HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ready, Moss Sent Down

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 04:05 PM
fergo
Are we stopped?

vCash: 500
Ready, Moss Sent Down

Says so right here, eh?

http://www.canucks.com/news/pressrel...onID=31&id=318

Good sign for Kinger.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:06 PM
monster_bertuzzi

And Keane.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I must say I am very surprised King is still around. It only makes sense to keep him if he is going to play. Who is he bumping to press box duty? I'd guess one of May or Ruutu. Maybe Lindgren, but then who plays center?

Still curious to see if Burke signs Keane.

Personally, I'd rather see Ruutu play every day than King. Simply because of the roles they play.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

If anyone sits, it'll be Ruutu, given that May is likely to carry the enforcer title this season considering that Burke doesn't plan on doing anything else to replace Langdon. I'd like to see an opening night roster like this...

1 -Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
2 -D. Sedin-H. Sedin-King
3 -Cooke-Chubarov-Linden
3A -Arvedson-Lindgren-May

~Canucklehead~

10-05-2003, 05:08 PM
jeffbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
If anyone sits, it'll be Ruutu, given that May is likely to carry the enforcer title this season considering that Burke doesn't plan on doing anything else to replace Langdon. I'd like to see an opening night roster like this...

1 -Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
2 -D. Sedin-H. Sedin-King
3 -Cooke-Chubarov-Linden
3A -Arvedson-Lindgren-May

~Canucklehead~
Now that King seems to have won a spot, is it the general consensus that Arvedson has "lost" his place with the Sedins and is now on a checking line with Lindgren and May? I thought Burke and Crow thought he was a "top 6 forward" and as such would get placed on an appropriate line. Playing with these pluggers wouldn't do much to help is offense.

Having said all that, I don't think King has that much more to learn down on the farm. Yes he's only had one year, but it was a solid first season. It's time to see what he can do. Too bad Reid didn't get the same chance, but King has outplayed all the prospects.

What current NHL'er would you compare to King to....and his potential? It seems he's a good hockey sense kind of guy, not terriblly physical, but in the right spots both on offense and defense.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:09 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
If King can't handle the load early, he will be sent down. Much like Fedor Fedorov last year.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrown
Now that King seems to have won a spot, is it the general consensus that Arvedson has "lost" his place with the Sedins and is now on a checking line with Lindgren and May? I thought Burke and Crow thought he was a "top 6 forward" and as such would get placed on an appropriate line. Playing with these pluggers wouldn't do much to help is offense.

Having said all that, I don't think King has that much more to learn down on the farm. Yes he's only had one year, but it was a solid first season. It's time to see what he can do. Too bad Reid didn't get the same chance, but King has outplayed all the prospects.

What current NHL'er would you compare to King to....and his potential? It seems he's a good hockey sense kind of guy, not terriblly physical, but in the right spots both on offense and defense.
Jeff Brown - really good post.

I would compare King in style only to Brett Hull, however don't expect a superstar. King can score, but the jury is out in terms of what intangibles he can bring to the rink.

As for Arvedson, I would assume that there's a good change that he will be moved around for the first 10 games of the season until we can find a fit. I have a feeling he'll eventually find a home alongside Chubarov, and the lines in the end will look something like this:

Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi
Sedin/Sedin/Linden
Arvedson/Chubarov/Cooke
Ruutu/Lindgren/May

Where is King? Well, I do not think King will last a great deal of time. However, there is a chance he does. If so, expect Linden to be moved down to the 4th liner before Arvedson. Linden can bang and crash and that's what he'll be asked to do on the 4th line. Actually, to be honest, in a way I hope the lines end up like this:

Sedin/Sedin/King
Arvedson/Linden/Cooke
Ruutu/Chubarov/May

With Lindgren as the 13th forward. If King and the Sedin's are any good, that is ONE HELL of a forward lineup. It doesn't get much better than that in today's NHL.

Anyhow, what can we be assured of? That is that I think we can rest assured the days of seeing Linden on the power play are pretty much over. I do not think the organization sees him as a scorer anymore, even though he scored 19 goals last year. Unless Arvedson is a total failure, I doubt Linden is seen on the power play when we're a healthy squad.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:32 PM
iceburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Actually, to be honest, in a way I hope the lines end up like this:
Sedin/Sedin/King
Arvedson/Linden/Cooke
Ruutu/Chubarov/May
Good call. This is exactly how I think they should end up (at least to start the year.. we all know that Crawford doesn't keep lines together for long (with the exception of the WCE)). The Arvedson/Linden/Cooke line is a very solid third line and will, in fact, be closer to a second line as they will take a lot of minutes from Sedin/Sedin/King. This will take the pressure off of King and will give the appropriate minutes to Daniel based on his current capabilities. Henrik will get additional minutes on the pp. Ruutu/Chubarov/May adds a high energy line that is pretty solid defensively with Chubarov in the middle.
I think this line-up stacks up good against Colorado....

Old
10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Linden is a much better RW than a C.

It has been obvious every single time they ask Linden to convert back to center. He can certainly play C adequately, I am not disputing that. But he is definitely much more effective getting in hard on the forecheck, and using his size/speed in the corners and coming down the wing. Maybe others think differently, but every time Crow puts Linden at C, I barely notice him in the game. I for one would only use him at C if absolutely necesary due to injuries.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:46 PM
iceburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Linden is a much better RW than a C.

It has been obvious every single time they ask Linden to convert back to center. He can certainly play C adequately, I am not disputing that. But he is definitely much more effective getting in hard on the forecheck, and using his size/speed in the corners and coming down the wing. Maybe others think differently, but every time Crow puts Linden at C, I barely notice him in the game. I for one would only use him at C if absolutely necesary due to injuries.
I agree that Linden is much better on the wing. The problem is finding a better line-up overall with him on the wing. On the Arvedson/Linden/Cooke line you could always put Cooke at center but you end up with the same problem....Cooke has more impact as a winger than as a center. You could move Lindgren or Chubarov to the third line but that is a significant down grade and whoever moved to the fourth line (i.e. Linden, Cooke, Arvedson, King) wouldn't be getting enough ice time to make sense. To me, it seems to work best if one of Linden, Arvedson, or King play with the Sedins and the other three (including Cooke) form the third line. In this framework either Cooke or Linden have to play center.
If you can think of a better line-up with Linden on the wing let me know.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:48 AM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I don't think it would hurt to bump one of Arvedsson or Cooke to the 4th line. And keep Chubarov on the 3rd. I think he is poised for a solid 30 Pts this season, and he allowed our wingers to play most effective-which is on the wing.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg
I agree that Linden is much better on the wing. The problem is finding a better line-up overall with him on the wing. On the Arvedson/Linden/Cooke line you could always put Cooke at center but you end up with the same problem....Cooke has more impact as a winger than as a center. You could move Lindgren or Chubarov to the third line but that is a significant down grade and whoever moved to the fourth line (i.e. Linden, Cooke, Arvedson, King) wouldn't be getting enough ice time to make sense. To me, it seems to work best if one of Linden, Arvedson, or King play with the Sedins and the other three (including Cooke) form the third line. In this framework either Cooke or Linden have to play center.
If you can think of a better line-up with Linden on the wing let me know.
Naslund Morrison Bertuzzi
Sedin Sedin King
Cooke Chubarov Linden
Arvedson Lindgren May/Ruutu/Keane

Just my $0.02 worth.

Crawford rolls over 4 lines pretty consistently, not to mention all the juggling. Regardless of how the line combos look on paper, lines 2 through 4 usually receive comparable icetime. When you factor in all the pk icetime for Arvedson, Lindgren, Cooke, Chubarov, Linden, etc..the Canucks will have a balanced lineup as usual with regards to icetime amongst forwards. As stated in other above posts, if King doesn't produce in the first dozen games or so, he'll be back in Manitoba anyways.

When Arvedson was signed I only expected 35 points give or take a few, plus his excellent defensive presence and forechecking. Not a top six forward any way you look at it.

Also, Cooke doesn't like the right wing from what I've heard. Leave Cooke on the left, Linden on the right, and Lindgren at center. When Mats tweaks his back as per usual, either move Linden back to center, or hope Reid or Kesler are looking great in Winnipeg. Doesn't Keane also play some center as well? Or am I mistaken?

Thursday night can't come soon enough for me.

Of course, it's still my opinion to break up the WCE to spread out offense and lessen the negative impact the top line has in the defensive zone. But I realize I'm in the minority here.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:47 AM
maruk14

Rage .... agreed on your lineup, and I am with you in joining the minority on splitting up the big line. If King can't provide the secondary scoring along with the Twins this is how I would like to see it work out.

Arvedson/Cooke Mo Naslund
Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Arvedson/Cooke Chubarov Linden
May Lindgren King/Ruutu

If King continues to play well it all becomes moot.

Closed Thread