HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Claude Giroux, 3-yr $11.25M extension [Post #46]

Old
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I'm not really sure where anyone is getting this 3 mill ballpark idea, considering Carter was awarded 5 mill after coming off a 53 point season, and Richards was given $5.75 mill after a 32 point season and, as I recall, about a 1/3 of a season at about a PPG clip. Giroux is coming off a 47 point season, and PPG so far in this one. Sure, NHL contract numbers have cooled off a little bit over the last couple years, but all things considered, I don't see too much reason to expect his cap hit to not fall in the Carter/Richards ballpark, regardless of the years. I liked both the Richards and Carter contracts, but felt both were a little high on the cap hit. I'm guessing I'll probably end up feeling the same about Giroux's. But whatever...I'm actually even more concerned about keeping him than I was Carter or even Richards...definitely want to see him locked up, whether now or at the end of the season.
Carter had already had 2 23+ goal seasons under his belt though.

And Richards was extended after over half a season at a PPG, plus strong play post deadline in 06-07.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not really sure where anyone is getting this 3 mill ballpark idea, considering Carter was awarded 5 mill after coming off a 53 point season, and Richards was given $5.75 mill after a 32 point season and, as I recall, about a 1/3 of a season at about a PPG clip. Giroux is coming off a 47 point season, and PPG so far in this one. Sure, NHL contract numbers have cooled off a little bit over the last couple years, but all things considered, I don't see too much reason to expect his cap hit to not fall in the Carter/Richards ballpark, regardless of the years. I liked both the Richards and Carter contracts, but felt both were a little high on the cap hit. I'm guessing I'll probably end up feeling the same about Giroux's. But whatever...I'm actually even more concerned about keeping him than I was Carter or even Richards...definitely want to see him locked up, whether now or at the end of the season.
Carter came the summer after Vanek's offer sheet... bit different animal, and teams have figured out how to take advantage of the RFA status a bit better. If they give him a monster deal right now (when he hasn't played well for a full season yet), then they're idiots.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
a 3 year deal could blow up in our face. By the end of that contract if he is a UFA then he may price ourselves out of his range. I expect Homer is trying to get a long term deal done instead.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
a 3 year deal could blow up in our face. By the end of that contract if he is a UFA then he may price ourselves out of his range. I expect Homer is trying to get a long term deal done instead.
He isn't an UFA at the end of a 3 year deal... same way Carter isn't.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He isn't an UFA at the end of a 3 year deal... same way Carter isn't.
how does that work....how many years till he is a ufa, because if not then that is probably the route to go.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
how does that work....how many years till he is a ufa, because if not then that is probably the route to go.
7 years.

Now, they may change that in the next CBA, but I kind of doubt it... because you can already become an UFA really really young.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:20 AM
DayoftheGreek

Sign him forever.

Anything else is unacceptable.

DayoftheGreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
DrHamburg

i think he will get something like 3 year/4 year 4 million. however long depends on RFA. But if coburn got 3.2, im thinking giroux gets 4 in that case.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Carter had already had 2 23+ goal seasons under his belt though.

And Richards was extended after over half a season at a PPG, plus strong play post deadline in 06-07.
That Richards extension was done after he'd played 28 games of the '07-'08 season.

Quote:
Carter came the summer after Vanek's offer sheet... bit different animal, and teams have figured out how to take advantage of the RFA status a bit better. If they give him a monster deal right now (when he hasn't played well for a full season yet), then they're idiots.
Right, I tend to agree...but all things considered(Holmgren's skillz being one of them), I'll def be more surprised if the cap hit is closer to 3 mill than a Carter/Richards-like number. Like I said, I thought both of those were a little high, and considering the precedent he set with those, it'll just be that much harder to come in at ~3 mill. Hopefully, I'm not giving Holmgren and company enough credit, and their smarts as well as the slightly different state of NHL contracts these days will prove me wrong.

I'm still slightly bothered by the Richards number, though...that was the big precedent. I think it's a big part of what pulled Carter's number higher, and what will pull Giroux's number higher. I mean, for 12 effing years, I would've at least liked to see that number at something more like $4.75. I think I've seen you argue in the past that you like the Richards deal, because of the bar it sets...in the sense that he's our best player, and no forward's cap hit should eclipse his(Briere deal came earlier, of course). I like that idea, but still would've liked to see Richards' hit be a little lower. And I'm not even entirely sure that's for the best, because for all the good Richards does out there, he's gonna have a hell of a hard time outweighing the future potential value of guys like Carter, Giroux, maybe JVR, and probably others in the future. Hell, Carter's cap hit might very well come in higher than Richards' already on this next extension. So, what was the point of setting any kind of bar? Long story short, I still think 5.75 per was a little too high for a 12 year deal on Richards...for many reasons.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
DUHockey9

I'd imagine 3 years is basically a given (or should be). If it comes in over 4 mill, I'll be a little disappointed. I'm going to say 3 years 3.6 or so.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
That Richards extension was done after he'd played 28 games of the '07-'08 season.

Right, I tend to agree...but all things considered(Holmgren's skillz being one of them), I'll def be more surprised if the cap hit is closer to 3 mill than a Carter/Richards-like number. Like I said, I thought both of those were a little high, and considering the precedent he set with those, it'll just be that much harder to come in at ~3 mill. Hopefully, I'm not giving Holmgren and company enough credit, and their smarts as well as the slightly different state of NHL contracts these days will prove me wrong.

I'm still slightly bothered by the Richards number, though...that was the big precedent. I think it's a big part of what pulled Carter's number higher, and what will pull Giroux's number higher. I mean, for 12 effing years, I would've at least liked to see that number at something more like $4.75. I think I've seen you argue in the past that you like the Richards deal, because of the bar it sets...in the sense that he's our best player, and no forward's cap hit should eclipse his(Briere deal came earlier, of course). I like that idea, but still would've liked to see Richards' hit be a little lower. And I'm not even entirely sure that's for the best, because for all the good Richards does out there, he's gonna have a hell of a hard time outweighing the future potential value of guys like Carter, Giroux, maybe JVR, and probably others in the future. Hell, Carter's cap hit might very well come in higher than Richards' already on this next extension. So, what was the point of setting any kind of bar? Long story short, I still think 5.75 per was a little too high for a 12 year deal on Richards...for many reasons.
A LOT of the contracts signed a few years back look completely F'd up the way contracts are coming in now. That's largely because teams had not responded tot he salary cap yet, so there was still a lot of "free" money every offseason... now, not so much. A lot of teams are locked into big, long-term contracts that restrict their spending considerably.

Old
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
hof2120

I know he's young and some people would be hesitant to give out a long contract to a young guy but I'd love to see a 6+ year deal for Giroux. I don't see him falling off at all, only getting a lot better...and I mean A LOT.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Amateur Hour

3 years @ $10.5M-12M is my guess.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
i think he will get something like 3 year/4 year 4 million. however long depends on RFA. But if coburn got 3.2, im thinking giroux gets 4 in that case.
Coburn's first RFA contract was at 1.3 per.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemen View Post
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reported it. No details at the moment but just mentioned it in his write up. http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../16007376.html
Anthony SanFilippo shot this down the other day. He said nothing is close according to Flyers management.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
A LOT of the contracts signed a few years back look completely F'd up the way contracts are coming in now. That's largely because teams had not responded tot he salary cap yet, so there was still a lot of "free" money every offseason... now, not so much. A lot of teams are locked into big, long-term contracts that restrict their spending considerably.
Yeah really. Nobody pays Gomez or Drury or Briere the money they got back then, today

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Anthony SanFilippo shot this down the other day. He said nothing is close according to Flyers management.
What?!? Something written by Bruce Garrioch is untrue? Unpossible!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I still believe that Homer should have been trying to re-sign him after last season, something like 4/14M, now he will surely cost a bit more or sign for fewer years.

Carter deal, much to the chagrin of many here for whatever dumb reason, was an eventuality IMO. He won't take that much of a raise and he earns his check now.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:58 PM

vCash: 50
I'm happy with anything really, just lock him up. I'd love a Richards contract for him but maybe a touch cheaper, does anyone really think he won't be worth it?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
FlyorDie

I'm thinking it will be somewhere in the range of 3/4 years, 3/4 Million. Whatever they pay him, he's worth it. I'm not sure how his specific UFA case will be, but if that plays a role, I see it as more of a short term option.

Of course, it may prove problematic to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal if he continues to blossom into an elite playmaker; then he'd have the power to demand mega bucks.

FlyorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Claude Giroux 3-year extension

RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: PHI signs Claude Giroux to three-year $11.25M contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340429

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers have locked up a big part of their future as they have signed forward Claude Giroux to a three-year contract extension worth $11.25 million.

The 22-year old Giroux is in the final year of his entry level contract that will see him earn $765,000 this season. Under the terms of his new deal, the Hearst, Ontario native will earn $2.75 million in the first year of the extension, $3.5 million in the second and $5 million in the third for an average annual value of $3.75 million.

Giroux has followed up a strong playoff performance that saw him score 10 goals and add 11 assists in 23 games during the Flyers improbable Stanley Cup run with a fast start this season. He has seven goals and seven assists in 15 games.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-08-2010 at 06:01 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Man, that's a good contract.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Jester

Bit steeper than I'd like for 3 years at this point, but I'll take it.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Yeah I'd take that contract from your hands. I do think it's a tad too high for what he has done so far really but really, he'll be worth it and more in no time.

Congrats

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
He should still be an RFA, right? I think he'll be 26 on July 1, 2014 when that would expire.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote