HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You are GM, What Do You Do?

View Poll Results: Which Choice Do you make?
Sign Giroux/Leino to contracts, trade Carter? 27 32.93%
Sign Giroux, and lock Carter into a Richards type deal? 25 30.49%
Sign Carter/Leino and trade Giroux? 0 0%
Move a Dman and sign all three including NTC/NMC's? 30 36.59%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
As much as I like Carter, I have felt very strongly he feels out of place on this roster. Some are saying we don't have any center prospects, which is true. However there are teams out there that have center prospects and do not have 5 centers on their main roster. Giroux is going to get a deal, Richards and Briere are already here for a very long time. Those are our top 9 centers for a few years to come, I don't know how anyone can justify keeping Carter and losing wings/defense and not having any center prospects.
1) Briere is only viable at center as long as his line is outscoring his defensive shortcomings. He also will almost surely not finish off his contract with us as an effective center, and has already displayed some serious injury liability issues.

2) Jeff Carter scores goals... a lot of 'em... at even strength. Something the other guys you are talking about struggle at comparatively.

I don't know how anyone can casually talk about dealing away a proven 30+ goal scorer in the NHL that is only in his mid 20s, but that's me.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
We don't really have five centers. We have five players that can play center, but two of them are natural wingers and more then capable at playing wing.
I say 5 centers because of Bett's but I'm not about to argue about 4th line centerman, they are easy to come by imo.

Richards, Briere, Giroux, and Carter all play better at center. As much as everyone on this board agrees it would be great if Carter or Briere played the wing better than they do at center, it just has never happened, they've tried it before, they are doing it now but monetarily I just don't think they can do that forever.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:16 PM
ApeZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1) Briere is only viable at center as long as his line is outscoring his defensive shortcomings. He also will almost surely not finish off his contract with us as an effective center, and has already displayed some serious injury liability issues.

2) Jeff Carter scores goals... a lot of 'em... at even strength. Something the other guys you are talking about struggle at comparatively.

I don't know how anyone can casually talk about dealing away a proven 30+ goal scorer in the NHL that is only in his mid 20s, but that's me.
I'd much rather not have Briere in a contract with a NMC, you know that. They tried Briere at wing a few times during the last 2 years, and he disappeared off the stat sheet. Furthermore he publicly noted he didn't prefer to play wing in interviews.

Last edited by ApeZilla: 11-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'd much rather not have Briere in a contract with a NMC, you know that. They tried Briere at wing a few times during the last 2 years, and he disappeared off the stat sheet. Furthermore he publicly noted he didn't prefer to play wing in interviews.
This is a completely false statement. Go look it up.

Briere produced just as well at even strength last year as he has throughout his career (outside of the two post-lockout years in Buffalo). Briere's production drop last year came from him not producing on the PP as much as he did in previous years... had nothing to do with him playing wing.

And, frankly, I couldn't care less if Briere prefers center to wing. If he liked it so much he should have committed himself to learning how to play effective defense as a center, or at least TRYING to play D when he's a center.

Old
11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
ApeZilla

What I really want (because I do love Carter) is for either Briere (who we are stuck with unfortunately) or Carter to effectively move to the wing. I understand Carter is kind of sharing wing/center with Giroux at the moment. You are clearly very high on Carter, which anyone should be, so would you agree that his maximum potential is going to be reached when he is regularly centering a stable line?

Old
11-07-2010, 03:36 PM
ApeZilla

Here is the main problem, if they keep Carter, they are going to be paying him for what they know he CAN do, but what they don't have roster space to let him do. I really like Carter, but the reluctance to put Briere on the wing and leave Carter at center has to do with the organization, not whether Briere wants to. Carter and Briere have both stated they prefer to play center. Do you or I really care what they prefer to play? Of course not, but the organization clearly does. I think the godly hartnell-briere-leino line looked great with Carter at center.

Old
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Briere was great on wing last year. He and Carter played awesome together

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
What I really want (because I do love Carter) is for either Briere (who we are stuck with unfortunately) or Carter to effectively move to the wing. I understand Carter is kind of sharing wing/center with Giroux at the moment. You are clearly very high on Carter, which anyone should be, so would you agree that his maximum potential is going to be reached when he is regularly centering a stable line?
I prefer Briere at wing, as he's perfectly effective as a RW.

Carter can be an effective wing, but he's not going to maximize his game playing RW... he needs to be on the LW with his stick facing the open ice (there's a reason "shooter" wings play with their stick in the middle of the ice generally, as opposed to along the wall).

Old
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
ApeZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I prefer Briere at wing, as he's perfectly effective as a RW.

Carter can be an effective wing, but he's not going to maximize his game playing RW... he needs to be on the LW with his stick facing the open ice (there's a reason "shooter" wings play with their stick in the middle of the ice generally, as opposed to along the wall).
Why is it then, that even with Briere's defensive shortcomings, Carter is the one to get moved around? Having Richards, Carter, Giroux up the middle makes sense years from now right? Then why is that not happening now when it makes just as much sense? I wish they'd leave Briere at wing and let Carter finally settle into a center role.

Old
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Why is it then, that even with Briere's defensive shortcomings, Carter is the one to get moved around? Having Richards, Carter, Giroux up the middle makes sense years from now right? Then why is that not happening now when it makes just as much sense? I wish they'd leave Briere at wing and let Carter finally settle into a center role.
Why does Shelley keep getting a spot over guys that deserve it? Because the world's not perfect.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
ApeZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Why does Shelley keep getting a spot over guys that deserve it? Because the world's not perfect.
Shelly is a 4th liner who;
1.Doesn't get a lot of ice time.
2.Doesn't cost you anything (although he is overpayed, I meant 4th liners in general.
3.Will never be worth anything in a deal.

He (or 4th liners in general) has nothing to do with the salary cap implications that will arise, fitting 4 centers into our top 9 forwards, or our depleted prospect pool. You just gave an ambiguous answer to a legitimate question.

While I don't want to see the Flyer's deal Carter, they've shown they are not hesitant to move Carter around on the roster and have given a center position over him to Briere, a player who I agree more naturally fits the wing.

Old
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why did Briere play RW pretty much all of last year until Carter got hurt?

Hartnell-Briere-Leino tore it up in the playoffs and deserves a chance to see if they can keep it up... if they can, then there will not be any complaints. The problem is/was that what they were doing then was unsustainable stuff... just too good. Briere gives up a LOT going the other way, and that's a problem. He needs to outscore his own suck in order to be an effective player.

No one is going to mistake Carter for a Selke winner, but he's an effective defensive center and he's produced (a lot more, actually) at even strength from that position.

Old
11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but one important thing to note, is that after this season O'Donnell might be done, though he is currently playing an average of 16 minutes a night so maybe he has another season in him. If O'Donnell is gone are you still comfortable trading another defense man? That would mean we might have Bartulis, and either a phantom or a cheap free agent as our bottom pairing.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote