HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#15: Flyers @ Capitals - Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010 - 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Honestly, I really do not see why JVR is benched when Shelley is going to take a dump all over the ice. I understand it with a guy like Zherdev who was just playing lazy, but what the hell is benching JVR supposed to accomplish?

Anyways, 2nd game of a back to back both on the road against a dynamic offensive team who didn't play last night with some really ****** officiating going against us, a point is solid.

Coburn I thought was total ass though until he saved that goal at the end to make up for it.
JVR's fresh legs would have helped

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Pronger "Bob got us 3 pts this weekend."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
yup there's no question bobs was the only one to show up and play well game in game out

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
JVR's fresh legs would have helped
Yeah, as someone else pointed out, I can somewhat see that Lavi doesn't want to bench Shelley less than a month into the season because it shows his GM up, but this team is Shelley's spot away from having 4 really strong lines.

Quote:
I can't really complain at them considering they put together a pretty strong 5 game run just before the weekend, but for sure they need to pick it up again now particularly considering that Bob isn't going to stay at this level.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
yup there's no question bobs was the only one to show up and play well game in game out
Consistency... I has it!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Wellwood or JVR would have helped. Shelley was just a worthless body out there tonight.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
I can't really complain at them considering they put together a pretty strong 5 game run just before the weekend, but for sure they need to pick it up again now particularly considering that Bob isn't going to stay at this level.
They have plenty of time to prepare for Carolina, normally a favorable opponent then they have Florida who frustrates them more often that not. I'm pretty sure this is team bonding week, too. Hopefully it doesn't have the adverse affects as the one from last season. Maybe Laviolette will take them to a local Cola plant.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Coburn I thought was total ass though until he saved that goal at the end to make up for it.
I thought Coburn played pretty well...at least in taking the body. There were a couple times he was physical enough to disturb Washington gaining possession, but not dumb enough to draw a penalty.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:23 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
They have plenty of time to prepare for Carolina, normally a favorable opponent then they have Florida who frustrates them more often that not. I'm pretty sure this is team bonding week, too. Hopefully it doesn't have the adverse affects as the one from last season. Maybe Laviolette will take them to a local Cola plant.
Yeah, they just had what seemed like a fairly hectic run and they did pretty well, so a well-deserved break, I would actually like Lavi to take them to a cake factory on the anniversary of Stevens' firing and then blow it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I thought Coburn played pretty well...at least in taking the body. There were a couple times he was physical enough to disturb Washington gaining possession, but not dumb enough to draw a penalty.
Eh he had a couple of horrendous TOs.

I keep looking at him and I keep thinking "2 mill = fine, 3.2 = not fine." His offensive game has steadily gone into the tank and he's not at an elite defensive level, so I mean, what does he do to warrant the money?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Villedelphia*

F the game, I just want to know how those 'staches are looking. Kinda mad I missed this one, but also kinda glad...sounded really frustrating.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
They hate us because we beat them in the playoffs once a few years ago. It's staggering how much they care about this "rivalry". I'm with you, I find their fans ridiculously irritating, but this is not a rivalry to us.
Long time Caps fans consider the Flyers rivals because from '79-'80 - '97-'98 they shared a division and played each other roughly 8 times a season and for most of those years the first 2 rounds of the playoffs were in the division so they faced each other a decent amount of times in the playoffs also.

The Caps got screwed out of their division rivals when the league went to 6 divisions and haven't really developed any good ones with anyone in the South East. The Flyers on the other hand still have all of their old Patrick Division rivals in their division so losing one old rival in the Caps didn't mean too much.

So yeah if someone has only been a Caps fans for say 10 years I agree, I don't understand why they see the Flyers as rivals, 1 recent playoff series not withstanding. But if they've been following the team for 30+ years like I have then I 100% understand why they see the Flyers as rivals.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Eh he had a couple of horrendous TOs.

I keep looking at him and I keep thinking "2 mill = fine, 3.2 = not fine." His offensive game has steadily gone into the tank and he's not at an elite defensive level, so I mean, what does he do to warrant the money?
Oh, I'm with you, but with the whole team being somewhat sloppy in our own end tonight I guess I was just impressed at his ability to negate guys along the boards.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Black Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
F the game, I just want to know how those 'staches are looking. Kinda mad I missed this one, but also kinda glad...sounded really frustrating.
Here ya go: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/gallerylanding.htm?id=17777

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quotes:

Laviolette about the penalties: “Not only the kills, but it takes the rhythm out of the bench. We had pretty good rhythm in the third period. That was the most effective we were in that period and we ended up going to the box. We’re hitting people high in the faces. They’re not intentional, but we have to have our sticks under control.”

Pronger about Bobrovsky: “He’s definitely proven to make believers out of everyone in here, that’s for sure. He keeps the game simple and that’s a pretty generic term, but sometimes goalies are all over there. There’s not a lot of movement, he doesn’t allow a lot of holes. He has very fast legs. You certainly never count him out on any plays. He’s able to throw those legs out and take away the low stuff. The goals they get are either redirections or screen shots he didn’t see.”

O'Donnell about Bobrovsky: “His athleticism just jumps out – how flexible he is. There are times when they make a play and I don’t know how he keeps his pad on the ice. If you really watch closely, he makes a lot of unspectacular saves where he is square to the shooter. For 22 years old, he’s level-headed. He was disappointed after this game but he said, ‘what are you going to do?’ When good things happen, he just rolls off it.”

Bobrovsky about his teammates' praise: “You try not to think about it. The only thing I think about is going out and playing. This is the thing that matters, not words. It’s showing on the ice. At the same time, when a player like Pronger, a name player, says something like this, it makes me feel good.”

Old
11-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
hahah thank you...carter's is coming in suprisingly well

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
hahah thank you...carter's is coming in suprisingly well
Roo's is almost full already! I really hope he goes for the fu manchu!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quotes:

Bobrovsky about his teammates' praise: “You try not to think about it. The only thing I think about is going out and playing. This is the thing that matters, not words. It’s showing on the ice. At the same time, when a player like Pronger, a name player, says something like this, it makes me feel good.”
All business, I like it.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
LOL @ Carbomb's!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
oh wow, Shelly truly is an ugly man, he looks like he's had his face beaten in with a baseball bat

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Quotes:

Laviolette about the penalties: “Not only the kills, but it takes the rhythm out of the bench. We had pretty good rhythm in the third period. That was the most effective we were in that period and we ended up going to the box. We’re hitting people high in the faces. They’re not intentional, but we have to have our sticks under control.”

Pronger about Bobrovsky: “He’s definitely proven to make believers out of everyone in here, that’s for sure. He keeps the game simple and that’s a pretty generic term, but sometimes goalies are all over there. There’s not a lot of movement, he doesn’t allow a lot of holes. He has very fast legs. You certainly never count him out on any plays. He’s able to throw those legs out and take away the low stuff. The goals they get are either redirections or screen shots he didn’t see.”

O'Donnell about Bobrovsky: “His athleticism just jumps out – how flexible he is. There are times when they make a play and I don’t know how he keeps his pad on the ice. If you really watch closely, he makes a lot of unspectacular saves where he is square to the shooter. For 22 years old, he’s level-headed. He was disappointed after this game but he said, ‘what are you going to do?’ When good things happen, he just rolls off it.”

Apparently Bob is a big Homer fan.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Terence Peterman

Aw man, Carter's and JvR's are going to be phenomenal. Pronger's got some real potential too. Aw man! Yes! I just hope someone keeps it even when December rolls around.

Think of all the avy possibilities with these! AW MAN! YYYYEEESSS!

Old
11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Apparently Bob is a big Homer fan.
Hahaha, I thought the same exact thing.

Old
11-07-2010, 10:24 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolinWithCosta View Post
Why on earth would Boosh deserve to start? What could possibly make you say that?
Well I haven't actually watched that many games this season, and when I have they haven't been very closely. But, I was under the impression Boosh was playing decently, and he did well last year in the playoffs as well. I just feel like he deserves to play a few more games, it's currently 11 games for Bob and 4 for Boosh.

ilovetheflyers8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Mgkibbles

Tough loss. I thought Bob played very well tonight - again - and he continues to improve.

Giroux and Carter were both invisible for the second game in a row.

And finally, after a week of playing 60 minute games, its disappointing to see two 20 minute efforts. On the bright side at least the Flyers found a way to get points in the last two lackluster games.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Wellwood or JVR would have helped. Shelley was just a worthless body out there tonight.
As always, Shelly brings nothing. At some point the Flyers have to grow up and stop living in Neanderthal Hockey League days of the 1970's. I'm all for guys like Asham and Carcillo who can mix skill and toughness, but guys like Cote and Shelly who are simply punching bags wearing skates I have zero respect for, scrubs like them take the beauty away from hockey - mostly because their noses are going in seven different directions.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote