HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15: Flyers @ Capitals - Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010 - 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That whole sequence was irritating. Look, I understand the "logic" to the blood rule, but in actual practice it's stupid. Refs need to look at intent and use of the stick more than the result... cuz sometimes pretty reckless plays lead to no blood, whereas "bad break" plays lead to blood. That's not fair. I mean, my nose has always bled rather easily... hit me in the nose with a stick and it's going to bleed. Shouldn't be a 4 min penalty.

The boarding call was just terrible.
penalty.I hear ya, but calling it that way leaves it open to a grey area/ or interpitation of a 2 or 4 minute.
That call on O'Donnell was just horrendous. The Flyers worked hard to kill that off and to have that called was ********.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
YOu do not throw 30 hits when you are tired.
Yeah, but you do give up roughly 33 percent more shots than on average and come back to the bench a little slower.

Quote:
That whole sequence was irritating. Look, I understand the "logic" to the blood rule, but in actual practice it's stupid. Refs need to look at intent and use of the stick more than the result... cuz sometimes pretty reckless plays lead to no blood, whereas "bad break" plays lead to blood. That's not fair. I mean, my nose has always bled rather easily... hit me in the nose with a stick and it's going to bleed. Shouldn't be a 4 min penalty.

The replay they showed on the Pronger penalty was bad...at least the one I saw. The angle was from behind, and it looked like if anything it was Pronger's butt end that got him, if not the other guy's own stick. In addition, blood being drawn parallels a stick breaking equaling slashing. The boarding call wasn't even boarding. If you're going to make a call like that, at least call it something arguably defensive like interference.

Besides that stuff, that both were called by a ref at center ice and not on top of the play pisses me off a little more. You've got guys down there, I don't see how an official makes those calls unless they're so blatantly obvious they're all racing to throw their arms up.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I hear ya, but calling it that way leaves it open to a grey area/ or interpitation of a 2 or 4 minute.
That call on O'Donnell was just horrendous. The Flyers worked hard to kill that off and to have that called was ********.
I have no problem with that. I actually dislike the rules where they lock them in... like the stick breaking on a slash. That rule is just flat stupid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Terence Peterman

Besides the questionable penalties, the Flyers need to win some of those damn draws at the end. They were all crucial, and Washington won them pretty cleanly.

Old
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I agree, its fundamentally wrong based on elements out of context of the plays intensity. If i blow my nose too hard in the winter or fall once the cold dry air hits, it bleeds... hell just put me out on the ice and I could get 4 min PP's at will!

LOL as a former nose-bleeder in my youth i totaly agree..

just being on that ice when i was young i could bleed on demand for sure..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Anyone else notice on NHL.com when the Flyer's win they write something like "Flyers win" or something, but when someone beats us they're like "HOLY ****ING **** GUYS THOSE FLYERS GOT ****ING DESTROYED **** YEAH MAN... HOCKEY"

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Miss Mess

What was the penalty at the end??? FU, refs.

Bob was our best player, again.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
AaronTrieu

disappointed in the loss. The refs screwed what could have been an exciting ending. However, 13 out of 14 points in the last 7 games. Loss came on the second game in less than 24 hours. I'm glad they hung in there. They were obviously not firing on all cylinders and still had a chance to win against the Caps.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I agree, its fundamentally wrong based on elements out of context of the plays intensity. If i blow my nose too hard in the winter or fall once the cold dry air hits, it bleeds... hell just put me out on the ice and I could get 4 min PP's at will!
Yeah, my seasonal allergies get my nose bleeding all the time still... really irritating.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
What was the penalty at the end??? FU, refs.

Bob was our best player, again.
I really like this, but I really hope they start to pace him better. There's no way he doesn't burn out by the end of the year if they don't.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:

i agree on the high sticking. as an example, carter's high stick against the isles was way more reckless than pronger, but steckel had a little cut and whoever the guy was on the isles didn't bleed (although i think it hit his throat and he was having trouble breathing). without that dumb rule, if you were punishing how reckless the player was being with his stick, the calls would have been reversed.

i don't buy the whole thing about it being too subjective if you leave it up to the refs rather than having the blood rule. the entire game is subjective, whether something is a hold or interference or when a linesman waves off icing. these guys are paid a heap of money to do their job; let them use their judgment about the intent and the carelessness of a high stick.

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:02 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
****, that was funny!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have no problem with that. I actually dislike the rules where they lock them in... like the stick breaking on a slash. That rule is just flat stupid.
still leaves room for too much controversy. I dont have a problem with the rule as it is now. dont want a ref to say well it wasnt intentiional so its only 2 minuites. It would cause more harm them good if they left it up to a ref to declare 2 or 4 on a accidental highstick.
In the AHL its a major if you draw blood.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with you about automatic calls. They go both ways and its nice to see some consistency on the calls. If the same thing happens to a Flyer its a penalty. No grey area.

Going back to that particular play I was surprised Ovechkin did not take an AUTOMATIC minor penalty for not DROPPING the broken stick. Instead holding it up in the air as if to complain.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Yeah, my seasonal allergies get my nose bleeding all the time still... really irritating.
I used to get that... no so much now... don't have change of seasons here.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
still leaves room for too much controversy. I dont have a problem with the rule as it is now. dont want a ref to say well it wasnt intentiional so its only 2 minuites.
i don't think anybody is talking about whether it was intentional or not. if a ref judges that a player intentionally high sticked someone that player should be thrown out of the game. it's a question of how reckless the player was being with his stick. i mean, if steckel had cut himself shaving this morning and then lifted pronger's stick up into his face, and the shaving cut opens up, how does that warrant a more severe penalty than a guy who is just waving his stick around like an idiot and happens to hit someone with leather-face right in the chops?

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
StandingCow

I love how the caps blogs and their fans keep trying so hard to play up the "rivalry" ... no caps fans, most of us I think actually like the caps, our rivals are the Rags, Pens, and Devils.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I love how the caps blogs and their fans keep trying so hard to play up the "rivalry" ... no caps fans, most of us I think actually like the caps, our rivals are the Rags, Pens, and Devils.
If by "like" you mean hate less than the other teams you mentioned then, yes! I'm flattered that some Capitals fans think its a great "rivalry" though.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Honestly, I really do not see why JVR is benched when Shelley is going to take a dump all over the ice. I understand it with a guy like Zherdev who was just playing lazy, but what the hell is benching JVR supposed to accomplish?

Anyways, 2nd game of a back to back both on the road against a dynamic offensive team who didn't play last night with some really ****** officiating going against us, a point is solid.

Coburn I thought was total ass though until he saved that goal at the end to make up for it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Holmgren: Unlikely JVR will be demoted to Phantoms.

Roster move pending tomorrow. Possible Wellwood to AHL.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I'm flattered that some Capitals fans think its a great "rivalry" though.
Most of us don't. We do play in a cobbled together division with very little history presently, so it's natural I think to want a little bit of the action you guys have going in your division.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I don't hate the Caps as a team, but I do find their "fans" (I live in DC) to be ridiculously irritating. Overall, though, the Caps are not a rival to me. I've told numerous Caps fans to their faces that I couldn't give two ***** about them or their team, but that it was cute and flattering that they cared so much about beating us. They don't like hearing that one bit, haha. If/when they beat the Flyers in a series of consequence (see: playoffs), that's probably when I'll start really hating them. For the time being, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching that team play hockey.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Steve Perry

1 weekend
2 games
4 power plays
12 penalty kills
3 points

Not too bad, but could've won both with a little more discipline (and maybe a little less Shelley)

Steve Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I don't hate the Caps as a team, but I do find their "fans" (I live in DC) to be ridiculously irritating. Overall, though, the Caps are not a rival to me. I've told numerous Caps fans to their faces that I couldn't give two ***** about them or their team, but that it was cute and flattering that they cared so much about beating us. They don't like hearing that one bit, haha. If/when they beat the Flyers in a series of consequence (see: playoffs), that's probably when I'll start really hating them. For the time being, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching that team play hockey.
They hate us because we beat them in the playoffs once a few years ago. It's staggering how much they care about this "rivalry". I'm with you, I find their fans ridiculously irritating, but this is not a rivalry to us.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:35 PM
MsWoof

I wish Wellwood would stay up, Carter would play centre, JvR gets reinstated and Shelley goes to the AHL. We can't afford to not have Carter taking face offs and he looks horrible on the wing. Roo and Briere are good offensively at centre but defensively, Briere is just terrible.

I am loving Leino. He took a few games to get going cause of the surgery but he's looking great now.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote