HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15: Flyers @ Capitals - Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010 - 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-07-2010, 10:37 PM
97FlyersKing18

vCash: 500
Tough loss, at least the Flyers got a point out of this game. It would have been pretty deflating to play a tough game and then lose in the closing seconds and get 0 points.

Bobrovsky keeps making 30-40 saves per game, most of which he makes look very easy. However, there are some saves he makes that just make me double check the puck is not in the back of the net only to find out he stuck out his leg or poke checked to make a save.

Hopefully JVR is back soon after his stint in the press-box.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
this was the flyers 6th game in 10 days today. might be a reason for the sluggishness.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 11-07-2010 at 11:16 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wish Wellwood would stay up, Carter would play centre, JvR gets reinstated and Shelley goes to the AHL. We can't afford to not have Carter taking face offs and he looks horrible on the wing. Roo and Briere are good offensively at centre but defensively, Briere is just terrible.

I am loving Leino. He took a few games to get going cause of the surgery but he's looking great now.
I don't mean to direct this at you, the point is that this seems to be mentioned too much when nothing has happened to bring it up. I know Briere isn't known for his defensive play but I don't understand why people keep posting negatively about his defense. I don't recall a single time this year where a bad play happened in the d-zone and was like oh of course Briere. Also, his line seems to be at the other end more often than not. I honestly don't see how you can call him terrible defensively as compared to Carter. Carter and Richard's lines and especially when paired together were trapped in their own zone much more than Briere's line this year and even worse during the Cup. I'm not saying take Richie and Carter off the penalty kill in favor of Briere but I don't see the need to point out a flaw that hasn't been a problem. With that said I have no issue with the faceoff argument, they need to fix that somehow.

BTW I could see taking Wellwood out to bring JVR back as part of the numbers game but sitting Wellwood and a rested JVR in favor of Shelley, Carcillo or even Powe doesn't make sense.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Not a terrible loss. If we're going to lose, I'm glad it's to the Caps. Tough team.

Everyone seemed a little sluggish. Hopefully three days off will do some good.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:46 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I can't really complain at them considering they put together a pretty strong 5 game run just before the weekend, but for sure they need to pick it up again now particularly considering that Bob isn't going to stay at this level.
why he can't stay at (t)his level??

Last edited by MiD: 11-08-2010 at 06:04 AM.
MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:57 AM
JVR21
G

I hate the Flyers schedule this year. It's always 3 games in 4 days, then 4 days off.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:05 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Man, in those post game interviews, richards looked absolutely exhausted. Too many games all pressed together. :/

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:18 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Consistency... I has it!

That picture really stresses the quotes the Flyers have about Bob's athleticism and flexibility. Look at his legs while he's twisting backwards like that.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
why he can't stay at (t)his level??
Because he hasn't played an 82 game schedule before. It's extremely likely he gets worn down at some point very important (like the playoffs) if they don't start pacing him better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I hate the Flyers schedule this year. It's always 3 games in 4 days, then 4 days off.
The beginning of the year always sucks

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:41 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
I don't mean to direct this at you, the point is that this seems to be mentioned too much when nothing has happened to bring it up. I know Briere isn't known for his defensive play but I don't understand why people keep posting negatively about his defense. I don't recall a single time this year where a bad play happened in the d-zone and was like oh of course Briere. Also, his line seems to be at the other end more often than not. I honestly don't see how you can call him terrible defensively as compared to Carter. Carter and Richard's lines and especially when paired together were trapped in their own zone much more than Briere's line this year and even worse during the Cup. I'm not saying take Richie and Carter off the penalty kill in favor of Briere but I don't see the need to point out a flaw that hasn't been a problem. With that said I have no issue with the faceoff argument, they need to fix that somehow.

BTW I could see taking Wellwood out to bring JVR back as part of the numbers game but sitting Wellwood and a rested JVR in favor of Shelley, Carcillo or even Powe doesn't make sense.
Briere doesn't pick up his man. He's an offensive threat all the time but his defensive game is terrible. There's a reason why he never plays the PK.

Powe has been amazing on the 4th line and the kill. Why would you consider taking him out?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Briere doesn't pick up his man. He's an offensive threat all the time but his defensive game is terrible. There's a reason why he never plays the PK.

Powe has been amazing on the 4th line and the kill. Why would you consider taking him out?
Well, Powe is playing on the 3rd line at the moment... he's also a primary cog in the PK rotation... so he's not coming out of the lineup.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Because he hasn't played an 82 game schedule before. It's extremely likely he gets worn down at some point very important (like the playoffs) if they don't start pacing him better.
yeah and he should spend this season in the AHL... season in the KHL is shorter but they have hard practices between games (often twice a day), so nobody knows what his endurance is...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Powe is playing on the 3rd line at the moment... he's also a primary cog in the PK rotation... so he's not coming out of the lineup.
My opinion, Shelley and Carcillo need to be out. Of course that will never happen. But the roles those guys fill aren't needed against most teams in the NHL anymore. Against the Rags, sure, there's going to be fists. But we don't need both of them (or either of them imo) dressing against teams like the Caps.

Get Wellwood and JVR in the lineup. Send Shelley far far away. Make Carcillo earn playing time.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
My opinion, Shelley and Carcillo need to be out. Of course that will never happen. But the roles those guys fill aren't needed against most teams in the NHL anymore. Against the Rags, sure, there's going to be fists. But we don't need both of them (or either of them imo) dressing against teams like the Caps.

Get Wellwood and JVR in the lineup. Send Shelley far far away. Make Carcillo earn playing time.
I liked what I saw from Wellwood, and I'm not exactly Carcillo's biggest fan, but at the moment I'd send Wellwood back down anyway. It's still a little too easy to knock him off the puck.

JvR - Richards - Zherdev
Carter - Giroux - Powe
Hartnell - Brière - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Nödl

is fine with me for the next couple of games. It's good to know that this team can suffer a couple of injuries and have a reliable option to call up though (Kalinski has looked good when he's been called up previous seasons as well).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

I think Carcillo has been pretty effective since he got back in the lineup... I also like him in the 4th line role, because he can be a d-bag and fight anyone but a heavy if necessary, while also playing an effective shift when not doing that stuff.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I think Carcillo has been pretty effective since he got back in the lineup... I also like him in the 4th line role, because he can be a d-bag and fight anyone but a heavy if necessary, while also playing an effective shift when not doing that stuff.
I agree with this. He's better suited to a Bob Kelly role on that 4th line. In the words of Leonard Nimoy (from the Information Society song "I Want To Know"), "Pure energy."

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Oops, yeah, I meant third. Pre-coffee. Regardless, I don't want him out of the lineup.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I definitely agree. The thing about Carcillo is that he can skate, will skate and is fearless. If he was just a wee bit more savvy in a couple facets of the game, he would be a fantastic fourth liner. Frustrating to watch sometimes.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote