HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Good, but forgotten playoff series'

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Good, but forgotten playoff series'

I figured I would start a thread for the forgotten playoff series of the past (after looking at hockeydb.com).

I would like to start off with me saying I have absolutely no recollection of the 1999 2nd round series between Toronto and Pittsburgh, which Toronto won in 6 games, with the 6th game coming in overtime.

I also only remember a few plays in overtime of Game 4 of the Finals between Colorado and Florida in 1996 (I remember nothing about the 7-game series between Florida and Pittsburgh in the prevoius round)

Old
05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
I nominate the Adams division final from 1986 - Habs vs. The Whale

Great, great series with lots of back and forth action, good goaltending, drama... it had it all.

The emergence of Patrick Roy, the clutch scoring of Claude Lemieux, the steady leadership of Gainey and Robinson against the gritty Whalers led by Francis, Ferraro, Dineen and Sylvain Turgeon who had upset the first place Nordiques.

The playoff legends around Patrick Roy and Claude Lemieux started in that series.

Last edited by Malefic74: 05-18-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old
05-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Ogopogo*

1991 Calgary vs Edmonton

Gretzky was gone and neither of these teams went on to win the cup so almost nobody remembers it.

It is known for Fleury's OT goal in game 6 to tie the series but, the legend was made when Tikkanen exploded in game 7.

Oilers are down 3-0 in the first period in Calagary so they call a time out. Tikkanen takes over the time out by screaming at the entire team for 30 seconds. Esa then goes out to score shortly after the time out and scores 2 more goals and an assist (including the winning goal in OT) to give the Oilers a series victory.

It was by far, Tikkanen's finest performance in his hockey career. It was amazing.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 05-19-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old
05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
1991 Calgary vs Edmonton

Gretzky was gone and neither of these teams went on to win the cup so almost nobody remembers it.

It is known for Fleury's OT goal in game 6 to tie the series but, the legend was made when Tikkanen exploded in game 7.

Oilers are down 3-0 in the first period in Calagary so they call a time out. Tikkanen takes over the time out by screaming at the entire team for 30 seconds. Esa then goes out to score shortly after the time out and adds scores more goals and an assist (including the winning goal in OT) to give the Oilers a series victory.

It was by far, Tikkanen's finest performance in his hockey career. It was amazing.
That was perhaps the greatest series I've ever watched.

Everything from Murphy scoring the GWG in the final 20 seconds of Game 3, to the Oilers winning the brawl (more decisively than the 5-2 score) in Game 4, to Fleurys little slide in the annoying aftermath of Game 6 - which in retrospect I'm glad he did because it pissed the Oilers off enough for the final game - to Tikk shocking the Saddledump in Game 7 overtime.

It had it all.

It was also the last time I've really hated the Flames.

Old
05-18-2005, 08:09 PM
lazaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
That was perhaps the greatest series I've ever watched.

Everything from Murphy scoring the GWG in the final 20 seconds of Game 3, to the Oilers winning the brawl (more decisively than the 5-2 score) in Game 4, to Fleurys little slide in the annoying aftermath of Game 6 - which in retrospect I'm glad he did because it pissed the Oilers off enough for the final game - to Tikk shocking the Saddledump in Game 7 overtime.

It had it all.

It was also the last time I've really hated the Flames.
yeah i was at that game when Murphy scored and even though i was only 10 at the time i can still remember that series vividly......it was amazing.

Old
05-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I figured I would start a thread for the forgotten playoff series of the past (after looking at hockeydb.com).

I would like to start off with me saying I have absolutely no recollection of the 1999 2nd round series between Toronto and Pittsburgh, which Toronto won in 6 games, with the 6th game coming in overtime.

I also only remember a few plays in overtime of Game 4 of the Finals between Colorado and Florida in 1996 (I remember nothing about the 7-game series between Florida and Pittsburgh in the prevoius round)
i remember game 6 of the toronto series i was there with the flu (also easily coulda been the last pittsburgh penguins game ever) and game 7 of the FLA series as i was at that one too, i must be bad luck

Old
05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
jamiebez

1990 Winnipeg vs. Edmonton

The Jets played their absolute best in the first four games of the series, taking on 3-1 series lead on Dave Ellett's OT goal in Game 4 (probably the biggest goal in Jets history). They were just playing WAY over their capacity - guys like Doug Evans and Moe Mantha were playing like superstars, while on the other side of the ice, Messier and Kurri were invisible.

Of course, with their backs to the wall the Oilers woke up and remembered who they were. I'll always remember Game 6 in Winnipeg. The crowd was probably the loudest it had even been in Winnipeg because after all the butt-kickings in the 80s, they finally had the Oilers on the ropes. The Jets were down 3-1 and came back in the third to tie it. Then Jari Kurri comes in and wires a perfect shot over Beauregard's shoulder to seal the deal. They were dead meat in Game 7 back in Edmonton.

Still, an entertaining and exciting series - by far the best in that rivalry. I always believed that if the Jets would have won that Game 6, they would have reached the finals, since the rest of the Campbell Conference was so weak that year. Oh, well!

Old
05-19-2005, 08:17 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:

Yeah, I remember a little from that series. Toronto had just came off a grueling series with Philly (which Cujo stole). Pittsburgh had knocked off New Jersey in 7 I believe. Back when Jagr cared about playing hockey, he carried Pittsburgh on his back, hobbled by a bad hip. Anyway, Toronto had Yushkevich and Markov shadowing Jagr. That Game 6 was the Garry Valk show, as he scored two goals including the game winner in OT. A memorable moment from the series was at the end, when Danny Markov was doing the Jagr salute to Jagr at the other end of the ice. Not a bad series. Buffalo knocks Toronto off in 5 in semis on their way to Brett Hull breaking Buffalo's heart.

Old
05-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
1990 Winnipeg vs. Edmonton

The Jets played their absolute best in the first four games of the series, taking on 3-1 series lead on Dave Ellett's OT goal in Game 4 (probably the biggest goal in Jets history). They were just playing WAY over their capacity - guys like Doug Evans and Moe Mantha were playing like superstars, while on the other side of the ice, Messier and Kurri were invisible.

Of course, with their backs to the wall the Oilers woke up and remembered who they were. I'll always remember Game 6 in Winnipeg. The crowd was probably the loudest it had even been in Winnipeg because after all the butt-kickings in the 80s, they finally had the Oilers on the ropes. The Jets were down 3-1 and came back in the third to tie it. Then Jari Kurri comes in and wires a perfect shot over Beauregard's shoulder to seal the deal. They were dead meat in Game 7 back in Edmonton.

Still, an entertaining and exciting series - by far the best in that rivalry. I always believed that if the Jets would have won that Game 6, they would have reached the finals, since the rest of the Campbell Conference was so weak that year. Oh, well!
That was a great series. If I remember correctly, Winnipeg had a lead in Game five, and a power play; Messier scored a shorthanded goal that really turned things around.

Old
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down
That was a great series. If I remember correctly, Winnipeg had a lead in Game five, and a power play; Messier scored a shorthanded goal that really turned things around.
Forgot about that one. I remember Game 6 more clearly because it was in Winnipeg.

In those last three games, Messier and Kurri both completely turned their games around. Guys that can turn it up like that when a series is on the line is what makes a dynasty.

Old
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
I only remember that Garry Valk closed out the series in OT.

Old
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Youreallygotme

how about in 99' when St. Louis came back on Pheonix? I just saw the series hifhlights, what a heartbreaker for Pheonix fans.

2001, Pittsburgh steals the first two games in Buffalo, Buffalo comes back to win 3 straight, then Pittsburgh wins game 6 and then wins game 7 in OT thanks to kaspuritis

93' Toronto over Detroit. Unbeleivable series. 95' San Jose over Calgary in 7, what a huge heartbreak for Calgary fans for like the 5th straight year.

All of these ended in game 7 overtime too Does anybody miss the NHL when you think about these series'

Old
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
how about in 99' when St. Louis came back on Pheonix? I just saw the series hifhlights, what a heartbreaker for Pheonix fans.

2001, Pittsburgh steals the first two games in Buffalo, Buffalo comes back to win 3 straight, then Pittsburgh wins game 6 and then wins game 7 in OT thanks to kaspuritis

93' Toronto over Detroit. Unbeleivable series. 95' San Jose over Calgary in 7, what a huge heartbreak for Calgary fans for like the 5th straight year.

All of these ended in game 7 overtime too Does anybody miss the NHL when you think about these series'
Pittsburgh was one lucky team. Sabres were going to win in game 6 as they were leading with 1 minute left and next thing you know the puck goes high in the air with a fluke bounce and drops right on the stick of Lemieux who puts it in as Hasek was looking for the puck. Had that not happened Sabres would've knocked out the Pens and go into the third round.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
The Flyers-Leafs series of 1976 and 1977. Bone-crunching series including off the ice antics. Home teams won all 7 games in 1976. The next year, Toronto won the first two in Philly and the next four went to the Flyers, including Games 3 and 4 in OT at Toronto. Wild, wild, series.

Boston-Los Angeles in 1977. Back when geogrpahy did not factor in playoff series. LA was shutout three times but won two other games in OT. Bruins had the Gilbert/Cheevers tandem in net.

Minnesota-Montreal in 1980. The North Stars won Games 1-2-7 in the Forum. Montreal was the four-time defending Cup champ (Ken Dryden/Scotty Bowman though had departed).

The Flyers-Caps 1988 series, won by Washington in seven, was another good series that is overlooked. The Flyers comeback in Game 4 was fantastic, down 4-1 with like 9 minutes to play, and then the Caps won the last three including the final game in OT with another shocking comeback.

Old
05-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Dr Love

This one might have been better on paper, but I remember watching one of the games and wishing I could have seen them all: Ducks/Wings 1997 second round. Ducks got swept, but 3 of the games went to OT, Game 1 ended a minute into OT, Game went to 3 OT, and Game 4 went to 2 OT. Mikhail Shtalenkov was in net for at least a couple of the games IIRC. 3 OT games is about as dramatic as you can get in a series that results in a sweep.

Closed Thread