HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

All Things Charlotte Checkers

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Nice to see Boychuk's numbers coming along. What's up with Riley Nash? 0 points and a -2 through 9 games. Not the start many expected. Although coming from university to the AHL can be a drastic jump for many and an adjustment period where things don't all come together isn't out of the ordinary.

10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Checkers manage a win tonight 3-2 in overtime over Binghamton. Samson scored the two regulation goals and Borer the OT winner. 36 of 38 stopped by Pogge.

10-30-2010, 09:02 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

And Nash finally picks up his first 2 points of the season, both assists on Samson's goals.

Boychuk had the lone assist on the GWG in OT.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Samson is averaging 6.4 shots per game. For those scoring at home, that's a 510 shot pace for an 80 game AHL season. He had 11 shots tonight alone.

And you know, I have been a broken record about Jerome Samson but a player that can produce all those shots HAS to have something to his game. He's a going concern every night in the AHL and for whatever reason, he just can't get a shot up here.

6 goals in 10 games this season already. It's going to be interesting to see if he ever gets the call this season for any real minutes.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:35 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Samson is averaging 6.4 shots per game. For those scoring at home, that's a 510 shot pace for an 80 game AHL season. He had 11 shots tonight alone.

And you know, I have been a broken record about Jerome Samson but a player that can produce all those shots HAS to have something to his game. He's a going concern every night in the AHL and for whatever reason, he just can't get a shot up here.

6 goals in 10 games this season already. It's going to be interesting to see if he ever gets the call this season for any real minutes.
I doubt he'll ever get a serious look. Maybe if we waived Samsonov and never signed O'Sullivan but even with his AHL success it's obvious he's not very high on the "call up list"

It's pretty puzzling to me though. I have a feeling he's going to get a shot in another organization and prove that he can play in the NHL.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:08 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Chris Terry tied the game against Portland tonight with less than a second left. Unfortunately, the Checkers couldn't complete the comeback losing in the Shoot-out. Playing Portland again tomorrow night.

Regardless of the loss, this team is at least beginning to rack up some standings points.

I'll be at the Hershey game this Sunday, and will let you know what went on.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Checkers won 5-4 tonight. Looks like this team is starting to gel.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Another goal from Terry and Samson. Ho hum. Just another game. 7 in 12 for Samson and 6 in 12 for Terry.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Checkers know how to score goals.... Now they need to learn how to play defense.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:22 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Boychuk has 12 points in 12 games, good enough for 12th most in the AHL

Nash finally got his first pro goal tonight too.

Old
11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

The Checkers lost again tonight, but in a shootout so at least they got a point. Bowman and Nash had the goals, and Murphy stopped 27 of 29 shots. They are very young team but I'm still surprised by the slow start.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:06 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Checkers with a 3-1 win last night. Pogge with the win.

Dalpe with his first of the season and an assist, Boychuk picks up #6, and MicFlikier scored the clincher.

Old
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Checkers beat Hershey 4-2. Samson put two more goals with total of 9 this season and 13 points

Terry with a goal and he has 7 goals and 12 points.

Dalpe recorded a goal and he is a point per game (5 in 5). and so is Boychuk - 15 points in 15 games.

Samson, Dalpe along with McFlifligier are best in team in+/- with +4 each.

Samson and Terry are having good season so far. One of them should get a look if we get an injury... But I suppose Boychuk will be called before them.

Oh, and Bowman has 6 points in 5 games he played for Checkers... 1 goal+5 assists.

Riley Nash has 4 points (2+2) in 15 games with 18 shots on goal.. For comparison Samson has 83 SOG in the same number of games.... I mean seriously... 83 shots on goal in 15 games.. That guy is a Kalashnikov.

EDIT: oops... should have been posted this in Checkers thread... and now i can't seem to be able to delete a post... sorry.

Old
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Just got back from tonight's game against Hershey. Checkers won 4-2

Samson continues to play well, 2 goals (one empty netter, one PP), created some good chances and poke checked a couple of times. Hershey got 40+ SOG, though about half of them of them were low-quality. Murphy had some big saves towards the end

Dalpe had a nice wrister, Terry had a goal similar to this one

Highlight of the game was the Checkers killing off 1:57 of a 2 man advantage for Hershey.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'll be at the game Dec 5th... I'll be in Charlotte for the ACC Championship and thought we'd stick around for the 3pm Sunday game... Will be able to walk up and get center ice tickets?

Old
11-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Barons28

How has the actual attendance been? I noticed the attendance on Sunday was 5,600 which is great even with a Carolina Panthers game going on, but was there actually 5,600 in attendance? The reason I ask is the Barons are doing OK. However, our paid attendance on some nights may be like 2,800 and there may only be 1,000-1,500 in the seats. Just curious.

Old
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Any impressions of Oskar Osala? How's his game developing?

Old
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm just excited to see Boychuk at a point per game pace. 15 in 15, can't wait for him to round out enough to be here and hopefully contribute offensively one day whether it be this year or next.

Old
11-13-2010, 03:57 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I'll be at the game Dec 5th... I'll be in Charlotte for the ACC Championship and thought we'd stick around for the 3pm Sunday game... Will be able to walk up and get center ice tickets?
I don't know about Center Ice tickets, but there should be tickets available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barons28 View Post
How has the actual attendance been? I noticed the attendance on Sunday was 5,600 which is great even with a Carolina Panthers game going on, but was there actually 5,600 in attendance? The reason I ask is the Barons are doing OK. However, our paid attendance on some nights may be like 2,800 and there may only be 1,000-1,500 in the seats. Just curious.
I'd say there were over 5,000 Sunday. I noticed some people who came in during the 1st intermission from the Panthers game. I think with the Panthers and Bobcats struggling, this is the Checkers time to say "Hey Charlotte sports fans, we do have a winning team here." This could help get more people interested in the team.

Last edited by HisIceness: 11-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old
11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
wings5

Jared Staal . Why the heck is he playing every 2nd or 3rd game, why not just send him down to the ECHL? I know he sucks and probably won't amount to anything but let the kid play.

Old
11-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
I'm just excited to see Boychuk at a point per game pace. 15 in 15, can't wait for him to round out enough to be here and hopefully contribute offensively one day whether it be this year or next.
It seems to hash out that he could be a potential Larose replacement if Larose prices himself out of Carolina. I don't think we can afford to reprise the contract he picked up last time when we have a similar player in Boychuk that could fill that role without missing a beat in terms of skill.... but we're still unsure of his level of "want to". I don't know how much a player like Boychuk can help you outside the Top 6 and I don't know if he's going to like being there if he does stick there for a while like Larose has done.

Another under the radar type player has been Oskar Osala in Charlotte. 15 points in 18 games with only 3 goals. Once his shots start falling he could be on pace for a big season down there.

As much as I have been impressed by Patrick Dwyer, I think we all know his career ceiling is right where he's playing now. I wish we could find a way to work some of these kids into a rotation. And the odd acquisition of Jon Matsumoto has been somewhat limiting to our prospect pool as well.

In virtually any other locale, it seems like guys like Samson, Terry, Boychuk, Osala, etc. would have gotten looks by now. Perhaps even Bellemore considering how inconsistent we have been defensively. I was hoping that our AHL affiliate being closer would allow us the opportunity to put out more feelers to see if guys are ready to contribute.

After getting thrashed the past two games, I can't see how it would hurt to call one of these guys up. Terry, of all players, has earned it. He hasn't even had an NHL opportunity yet.

Old
11-14-2010, 04:59 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I think with this current NHL squad we're probably heading into being sellers at the deadline, so some guys will get their chance then. I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about the Canes but I just don't see them having the defense or top end talent on offense to consistently play well. If that's the case, most, if not all the guys with expiring contracts shouldn't be back here next year. We've pretty much tied our hands this year with the signings this offseason.. there's not going to be any real rebuild, at least not for a few more months.

Depending on who has the better year, contract negotiations, etc.. I wouldn't mind seeing one of Cole or Jokinen back. The rest are expendable, IMO, and can be replaced with cheaper options down on the farm.

Last edited by vwg*: 11-14-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old
11-14-2010, 06:30 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I think with this current NHL squad we're probably heading into being sellers at the deadline, so some guys will get their chance then. I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about the Canes but I just don't see them having the defense or top end talent on offense to consistently play well. If that's the case, most, if not all the guys with expiring contracts shouldn't be back here next year. We've pretty much tied our hands this year with the signings this offseason.. there's not going to be any real rebuild, at least not for a few more months.

Depending on who has the better year, contract negotiations, etc.. I wouldn't mind seeing one of Cole or Jokinen back. The rest are expendable, IMO, and can be replaced with cheaper options down on the farm.
Right now we're heading into next season right around 27.55 million tied up in 10 players. There actually are a couple of key UFAs that need to be re-signed but there's an absolutely TON of dead weight that can be cut. The 4.5 million tied up in the buyouts alone will be gone by next season.

UFAs:
Joni Pitkanen - 4.5 (4.0 hit)
Erik Cole - 3.0 (2.9 hit)
Sergei Samsonov - 2.8 (2.533 hit)
Chad LaRose - 1.9 (1.7 hit)
Jussi Jokinen - 1.9 (1.7 hit)
Anton Babchuk - 1.4 (1.4 hit)
Patrick Dwyer - 500K (500K hit)

RFAs:
Brandon Sutter - .875 (1.225 hit)
Patrick O'Sullivan - 600K (600K hit)
Jiri Tlusty - 500K (500K hit)

Absolute given that Sutter and Tlusty will be back and get more then they're making now. Sutter probably a 2 or 3 year deal for about 2.5 per. Tlusty for around 700K on another one year.

UFA wise, Pitkanen is a must as long as it's reasonable. If he'll take 5.0 or below to stay here then JR would be an idiot to let him walk. Dwyer we can probably bring back for somewhere between the league minimum he's making now and 600K. Cole I'd bring back but absolutely no idea what it would take. I'll guess 2.5 per for now. Likewise I'll put Jussi in the "bring him back" pile, probably for just a bit more then he's making now so let's say 1.75 to 2.0 on a two or three year deal.

40.85 with 3 holes up front and 2 on defense. Forwards we can address from within so another 1.2 for Boychuk, 875K for Dalpe and 850K for either Osala or Bowman. Defensively I honestly expect one of Carson, Borer or Sanguinetti to take over the #6 spot. Not sure which of those 3 but I'll say Carson for around 550K.

That puts us at: 44.325 million. Or in otherwords with an additional 4 million to play around with and bring in a legit top 4 defenseman. Just about what a Regehr or Sarich costs in cap hit. If they actually increase the budget a good bit, they could bring in a UFA forward as well, but that's just wishful thinking.

edit, here's my projected lineup with that:

Skinner - Staal - Cole
Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Jokinen - Dalpe - Osala
Tlusty - Dwyer - Kostopoulos

Pitkanen - Regehr
Gleason - McBain
prospect - Corvo

Last edited by DaveG: 11-14-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old
11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Sens1Canes2

I don't know the list of UFA defensmen, but there are much better d-men out there for $5 million than Pitkanen. He's just so average defensively, seems a lot to pay for so many periods of apathy.

Don't get me wrong, he's great offensively and has great vision. But I have to think there are better options.

Old
11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

here's the full list of dman UFAs: http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...ion=D&FAType=2

of the UFAs this year, here are the semi-realistic targets (IMO):
Jovo (probably too expensive), McCabe (do not want), Brewer, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Wisniewski, Ian White, Daley, Hejda, Mark Stuart, Andy Greene

Pitkanen is the all-around guy I'd want the most, and probably Hejda as the defense-first guy I'd want the most. There are some big names set to be free agents, but I HIGHLY doubt they'll get there or would ever sign here.

Closed Thread