HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators @ Canadiens| Nov 6th| 7:00 PM| HNIC

Old
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I resent that! People rip on Spezza because he makes bone head plays. We all understand that he has elite talent just as so many say that Kovalev has elite talent yet he gets ripped by all kinds of hockey analysts. Spezza is the same way, he has been slow to learn when to make the risky play & when to make the good play that coaches appreciate & both in the past were labelled defensively irresponsible. Just because some of us are not Spezza fans doesn't mean we are not fans of this team, I gave money way back when to bring this team to town, did you? BTW Leafs suck.
Fyi Fisher makes plenty of bone head plays especially in the offensive zone but you don't rip on him.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:12 PM
TheCode

You know.. instead of ragging on Spezza, or Karlsson, or Elliott, or Kovalev... I think you need to concentrate on the team as a whole. The team let Montreal come back last night... just as they did earlier in the season. In the 3rd period they were playing not to lose.. instead of playing to win. You can't blame the "little general" -- that mind set was in place with other coaches before him. They don't have that killer instinct. They'll need that if they want to go anywhere this season. JMHO.

TheCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I resent that! People rip on Spezza because he makes bone head plays. We all understand that he has elite talent just as so many say that Kovalev has elite talent yet he gets ripped by all kinds of hockey analysts. Spezza is the same way, he has been slow to learn when to make the risky play & when to make the good play that coaches appreciate & both in the past were labelled defensively irresponsible. Just because some of us are not Spezza fans doesn't mean we are not fans of this team, I gave money way back when to bring this team to town, did you? BTW Leafs suck.
I didn't mean you. But there have been a few guys over the years who lived in Ottawa and posted that turned out to be leaf fans in hiding.

I ripped on Spezza last year in the playoffs because I thought he was playing awful - and he was. He was injured and shouldn't have been in the lineup.

The management team seems to be acting more sensibly this year, not having him play through pain and injury. You can tell when his back is acting up in some games just by the way he skates.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Topside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCode View Post
You know.. instead of ragging on Spezza, or Karlsson, or Elliott, or Kovalev... I think you need to concentrate on the team as a whole. The team let Montreal come back last night... just as they did earlier in the season. In the 3rd period they were playing not to lose.. instead of playing to win. You can't blame the "little general" -- that mind set was in place with other coaches before him. They don't have that killer instinct. They'll need that if they want to go anywhere this season. JMHO.
Isn't the team 7-0 when leading after 2 periods? Seems like the prevent defense is working.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:29 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
Isn't the team 7-0 when leading after 2 periods? Seems like the prevent defense is working.
It sort of looks like they're trying to establish that they can shut down a game when they're leading and going into the 3rd.

If they kept pressing and were winning games by 2-3 every night people would complain that they couldn't win the close ones.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
topshelfie

Spezza is a completely different player now than when he was drafted.

His career numbers are actually really impressive.

OTT Jason Spezza #19(C): [NHL Career] 473 GP, 173 G, 311 A, 484 PTS, (79)+/-, 63 PPG, - PPA, 2 SHG, - SHA, 27 GWG, 328 PIM, 1168 SOG, 14.81 SH%

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
We kept up a forecheck of 2 guys for most of the third. It was only late that they tried sitting on the lead - after Montreal scored / started bringing real heat.
I confirm this was the case. I was relieved by that. It's ok to do it in the last 5 minutes but not at the start of the 3rd period. 20 mins is too much time to try to shutdown the opponent with the trap. And the Sens aren't really trap experts and lack Elite goaltending anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingrubber View Post
Right... Because you've played in the NHL before?

I don't know what you guys expect from goalie's...
???Hmmm, I tought I was clear :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I'm confident to say I would stop it 9 times out of 10, and I'm an amateur goalie. This was a bad goal, look at the replay and watch Elliott's blocker. All you have to do when the shooter has no angle like that, is to get out of your net, and be ready to get down in butterfly position as the same instant the shot goes off. The blocker is an important piece of your equipment too and it was off-position.

I was facepalming in the Bell Center
I dunno for you guys in Ontario but in Quebec some people are very good at hockey, even in beer leagues/amateur leagues. So, some people have really hard shots. The 2nd Habs goal was weak. I'm sure Elliott would admit it as well. I have no problem admitting a bad goal when i give up one.

Anyway, I wasn't bashing Elliott (always been a fan, probably before you), but let's call a spade a spade. It was a bad goal at a very bad time. This time, the team bailed him out by closing the door after, just like he bailed them out the other day. All I ask from Elliott is to give less goals than the opposition and that's what he does on a regular basis since he is in the NHL, so I'm happy with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Xspyrit is an all star beer league goalie...
Ya, I'm proud to be able to get my ass off the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
How does that compare to being an all-star fantasy league GM?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I confirm this was the case. I was relieved by that. It's ok to do it in the last 5 minutes but not at the start of the 3rd period. 20 mins is too much time to try to shutdown the opponent with the trap. And the Sens aren't really trap experts and lack Elite goaltending anyway

???Hmmm, I tought I was clear :

I dunno for you guys in Ontario but in Quebec some people are very good at hockey, even in beer leagues/amateur leagues. So, some people have really hard shots. The 2nd Habs goal was weak. I'm sure Elliott would admit it as well. I have no problem admitting a bad goal when i give up one.

Anyway, I wasn't bashing Elliott (always been a fan, probably before you), but let's call a spade a spade. It was a bad goal at a very bad time. This time, the team bailed him out by closing the door after, just like he bailed them out the other day. All I ask from Elliott is to give less goals than the opposition and that's what he does on a regular basis since he is in the NHL, so I'm happy with him

Ya, I'm proud to be able to get my ass off the couch

Completely agree with you. Weak goal. I play in net too, and I've played with NHL prospect players around me (Jordan Weal, Stefan Elliott). Mind you, one of those was only street hockey hahahaha.

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCode View Post
? The Sens controlled the game from the start. Price made some very good saves (Elliott too but Price had to make more difficult ones) and was helped by his post in the 1st and later on when Spezza hit the bar I believe

The score was 3-1 in the 3rd and without that weak goal on Elliott, the game wouldn't have came as close.

But I agree with you that I would like them to have more killer instinct. It looks like they are shy to stomp teams sometimes. It's ok to lead 5-0 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Guesstimate as to how many sens fans were there?
I would say more than 100 and probably less than 300. Hard to say but not everyone wears a jersey... Just in my section, we were 5 to 10

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
brownelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Elliot got the win. Price cannot say the same.
For the record the Sens won the game ...

The 2nd goal was a bad one, gave the Habs unneeded momentum.

I'm not bashing the team, the team played well. My only point is that Elliott's got some distance to travel before we can feel confident in him when the chips are down.

The 2nd goal to the Habs is the kind of goal that turns into losses when the games matter and teams play more desperately. If he's going to be our guy, he has to make that stop every time.

brownelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Fyi Fisher makes plenty of bone head plays especially in the offensive zone but you don't rip on him.
Losing the puck in the offensive zone is no where near as bad as giving it away in your defensive zone. The only play I can think of that Fisher screwed up was when Phillips passed him the puck in front of his own net which it looked like he wasn't ready for that went off his stick to the opposition & ended in the back of our net, Spezza has made plenty of those. Fisher should have been ready for it & should have gotten it out of the zone.

He also hasn't played all that well in the last few games, I've heard on the radio that he might have some kind of injury, he has no hits in the last two games & that is unlike him.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
brownelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
A perfect low blocker shot is impossible to stop unless you're cheating to that side.
The shot was a waster taken from a sharp angle to hopefully generate a rebound.

It was very stoppable.

brownelvis is offline   Reply With Quote