HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Blade

Old
11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

vCash: 500
Broken Blade

A teammate gave me a Synergy II Sr Shaft. Only problem is that it has what I believe to be a broken hosel inside of it. I'm kind of sitting with limited resources here in my dorm. If I had a long dowel rod I think I coud push it out the other end. Any other suggestions? I tried putting something inside the foam part of the stick, heated it up with a hot air gun and then tried to pull it out, but to no avail.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...nt=photo-1.jpg

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:19 PM
blueberrydanish

Is it a natural two-piece? Plyers Id say are your best bet with a good amount of heat to losen it up as much as possible...

Also hammer and flathead screw driver to pry in between but you can really end up takin out some of the shaft wall if you arent careful.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:10 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Is it a natural two-piece? Plyers Id say are your best bet with a good amount of heat to losen it up as much as possible...

Also hammer and flathead screw driver to pry in between but you can really end up takin out some of the shaft wall if you arent careful.
It's flush against it, wouldn't be possible without damaging the shaft like you said.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:36 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
If you had a long screw, screwdriver, pliers then drive the screw into whatever it is (assuming wood?) leaving enough of the screw sticking out that you can still get a firm grip. Then use the pliers to pull the screw and whatever is stuck inside.

Inserting the screw might add a bit of pressure, so pre-drilling the hole using a drill bit just narrower than the screw might help.

If it is glued in there then you'll need to heat it up.

Or, maybe take it to a local hockey shop and they might help ya out. Insert the new blade for ya while they are at it.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a komets fan View Post
It's flush against it, wouldn't be possible without damaging the shaft like you said.
Well its possible just would be very obnoxious to deal with haha.

Just gotta go old school with brute force unless you want someone else to help. heat it up for few mins nice and even get some strong pliers that you can grip real well and just yank. Its taken me a few minutes before of heating/tugging then reheating to get mine to come out. Maybe get a buddy to try and pull on it with pliers while you heat it up or vice versa.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Well its possible just would be very obnoxious to deal with haha.

Just gotta go old school with brute force unless you want someone else to help. heat it up for few mins nice and even get some strong pliers that you can grip real well and just yank. Its taken me a few minutes before of heating/tugging then reheating to get mine to come out. Maybe get a buddy to try and pull on it with pliers while you heat it up or vice versa.
I've used heat and a metal rod to push it out before. The metal rod actually wasn't quite long enough so i "bounced" it out. It kind of worked like a hammer.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Screw a long screw into the foam of the tenon. Then heat the shaft up very hot(in the lower part of the shaft obviously). Then pull on the screw slowly with increasing pressure, once it starts moving pull slowly until it pops out. Remove the top plug or extension if there is one to kill any vacuum effects.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:25 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Screw a long screw into the foam of the tenon. Then heat the shaft up very hot(in the lower part of the shaft obviously). Then pull on the screw slowly with increasing pressure, once it starts moving pull slowly until it pops out. Remove the top plug or extension if there is one to kill any vacuum effects.
This guy knows his stuff when it comes to gear repairs (and gear in general). Took his advice on repairing a fairly deep skate-made gouge in the blade of my stick and it's still holding up beautifully!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:02 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I just did this last month to get a plug out. The person who previously owned the stick cut it short so the plug was flush with the shaft. It worked like a charm.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote