HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Islanderfan72

vCash: 500
If he was just letting in weak goals like wrist shops and slap shots it would be fine because he is "working out the rust" but he caused 2 awful goals by overplaying the puck. It looked like he just came out of juniors.

IMO the it makes it worse that we have a goalie sitting on the bench who is 10 times better.

The best thing would be to put him on waivers and let him play 2 months in the AHL or until he gets his game back. This team would be decent if he wouldn't give up the weak back breaking goals.

Old
11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
At some point, the Islanders might have to learn from another Rick.

It looks like the Isles have a solid 41 year old goalie for this year and 2 potential studs in Bridgeport, so the need for Rick Dipietro as a goalie is not there, so.......

At what point would you pull a Rick Ankiel and find another position for Dipietro and let him learn it in the farms for 1-2 years, he could become a 4th line pugilist at worst case.
No offense intended, but ths may be the most assinine thing I've heard yet. Take a guy who is brittle as hell and put him in a position when he is exposed to more hitting and greater chance of injury? How does that make sense?

This dosen't even take into account the time it would take for this to happen. If I recall, it took Ankiel 2-3 years in the minors to get back to the majors after he made the switch.

This is what kills me the most about this whole DiPietro thing. People act like he is so valuable to the franchise they must keep him. The guy has never won ANYTHING, not in college, not in the minors not on the big stage, nothing ever. Why do so many feel so tied to this guy, as if the team would fold if he were not on the roster? Doing this would be just another example of management giving him something else he did not earn. I did not post it at the time but if I were Roloson I would have demanded a trade the second I heard DiPietro was given the opening night start. Huge slap in the face to the guy that carried the team last year.

That move alone is all you need to know about this failed endevour. DiPietro has never had to earn anythign as long as he has been an Islander. It's all been handed to him on a silver platter. So if you're DiPietro, where is the incentive to be any better? Your going to get your starts, deserving or not (latest example being this week when he gives up 6 to the Flyers he's right back in their the next game to top his own miserableness and give up 7 to the Canes), he's going to get paid, management is still going to push him as the face of the franchise, the media is still going to come to him for quotes. So where is the incentive?

Truth is the team would begin to grow without the dead weight of DiPietro. Time to cut bait and move on.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Bones45

I said it years ago and it still applies. DP is nothing but a distraction for this team. Whether its talking about his knees, hips, contract, concussions, horrible playing or anything, it is nothing but a detriment to this team.

at this point, I dont care what ya do with him.

just keep him off the ice.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I agree completely. Gordon's been screwed with this roster - as was Nolan before him.

It's hard to blame the coach. This team tries really hard, they lack talent. They're also very young and very inexperienced so it's completely understandable to feel completely defeated mentally when a bad goal goes in, then another, etc.

Confidence is a critical thing for any team, let alone a young team.

Say what you will about playing teenagers and ruining players. A young player that loses confidence by not having any personal or team success is not something easily overcome!
Just resubmitting this line. Those who demand DP learn the ropes again on the big stage ignore the potential for collateral damage affecting our most vital cogs in our future and, thus, our future.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Brunomics

In the end everytime DP takes the ice for this team in a game it's an embarressment to the franchise and fan base. As much as I love DP and his resolve to throw away games so he can find his is completely unacceptable. It's going to come to a point when he starts home games where there are 4000 people in the stand because you know he's good to let up 5 or 6 on average.

This isn't your net anymore DP, it's the other teams, all night long.

Old
11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Islander Prophet

This is looking like another horrible 4.5 Millions wasted away for a good 10 more years or so...Yashin all over again...

XD

Old
11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
13th Floor

I have this weird theory about Ricky that I would like to share. To caveat, I believe my theory is more applicable to his style of play before the 18-month hiatus, but I still think it carries over because old habits die hard.

I feel like Ricky is the type of player/person who purposely puts himself in a position to make a great save. Hear me out. It reminds me of when I played goalie during pick-up hockey games down the street. Sometimes the game would be so boring because I wasn't getting any good rubber, so I would try to make it more exiting for myself. Meaning, I would purposely give up a rebound to the empty side of the goal so I can dive across and rob someone. Or, I would blatantly leave a side open so I can dive across again. Along the same lines, I would wish for the defense to breakdown and have a 3-on-0 so I can try and make a miraculous Hasek-like flip save. Or sometimes I would try and flip my stick around like a forward and lift a great pass to a forward even though it was up the middle. If I mess it up, well it just gives me a chance to make a great save.

At the time, I felt the mentality was sort of win-win. On the one hand, I make the save and look great. On the other hand, if I didn't make the save, it "wouldn't be my fault" because I had "no chance". Granted, as an older hockey fan, I am more keen to the economy of movement and how great goalies are in the right places, deadening the puck, making it look easy (see: Brodeur, prime). And obviously, as a more savvy fan with luxury of replay and videotape, I would fault the goalie on a horrible pass up the middle, even if he had no chance to make the save afterward. But as a kid, the games were clearly not as serious, but I also feel that I would stick in people's heads more. When all is said and done, maybe I made 5 amazing saves, whereas the other goalie didn't because he didn't have the chance. Plus, I would be able to sell the idea that I was just goofing around and could play disciplined, but still had the ability to make the great save when needed.

For some reason, I have this crazy gut-feeling that part of Ricky's game is akin to that silly style I played down the street. He is just that nutty. And he has that type of chip on his shoulder.

Maybe I'm crazy. But I thought I'd share to see if anyone else has ever though this?

Old
11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Amnesia View Post
I have this weird theory about Ricky that I would like to share. To caveat, I believe my theory is more applicable to his style of play before the 18-month hiatus, but I still think it carries over because old habits die hard.

I feel like Ricky is the type of player/person who purposely puts himself in a position to make a great save. Hear me out. It reminds me of when I played goalie during pick-up hockey games down the street. Sometimes the game would be so boring because I wasn't getting any good rubber, so I would try to make it more exiting for myself. Meaning, I would purposely give up a rebound to the empty side of the goal so I can dive across and rob someone. Or, I would blatantly leave a side open so I can dive across again. Along the same lines, I would wish for the defense to breakdown and have a 3-on-0 so I can try and make a miraculous Hasek-like flip save. Or sometimes I would try and flip my stick around like a forward and lift a great pass to a forward even though it was up the middle. If I mess it up, well it just gives me a chance to make a great save.

At the time, I felt the mentality was sort of win-win. On the one hand, I make the save and look great. On the other hand, if I didn't make the save, it "wouldn't be my fault" because I had "no chance". Granted, as an older hockey fan, I am more keen to the economy of movement and how great goalies are in the right places, deadening the puck, making it look easy (see: Brodeur, prime). And obviously, as a more savvy fan with luxury of replay and videotape, I would fault the goalie on a horrible pass up the middle, even if he had no chance to make the save afterward. But as a kid, the games were clearly not as serious, but I also feel that I would stick in people's heads more. When all is said and done, maybe I made 5 amazing saves, whereas the other goalie didn't because he didn't have the chance. Plus, I would be able to sell the idea that I was just goofing around and could play disciplined, but still had the ability to make the great save when needed.

For some reason, I have this crazy gut-feeling that part of Ricky's game is akin to that silly style I played down the street. He is just that nutty. And he has that type of chip on his shoulder.

Maybe I'm crazy. But I thought I'd share to see if anyone else has ever though this?
I would probably take a guess and say thats not the case.

Old
11-07-2010, 11:34 AM
On Edge

Quote:

I think he is immature and undisciplined and is prone to make poor decisions on the ice that often leaves him out of position which leads to the players on the ice to do the same because of how unpredictable and unstable a goalie he is. I guess he does sound like a kid playing street hockey lol. That may fly when you're 12 playing street hockey but frustrating to coaches (and other players) if it were organized hockey - and certainly as an NHL goalie!

I also believe he is probably very difficult to coach to alter his approach or style to benefit the team as well as himself. That's about it. As to why he is like that? Well, maybe a behavioral psychologist can answer that one.

Last edited by On Edge: 11-07-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old
11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

I hope this isn't taken as a "chicken little" thing, but I'm curious on other opinions about DP and his presence in the locker room. I'm not saying "Rollie would win 40 gamez straight LOLZ!!!11!!!WTF" or anything like that; I just wonder what the team opinion here is. If DP's lost the faith of the rest of this roster, even keeping him on the bench, let alone start in goal is seriously 'shooting yourself in the foot.'

Thoughts?

Old
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
lacunacoil777

I would have to agree with this, as far is Dipietros Wandering and stickwork. He "enjoys" the excitement of wandering, knows it hurts the team, yet does it anyway. He is not a team player. He plays for his own personal enjoyment. If Wang didnt own the team, and he was a free agent, he wouldnt even get a job in the AHL I am quite sure. Seriously, who would want this sort of player in the organization?

Quote:

Old
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
No offense intended, but ths may be the most assinine thing I've heard yet. Take a guy who is brittle as hell and put him in a position when he is exposed to more hitting and greater chance of injury? How does that make sense?

This dosen't even take into account the time it would take for this to happen. If I recall, it took Ankiel 2-3 years in the minors to get back to the majors after he made the switch.

This is what kills me the most about this whole DiPietro thing. People act like he is so valuable to the franchise they must keep him. The guy has never won ANYTHING, not in college, not in the minors not on the big stage, nothing ever. Why do so many feel so tied to this guy, as if the team would fold if he were not on the roster? Doing this would be just another example of management giving him something else he did not earn. I did not post it at the time but if I were Roloson I would have demanded a trade the second I heard DiPietro was given the opening night start. Huge slap in the face to the guy that carried the team last year.

That move alone is all you need to know about this failed endevour. DiPietro has never had to earn anythign as long as he has been an Islander. It's all been handed to him on a silver platter. So if you're DiPietro, where is the incentive to be any better? Your going to get your starts, deserving or not (latest example being this week when he gives up 6 to the Flyers he's right back in their the next game to top his own miserableness and give up 7 to the Canes), he's going to get paid, management is still going to push him as the face of the franchise, the media is still going to come to him for quotes. So where is the incentive?

Truth is the team would begin to grow without the dead weight of DiPietro. Time to cut bait and move on.
I am not a DP fan, would love to see him succeed because I am an Islander fan first and foremost, but it won't happen.

My proposal of this Ankiel scenario was simply to give DP a distraction that has a 10% chance of success.

As a businessperson, you can't throw that contract in the toilet and pay him for the next 10 years without putting a gun to your head. That is ridiculous money for nothing. But also a difficult situation because by buying him out or just paying him to do nothing, you admit a huge mistake.

After seeing the wild pitches thrown in the 2000 NLCS, I was shocked when I saw Rick Ankiel was promoted many years later by the Redbirds as a CF, it is not entirely impossible that DP could become a 4th line puglisit LOL. He probably would be better than Gillies in 6 months and desires to puck handle.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:32 AM
On Edge

Quote:
I am not a DP fan, would love to see him succeed because I am an Islander fan first and foremost, but it won't happen.

My proposal of this Ankiel scenario was simply to give DP a distraction that has a 10%chance of success.

As a businessperson, you can't throw that contract in the toilet and pay him for the next 10 years without putting a gun to your head. That is ridiculous money for nothing. But also a difficult situation because by buying him out or just paying him to do nothing, you admit a huge mistake.

After seeing the wild pitches thrown in the 2000 NLCS, I was shocked when I saw Rick Ankiel was promoted many years later by the Redbirds as a CF, it is not entirely impossible that DP could become a 4th line puglisit LOL. He probably would be better than Gillies in 6 months and desires to puck handle.
MM I swear I thought you were kidding around about DP playing another postion in your other post - even though there was not a I was ready to stick up for you and give the guy a hard time for not getting your humor.

You were SERIOUS???? About putting DP in another postion????? 10% chance it would work?

Baseball is so different from hockey that while it is outlandish and unusual what Ankiel did but not totally out of range of reason. Any top HS team, the pitchers play OTHER positions when they are not in the rotation. Even some Division I baseball teams, pitchers also play other positions. Ankiel at least had something of a foundation at playing in the field and batting as a young adult.

In hockey you can possibly change a position for a player on the ice from defense to forward or visa versa. However, it does not happen too frequently - even at lower levels. For the most part, if you are serious about hockey, you pretty much know the position you will be playing by the time you are 12 or 13. DP is 29. There is NO WAY a goalie learns to play another position at this point and is able to play in anything other than a good beer league. The skill set it just way to different. For one, I don't think there is anyway that DP keeps up anywhere close with the skating, let alone the other skills he would require.

Gillies would absolutely smoke him as a forward. DP would make Gervais look like Bobby Orr.

What you suggest would be like training my IT manager to become my Ops Manager (by the way blocking some possible good up and coming ops guy I'm grooming!). I'd sooner have him do janitor stuff to earn his keep or I'd just fire the guy. I'd equate that to making DP stick boy, or maybe a greeter at Doolins. Now that might work!

Last edited by On Edge: 11-08-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old
11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
MM I swear I thought you were kidding around about DP playing another postion in your other post - even though there was not a I was ready to stick up for you and give the guy a hard time for not getting your humor.

You were SERIOUS???? About putting DP in another postion????? 10% chance it would work?

Baseball is so different from hockey that while it is outlandish and unusual what Ankiel did but not totally out of range of reason. Any top HS team, the pitchers play OTHER positions when they are not in the rotation. Even some Division I baseball teams, pitchers also play other positions. Ankiel at least had something of a foundation at playing in the field and batting as a young adult.

In hockey you can possibly change a position for a player on the ice from defense to forward or visa versa. However, it does not happen too frequently - even at lower levels. For the most part, if you are serious about hockey, you pretty much know the position you will be playing by the time you are 12 or 13. DP is 29. There is NO WAY a goalie learns to play another position at this point and is able to play in anything other than a good beer league. The skill set it just way to different. For one, I don't think there is anyway that DP keeps up anywhere close with the skating, let alone the other skills he would require.

Gillies would absolutely smoke him as a forward. DP would make Gervais look like Bobby Orr.

What you suggest would be like training my IT manager to become my Ops Manager (by the way blocking some possible good up and coming ops guy I'm grooming!). I'd sooner have him do janitor stuff to earn his keep or I'd just fire the guy. I'd equate that to making DP stick boy, or maybe a greeter at Doolins. Now that might work!
I am kidding,.... LOL, he likes to fight so being a 4th line pugilist on the Islanders means 90 seconds of action a night, so he can't really hurt us, nor does he need to learn the position LOL.

So he has a 10% chance of being a 4th line pugilist, because if he has to move forward for more than 20 seconds he could blow out his knee.

The Ankiel thing is a wonder in itself, because the guy was good enough to come back to become a starting centerfielder of all positions and hit a key homer in the NLDS. I think in hockey the only player that I can recall from recent memory that could be a forward/dman was Ken Klee.

But to set the record straight, I was just airing my DP frustrations. I will have the same problems this year in Flushing with Bay in leftfield while Duda gets traded.

Old
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
On Edge

Quote:
I am kidding,.... LOL, he likes to fight so being a 4th line pugilist on the Islanders means 90 seconds of action a night, so he can't really hurt us, nor does he need to learn the position LOL.

So he has a 10% chance of being a 4th line pugilist, because if he has to move forward for more than 20 seconds he could blow out his knee.

The Ankiel thing is a wonder in itself, because the guy was good enough to come back to become a starting centerfielder of all positions and hit a key homer in the NLDS. I think in hockey the only player that I can recall from recent memory that could be a forward/dman was Ken Klee.

But to set the record straight, I was just airing my DP frustrations. I will have the same problems this year in Flushing with Bay in leftfield while Duda gets traded.
Ok buddy lol. Just checkin lol. Always find your posts interesting and good (don't always agree) and usually find you pretty sane. Wasn't sure if it was time for the "special" jacket!

Old
11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Ok buddy lol. Just checkin lol. Always find your posts interesting and good (don't always agree) and usually find you pretty sane. Wasn't sure if it was time for the "special" jacket!
The special jacket hmmm, probably soon, I go from the 162 game disaster known as Mets baseball to the 7 game losing streak known as Isles Hockey and now have the 4 game losing streak of Nets basketball.

At least the Giants never let me down until December.

Old
11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
I think in hockey the only player that I can recall from recent memory that could be a forward/dman was Ken Klee.
Uh, Dustin Byfuglein?

Old
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Uh, Dustin Byfuglein?
I don't really consider Byfuglien's switch that successful.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
On Edge

Quote:
I don't really consider Byfuglien's switch that successful.
There is always Chef Bruno....

Old
11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Islander Prophet

Mark Streit was a forward in Montreal

Old
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
TexMurphyPI

DiPietro has to either play in the NHL or retire, going down to Bridgeport will only hurt the development of the younger guys there.

We have 3 guys down there, add in Dipietro who will get he bulk of the games and the young guys don't play. And 1 will be back up to Rollie and again won't play much. The prospects need to play as much as possible, which is a problem right now with 3, so no need to make it worse.

Not sure if ECHL would be good for 1 of the young guys or not, I don't know too much about the level of play to determine if that's a better option.

Old
11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Hockey_Dude View Post
DiPietro has to either play in the NHL or retire, going down to Bridgeport will only hurt the development of the younger guys there.

We have 3 guys down there, add in Dipietro who will get he bulk of the games and the young guys don't play. And 1 will be back up to Rollie and again won't play much. The prospects need to play as much as possible, which is a problem right now with 3, so no need to make it worse.

Not sure if ECHL would be good for 1 of the young guys or not, I don't know too much about the level of play to determine if that's a better option.
Great post

Old
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
ales83fan

So what is the down low on this guy? How many games is he starting?

I have an option of dropping Khabibulin for Dipietro.....would that be smart? I would save some salary (it's a cap regulated league)....but not very much. What do you guys think?

Old
11-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
So what is the down low on this guy? How many games is he starting?

I have an option of dropping Khabibulin for Dipietro.....would that be smart? I would save some salary (it's a cap regulated league)....but not very much. What do you guys think?
He hasn't started in a few weeks.

I wouldn't touch him with a 100 foot pole in a fantasy league.

Old
11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

You guys really should send this guy to the minors, I know you need his cap hit to stay above the floor but there's a small chance he'll be able to become good with some AHL time(two or three years lol), but it's better than paying him to start a few games a month where he's letting in a poopload of goals. It's sad to see a first overall wither away. He looked like he wouldn't bust in 2007. I understand the injuries thing but yeah, if the guy can't cut it in the NHL give him a stint in the AHL to find his game. A .919 SV% is pretty good.

Closed Thread