HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do I roll off a hit?

Old
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Iplayhockehh

vCash: 500
How do I roll off a hit?

Hey Guys.

Im a small guy playing in a contact league.(5"4 playing in midget). I'm a good skater who knows how to use my edges, but I've heard something about rolling off a hit. What is that? How can I do that? What else can I work on to become stronger on my skates?

Thanks guys.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Lario Melieux*

Hmmm... I would describe it as a situation where a guy is coming at you from the side, and you kind of shield the puck from him, taking the impact on the back of your shoulder while standing up or rotating that shoulder back to kinda push him off, kinda like a power move I guess.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Magnum Crackoff

As a hockey amateur it is hard to tell exactly what it is but what Lario Melieux seems right.

Rolling off a hit would be, in my guess, to absorb a hit while placing the puck where you want it to be. So when your stance is solid you get to take the puck back first.

Perhaps 360'ing through the hit or across the boards could help.

Magnum Crackoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:34 AM
timekeep

put your weight on the foot that is on the same side as the hitter. you can then put your weight to your outside foot and spin if you like.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:11 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
put your weight on the foot that is on the same side as the hitter. you can then put your weight to your outside foot and spin if you like.
Good advice. If you have the weight on the opposite foot to begin with, you'll get knocked on your *** and possibly injured.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
Hey Guys.

Im a small guy playing in a contact league.(5"4 playing in midget). I'm a good skater who knows how to use my edges, but I've heard something about rolling off a hit. What is that? How can I do that? What else can I work on to become stronger on my skates?

Thanks guys.
Ok, here are some drills that you can use to help you with this....

Head Coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 11-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Head Coach
just put in whats after the equals sign

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
just put in whats after the equals sign
Cool....thanks for the help!

Old
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
canuck44

Quote:

Head Coach
Quite possibly the funniest drills I've ever seen

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Quite possibly the funniest drills I've ever seen
Really, that's every interesting that you would say that. His coach now has 2 kids that are in line to be drafted, two play in major Juniors and one is going into the WHL next year. These funny drills are from a European coach who currently has a Student playing for the NJ Devils making $10 million dollars a year. You are right...that is funny!

Head coach

Old
11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Really, that's every interesting that you would say that. His coach now has 2 kids that are in line to be drafted, two play in major Juniors and one is going into the WHL next year. These funny drills are from a European coach who currently has a Student playing for the NJ Devils making $10 million dollars a year. You are right...that is funny!

Head coach
LOL do you always get so sarcastic/defensive when someone makes a comment about something you said? I didn't say the drills were useless, it's hard to deny the fact that they just plain look funny

Old
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
SERE 24
LGR

It's all about anticipation. I played in college so I've dealt with plenty of contact and it's all about anticipating the hit and adjusting your weight/position to absorb/glance off of the checker as the impact is made. Sometimes this involves literally rolling or spinning off of the check by planting your weight like timekeep mentions, but it's also just about positioning yourself so that he only gets a glancing blow at your shoulder rather than getting good contact with your chest or shoulder. Either way it's 100% anticipation. But not anticipating the hit and tensing up or trying to shy away from it... not just anticipating that you will be hit but anticipating where the hit is coming from and where it's going to make contact so that you can shift your weight and position to take the least of it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

Head coach

Unless his student is Kovy than ??? The other poster is right, I frequently see you get very defensive of your material when you really don't have to. I think you take the "head coach" title a little too seriously. Saying "those are some of the funniest looking drills I've ever seen" doesn't even question their effectiveness it just says they look funny. You shouldn't get so defensive.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Unless his student is Kovy than ??? The other poster is right, I frequently see you get very defensive of your material when you really don't have to. I think you take the "head coach" title a little too seriously. Saying "those are some of the funniest looking drills I've ever seen" doesn't even question their effectiveness it just says they look funny. You shouldn't get so defensive.
Kovy is averaging $6.7 a year

I can't thing of a single hockey player making more than $7+ a year.

yes the drills look funny, yes HC can get his undies bunched up on a hair trigger at times.

Yes HC is very helpful at times too.

Peace out Ya'll!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
It's all about anticipation. I played in college so I've dealt with plenty of contact and it's all about anticipating the hit and adjusting your weight/position to absorb/glance off of the checker as the impact is made. Sometimes this involves literally rolling or spinning off of the check by planting your weight like timekeep mentions, but it's also just about positioning yourself so that he only gets a glancing blow at your shoulder rather than getting good contact with your chest or shoulder. Either way it's 100% anticipation. But not anticipating the hit and tensing up or trying to shy away from it... not just anticipating that you will be hit but anticipating where the hit is coming from and where it's going to make contact so that you can shift your weight and position to take the least of it.
I'm a smaller guy, 5'8 ~150lbs, but I have a good sense of balance and strength in my lower body. So it was really hard for other guys to knock me over. When i was about to get hit, I'd make sure to turn my shoulder towards the hit and just dig my far side skate into the ice. Of course I couldn't defy physics, so I'd get pushed back like a foot on the ice like I was coming to a stop. Of course I had my moments where I just got absolutely steamrolled, but **** happens lol. I remember getting hit by a guy in Junior and going airborne because I didn't anticipate the hit at all.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
LOL do you always get so sarcastic/defensive when someone makes a comment about something you said? I didn't say the drills were useless, it's hard to deny the fact that they just plain look funny
Sacastic? Sometimes, I guess it comes with age. Not that I am trying to make excuses for my asinine comments. But, like i have posted so many times on this site...I don't have all of the answers. But, then I provide the site with information, just take it for what it worth. You don't have to do it, in fact, I don't know how many times over the last 32 years in the industry I have seen stuff where I have said...please, you have got to be kidding, right! But, people do the funniest things....including me!

Head coach

Old
11-03-2010, 10:39 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Sacastic? Sometimes, I guess it comes with age. Not that I am trying to make excuses for my asinine comments. But, like i have posted so many times on this site...I don't have all of the answers. But, then I provide the site with information, just take it for what it worth. You don't have to do it, in fact, I don't know how many times over the last 32 years in the industry I have seen stuff where I have said...please, you have got to be kidding, right! But, people do the funniest things....including me!

Head coach
Maybe it's the beers, but the 2nd half of your post is making no sense to me.

Anyway back to the video you posted, I watched and actually went "wow I didn't think any drills could isolate motions like that and improve those exact things". As soon as I saw it, I realized it'd be very helpful. But that still doesn't change the fact that you look like a clown while you're doing it...

Old
11-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
a good bit of advice would be something my coach taught me when i was younger and that is hit them before they hit you. You see someone coming to hit ya put your shoulder down and drive through them

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
a good bit of advice would be something my coach taught me when i was younger and that is hit them before they hit you. You see someone coming to hit ya put your shoulder down and drive through them
Good advice, thanks.

Im still not completely sure what you guy's are talking about.
If a guy is about to him me, do I hit him back and then roll away using my outside edge?

Old
11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
Good advice, thanks.

Im still not completely sure what you guy's are talking about.
If a guy is about to him me, do I hit him back and then roll away using my outside edge?
It's so dependent on the hit. If so guy is coming at you weak, plow/lunge into him and take him out. If he's coming at you strong, brace yourself with a wide stance and angle/roll away from direct contact like Zetterqvist/timekeep suggested. If you're about to absolutely get murdered by a massive hit, get out of the way, even if it means looking like a puss and diving to the ice!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It's so dependent on the hit. If so guy is coming at you weak, plow/lunge into him and take him out. If he's coming at you strong, brace yourself with a wide stance and angle/roll away from direct contact like Zetterqvist/timekeep suggested. If you're about to absolutely get murdered by a massive hit, get out of the way, even if it means looking like a puss and diving to the ice!
Thanks Buddy.

Old
11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
canuck44

Quote:
^ not cool. I had a guy just flop to the ice and I was about to crush him into the boards. I somehow ended up going face first into the boards after I tripped over him and thank god I had a cage on. My cage hit the top edge of the boards where the glass starts. If I didn't have a cage on, I definitely would've needed some serious work done...

Old
11-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Gerbox 360

I think the actual key has been said in this thread just seperately. I look at it in 3 key areas. Anticipation. That's the first and most important. If you know it's coming you have many many more options about how you want to deal with it. Secondly, you need to plant your foot that is closest to the hitter. Thirdly. Plant your shoulder directly into theirs as they hit you.

All three were mentioned, but I find if you have all 3, everything should go fine. Unless you're 5'4 getting plowed by Pronger. Then you never had a chance to begin with.

Gerbox 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:07 PM
ponder

Quote:
^ not cool. I had a guy just flop to the ice and I was about to crush him into the boards. I somehow ended up going face first into the boards after I tripped over him and thank god I had a cage on. My cage hit the top edge of the boards where the glass starts. If I didn't have a cage on, I definitely would've needed some serious work done...
I'm not talking about every day, run of the mill rub-outs, I'm talking about monstrous open ice hits when you're vulnerable, for hits like that you better get out of way or risk a concussion. And absolutely flying at a guy a few feet from the boards is your fault, either you're gonna connect and board the ***** out of him, or he's gonna get out of the way and you'll just end up hurting yourself. Most hits along the board are of the rubbing-guys-out variety for a reason, it's effective and safer for the guy getting hit AND the guy doing the hitting. If you're flying out of control trying to murder some guy along the boards and he gets out of the way, well, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
canuck44

Quote:
I'm not talking about every day, run of the mill rub-outs, I'm talking about monstrous open ice hits when you're vulnerable, for hits like that you better get out of way or risk a concussion. And absolutely flying at a guy a few feet from the boards is your fault, either you're gonna connect and board the ***** out of him, or he's gonna get out of the way and you'll just end up hurting yourself. Most hits along the board are of the rubbing-guys-out variety for a reason, it's effective and safer for the guy getting hit AND the guy doing the hitting. If you're flying out of control trying to murder some guy along the boards and he gets out of the way, well, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
It wasn't so much that I was running straight at him, we were both going full tilt down the boards and I eventually caught up to him and decided to close the gap and hit the guy into the boards since he was a little bit off the boards. So I wasn't flying out of control trying to murder him, we were just going fast and that momentum carried me right over him and into the boards