inspired last season after "his" number was retired, until he got injured.

I also think he needs a mentor or at least a model. Could have been Robinson, but he's doing that in NJ now. What about Quintal or Ludwig? Check his game, give him tips, encouragement, I don't know.

How about, next year, the coach give him #17 (Currently used by Boyd) and have him mold his game on Craig Ludwig? It just happens that Ludwig was also oversize and a 3rd pick.

Anyway, I remember Sakic going from #88 to #19 and although there are different rumors as to why he did that, his coach back then said it was because he wanted him to play like Yzerman.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Didn't know he was up here for pts. Hes here for the pk and a reliable player on the fourth line thats how. You would think people would know why hes here after the playoff run. Jeez
Oh come one , last year like every player on the team played ''great'' during the playoff. One playoff performance does not equal you have a spot guaranted. Gill , Gomez , spacek played well too , look how they play this year.Also halak helped most player look to good last year.

I don't understant how Pyatt have a guaranted spot.....he's not physical and he don't have that much offensive skills.I agreed he's good on the PK , but it's not that hard to do well on the PK .....lapierre, moen, harlpen, plekanec , darche , boyd can all make the job. Plus he sucks at 5 vs 5.

Player that can play on the bottom 9 ( IMHOMO) : Moen-Eller-Lapierre,Darche,Boyd,Halpern,White,Pyatt Pacciorrety,Palushaj.

I don't see how pyatt can bring something significatly better than most of them.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I hate trying to explain this after every game that Pyatt doesn't score or someone that fans likes gets sat out.

Pyatt was scratched, comes back and plays 4 minutes on the PK and nearly 15 minutes in ice-time. Pyatt plays more than any forward on the Penalty Kill (per game) and yet he's easily replaceable? Bull.

To this point, Pyatt has been more important to the team than maybe any forward not named Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Halpern, and Pouliot. As far as the PK goes, Halpern and Pyatt are beasts. Plekanec as well.

Obviously Martin is a bit blind to it as well.
Him, Boyd and Lapierre have been brutal at 5 on 5, as good as he's been on the PK he needs to pick it up at even strength... every shift that line is pretty much in our own end for the whole shift. I'd like to see him at least tried at center as Boyd has been really disappointing lately and I want to see Eller get a couple games with in our top 6.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote