HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#15: Flyers @ Capitals - Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010 - 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
ApeZilla

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Good choice IMO. For some reason, the flyers just don't like coming out to play when boosh is in net
It's because Bob doesn't let in weak goals. That is Boucher and Leighton's problem in my opinion. We have a good defense and it's back breaking when your goalie lets in weak ones.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Let's make it 7 in a row.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

We are going to need to take advantage of their goalies. Neuvirth has cooled down and his alst two games havent been good. Then they have Holtby who is a 21 yr old goalie who played in the ECHL and AHL last season. Gotta bring it hard

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Laliberte didnt look that good.. He did have points but he floated the whole time. I knew some of us didnt want him on a scoring line, even when he put the points up.

JVR hasnt done anything. Its fine to sit him over a guy who is playing well.
JVR hasnt put up points, his overall play has been fine. Sit someone else then. The coach doesnt have the balls to do that though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Thank you MSE, Laviolette doesn't seem to have a problem starting goalies in back to backs like Steven's did so maybe we'll see Bob. I was thinking it could also be possible they are playing Bob as much as possible before Leighton returns for 2 reasons;

1. To see how he handles being a true number 1.
2. Maybe waiting for him to falter, even slightly, so they would have an excuse to put Leighton back in without backlash.

Obviously he is playing great and I think the Flyers are happy to be stuck with the hard decision they will have to make shortly.
I think Laviolette was guarded against a tepid effort last night and started Bob as a measure of resistance against failure. I can see the logic.

Different circumstances, but if you remember the 11-game road trip in the 2005-06 season: the Flyers were 7-1-1 entering the final two games against a weak Chicago team and a strong Detroit team. Niitty was playing well but the discussion was should Niitty start both games or give the backup the Chicago game. The team needed a strong third period in Chicago. Niitty was awesome against Detroit until the team fell apart in the third period.

BTW, anyone remember who the Flyers backup goalie was at that time (Esche was injured) who was a possibility to start against Chicago?

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
JVR hasnt put up points, his overall play has been fine. Sit someone else then. The coach doesnt have the balls to do that though.
Other then Shelly who do you sit? Pretty much everyone else except Zherdev has played as hard as JVR and putting up points. Wellwood and Nodl have looked good and bring it hard. Plus they seem to have some sort of chemistry and were cycling it in the zone last night.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Part of playing well is putting up points. He is a forward, simply playing good D isn't enough.

Questioning Laviolette's nerve? Really? The man predicts wins on national TV, from the bench, while his team is down two goals. I think whether or not he is a ballsy guy is beyond question at this point.

You are just a grumpy old fool.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
phillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
two russians = russian all star team? the flyers have two russians, don't they?
No, we have one russian, one ukrainian, one latvian. We have Soviet Red Army team.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Part of playing well is putting up points. He is a forward, simply playing good D isn't enough.

Questioning Laviolette's nerve? Really? The man predicts wins on national TV, from the bench, while his team is down two goals. I think whether or not he is a ballsy guy is beyond question at this point.

You are just a grumpy old fool.
Your right putting up points is a big part. I forgot about that aspect.
wow, he predicted a win. That is unprecedented.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Wellwood out; Briere in tonight. Bob in goal. Nodl in. JVR out.
DNFlyers

I would just send Wellwood back, being honest. No reason for him to sit.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
ApeZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I think Laviolette was guarded against a tepid effort last night and started Bob as a measure of resistance against failure. I can see the logic.

Different circumstances, but if you remember the 11-game road trip in the 2005-06 season: the Flyers were 7-1-1 entering the final two games against a weak Chicago team and a strong Detroit team. Niitty was playing well but the discussion was should Niitty start both games or give the backup the Chicago game. The team needed a strong third period in Chicago. Niitty was awesome against Detroit until the team fell apart in the third period.

BTW, anyone remember who the Flyers backup goalie was at that time (Esche was injured) who was a possibility to start against Chicago?
I remember the road trip, but not who the back up goalie was. What do you think happens when Leighton comes back?

Old
11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
jb**

Quote:
Other then Shelly who do you sit? Pretty much everyone else except Zherdev has played as hard as JVR and putting up points. Wellwood and Nodl have looked good and bring it hard. Plus they seem to have some sort of chemistry and were cycling it in the zone last night.
They have looked good, not great, not like it would be devasting if they were not in the lineup. JVR needs to play. If it is over one of those 2 than so be it. JVR is more valuable right now.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
They have looked good, not great, not like it would be devasting if they were not in the lineup. JVR needs to play. If it is over one of those 2 than so be it. JVR is more valuable right now.
I guess to Lavy, he plays the player that is going to play hard and put up points. He isnt there to make players feel good. He plays the players who he thinks deserves to play in the lineup (well except Shelly). Like tonight JVR isnt playing again. Sitting a player who hasnt look good isnt going to end his development. Hopefully it helps it.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
I remember the road trip, but not who the back up goalie was. What do you think happens when Leighton comes back?
I'll leave the question open. Hint: the goalie never played for the Flyers.

Leighton: There is no way in hell Bobrovsky should sit if the team continues on a roll. Much can happen to when Leighton does return but it would be absolutely foolish to disrupt what this team has currently. That said, there is going to be an eventual need to use two goalies.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:29 PM
jb**

Quote:
I guess to Lavy, he plays the player that is going to play hard and put up points. He isnt there to make players feel good. He plays the players who he thinks deserves to play in the lineup (well except Shelly). Like tonight JVR isnt playing again. Sitting a player who hasnt look good isnt going to end his development. Hopefully it helps it.
Disagree with that as it is proven that isnt correct. Again disagree

Old
11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
TheLegendkiller

JVR sophomore slump to the max is in full effect this season. Poor kid. I feel like his mentality is really fragile.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Disagree with that as it is proven that isnt correct. Again disagree
Its good. Most of us here agree with the decision, and dont think he was playing well. I dont think sitting JVR really hurts the team or himself.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Would rather Carcillo or Shelley sit

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
HoverCarle*

apparently Holtby might start for washington

Old
11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Nice, I get RIS! Great GDT and song choice!

Caught a few minutes of the 3rd period at the pub last night, they looked good!

Go Flyers Go!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:39 PM
ApeZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
Nice, I get RIS! Great GDT and song choice!

Caught a few minutes of the 3rd period at the pub last night, they looked good!

Go Flyers Go!
That is why you thought they looked good. I'm proud of them for gutting out a win, but they can't have the first 40 minutes they had last night again today. Thankfully I think they know that too.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Its good. Most of us here agree with the decision, and dont think he was playing well. I dont think sitting JVR really hurts the team or himself.
I agree about the team, but we still need to develop this kid. Just because the Flyers have a stanley cup contender now, dosent mean we cant look into the future. JvR, until proven otherwise is a huge part of the future, I know hes a big kid and bigger players have a harder time getting adjusted to the NHL. Its the truth, he still needs ice time and as ive said 1 milllion times, PP time. Even when he was playing good in the first few games, he would come on for the last 20 seconds of the PP, even when Richie/Carts/Harts were playing awful.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Would rather Carcillo or Shelley sit
One thing I am happy with is Lavy stopped the Carcillo on a scoring line idea. Him on the 4th line doesnt hurt or help the team so scratching him and/or Shelly wont do much.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
HoverCarle*

Z sat 2 games, so I guess JVR will too

Old
11-07-2010, 02:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I agree about the team, but we still need to develop this kid. Just because the Flyers have a stanley cup contender now, dosent mean we cant look into the future. JvR, until proven otherwise is a huge part of the future, I know hes a big kid and bigger players have a harder time getting adjusted to the NHL. Its the truth, he still needs ice time and as ive said 1 milllion times, PP time. Even when he was playing good in the first few games, he would come on for the last 20 seconds of the PP, even when Richie/Carts/Harts were playing awful.
You play the players who you think are going to put up points on the powerplay and deserve it.

Who do you take out on the pp if you want JVR playing?

Giroux-Richards-Carter-Leino-Hartnell-Briere

Pretty much all 6 of these players have looked good on the pp. Even Hartnell who is hated by most has looked pretty good so far this season.