HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin or Staal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
  #1
fischy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Malkin or Staal?

What do you guys think the availability of Malkin or Staal are. By tradeing one of them, (they have 3 C, almost all elite) they could do what the Flames did last year by trading 1 quality plyer to fill out their roster a little better. With what I'm thinking, they would still be getting a qualiy player in return. I may be completly out to lunch here, and something one way or the other might need to be added, but here it goes....Maybhe it's a little too out there.

Cgy

Malkin or Staal
Dupuis (Other??)

Pit

Iginla
White
Forward or pick

Crosby would get the natural winger they've been looking for, and Pitt gets a 8.7 mil contract off the book, well they'd get Iginla for 2 more years at 7 mill, instead of 8.7 for 3 more years.

Calgary gets a real game changer that looks like needs a change of scenery, and with our depth of 20-30 goal wingers we have, he could make a lot of them better.

I don't know, I've convinced myself it would make sense for both teams... Maybe Malkin at 8.7 mil would still require more than what I'd offer...


Last edited by fischy13: 11-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:50 AM
  #2
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,716
vCash: 500
I would do the Iginla for Malkin deal, although I am sure Pittsburg won't. You just don't get centres like Malkin and Pittsburg has 2 of them that will keep contenders to win the Cup year after year for a long time. Trading Malking for Iginla dramatically shortens how long they will be in that position. They currently have 2 power lines and this trade would give them just one.

That would leave the Staal deal, which I would pass on. I like Staal, but he is a very good 2nd line centre at this point in his career. If we trade Iggy it needs to be for first round draft picks and a very good prospect.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:00 AM
  #3
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I would do the Iginla for Malkin deal, although I am sure Pittsburg won't. You just don't get centres like Malkin and Pittsburg has 2 of them that will keep contenders to win the Cup year after year for a long time. Trading Malking for Iginla dramatically shortens how long they will be in that position. They currently have 2 power lines and this trade would give them just one.

That would leave the Staal deal, which I would pass on. I like Staal, but he is a very good 2nd line centre at this point in his career. If we trade Iggy it needs to be for first round draft picks and a very good prospect.
Agreed.

Everyone knows I'd love to see staal rocking the red jersey, but not at the expense of Iginla. I do however believe that Staal has 1B or 2A potential in him and he'd be our best centremen if we could acquire him by other means.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
  #4
flamesfan5
Registered User
 
flamesfan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I would do the Iginla for Malkin deal, although I am sure Pittsburg won't. You just don't get centres like Malkin and Pittsburg has 2 of them that will keep contenders to win the Cup year after year for a long time. Trading Malking for Iginla dramatically shortens how long they will be in that position. They currently have 2 power lines and this trade would give them just one.

That would leave the Staal deal, which I would pass on. I like Staal, but he is a very good 2nd line centre at this point in his career. If we trade Iggy it needs to be for first round draft picks and a very good prospect.
I agree as well, but do you really see Iggy pulling in that great of a package anymore?

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
  #5
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 500
Lol Malkin or Staal, if you had to think about that then something is wrong with you

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
  #6
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 137
I would do a trade based around Iginla and Malkin in a heartbeat, although i don't see Malkin being available now, possibly next season, i think Iggy would win a cup with Crosby, I'd throw in a winger prospect(s) and try get a 1st outta it, which would be a steal so i doubt that would happen, but god, that would be ideal for me, ifwe could land malkin

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
  #7
fischy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Lol Malkin or Staal, if you had to think about that then something is wrong with you
I don't mean who would you rather have, but if we could get one or the other, what would you think was a fair trade off involving Iginla.....I am assuming Pit doesn't really have the need for 3 centermen of that calibre and maybe there is a trade out there for the right winger.

fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
  #8
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,716
vCash: 500
From a finanicial prespective if this trade were to ever happen with Pittsburg and Calgary involving Iggy, Malkin would have to be the one coming back. Its just not possible for Pittsburg to have Crosby, Malkin and Iggy all under contract. Which is why I don't see these teams ever trading, which is to bad. I'd like to see Iggy play with Crosby, I think they would win a Cup for sure.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
  #9
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'd like to see Iggy play with Crosby, I think they would win a Cup for sure.
One of the great urban legions is that Crosby and Iggy had great chemistry together.

Crosby was overshawdowed by Toews, among others. He looked worse than the regular season.

Iggy only scored in two games, both very weak opponenets, and was even benched in the third period of the gold medal game.

Pittsburgh, like most teams, is up agaisnt the cap limit. Iggy at $7M is simply not na good expenditure of money.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
  #10
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
One of the great urban legions is that Crosby and Iggy had great chemistry together.

Crosby was overshawdowed by Toews, among others. He looked worse than the regular season.

Iggy only scored in two games, both very weak opponenets, and was even benched in the third period of the gold medal game.

Pittsburgh, like most teams, is up agaisnt the cap limit. Iggy at $7M is simply not na good expenditure of money.
ahh, so thats why Babcock (one of the/if not the best coach in the league) put Iginla and Crosby on the ice for a crucial Gold Medal OT, because they had no chemistry, makes sense i suppose

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:53 AM
  #11
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
ahh, so thats why Babcock (one of the/if not the best coach in the league) put Iginla and Crosby on the ice for a crucial Gold Medal OT, because they had no chemistry, makes sense i suppose
Everyone is basing the Crosby/Iggy chemistry on one goal, when Iggy was simply a placeholder in the transaction.

Crosby/Iggy didn't accomplish alot together in the Olympics other during the Norway and Germany contests. I'd base "chemistry" on an entire series vs. one shift.

And I didn't say they had no chemistry, I said they didn't have great chemistry.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
  #12
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Everyone is basing the Crosby/Iggy chemistry on one goal, when Iggy was simply a placeholder in the transaction.

Crosby/Iggy didn't accomplish alot together in the Olympics other during the Norway and Germany contests. I'd base "chemistry" on an entire series vs. one shift.

And I didn't say they had no chemistry, I said they didn't have great chemistry.
For the little amount of time they got to play together they looked great. If you think Crosby and Iggy wouldn't rip it up then you're off your rocker! Babcock even said that Iginla was one of his best players at the olympics and he was extremely grateful to have him on his team.

Just because Iginla looks like **** currently in CGY does not mean he wouldn't be a formidable weapon if he played with the likes of Crosby, Thorton, Stamkos etc...Those kind of players can make a 4th line plug great.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:21 AM
  #13
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Everyone is basing the Crosby/Iggy chemistry on one goal, when Iggy was simply a placeholder in the transaction.

Crosby/Iggy didn't accomplish alot together in the Olympics other during the Norway and Germany contests. I'd base "chemistry" on an entire series vs. one shift.

And I didn't say they had no chemistry, I said they didn't have great chemistry.
well the little chemistry came up clutch and won canada a gold,but anyways, imagine if they practiced together on a daily basis, once those two got in sync it would be nasty and i have no clue why you would even argue that.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:00 AM
  #14
debil
Registered User
 
debil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nitra, Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Pens aint gonna trade Malkin. I'd do Malkin - Iginla trade but this just ain't gonna happen.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
  #15
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 500
If we went into a total rebuild, I wonder if Kipper + Iggy could get us Malkin + some stuff (minus figuring out the cap hits) heh.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:58 PM
  #16
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
If we went into a total rebuild, I wonder if Kipper + Iggy could get us Malkin + some stuff (minus figuring out the cap hits) heh.
I doubt that the Penquins can afford to take on $13M of cap hit without giving up players like Malkin, who they have no intention of giving up, unless it was for a Kane type player (young and good).

They don't need Kipper, they alreadt have an expensive goaltender who has won them a Cup.

Iggy needs to go to a team which is on the cusp of contending, has cap room, and a desire to spend quite a bit of money. Even then, if his present production doesn't increase, there is likely a limited a limited market for Iggy.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.