HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"NHL maintains their single-track approach."

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2005, 04:52 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
The downfall is that Bettman and the owners group patience and solidarity will also be tested by this option .. Big market owners like Our leafs lost a lot of money last season by not playing .. Do you believe that the longer this goes particularly if it goes into next year that the pressure from within the Owners group is going to get near unbearable as well .. Some of these teams made money under the old system .. The 24% would have put most in a favourable financial position and any of these other NHLPA proposals would allow the majority of owners to make a profit if them became good businessmen .. So some point will come when not playing will make less sense for most .. IMO ..

and vice versa .. Some of the small market owners are robbing the War Chest already to pay the bills.. All owners put in 10 mil to draw from, what happens as that dries up for some .. pressure to accept any CBA to get season ticket money may become a matter of survival ..
Nobody knows who's going to give up first.

Old
04-20-2005, 04:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
Nobody knows who's going to give up first.
Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said the union concept has its merits, "if you work the numbers right."

tsn.ca

Old
04-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Anyone that reports anything other than owners are perfect and players are stupid, greedy, uneducated twerps are NHLPA schills.
You don't have to convince me .. You have read some of the responses to my posts during the lockout that I have received...

Old
04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
So some point will come when not playing will make less sense for most
I think you are right and I think there are some teams for which this already applies. The question is will it make sense for 23 or more teams to start playing without the salary cap system they want? Unless at least that many teams decide they want to play Bettman can keep the lock out going.

Old
04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said the union concept has its merits, "if you work the numbers right."

tsn.ca
Ummm... it's a glimer of hope but still hardly conclusive.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
cleduc

Quote:
NHL has never negotiated during these talks, they just keep putting their pre-packaged 6 proposals on the table at each meeting.

NHL has no intention of coming to a settlement. They want either complete surrender, no union, or replacement players.
The NHLPA has never negotiated during these talks. They rarely put proposals on the table - about three times in six years and they continually delay the meetings.

The NHLPA has no intention of coming to a settlement. They want the NHL to conitnue to lose money and don't want to put the game ahead of their egos and greed.

Old
05-19-2005, 08:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Two trains on that track now ... both headed towards

So now the owners have two-two trains headed towards them on that same track.

NBA and PA have broke off talks.

"Eight NHL team owners also own National Basketball Association clubs. Another is a partner with an NBA team owner in the arena their teams share.

Almost half the NHL club owners who own their buildings or arena leases have NBA teams as tenants. Two NHL owners also have ownership of Major League Baseball teams. One owns an NFL club, one a pro soccer team.
"

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/sto...103/SP_006.htm

Talk about changing bargaining positions.

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-19-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old
05-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
The NBA will have a deal no later than mid September. For them, it's a difference of opinions in money not principles.

Old
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
So now the owners have to trains headed towards them on that same track.

NBA and PA have broke off talks.

"Eight NHL team owners also own National Basketball Association clubs. Another is a partner with an NBA team owner in the arena their teams share.

Almost half the NHL club owners who own their buildings or arena leases have NBA teams as tenants. Two NHL owners also have ownership of Major League Baseball teams. One owns an NFL club, one a pro soccer team.
"

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050103/SP_006.htm

Talk about changing bargaining positions.
Ulf that is not leverage for the PA .. that is just

"Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" for the Owners

Old
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
bingo_vodun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
The NBA will have a deal no later than mid September. For them, it's a difference of opinions in money not principles.
I dissagree, although they may not completely disagree the difference is large enough so that, mentally they think that there is a large difference. It's like both really, are being Buddhist any different then being catholic, other then the ritual of being religious?

Also understand I know both Buddha, and Christianity. So if they have the same principles why disagree? It's just like the NBA.

Old
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo_vodun
are being Buddhist any different then being catholic, other then the ritual of being religious?
Gimme a steak any day of the week.

Old
05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Gimme a steak any day of the week.
Forward that "stake" to Professor Van Helsing, he will now what to do with it ..

Old
05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I agree. There is no way the NBA is going pull an NHL & have a work stoppage for an entire season.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Christ

By doing absolutely nothing the NHL is killing itself. If the NHL does not make some concessions to get the game going again, there will be no winner. How can there be? The strike has gone on too long. I mean even if the NHLPA eventually gives in to all of the demands of the NHL, the image of the NHL has been horribly damaged by this lockout. By not at least trying to appear like they are seriously negociating, the NHL is doing something stupid...

Regardless any concessions that the players decide to make, the fanbase (you know the element that neither side seems to consider at all during their negociations) is no longer as dedicated as it once was. Nor is it likely that this fanbase will recouver quickly if play ever resumes. The teams in States where hockey was having trouble are going to be even worse off than ever. I am predicting that many teams are going to have to fold as a result of this lockout, despite Bettman's desire to maintain a 30 team league.

Bettman and Goodnow have destroyed any possibility that hockey will thrive in many States because of the absolutely stupid way in which they handeled the negociations. I still do not see any evidence that they are seriously negociating. I do not believe that with Goodnow and Bettman in charge any progress will ever be made. If the NHL and NHLPA do not remove these men very soon, the NHL as we know it will cease to exist.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:33 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Well, i can see it's pretty much the NHL's fault now. In a desperate measure to save the season, the players have even agreed to a cap, but no.....it's gotta be a HARD cap, says the League.

Closed Thread