HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #13- Red Wings @ Canucks - 7PM PST- CBC

Old
11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I disagree that Raymond had a bad game.

Raymond made a lot of nice feeds (last one to Samuelsson who missed the top right corner by a foot) contrary to what he usually does which is to dangle until he either shoots or passes to the open man of last resort (and in no position to score).

Raymond is our best dangler but he's not good enough to dangle and score single-handedly regularly - very few in the NHL can. For Raymond, dangling needs to become a means to an end which is to make plays.

Not an easy thing for him to do as his game is very individualistic (ever notice that he rarely passes on a 2 on 1?) but that style of play is very wasteful - considering how much time he has the puck on a string in the opposing zone, the yield is really low, not to mention that he has two linemates who can put the puck in the net in a hurry.

That's why I say last night was a step in the right direction.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Luongo looked average. None of the goals were bad, but he wasn't sharp either.

The defense was not good on any of the even strength goals against and gets as much blame as Luongo

Erhrhoff and Edler. Not enough pressure from either of these guys. Not sure who Edler was taking on the Kronwall goal. Kronwall took a pass and a a shot from close in straight in front without getting touched. Still Edler is looking great otherwise.

Ballard fell and Rome could have done a bit more in front of the next

Bieksa make a pass that got pick off at centre and by the time it was skated back had barely moved.

-------------------------------------------------

Bieksa is definitely playing better this season even if his offense has dried up. Pointless in 12/13 games but +4, is about the exact opposite of Bieksa's last few years. Maybe, just maybe, he got the fright of his life this off season and actually started paying attention to what people were complaining about rather than dismissing it out of hand.

-----------------------------------------

Ballard: still hasn't been scored against on the PK but still got a very small amount of PK time. He must be less healthy/fit than we are lead to believe.

-----------------------------------------

A win's a win no matter how small.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:41 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i think it was hughson who kept talking about how MG and AV have built a very detroit-like team, but to my eyes what they've actually done is put together a team to beat detroit, based on the model of the team that's been most successful against them in recent history: the skilled and tough '07 ducks. really great to see.
WHOOOO!

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:20 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
It's the OOT thread on CP. Obviously you have the pure haters but there are some giving credit.

Edit: Link - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=97651
That was a good read. There was the typical "moar leik caSUCKS, amirite?!?!" but overall it was strangely complimentary towards the Canucks. It's so weird seeing posts like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMissesItsFlames
The illusion is we have been waiting for years for a team like Vancouver has and it will be a long time until we do. This is painful beyond describe.
I never really hated or liked the Flames, I just sort of didn't care about them... at all. But now I find myself feeling sorry for them. I want to see Vancouver succeed above all else but nobody deserves management like the Flames have.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:39 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
That was a good read. There was the typical "moar leik caSUCKS, amirite?!?!" but overall it was strangely complimentary towards the Canucks. It's so weird seeing posts like:

I never really hated or liked the Flames, I just sort of didn't care about them... at all. But now I find myself feeling sorry for them. I want to see Vancouver succeed above all else but nobody deserves management like the Flames have.
Yes Flames fans do. Well not all of them but a large enough percentage that I refuse to feel bad for them in the slightest.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Wow! It's on Calgary Puck and everything... I thought they just hated the Canucks forever and always, so even the thickest headed Flames fan can appreciate darn good hockey
Don't get your hopes up, it's mostly Canucks fans posting in that thread. The only reason that thread doesn't degenerate into a normal CP thread is that most of the kids didn't bother watching the Canucks game, and stayed out of the OOT thread.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
meh, they've had it easy - inherited a plus .500 club/playoff hockey club from Atlanta vs the crap we got as a true expansion club.

boohoo - they've had to deal the Sutter's for less than a decade. We had to deal with crap managment for some *THIRTY PLUS* years.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:40 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post

Bieksa make a pass that got pick off at centre and by the time it was skated back had barely moved.
They blamed Bieksa on the broadcast for that goal, but I didn't think that was fair comment.

Both Bieksa and Ballard got themselves into position to challenge Kronwall and force him to either split the D or shoot from well above the circles. When the puck comes back at you that quickly, there is no possible way to angle Kronwall out, the only play is what they did. Had Bieksa and Ballard moved quicker (up ice with the puck), there is no way they could have got back in time to even challenge Kronwall.

Coming out of his own zone, with #44 and #93 forechecking, Bieksa had no one to pass to. Bertuzzi, Franzen and Filpula were all between Bieksa and any Canuck forward, so he did the right thing - off the boards and out. On this play, I think Hansen is supposed to tip/chip it deep, but he is out manned by Bertuzzi and Franzen. There was no one to support the puck in the neutral zone (because the Sedins were heading to the bench) and Kronwall was given the puck in full flight. As a defenseman, when a guy hits the blue line at top speed and you're either stopped or going the other way, there's not a lot you can do. Bieksa and Ballard forced him to shoot from 30 feet, but Kronwall used Bieksa as a screen, shot through his legs and beat Luongo.

The real problem on that play was that when Bieksa cleared the puck, Henrik and Daniel headed for the bench on the far side of the ice for a change and Torres and Malhotra were barely on the ice before Kronwall was over the blue line.

Check out these 3 sequences and tell me that somehow this is Bieksa's fault.

Bieksa clears the puck - Sedins head for the bench.

Bertuzzi picks up the puck, knocks it to Franzen who hits Kronwall in full stride. Sedins not fully off the ice yet, Torres (my photo says Malhotra, but since it is Daniel at the bench, it is likely Torres) just steps on. At this point, Henrik should have turned and picked up Kronwall coming down main street, but he continues to the bench.

Kronwall is in on clean on the defense. Kronwall takes the shot from approximately where Ballard is at in this frame, but Bieksa (skating forward) and Ballard (skating backwards) close on Kronwall and he shoots through Bieksa's legs. Torres (my photoshop says Malhotra) and Hansen scrambling back.

BTW - Bert gets cheated out of an assist on this play. They give it to Stuart who is not even in the frame and doesn't touch the puck.

Last edited by LeftCoast: 11-08-2010 at 12:56 AM.
LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffCourtnall View Post
Other posters agree he was bad. Scroll back a few pages and look at the comments about him after he let in the fourth goal, or the third for that matter. Have you ever seen any other goalie whine so much? It's just a fact, I'm not making it up.

Honest question, have you ever seen any other goalie complain as much after letting in a goal?
Roloson no doubt *****ed more than any goalie I can remember.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Thanks for the curb stomping. Guess who the Wings play next?

::edit::

First opportunity to post this:

Last edited by Dolemite: 11-08-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:33 AM
clay

I, like a lot of posters around here, am absolutely fed up with Luongo's Cinderella act after getting scored on. The one where he was begging for goalie interference was just pathetic. It's an embarrassing to see from a guy who is supposed to be a leader on our team.

The fact that he is so quick on the draw at turning to the ref after getting scored on clearly indicates that the excuse is already in his head before the puck crosses the line. If he focused more on battling through any contact and doing everything and anything to stop the puck, he'd see a lot fewer of these pucks going in and he would maybe actually get some respect from the refs who are clearly are fed up with his BS.

clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:55 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
They blamed Bieksa on the broadcast for that goal, but I didn't think that was fair comment.

Both Bieksa and Ballard got themselves into position to challenge Kronwall and force him to either split the D or shoot from well above the circles. When the puck comes back at you that quickly, there is no possible way to angle Kronwall out, the only play is what they did. Had Bieksa and Ballard moved quicker (up ice with the puck), there is no way they could have got back in time to even challenge Kronwall.
I still think he was little slow after making the pass and but he played it well enough, but yeah Henrik changing created the grap. Any happy to stand corrected.

Last edited by me2: 11-08-2010 at 04:09 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:02 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Complaining about complaining...

We're back here again.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffCourtnall View Post
If you'd listened to team 1040 the other afternoon, you would know about it. There's more info out there than what's on hf.
The onus is on you to provide proof of what you're claiming. Google turns up absolutely nothing questioning Keith Ballard's conditioning at any point in his career.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The onus is on you to provide proof of what you're claiming. Google turns up absolutely nothing questioning Keith Ballard's conditioning at any point in his career.
You're waisting your time. He has been caught lying about stuff/making it up many times over now. (And Team 1040 too for that matter, so not exactly a reliable source even if true.)

I don't see the point of questioning the conditioning of somebody who has missed only 13 games prior to becoming a Canuck (in 5 seasons) and has played 22+ min/gm since his rookie year. There is absolutely no way to play those kind of minutes, get traded for the good version of Jokinen, and be poorly conditioned. There just isn't.

What you're seeing is a guy that is about a month behind on his conditioning because he was coming off a hip surgery and who just recently had a concussion. It's going to take time.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-08-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I love how deep this team is at the present. We have Ballard playing on our bottom D-pairing, we have three lines that can legitimately provide an offensive threat on any given night, and we have physicality and grit coming from this team when we need it, without taking stupid penalties.

Me likey.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You're waisting your time. He has been caught lying about stuff/making it up many times over now. (And Team 1040 too for that matter, so not exactly a reliable source even if true.)

I don't see the point of questioning the conditioning of somebody who has missed only 13 games prior to becoming a Canuck (in 5 seasons) and has played 22+ min/gm since his rookie year. There is absolutely no way to play those kind of minutes, get traded for the good version of Jokinen, and be poorly conditioned. There just isn't.

What you're seeing is a guy that is about a month behind on his conditioning because he was coming off a hip surgery and who just recently had a concussion. It's going to take time.
Often when posters have made these sort of claims, if you take the time to check the podcast or audio archive, it turns out that some off-the-wall caller makes the claim.

Hi this is Festus, like I am callin' from Whalley, eh. Keith Ballard is having problems because he is so out of condition like he has been his whole career.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I love how deep this team is at the present. We have Ballard playing on our bottom D-pairing, we have three lines that can legitimately provide an offensive threat on any given night, and we have physicality and grit coming from this team when we need it, without taking stupid penalties.

Me likey.
And Dan Hamhuis is set to return to action.

Also there are a number of D prospects down on the farm.

Given the age of the core group and the prospects in the pipeline this should be a team that competes with the elite for the foreseeable future.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Had the chance to watch the PVRed 1st period. Man. Alberts' hit on Datsyuk and Torres' hit on Stuart were just awesome.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Had the chance to watch the PVRed 1st period. Man. Alberts' hit on Datsyuk and Torres' hit on Stuart were just awesome.
I honestly think that after the Brule hit the night before, that hit on Datsyuk made him duck out of a couple of plays in the 3rd. Not something he usually does, so I have to wonder if he got his cage rattled a little.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Given the age of the core group and the prospects in the pipeline this should be a team that competes with the elite for the foreseeable future.
I am seriously interested in the Canucks Oilers games in 2 years when player like Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin should be in the Canucks line up.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Fast forward to the first intermission where CBC talked about Datsyuk getting flattened.

Quote:

Me likey.
This was never the challenge going into this season. The ability for the Canucks to play disciplined D for 60 minutes was.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote