HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Evgeny Grachev "showcased" (but actually sent back to HFD)

Old
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
have the Rangers ever given in to threats? I imagine no. To me, this just means Gaborik is ready to play and they wanted to get Grachev in for one more game before he got sent down. In the pre-game, Torts talks about his decision quite a bit, about get more looks at him. Obviously didn't like what he saw. Probably from the whole team though. And trailing into the 3rd, you can see him riding pine. Torts is looking to win the game. If we were up 3-0, you would have seen Grachev with 10 minutes TOI.

here is that vid

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe grachev was sent down because gaborik is set to return thus needing a roster spot?

The first thing everyone jumps on is ZOMG HE'S GONNA GET TRADED!

EDIT - n8 has the right idea!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
they are not trading Grachev. Its obvious he needs seasoning, maybe @ the ECHL level where he could dominate. He got his cup of coffee, hopefully now he knows what to work on.

He is big and fast and has a great shot. I hope he develops. Sometimes a prospect is only a prospect. I hope Grachev becomes a player. Lets just staty patient. Although a different position, Mike Sauer spent 3 years in Hartford. I just want Gernander to give him 20 minutes a game, no matter what.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure people were just saying "let's let him dominate at the AHL level". What's next; "Let's just let him dominate the Chelsea Piers men's league"?

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

He looked better than i thought he would and it was good to let him get a taste of the NHL. I think he will definitely be able to compete at this level sometime in the near future....probably next season.

Not upset by the move at all, I also don't think we will see him traded unless it is for an established top 6 guy or top 4 d-man.

Hopefully this means Gabby is almost at full strength and once Drury is back in Stepan and Grachev can hopefully tear it up in the AHL on the first line....along with MZA.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
I don't get to watch any AHL games, so maybe somebody who does can help me out here. Does Grachev look like he won't be the solid NHL player we expected him to be? From what I've read here and on other sites, he doesn't look like the player he was in juniors.

Would it be wise to give up on him and trade him?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
they are not trading Grachev. Its obvious he needs seasoning, maybe @ the ECHL level where he could dominate. He got his cup of coffee, hopefully now he knows what to work on.
How about FHL?

http://danburywhalers.pointstreaksit.../tryout-camp-2

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure people were just saying "let's let him dominate at the AHL level". What's next; "Let's just let him dominate the Chelsea Piers men's league"?

LOL... the Chelsea Piers men's league is no joke... Grachev better bring his A game on a consistent basis.

Seriously, if a prospect cannot dominate the AHL in a few years, then he is not an NHL prospet. Grachev has to eventually dominate the AHL if he is NHL calibur.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts discussed the move

Quote:
“This is how it works,” Tortorella said. “He’s up here for a half a dozen games. There were some inconsistencies with his game, he did some good things and struggled in some areas. He’s still just a young kid beginning the process here. Instead of playing him four, five, six seven minutes, we looked at him, he has some work to do, now we’ve got to get him back down there and playing again. Maybe the next time he comes up, he understands it, he plays more consistently and he gets more minutes. Away from the puck, that’s the key thing to get more minutes and maybe his offense comes on the third call-up. Who knows? But this is how it all works so he’s going to go down and start playing again.

“This is a good thing, this is another young kid that had a chance to play,” Tortorella added of the 20-year-old Grachev. “This is a good thing for the organization. The more kids that get the experience and start the process, the better off for the future of the organization. Sometimes players go down there ticked off. I don’t think he should. I think it should be a motivation of what he wants to get to. Again, he didn’t hurt, he wasn’t totally out of place but he’s got a lot to learn. He’s got a long way to go to become a National Hockey League pro. So he should be happy that it started.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ill_stepan_ok/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Does Grachev look like he won't be the solid NHL player we expected him to be? From what I've read here and on other sites, he doesn't look like the player he was in juniors.
The feedback that i've seen (various people seeing the AHL games, mostly to get updates on MZA), Grachev has been depicted in various ways, none of them favorable (but in his "defense", nor have most of the rest of the Wolf Pack, hehe). Not seen him play myself, so i dont have a personal opinion on it.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What should he say? "We showed him up enough, let's see if someone bites..."? We don't know, nor should we trust Torts or Brooks. I

Old
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
What should he say? "We showed him up enough, let's see if someone bites..."? We don't know, nor should we trust either Torts nor Brooks. I
Well if he was being showcased torts certainly wouldn't mentally burn it into everyones brain that grachev has inconsistancy in his game, now would he?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Trade him for what? Not for some of the overpriced and underachieving malcontents proposed on these boards. Grachev is in the first season of his 3 year ELC. Last season was a free year. Sliding rule. It's not a Sanguinetti situation where the player is entering the last season of his ELC and is one year away from requiring waivers to be assigned to the AHL. Earlier this morning, I read the Flyers might need to make a move with JVR. This quote by Daniel Briere stuck out.

Quote:
"I went through exactly the same thing," said center Danny Briere, who bounced around the minors his first four seasons as a pro. "It took me a long time to figure it out. I made the mistake of, when they sent me down, I started pouting and I started looking elsewhere to deflect the blame and that's the worst thing you can do.

"What's important to him is to go back to work on his game.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...n-Van-Riemsdyk

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
94now

Quote:
Trade him for what? Not for some of the overpriced and underachieving malcontents proposed on these boards. Grachev is in the first season of his 3 year ELC. Last season was a free year. Sliding rule. It's not a Sanguinetti situation where the player is entering the last season of his ELC and is one year away from requiring waivers to be assigned to the AHL. Earlier this morning, I read the Flyers might need to make a move with JVR. This quote by Daniel Briere stuck out.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...n-Van-Riemsdyk
No one is saying that Grachev went to minors for life. Mods combined two threads into one so the conversation is somewhat distorted as a result. The process of making the NHL vary from player to player and even elite one like Briere went through multiple assignments back and forth. Nothing in this process, however, that prevents showcasing the player for the possible trade.
Suppose Rangers talked with other team about acquiring left D. They need to show Grachev as possible asset in MSG so their scouts could see where he is with respect to NHL readiness. They wouldn't trust just this board on that (LOL).

Old
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
msv957

Quote:
Good read about Grachev from Torts.

I really did not like this quote in particular from Torts.....

"Again, he didn’t hurt, he wasn’t totally out of place but he’s got a lot to learn. He’s got a long way to go to become a National Hockey League pro. So he should be happy that it started.”

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Good read about Grachev from Torts.

I really did not like this quote in particular from Torts.....

"Again, he didn’t hurt, he wasn’t totally out of place but he’s got a lot to learn. He’s got a long way to go to become a National Hockey League pro. So he should be happy that it started.”
The truth hurts sometimes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
kovazub94

First, I don't think any one player was hands down deserving a call up and was unfairly passed by Grachev. Second, I do think that Rangers are more patient than some of the posters here and the organization is not ready to give up Grachev (which I agree). So even though it went against Rangers general policy of calling up players who dominated AHL level, it is also smart to bend some rules where it is appropriate (the goal is to develop players not follow some self-imposed rules). Hopefully, Grachev gets the boost of confidence and new understanding of what he needs to do and work on in AHL so that the next time he sticks for good with the Rangers.

And it can't be more straightforward than the fact that a player who is "showcased" plays more than 4 min on the forth line, period.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Anyone being called up in Grachev's place?

Either Gaborik really is returning this week, or, we are just going with White and Boogaard in the lineup.

I may be the only one, but I'd still like to see a little more of Williams. He played well in his one game. Good energy.

Or maybe Byers.

Someone with a good physical edge, and a lot of energy.

This obviously being for the 4th line.

I just can't stand the thought of having Boogaard and/or White in the lineup every game. They're both useless as NHL hockey players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Grachev going back down is good, let him get top 6 minutes.

Stepan may be next. But the kid is the real deal, his talent and smarts, and determination, are very aparent.

I don't think Step goes anywhere until Dru is back in the lineup and shows he's healthy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Hopefully this will jump start him give him a taste of the pie and then tell him he has to work to get the rest

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I've disagreed with this organization about a lot of things over the years, but I think that they're handling him exactly correctly. I just wish that I had more faith in the coaching staff that they're sending him back to.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I got to see a ton of JVR in college,and I daresay i'm not surprised.

He lacks drive.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I got to see a ton of JVR in college,and I daresay i'm not surprised.

He lacks drive.
You telling me he could be yet another top ten pick maybe taken a bit early due to the ever attractive size ?

I was not a huge fan during his draft, but thought he looked good last year. Still young, may take some time like most guys that size.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
It may well have been the NYRBB, which I posted on for a long time until it went to crap a couple years ago. But I may go thread searching at some point.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=614866

Here it is. Looks like I was right about Del Zotto and Anisimov, wrong about Kveton. Always interesting to look at time capsules.
A whole lot of not being reality in that thread.

11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
A whole lot of not being reality in that thread.
Im just happy to note that I was as cynical then as I am now...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
The Mouth

"Showcased" for what ? Grachev is a 20 yr old work in progress.

Lot of demand for that.

Yeah put him on the ice for four minutes with Boogaard and Stepan that's a showcase no NHL scout can resist.

Nonsense.

Grachev looked good. He didn't look great and he didnt look bad. That's more than I had hoped for after hearing from people who watched him glide through a season in Hartford last year.

His problem while he was here is he didn't look like he wanted the puck for fear of screwing up.

I ask myself this. The Rangers put him in a 4th line checking role. Did he perform his duties without looking out of place ?

The answer is yes.

I'm satisfied and you should be too.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote