HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Two problems mentioned. Yes Mike played in the NHL, but so did a thousand other players turned coaches. You don't have to be and artistist to teach art, you have to be a teacher as well. He is a player not a coach. What do you think might have happened if Mike were working for a different AD? Probly fired by now. Secondly, not everyone at STU high levels feels that hockey should be the flagship program of the university. IT IS A HUGE MONEY DRAIN!! They want the flagship to be course work.
Of course STU want's a good academic reputation. But a winning sports program would surely help bring better exposure to bring in more and better teachers and students than a program that's been sitting in the basement of the league for 10 years.

And I wasn't mentioning the fact that Eagles played in the NHL to make him out to be a better coach, I was mentioning it in the way that it should give him a network of people to help in recruiting some better players. Coaching success in the AUS relies as much if not more on how the coach manages to recruit players as it does on how he coaches the game. Look at Bob's 4 years here for instance, no one can argue that he wasn't a success on the ice, winning coach of the year twice, but we gave him an All Star squad that should have won a CIS championship and look at what's transpired since, we're icing a team with more Jr A/Jr AAA players than Major Junior players; and as much as they're good guys and work hard and give their 100% you can't match up with UNB with that type of lineup.

Who knows what Mike's record would be if he had a decent lineup to work with.... but that's his fault too.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:00 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
who trusts NOBODY'S opinions on most issues and in the last 2 years rejected scouting reports on about 88 candidates who are starring at universities elsewhere.
If this is true it is a scary tale. This is why I half believe this. Look how many OHL "graduates" we have recruited in the past 5 years. Answer 0. Jason Cassidy, Keith Wynn, and Brian Soso either got cut in their overage year or dropped back to Junior A. How many Ontario kids did we have in better times? My guess without looking at rosters would be plenty.

Quote:
A network has & did exist until recently when those who could help have finally given up on Eagles stubborn,unsuccessful pursuit of approproate student athletes.
There are many former Tommies all across the USA and Canada. Proud Tommies and I use to get emails from them over the course of 6 seasons when I had the time and motivation for stutommies.com.

Just a few of the fatherly rants that have me asking questions. There are more interesting points if you care to read them with objectivity.

Old
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
rantfather

Not Using The Network That Is There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
You know one thing I don't understand... I was thinking about this on the bus last night drinking a pop and reading this thread.

If there's any of the 8 coaches in the league who should have a good network of contacts in hockey to help with recruiting it should be Mike Eagles, the guy played over 1,000 professional games, not to mention almost 1,000 in the NHL alone. There has to be people all over the place in junior hockey accross Canada he can call in favours too (ie, talk to players and such). I know when we had Bob here it was somewhat easier to talk to players since he damn near knew everyone in junior hockey (not that it made him a good recruiter, he was almost as bad as Mike) but you know...

Well... maybe that's it. Maybe Mike CAN get to the players, he just can't properly talk to them once he does have them on the line or in front of him.

And for the love of god, like STUTOMMIES said, don't get a french coach or I might freak out. Bad enough we already have to deal with Pete for competition for a very limited pool of players, who also happens to be one of the best recruiters in CIS hockey.
Eagles has refused to access and utilize the network that is alraedy there! GET IT??,probably NOT as Eagles sure doesent..................recruiting is NOT rocket science or is it.

Recruiting 5 or 6 players each year to fill vacancies should be an ongoing process and during a more successful recruiting time at STU that is exactly what transpired,the goal was to bring in replacements each year who were better than those leaving.
Has this happened recently,NO,NO,NO. Can anybody but me see what's wrong here?

And to now suggest that the author of this current mess be counted on to correct it ,is just unbelievable.

There are a number of quality players on board but still too many "NOT QUITE READY FOR PRIMETIME" players.

A continuation of the less than qualified leadership must come to an end if there is any hope of a ressurection.

Old
11-07-2010, 07:17 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Eagles has refused to access and utilize the network that is alraedy there! GET IT??,probably NOT as Eagles sure doesent..................recruiting is NOT rocket science or is it.

Recruiting 5 or 6 players each year to fill vacancies should be an ongoing process and during a more successful recruiting time at STU that is exactly what transpired,the goal was to bring in replacements each year who were better than those leaving.
Has this happened recently,NO,NO,NO. Can anybody but me see what's wrong here?

And to now suggest that the author of this current mess be counted on to correct it ,is just unbelievable.

There are a number of quality players on board but still too many "NOT QUITE READY FOR PRIMETIME" players.

A continuation of the less than qualified leadership must come to an end if there is any hope of a ressurection.
I totally Agree, Mike Eagles, has year by year let the talent levels slip lower and lower each year. His most succesful season was his first year and it was a team with alot of talent on it. unfotunately he didnt build that team, it was Mr Smiths team

I would agree that Eagles should go.....but dont think he will be gone, be nice to see a Tom Coolen in there, would have been nice to see a Pete Beliveau there 2 years ago.

All im saying regardless next season they will be better, theres new guys on board, commited to seeing the tommies better, guys that bled tommie green like Kyle McAllister, he will be using his connections and making visits to Ontario in person, to get the tommies back in the OHL pool, its doesnt take a whole makeover of the team, a handfull of key ingredients will change the face of the team, the problem is now they arent and havent been getting those type of guys

Old
11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
rantfather

Here"s What You Do Not Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I totally Agree, Mike Eagles, has year by year let the talent levels slip lower and lower each year. His most succesful season was his first year and it was a team with alot of talent on it. unfotunately he didnt build that team, it was Mr Smiths team

I would agree that Eagles should go.....but dont think he will be gone, be nice to see a Tom Coolen in there, would have been nice to see a Pete Beliveau there 2 years ago.

All im saying regardless next season they will be better, theres new guys on board, commited to seeing the tommies better, guys that bled tommie green like Kyle McAllister, he will be using his connections and making visits to Ontario in person, to get the tommies back in the OHL pool, its doesnt take a whole makeover of the team, a handfull of key ingredients will change the face of the team, the problem is now they arent and havent been getting those type of guys
You do NOT let the guy who steamrolls the program into last place again appoint one of his annointees as the saviour;open up the whole process and see who the potential candidates are.........ohhhhhh isn't that a novel,earthshattering suggestion.
Eagles latest move at adding McAllister is an attempt to avoid the inevitable and continued control of a situation that couldn't be more fouled up.

Get rid of Eagles and have an open,honest competitive process at hiring some qualified replacements before STU becomes a further laughing stock in the CIS.It has been an affront to higher education to have placed Eagles at his level of incompetance.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
They should hire me.

I have absolutely zero experience, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:30 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
They should hire me.

I have absolutely zero experience, but that shouldn't make a difference.
POINT TAKEN!
Fortunately,there are any number of MORE than qualified candidates,former Tommies,who would fill the bill,currently assistant coach Eric Bissonette and current assistant coach @ University of Western Ontario Pat Powers,both men having exemplary academic ,hockey experience.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list as I am sure that there are plenty of candidates who would wish to take on the task of ressurecting men's hockey to it's rightful place in the AUS.
Enough of the nepotism and inaction,GET ON WITH IT!

Old
11-09-2010, 08:58 AM
STUpid

I'd apply for the job, but I've actually graduated university. STU can't afford me.

Old
11-10-2010, 10:42 PM
SnipeShow91

can we get back to talking about the team. Everyone is just looking really ignorant talking about the brain power of Mike, because i guarantee no one here has the stones to tell these things people are saying to his face. In fact, I will start it.

If the team wants to make the playoffs, the season has to start on friday against Acadia. A quarter of the season is in the books, they have to play UNB one more time, they need to get at least 3 points this weekend to get back in the hunt. The game against Dal is a must win at home to make up for that game in Halifax last weekend and hopefully they steal a point from the Axemen. They are only 3 points back.

Old
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
VRedsRule

Is Melanson's "upper body injury" head- or heart-related, or a real upper body injury

Old
11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
rantfather

Very good question"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
Is Melanson's "upper body injury" head- or heart-related, or a real upper body injury
Melanson has found himself playing with lesser lights and needs to ,at least try,to replace Dietrich on the Wild West Line,

Matt Eagles seems to compliment Cameron and Labonte better.

If not injured,it is time Melanson SHOWED UP.

Maybe the plan should be to score as many as possable because this team sure cannot prevent them.

Old
11-13-2010, 07:26 AM
cookiecutter

If the team wants to make the playoffs, the season has to start on friday against Acadia. A quarter of the season is in the books, they have to play UNB one more time, they need to get at least 3 points this weekend to get back in the hunt. The game against Dal is a must win at home to make up for that game in Halifax last weekend and hopefully they steal a point from the Axemen. They are only 3 points back.[/QUOTE]

Did you see Fridays game against Acadia? I guess the discussion will be of two things. Number one the high sticking penalty that cost the eventual loss. Number two is the fact that only 280 fans even cared to watch? 25% of those would be students who are hanging out. The guys played better, but come middle of February how many fans will venture out to rum row?

Old
11-13-2010, 08:15 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
If the team wants to make the playoffs, the season has to start on friday against Acadia. A quarter of the season is in the books, they have to play UNB one more time, they need to get at least 3 points this weekend to get back in the hunt. The game against Dal is a must win at home to make up for that game in Halifax last weekend and hopefully they steal a point from the Axemen. They are only 3 points back.
Did you see Fridays game against Acadia? I guess the discussion will be of two things. Number one the high sticking penalty that cost the eventual loss. Number two is the fact that only 280 fans even cared to watch? 25% of those would be students who are hanging out. The guys played better, but come middle of February how many fans will venture out to rum row?[/QUOTE]

Call me biased, call me what you want but the refs stunk out the LBR last night. I would say the same thing if the calls went our way, I just wouldn't be upset about it.

Give me a freakin break. The ref gives Dulle a fighting major and a game misconduct. He gives Ward a 2 minute roughing minor. This all happened in front of the ref and Ward was equally involved, granted Dulle hit him (at the end, after taking a few, with gloves on) a few more times. I heard the rationale was Dulle made him bleed. So freakin what. Horrible.

How about the missed off-side just before Acadia scores the winner. How about the blown icing call with 14 seconds left, get your head in the game. I've started, now I'm boiling. Horrible horrible horrible. Enough for now.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:51 AM
timbitca

The NHL needs to stop coming to take the only good refs we have (Jean & Ghislain Hebert, to name a few) and leave us stuck with the clowns we have now. It's getting ridiculous the refereering we're seeing in the AUS. And the good refs we have, they're flooded with work in th Q. Pellerin for example, only saw him in our first exhibition game vs the Tommies in Grand Falls, been MIA since then.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Rob

Dal 4 Stu 3 (ot).

After Dal scored the overtime winner Lavinge stormed towards the exit and started banging on the door trying to get the staff to open it. Eventually another player skated over and reminded him of the post game handshake.

Not sure if they'll have another afternoon game at the LBR next season. Couldn't have been more than 200 fans in attendance. Of course the time of the game might not matter at this point.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:14 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Dal 4 Stu 3 (ot).

After Dal scored the overtime winner Lavinge stormed towards the exit and started banging on the door trying to get the staff to open it. Eventually another player skated over and reminded him of the post game handshake.

Not sure if they'll have another afternoon game at the LBR next season. Couldn't have been more than 200 fans in attendance. Of course the time of the game might not matter at this point.
I hate to say it, but I did not see the game tonight, but things need to be mentioned: It was mentioned that they practiced well before the game. Eagles did not run that practice did he? Lavigne....he needs to leave his mark as a hockey player not a hot head..too late for that?? What can STU do...they just can't walk away from hockey as a program because, supposedly, it is a banner program, but how can a team, when you figure in the cost of a home and away game combined, support a program on 200 paying fans?

Old
11-13-2010, 10:48 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I did not see the game tonight, but things need to be mentioned: It was mentioned that they practiced well before the game. Eagles did not run that practice did he? Lavigne....he needs to leave his mark as a hockey player not a hot head..too late for that?? What can STU do...they just can't walk away from hockey as a program because, supposedly, it is a banner program, but how can a team, when you figure in the cost of a home and away game combined, support a program on 200 paying fans?
It was a nice saturday afternoon and people have families and stuff to deal with on saturdays. And its not like its UNB coming in on a saturday afternoon. Its Dal. I didnt see many people in the crowd at the fourm tonite with UNB against the Huskies from the webcast. The fans who were there were given a great hockey game with big hits, great goals (Breault's Malkin like one timer and Dulle's goal) great defensive play and lots of fast skating.

I swear tho, next time I play at the LBR, every time the opposing team is making a change, i am going to yell "too many" because out of the 5 STU had over the weekend of too many men, 2 were really clear cut ones. There were 2 iffy ones and one that STU didnt deserve because they were making a line change when everything seemed to calm down before the Dulle/Ward dust up on friday night. Still, its something they need to go over at practice making better line changes. 4 is 4 too many

Old
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
cookiecutter

The other side of the coin is that outside of professional sports teams, the Team can exist just for itself and the fans. Once we move up the hill, there will be better rooms, equipment, etc and who knows where we go from there? Truthfully is there any thing wrong with the smallest university finishing near the bottom?

Old
11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
rantfather

Quote:
The other side of the coin is that outside of professional sports teams, the Team can exist just for itself and the fans. Once we move up the hill, there will be better rooms, equipment, etc and who knows where we go from there? Truthfully is there any thing wrong with the smallest university finishing near the bottom?
Of course there is,striving for mediocracy and achieving far less are NOT values to be aspired to(never end a sentence with a preposition) at STU.
The non academic,non trained leader of athletics won't do much better.
Get used to it as authorities at STU could care less of the wrong messsage being on display for all to see.

Old
11-20-2010, 06:51 AM
TomBull

Tommies Hawkey

Are we ever in trouble and nothing is being done. Does anyone expect me to believe that having a overall losing record for nine years, players quitting on you all the time, and missing the playoffs 4 of 9 years is acceptable.

While it may not be the media's job to lynch anybody it certainly is their job to ask some tough questions once and a while and stick with them, don't accept the cookie cutter answers. As a Tommies fan I would like to know what is hell is going on? Is Eagles reign going to last forever? Is he being held accountable by anyone? Who are these people? Does someone at STU feel he is doing a good job? With less and less people showing up to watch the the 33rd best team (of 34) in the country, does anyone feel that people aren't paying attention?

I heard Randy Corey interview Erick Tremblay a few weeks back and he made him answer his question. He asked if he was coming back next year for his fifth year. Erick side stepped the question three times, Randy commented he hadn't answered the question and finally he came back with it depended on if they had a winning season, he wanted to win. Does anyone think for a minute that new recruits would like to have a chance to win? How is Eagles or any of his hacks going to offer this?

You media guys read these boards, follow Randy's example and get us some answers, it is your job, we buy your paper. If you want some questions, here are some for you to think about. Maybe some other Tommie fans have some as well.

As AD and Hockey coach, who do you answer to?
After 2 years and soon to be 3 years of missing the playoffs and progressively getting worse, do you think you portray a winning attitude to people?
Since you were coach of the year your rookie season, you have had a very slanted losing record, does this work for you personally?
Mike you always talk about working harder, have you ever, ever, ever, ever given any thought to working smarter? Do you know how? Are you capable of working smarter?
Do you actually care that you have almost single handedly taken a perennial winner in the late 90's and early 2000's to the bottom of the barrel?

It gets worse and worse and worse. People still care but nobody is listening to us. Mike Eagles, Jack Drover, what's the difference?

Old
11-20-2010, 07:51 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

When is the last time an AUS hockey coach was fired or let go, though? The last few coaching changes I can remember (Taylor at UPEI/Mongrain at Moncton/Joseph at Dal/Flynn at X) were either because they resigned or moved on to another job. It certainly isn't something that happens very often that's for sure.

Old
11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
rantfather

are those who should be? LISTENING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBull View Post
Are we ever in trouble and nothing is being done. Does anyone expect me to believe that having a overall losing record for nine years, players quitting on you all the time, and missing the playoffs 4 of 9 years is acceptable.

While it may not be the media's job to lynch anybody it certainly is their job to ask some tough questions once and a while and stick with them, don't accept the cookie cutter answers. As a Tommies fan I would like to know what is hell is going on? Is Eagles reign going to last forever? Is he being held accountable by anyone? Who are these people? Does someone at STU feel he is doing a good job? With less and less people showing up to watch the the 33rd best team (of 34) in the country, does anyone feel that people aren't paying attention?

I heard Randy Corey interview Erick Tremblay a few weeks back and he made him answer his question. He asked if he was coming back next year for his fifth year. Erick side stepped the question three times, Randy commented he hadn't answered the question and finally he came back with it depended on if they had a winning season, he wanted to win. Does anyone think for a minute that new recruits would like to have a chance to win? How is Eagles or any of his hacks going to offer this?

You media guys read these boards, follow Randy's example and get us some answers, it is your job, we buy your paper. If you want some questions, here are some for you to think about. Maybe some other Tommie fans have some as well.

As AD and Hockey coach, who do you answer to?
After 2 years and soon to be 3 years of missing the playoffs and progressively getting worse, do you think you portray a winning attitude to people?
Since you were coach of the year your rookie season, you have had a very slanted losing record, does this work for you personally?
Mike you always talk about working harder, have you ever, ever, ever, ever given any thought to working smarter? Do you know how? Are you capable of working smarter?
Do you actually care that you have almost single handedly taken a perennial winner in the late 90's and early 2000's to the bottom of the barrel?

It gets worse and worse and worse. People still care but nobody is listening to us. Mike Eagles, Jack Drover, what's the difference?
Coach Eagles/A.D. is "WAY IN OVER HIS HEAD" and has been for most of his tenure;he has managed to turn off just about EVERYBODY in the Fredericton hockey world who recognized early that a non academically,non administratively trained leader would eventually self implode,which by anybody's standard has already occured in spades,an event that has been missed by those eagle eyed administrators at STU as Coach/A.D. Eagles further disintegrates personally.......it is and has been beyond his ability to repair and as he has refused the suggestion that he commit HARI KARI,then it is time that he be asked to "WALK THE PLANK".

It has been for years that Eagles has rejected wellmeaninged advice as "interference from alumnae" which he has no intention of allowing himself to be bullied by,what kind of perverted thinking ? is this that? any alumnae would not have any such intention but it is how Eagles thinks and just another reason why he has to be removed.

Allowing him to continue and spearhead the recouvery just makes absolutly no sense.
It is time that administration acknowledge their error with this appointment and get on with getting a new order in place,:h elp:

Old
11-20-2010, 09:06 AM
kexodusc

Has any action been taken?

Have any of the Tommies fans and supporters tried doing anything about this? Met with the STU brass en masse to voice your concerns? Sign a petition? Or are they all waiting for the media or someone else to do something?

If you have tried and were told to buzz off cause the school doesn't care, or they just love Mr. Eagles, I fear the worst for the program. If you haven't, I don't think internet boards are effective at all for anything more than venting. What effort has been made so far?

Really hope STU starts the rebuilding process soon - a strong STU is better for UNB and the whole AUS for a lot of reasons.

Old
11-20-2010, 10:44 AM
rantfather

Oh yeah ! falling on deaf ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Have any of the Tommies fans and supporters tried doing anything about this? Met with the STU brass en masse to voice your concerns? Sign a petition? Or are they all waiting for the media or someone else to do something?

If you have tried and were told to buzz off cause the school doesn't care, or they just love Mr. Eagles, I fear the worst for the program. If you haven't, I don't think internet boards are effective at all for anything more than venting. What effort has been made so far?

Really hope STU starts the rebuilding process soon - a strong STU is better for UNB and the whole AUS for a lot of reasons.
I persoally know of at least one,very cogent,direct complaint about all matters,and know that copies of that letter to STU administartion and Mr.Eagles was widely circulated to many dire hards,I know this as I received a blind copy.

I also understand that the author of the letter of complaint received a "spin doctor" document outlining reasons for the predicament,none of which has Mr.Eagles being responsable even though he recruits,he decides who comes and who goes and he spends the money,sooooooooo long story short,Eagles and STU administration are aware but have chosen to ignore.
The Hari Kari suggestion was a good one but that was a way out by honourable men.
Eagles gives only lip service to him being responsable but continues to be "the definition of stupidity" in action.

Yes, a missing STU men's hockey certainly weakens the AUS entirely,Amen.

Last edited by rantfather: 11-20-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: sprlling
Old
11-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

IMO, STU will have a perpetual uphill battle. It is a small, niche university and has a very limited local base from which to draw. I know that every school in the CW has a big edge over a place like STU.

Closed Thread