HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MTL puts Dustin Boyd on waivers.(Cleared)

Old
11-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Here's hoping no one takes him. I think he's got some potential.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

re: the talk of Boyd staying up even if he clears waivers

...how does that work? what would be the point of sending a guy to waivers just to keep him with the big club, don't think i've ever even heard of that (just test the waters to see if anyone wants to take him off our hands for free but then try to tell him you still want him to play for you?)

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
A few cap lessons:

Boyd makes $650,000. So we would save a pro-rated (based on the percentage of the season he's played) savings on that number. Not sure where 1.2 million came from.

Putting him on waivers saves us not a dime. He's on the NHL roster and counts. If he is sent down, we save the money. Waiving him alone does nothing.
Ah okay. Thanks for that.

Either way, like I said, I don't think this is for cap reasons. If it was cap reasons, eller would have gone down. The 1.2 mil comes from the 0.6mil we have right now and the 0.6 that we would save if we send him down. I know the salary is prorated but he makes 0.65mil exactly and given the season just started, 0.6 is not that bad of an approximation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He's been in the league for a few years now,his best season is 22 points in 71 games.Not saying he is a bad player but to be in an offensive situation the Calgary and Nashville would have also seen something in him.I don't think he has the abilities to be a top 6 player (constant)
Fair enough. I don't know about Nashville but I know that in Calgary, he was never given a prolonged chance on the top 6. Maybe part of it is he might not be talented enough. One thing is for sure, I would rather try him there than Moen. At least Boyd still has untapped offensive upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
The A.) scenario is the only that makes sense if I understand the process correctly. The Habs are clearing cap space for something else? Wouldn't the Habs send him onto Hamilton (assuming he clears) if they were calling someone up? I'm not too familiar with Hamilton's entire roster so I don't know if they would need a body to replace one coming up.
Yea the only scenario where we save cap is if we send him to Hamilton or if someone takes him off our hands.

I don't think we send him to Hamilton because right now, we have a lot of extra bodies there barely playing.

Honestly, I'm just confused by the move.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Yea the only scenario where we save cap is if we send him to Hamilton or if someone takes him off our hands.

I don't think we send him to Hamilton because right now, we have a lot of extra bodies there barely playing.

Honestly, I'm just confused by the move.
I think it's simply that the team has no particular use for him and figures they can give him a chance elsewhere.

If he gets claimed, we can bring up a White, Palushaj, Desharnais, Maxwell, Pacioretty type to fill that role just as well.

If he doesn't, then he fills it. No big deal.

However, the difference between Boyd and those guys (at this stage) is not so great that the team would be willing to eat the extra half million it would cost them to send Boyd down and call one of them up.

Love or hate him, and I know the forums are divided on this, but Darche has taken his role.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post

...how does that work? what would be the point of sending a guy to waivers just to keep him with the big club, don't think i've ever even heard of that (just test the waters to see if anyone wants to take him off our hands for free but then try to tell him you still want him to play for you?)
Isn't kind of like Souray who cleared waivers but never reported to an Edmonton farm club. He's on loan to Hershey and in the mean time Edmonton can use that cap space although they are still responsible for Souray's salary. But he's not on the roster either as far as I can tell.

NOTE: I'm not suggesting Boyd is a bad apple here - just trying to reason why this move is being made.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Gahhhhh my post got lost in the thread merger.

I was commenting on the Guérin bit, saying he would love to sign in Montreal. I think he would love to sign for any NHL team...

As far as this move goes, there has to be something else to it (need room because of a trade, signing a UFA à la Bergeron or moving someone from the dogs up) otherwise it makes very little sense.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
sent to the minors, no biggie

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
The only reason i can see why this move was made is that MTL want to use Boyd as 13th forward. Maybe he complained that he wanted more playing time or that he deserves more, so the Habs placed him on waiver to give him a shot with another team and if he clears, then he cant complain being the 13th forward.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

I think it's probably a favour to Boyd. If he clears, he knows his place. If he gets claimed, he has another chance to prove he deserves more icetime.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Lucius

Quote:

It happens more than you realize.

Usually it is either someone who is a "bad apple" (Souray).

Or it is if the team isn't willing to eat his cap hit in the minors, but has no place for him on the pro roster.

Given Martin's comments, Boyd seems to be the latter. He flat out said that with a full roster, there is no opportunity for the guy, so they're putting him on waivers.

Old
BigHabs

The whole thing doesn't make sense, why would they bring someone else up if they are saying if Boyd clears he is staying with the big club. The way I see it is they are not ready to bring anyone up from the bulldogs. If they were ready to, they wouldn't be stating that Boyd will be staying with the Habs if he does clear.

I think they might be saying that he has potential and they want other GM's to notice, by saying if he clears he stays with the big club. They might look at it that Montreal wants to get this guy a chance to play similar to O'Brien and Hordichuk, they wanting playing time and Gillis tried his best to find them a team that would give them playing time as their positions were filled and they had no need for them anymore.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
THE HOFF

probably has more to do with eller earning a spot and pouilot finding a spot on the bottom 6 than boyd's play. It can't be bad for boyd to regroup in the AHL but I doubt he enjoy's it. He might have been moving clubs, but surely he considered himself an nhler....and that could be a problem I wouldn't be surprised seeing him being dealt for a late pick or a prospect gamble.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

To me that people are complaining that we lost the trade is the funniest thing i've read on these boards. Possibly funnier than people who thought the trade was good initially.

There really wasn't any trade. We gave him away for the rights to two UFAs. One in which we weren't interested, and the other one that we signed WAYYYY past the first day of free agency so we basically could have signed Boyd at any time we wanted.

We lost that trade the second it was made, and everyone knew that. The fact we signed Boyd has really nothing to do with the trade, he was an UFA at that point. We never had to trade SK to sign Boyd.

Anyway, good move, he was useless. Hope White is recalled.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 658
Well we know what this means. Smolinski back to face Brodeur?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
The only reason i can see why this move was made is that MTL want to use Boyd as 13th forward. Maybe he complained that he wanted more playing time or that he deserves more, so the Habs placed him on waiver to give him a shot with another team and if he clears, then he cant complain being the 13th forward.
Based on the available info so far, this seems most likely.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The two of them were on pace for 16 point seasons... really? Well enough?

Something had to change.

As to Lapierre *shrug* It's clear we don't have another top six winger, so he's rolling the dice, looking for chemistry.

Pouliot isn't an option because the PhD line has been spectacular so far, why break them up?
It's normal that they're on pace for 16pts, they're on a cold streak and it's early. Subban and Markov are on pace to have 0 goal..you believe that's what's going to happen?..
Gomez and Gionta should stay together. Martin has done absolutely nothing with this move. I really am scratching my head as to what he's thinking.
I agreed with breaking up the 1st line in order to make a solid offensive 2nd line with A.Ko/Gionta/Gomez and put a good youngsters like Eller with Plek/Cammy as he'll have more chances of success playing along these two guys rather than 2 struggling ones. I felt this was worth a try. But his current lines are incredibly ridiculous.
He dismantled the first line for absolutely no reason. It's pretty much as if he replaced Pouliot with Eller on his line...

He took a struggling Gionta, put him with another semi-struggling Cammy. Took a hot Kostitsyn and put him with a struggling Gomez and a 3rd liner...whawhawhattt??..
It's a recipe for disaster in my eyes.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Kafka

Over the last week, this team has been missing solid work from the fourth line. The kind of effort that leads to opponent penalties or faceoffs in the offensive zone. Boyd was given the "energy" role. He didn't took it. Management had to give him a fair shot before taking a decision. That's good with me.

Now, I expect Ryan White to be given the spot he was supposed to get after his traning camp. Hopefully, he didn't lose what he showed us during the pre-season, and we'll have Pyatt and White working togheter.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
GordonGraham

Im gonna bet as soon as he clears MAB signs with the habs

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's normal that they're on pace for 16pts, they're on a cold streak and it's early. Subban and Markov are on pace to have 0 goal..you believe that's what's going to happen?..
Gomez and Gionta should stay together. Martin has done absolutely nothing with this move. I really am scratching my head as to what he's thinking.
I agreed with breaking up the 1st line in order to make a solid offensive 2nd line with A.Ko/Gionta/Gomez and put a good youngsters like Eller with Plek/Cammy as he'll have more chances of success playing along these two guys rather than 2 struggling ones. I felt this was worth a try. But his current lines are incredibly ridiculous.
He dismantled the first line for absolutely no reason. It's pretty much as if he replaced Pouliot with Eller on his line...

He took a struggling Gionta, put him with another semi-struggling Cammy. Took a hot Kostitsyn and put him with a struggling Gomez and a 3rd liner...whawhawhattt??..
It's a recipe for disaster in my eyes.
Possibly, but the fact is that we have five top six forwards. So someone has to play with a 3rd liner.

And of those top six, only two of them (Plekanec and Kostitsyn) are playing well.

Cammy, Gionta, and Gomez are all struggling badly.

To me, the solution was to put the three struggling guys together and try the random plug with Pleky/Kostitsyn, but what Martin did makes some sense too.

I doubt Gionta and Gomez are split up forever, but maybe a few games apart will break them out of whatever funk they're in. Gionta did score, after all.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

They should try to trade him for Sergei Kostytsin...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
Yeah! maybe? Was just listening to Bill Guerin on the Team990 this morn, says he'd love to play for Montreal.
Ah yes

Another washed up 40 years old veteran who would like to play for the Habs because no other team wants him.

Shades of Shanahan , Hull ect

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:15 PM
sampollock

SO WE GOT squat for ak the whiner

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Wow... Does the management think Boyd was THAT bad?
Actually, he really is. He's the anti-Spacek -- he looks energetic and involved to the eye but he gets crushed in practice. Ottawa absolutely destroyed him.

Someone pointed out that once a player clears waivers the waiving team has a window to send him down. If the Habs don't have a move or call-up ready then waive-and-keep makes sense. More likely to be a move actually; if they wanted to do a call-up they wouldn't need to wait.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

nashville should pick him up.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Tray4Adams