HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aaron Pulashaj Update

Old
11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
i don't get how the dogs are like top 3 year in year out yet that never translates to the NHL. we draft career AHLers or what? like, we're beating other NHL team's farm teams, so in a few years, there should be a transition of successful youth to the big club, which we rarely see.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:04 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
No not really. He's not a surefire thing at all.

Last season was a really bad one for Palushaj and he didn't look good at all.
I agree, but it was also his first year in the minors, and there is obvious improvement in his overall game especially in his strength this year. I like to see things like that when it comes to a prospect. It shows his off-ice work habits are good, and he is self-motivated. He is willing to do the things he needs to do to improve his game. Something like strength is something that requires off-ice training and motivation.

You look at a player like Dustin Boyd and you see someone who has never improved beyond a certain level because he has never been able to build up his strength, has never really done anything to improve his game. He is the definition of a stalled prospect.

You look at a guy like Pleks and he kept getting better and better year after year when he was in the AHL and then the NHL because his off ice work ethic is spectacular. It's so good to see Palushaj improve in that area because that is a clear indicator that he's doing the work off ice.

Quote:
But it's the same thing with Palushaj that I heard from blues fans and it's that he can't score. He'll probably always be challenged goal scoring wise. But he needs to score at the AHL level at least so some of that translates to the NHL level.
It's hard to know if he can't score or if he just doesn't shoot. In 6 games, he has 2 goals (that's not bad but also not indicative of how much he could score over an entire season), has 13 shots and a 15% shooting accuracy, which is a high rate. Last year, he had 8 goals, so he's already a quarter of the way to meeting that target. I too would like to see him have a 25 goal season in the AHL, but I'll take doubling his total from last year, so from 8 to 16, and another upgrade in points. He had 32 points last year, so I'd like to see him get 50+ points this year. I think those are definitely reachable targets.

He needs to continue to upgrade his scoring potential, but he is a smart guy and I think over the next two years he will work hard to do that. He also has very good hockey sense.

Quote:
I'm trying to think of wingers in top 2 lines roles at the NHL level who are pass happy and a little challenged goal scoring wise and I'm drawing a blank. Ales Hemsky is one of the only name I can think of and his career high is still 23 goals. Somehow I don't see Palushaj ever scoring that many at the NHL level.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

But I did like him a lot in pre-season. Really liked his hustle and the fact he was often in the right place.
He's a right place type of player. Top 6 forward? We'll see, but he's not a liability defensively so he could play on the 3rd line and give us some creativity there as SK did when he was on his game. Another guy would be Tanguay but in his prime he also had 20 goal seasons. I want to see Palushaj's scoring game develop at the AHL level. If he gets 16 goals this year I'll be happy. If he gets 20+ goals, I'll be thrilled, if he gets 25+ I'll be ecstatic.

Right now, he's a call-up candidate for when injuries hit. Next season, he should be a non-roster roster player (which is what I consider White to be this year). The following season is when he should make the team full-time.

Unless of course he continues on his torrid two-point a game pace for another 20 games or so. That kind of domination deserves a call-up regardless of how many goals he's scored. Then you stick him with a shooter like Gionta and let Gio take his nifty passes.

Palushaj is an interesting prospect. He's a character guy with talent and hockey sense. He's not a player we should rush.

He's also 3 years younger than D'ago.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
vinzlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
In Hamilton you mean because Martin will never ever put 3 young players together.
I remember Trotter Desharnais and White being together last year for 2 games. The bulldogs line.

Funny how haters are quick to forget

vinzlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
i don't get how the dogs are like top 3 year in year out yet that never translates to the NHL. we draft career AHLers or what? like, we're beating other NHL team's farm teams, so in a few years, there should be a transition of successful youth to the big club, which we rarely see.
Well you have to consider that alot of the key players to the Bulldogs over the years have been pure AHL signings. Ex. Glumac, Lehoux, Belle, Denis, Sanford, Henry, Jancevski. And then you have players from those ranks that we have let go. Ex. Chipchura, Trotter, Stewart, Desjardins, D'Agostini. And then you have the players who are still maturing down there. Ex. White, Maxwell, Weber, Pacioretty, Carle, Desharnais, Palushaj.

Just because an AHL team can have a great half a decade, doesn't mean all of those players are going to go on to become equally impactful NHLers in a couple years. We have graduated Higgins, Plekanec, Lapierre, Price, Halak, Ryder, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Pyatt, Grabovski, Subban from there in the last 5 or 6 or 7 years.......it's not exactly a terrible track record even though a few haven't panned out to complete expectations.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
The problem I saw with Palushaj, is that he has zero scoring touch. His 2 goals aren't exactly reassuring for me. Until Palushaj becomes more of a threat scoring wise I think he'll struggle to make the NHL as a winger. But I've been known to have been wrong about many things in the past so we'll see.

Are you implying if it had been anyone else than Martin, Havlat and Hossa wouldn't have turned out as good as they are ?

Also, are you implying that Pacioretty and Eller are in the same stratosphere of talent as Havlat and Hossa ?
No, i'm not comparing players, i'm comparing the way Martin handled his young players and the way he help them to become the players they are right now.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
Happy for him.

Maybe next year, we're gonna see a line with MaxPac - Eller - Palushaj
Yeah, it'll be called "The Press Box Line"

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
No not really. He's not a surefire thing at all.

Last season was a really bad one for Palushaj and he didn't look good at all.

Thankfully he had a really strong showing in camp, and looks like it has continued in Hamilton for 6 games.

But it's the same thing with Palushaj that I heard from blues fans and it's that he can't score. He'll probably always be challenged goal scoring wise. But he needs to score at the AHL level at least so some of that translates to the NHL level.

I'm trying to think of wingers in top 2 lines roles at the NHL level who are pass happy and a little challenged goal scoring wise and I'm drawing a blank. Ales Hemsky is one of the only name I can think of and his career high is still 23 goals. Somehow I don't see Palushaj ever scoring that many at the NHL level.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

But I did like him a lot in pre-season. Really liked his hustle and the fact he was often in the right place.
Have you followed the dogs at all this year? Watched any games? Just curious as to how you gained this insight that he has no potential to be a future NHLer..... Obviously no player is a sure fire thing outside of the Crosby's and Ovechkin's of the world but even then sometimes you get a Daigle.

Whenever discussing a prospect you're discussing their potential and I do think it would be a crying shame that this kid doesn't make the NHL when he's an extremely hard worker. Also last season is almost meaningless as it was his first year. Second year he's already shown great leaps in his development. A lot of the time the guy who works hard has a better chance to make it then the guy who is talented but who doesn't. I'd take Aaron over a Sergei any day of the week. He might not pan out but to give up on his scoring ability this early would just be ludicrous. He might not be Sedin talent wise, but he's definitely a talented guy whose a hard worker, good things tend to happen to guys like that.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-08-2010 at 08:24 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
I agree, but it was also his first year in the minors, and there is obvious improvement in his overall game especially in his strength this year. I like to see things like that when it comes to a prospect. It shows his off-ice work habits are good, and he is self-motivated. He is willing to do the things he needs to do to improve his game. Something like strength is something that requires off-ice training and motivation.

You look at a player like Dustin Boyd and you see someone who has never improved beyond a certain level because he has never been able to build up his strength, has never really done anything to improve his game. He is the definition of a stalled prospect.

You look at a guy like Pleks and he kept getting better and better year after year when he was in the AHL and then the NHL because his off ice work ethic is spectacular. It's so good to see Palushaj improve in that area because that is a clear indicator that he's doing the work off ice.

It's hard to know if he can't score or if he just doesn't shoot. In 6 games, he has 2 goals (that's not bad but also not indicative of how much he could score over an entire season), has 13 shots and a 15% shooting accuracy, which is a high rate. Last year, he had 8 goals, so he's already a quarter of the way to meeting that target. I too would like to see him have a 25 goal season in the AHL, but I'll take doubling his total from last year, so from 8 to 16, and another upgrade in points. He had 32 points last year, so I'd like to see him get 50+ points this year. I think those are definitely reachable targets.

He needs to continue to upgrade his scoring potential, but he is a smart guy and I think over the next two years he will work hard to do that. He also has very good hockey sense.

He's a right place type of player. Top 6 forward? We'll see, but he's not a liability defensively so he could play on the 3rd line and give us some creativity there as SK did when he was on his game. Another guy would be Tanguay but in his prime he also had 20 goal seasons. I want to see Palushaj's scoring game develop at the AHL level. If he gets 16 goals this year I'll be happy. If he gets 20+ goals, I'll be thrilled, if he gets 25+ I'll be ecstatic.

Right now, he's a call-up candidate for when injuries hit. Next season, he should be a non-roster roster player (which is what I consider White to be this year). The following season is when he should make the team full-time.

Unless of course he continues on his torrid two-point a game pace for another 20 games or so. That kind of domination deserves a call-up regardless of how many goals he's scored. Then you stick him with a shooter like Gionta and let Gio take his nifty passes.

Palushaj is an interesting prospect. He's a character guy with talent and hockey sense. He's not a player we should rush.

He's also 3 years younger than D'ago.
Good read.

But if we were to call him up after a prolonged proof that he's on fire, I'd definitely play him with Cammy and Plekanec. Plekanec can put the puck in the net, and Cammy too. Cammy needs a jumpstart and he'd have two guys who can pass.

Another passer on the Gomez line is just not what the doc ordered. Gionta would be even more covered.

That would free up AK for the Gomez/Gionta line.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Have you followed the dogs at all this year? Watched any games? Just curious as to how you gained this insight that he has no potential to be a future NHLer.....
I never said he would not make it or that he had no potential to be a future NHLer. You need to read better and write what you mean better. You said he was a future NHLer for sure and I said no he wasn't. He's not "for sure". Not even close. He's as far as "for sure" as you can get. He has a decent shot, he could even be a pretty good player. In fact, I like him a lot. But he's got some pretty huge hurdles ahead of him.

Now if you didn't mean he was "for sure", then you shouldn't have said that, I can't read your mind. Some of us don't like to assume too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Well you have to consider that alot of the key players to the Bulldogs over the years have been pure AHL signings. Ex. Glumac, Lehoux, Belle, Denis, Sanford, Henry, Jancevski. And then you have players from those ranks that we have let go. Ex. Chipchura, Trotter, Stewart, Desjardins, D'Agostini. And then you have the players who are still maturing down there. Ex. White, Maxwell, Weber, Pacioretty, Carle, Desharnais, Palushaj.

Just because an AHL team can have a great half a decade, doesn't mean all of those players are going to go on to become equally impactful NHLers in a couple years. We have graduated Higgins, Plekanec, Lapierre, Price, Halak, Ryder, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Pyatt, Grabovski, Subban from there in the last 5 or 6 or 7 years.......it's not exactly a terrible track record even though a few haven't panned out to complete expectations.
Not to forget AHL all stars, and by that I mean guys who can destroy the AHL but can't translate most of that at the NHL level : Ward, Locke, Darche. Desharnais is also part of that group but you've already included him.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:04 AM
bradrich99

Palushaj has great offensive abilities when it comes to setting up others but I wouldn't look for him to be a goal scorer at the NHL level.

He has played 95 games in the AHL and has 14 goals. He would be the rare guy who scores at the NHL when they couldn't in the AHL. Not that it can't happen, it just isn't the norm.

To continue the D'Ags comparison. Dags scored 14 goals in 20 games in his last AHL season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...007912009.html

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
neofury*

Fair enough but he definitely has the potential to be an NHLer. If he can't crack a teams top 6 I'd even argue he could definitely be used as a 3rd liner. This is why I say for sure. Obviously any player could not make it. You never know

But I mean to say maybe he doesn't reach that potential of top 6 player, but it's tough to see him not at least making a teams 3rd or 4th line a la Chipchura. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Reason I say this is because I don't feel he's the kind of player that can't make it if he doesn't reach top 6, I think he has the potential to play as a 3rd liner as well. To me it really isn't a question of if he'll make the NHL but where and when. Obviously I could be wrong he is a prospect but from what I've seen he looks great. I go based on my gut feeling about the guy which up until now hasn't been half bad.

The point I was trying to make in the other post is that when discussing player potential nothing is ever for sure. Even though I did say "NHL for sure" and I shouldn't have said that, I'm really talking about his potential, he has the potential to be an NHLer for sure. Not that he will be one guaranteed, my bad there. But when discussing prospects there is never really a guarantee. It's always a discussion of potential. Even sometimes guys who you would expect to be guaranteed 1st line players do become Daigle's

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote