HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Grachev "showcased" (but actually sent back to HFD)

Old
11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Evgeny Grachev "showcased" (but actually sent back to HFD)

Sure it's more Larry Brooks hyperbole.......

Quote:
Tortorella scratched Todd White despite the veteran's strong work in Friday's victory over the Devils in order to get Evgeny Grachev into the lineup. It is believed Grachev, who did not get off the bench in the third until the 19:56 mark and who got 4:10 overall, was being showcased, but it wasn't much of a show.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz14h33p7yC

It's not the first time White was scratched in order to play Grachev.

White was waived on Friday for the second time this season. He has had one foot out the door since training camp.

Showcased for what? According to NHL GMs,the trade market is quiet. Teams have no cap space and the teams which have cap space have no money.

I like Larry but sometimes he makes no sense. In his chat last week,he speculated Matt Gilroy could go in a deal. When it was pointed out to him later on in the same chat that Gilroy is not cheap,he said there is no market for Gilroy. The player is making $2.1 million in salary.

If Grachev was being "showcased",the coach didn't get the memo from management.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Brooks speculation and opinions are always off base.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Miller Time NYR

Just larry putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4 or so he thinks, it's conceivable that the rangers scratch white who isn't superior but may be better suited for the fourth line for a young prospect that is assumed to be a top 6 forward and who didn't get much ice time in his time playing on the fourth line. I like Larry but with his tweets and the stuff he says in his chat he's a bit of a "pot steerer".

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Grachev played only 4 minutes, and i'd venture a guess that he will be sent down shortly.

Dunno about a showcase, things seem really quiet.

MZA is finally starting to score in hartford.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
pld459666

Wouldn't be surprised.

He's not ready for an NHL spot, but it's easier for teams to see him play as teams do theri pre-scouting work.

I like Grachev, would like to see him remain a NYR, but he is being showcased.

As for the amount of run ge gets, that's always going to be dependant on the game situation, not a desire to do a "look-see" for a visiting scout.

my gut says that come the deadline, Grachev is no longer Rangers property.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:24 AM
msv957

This is crazy from Brooks. At this moment, I don't think there is a lot of value with Grachev in the trade market. He is a prospects that have been ok at best the past year or so.

Might as well keep Grachev and let him keep on trying to develop his game to succeed in the NHL.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Rangers44*

"Showcased" would mean 20 minutes on top line, not 4 minutes on 4th line.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:41 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Brooks speculation and opinions are always off base.
Agreed, his twitter post about Callahan sitting out a game was pure idiocy at it's best.

He was blaming Ryan's shot blocking for the neck injury, not the hit from Timmonen. I swear he doesn't even watch the games.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
azrok22

I think it's more likely that Grachev's callup was an attempt to get his development "back on track." His AHL play stagnated, to say the least, and by giving him a few games in the NHL, hopefully he goes back motivated and aware of what he needs to do to take the next step.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I think it's more likely that Grachev's callup was an attempt to get his development "back on track." His AHL play stagnated, to say the least, and by giving him a few games in the NHL, hopefully he goes back motivated and aware of what he needs to do to take the next step.
this was my line of thinking as well

showcase seems unlikely at this point

i'd imagine his trade value is about as low as it could get

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
94now

I agree with Brooks, there was no other reason to keep Grachev in NY. Before dismissing Larry one should have looked at the scouting staff present. Showcasing doesn't mean an imminent trade, but Rangers are shopping Grachev. Even if they weren't before, they are now, cause Brooks has made it official.
I am not excited about it, but him and Gilroy are the only assets available for trade at this time. Market or not.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Leetch3

if he was being showcased, he would have played with dubinsky and anisimov the other night when callahan was out in hopes he'd have a great game with those 2 and up his value...not getting 4:00 playing with boogaard

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think uncle Larry hit the nail right on the head here...I do believe he is being showcased.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
gravy121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree with Brooks, there was no other reason to keep Grachev in NY. Before dismissing Larry one should have looked at the scouting staff present. Showcasing doesn't mean an imminent trade, but Rangers are shopping Grachev. Even if they weren't before, they are now, cause Brooks has made it official. I am not excited about it, but him and Gilroy are the only assets available for trade at this time. Market or not.

How has Brooks made this "official" ?

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

he's shown me nothing since leaving juniors... nothing.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Showcased? Grachev (I think) has a chance to be a pretty good player. If we traded him now, and say we included someone else in a deal, what would we POSSIBLY get back for him? An average or maybe slightly above average defenseman? Give me a break.

And like everyone else is saying, he has shown nothing in the AHL last year and so far this year. The only team that values him right now is us.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Did he get any PP time?

11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Nothing?? really? He showed that he can forecheck and create some space in the corners. Even if he does not develop his offense, he might be an effective 3rd or4th line player who can forecheck and create turnovers.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Exactly, someone had to say it. I don't really buy the whole learning experience thing. Yea he needed to adjust but it's taken quite a bit of time and personally his game has yet to touch the hype he gotten and continues to get.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Of course... let's trade him now that his value is at an all time low. Let's not see if the what? 21 yr old... can develop into something.

I think everyone hoped he'd be more by this point but I can't see them giving up on him this quickly.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
AJRanger

Back to Hartford apparently;

http://networkedblogs.com/ai9NR

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

The team has a hard working mentality right now. Grachev can use some of that and might as well throw him on the 4th line and let him earn his lumps. The kid has been progressively playing harder, Torts has been doing a good job in trying to bring him along and challenging some vets. Last night's game Step and Grachev got some time rather than some vets to challenge some people...healthy competition...that's a good thing...It's why we see a hard working team out there and he's trying to instill that into Grachev...Brooks is a bonehead....and White is dead weight.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

grachevs days are numbered. i get this feeling that hes on the same track as bobby sanguinetti.

i like the guys potential, size and skating but hes done absolutely nothing, and i mean nothing, to stand out. a "good shift" from him is trying hard and not making a mistake. he hasnt shown me anything yet.

he doesnt show me the kind of playmaking skill or even hockey sense that stepan shows- even when derek isnt scoring, he still shows me he thinks the game at a high level and can create chances. grachev, to me, is just reacting out there, hes not acting or creating. i wouldnt say "going through the motions" but hes certainly not making much of a difference.

i would not bail on him as his value now is quite low. hes only here because we need some bodies and he might score a goal or 2.

i laugh at the showcasing thing. hes underperformed this season so far, including camp and hartford. whats to showcase ?

unfortunately, so far, hes not progressing the way i had hoped he would but i would absolutely move him in a hearbeat if someone wanted to overpay.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I return to 08-09, when rumors surfaced around the deadline that NYR wanted St. Louis and TBL wanted Grachev.

Oh, what could have been. I think I was the only one in favor of that trade. I was told that Grachev would be better than St. Louis within a couple years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy121 View Post
How has Brooks made this "official" ?
He will be quoted by every outlet. Knowing Brooks as being anything but stupid the hockey pundits would assume he got Slats unofficial permission to gossip like that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote