HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger

Old
11-05-2010, 08:20 PM
MillerTime2181

vCash: 500
Pronger

What are the odds he finishes his contract? He was off to a slow start but not I think he's found his game again. Definitely one of the top 3 defensemen in the game today. I remember last year I was at a practice and Pronger was just stopping the offense, and in between drills he was there giving instructions to the rest of the defense and pointing out where to be. Not only is he a generational talent among defensmen but the man knows his hockey and is vastly underrated as a teamate/mentor.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:46 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I think so, although he won't be playing near the minutes he plays now. I really think like most big players his knees will be what retires him.

He will probably come back as a coach.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I think so, although he won't be playing near the minutes he plays now. I really think like most big players his knees will be what retires him.

That's an interesting thought. Like I said in that practice you could just see his passion for the game and how he was really trying to instill in his teammates a sense of where to be,calmness, ect. It'd be great if he could finish out that contract HOF players should play as long as possible.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:37 AM
SgtJoseph

His game has picked up quite a lot recently on both offense and defense.If our younger defensemen can continue becoming better players, Prongs minutes can start being reduced which will help keep his legs fresh for the post season for a few more seasons anyway.He has incredible stamina.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Remember that his game is all about positioning. It's not like ol prongs is going to burn any wingers these days. He's going to get burnt once in a while by a faster winger with allot of space, but i'll take 82 games of solidness over that.

He will play up until the last year of his contract easily.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:36 AM
CantSeeColors

He'll finish at least six years of it I think, whether on the ice or on LTIR.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He said he wants to play it all out. Eventually he'll be a 3rd pairing super vet mentor which still rocks

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:43 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Yes he will be old injured and a barely able to make the bottom pairing in these next coming years. Just like Lidstrom, HOFs really know how to suck things up.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Rumor has it Lidstrom might stay for another 2 years too

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 05:43 PM
MillerTime2181

I can't imagine Pronger on the third pairing. I'd like to think he'll stay a first-pairing guy ala Lidstrom his entire career. I'm sure his minutes will continue to decrease and maybe that alone will make him a defacto 2nd-line type, but you'd hope he'll still have the talent/positioning/mindset to be a number 1 even into his late 30's/early 40s.

Old
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
MsWoof

He's 6'6" and 220 pounds so I think the impact on his knees will not be a problem. In the playoffs he had an interview with Elliotte Friedman and said he purposely kept his weight low to help his knees out. Friedman had compared him to Chara who is 6'9" and 260 pounds.

I know he had surgery on one knee this summer but has he had knee problems in the past?

He only started out slowly because he missed most of training camp so just like Leino, he had a bit of catching up to do.

Last edited by MsWoof: 11-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.
MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
hockeyfreak7

Pronger isnt dependent on physical attributes outside of his size. His skating is not what makes him a good player. As he ages, he might lose speed, but it wont have a significant effect on his game.

He will regress. I'm sure. But he wont regress to the point where he will be a useless player. Even in the last two years of his contract, he will hold value on this team in some way. Will he be overpaid with a cap hit of $5M? Probably, but that's the nature of the beast considering the benefit we get right now.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post

I never understood these statements. It's not as if Pronger is some lifelong Flyers; it's year 2 for him. Sometimes I feel like if, say, Lidstrom were to come here people would still make the "He'll probably take a position in the organization" comments.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:46 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I never understood these statements. It's not as if Pronger is some lifelong Flyers; it's year 2 for him. Sometimes I feel like if, say, Lidstrom were to come here people would still make the "He'll probably take a position in the organization" comments.
Does it have to mean come back to the Flyers? And not come back to hockey?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Does it have to mean come back to the Flyers? And not come back to hockey?
Fair point; didn't see it like that for what I quoted. My point still stands outside of that context though. I see it from time to time and don't get it.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
DrHamburg

I think one thing to consider with Pronger is that it appears on most shifts he really doesn't burn alot of energy. He does everything while trying to conserve as much energy as possible.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I think one thing to consider with Pronger is that it appears on most shifts he really doesn't burn alot of energy. He does everything while trying to conserve as much energy as possible.
Yeah I agree. I think he has a great hockey-mind in general and knows what it takes to stay effective. Him conserving now is better for the playoffs and better for future seasons. And you just know he can turn it on when/if he needs to. Hopefully he'll keep his conditioning up and his weight at a managable level in order to maximize his effectiveness.