HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Holiday home daytime games coming?

Old
11-05-2010, 05:35 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Holiday home daytime games coming?

Just got a STH survey from the CBJ asking what our interest level would be in having a day game on the following holidays. Columbus Day (and would be come a tradition), Presidents Day and MLK day.

They survey also asked if we liked the New Years Eve games, if we preferred to have a game before or after the Thursday Thanksgiving day and also asked about game times for Sundays after 2/1(end of NFL games).

I think that making a Columbus Day daytime game a traditional game would be awesome.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 11-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
MFRONE

There is absolutely no reason the COLUMBUS Blue Jackets shouldn't be playing on Columbus Day.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

As far as a Columbus Day game, attendance may be an issue being a Monday. Government offices observe this but most private companies don't give this day off. Good reason to create a three day weekend. Yeah it could be the start of a good tradition.

Last edited by Jaxs: 11-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:58 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 278
I love the New Years Eve games. My only concern though is my 2 hour drive home on a night where you have idiots drinking & driving.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
MFRONE

The NYE game would be better earlier in the day IMO.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
CapnCornelius

It is interesting the approach teams take in this respect.

Obviously the Dallas Cowboys/Detroit Lions own the Thanksgiving sports market. A tradition that has always seemed, random to say the least. We celebrate a day that we spent with Native Americans...by watching a team named after the guys that helped wipe out their way of living (as a result of farming of domesticated cattle as much or more than actual gun fights).

The Jackets have, in most years had an NYE game (I seem to remember at least one exception, but my memory may fail me).

The Anaheim Ducks always have a day game on the day after Thanksgiving. It has become enough of a tradition that they have chose than game to "reveal" their third jersey.

Columbus Day is obviously a logical choice. While attendance might not work in other cities, there are probably enough government workers in the State's capital that you could make it work.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
There is absolutely no reason the COLUMBUS Blue Jackets shouldn't be playing on Columbus Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
The NYE game would be better earlier in the day IMO.
These.

Folks could/would resolve their schedule conflicts in sufficient number to make it work.

Old
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
CapnCornelius

By the way, how many times would a national network show the Santa Maria if the Jackets were to host a Columbus Day Game? I'm putting the over/under at 3.

Incidentally, when I first moved to Columbus, having seen plenty of tall ships, I thought the Santa Maria was a cute little quarter scale replica. When I found out it is to scale, I suddenly was a lot more impressed with Columbus' accomplishment.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:08 PM
DEF

For Columbus day, parking would be a problem.

DEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF View Post
For Columbus day, parking would be a problem.
That is one problem I see. Most of the Nationwide Arena parking is used by Nationwide Insurance employees and they do not currently get Columbus Day off, but there have been daytime events at the Arena during a work day before including a Bush rally that was sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
By the way, how many times would a national network show the Santa Maria if the Jackets were to host a Columbus Day Game? I'm putting the over/under at 3.

Incidentally, when I first moved to Columbus, having seen plenty of tall ships, I thought the Santa Maria was a cute little quarter scale replica. When I found out it is to scale, I suddenly was a lot more impressed with Columbus' accomplishment.
I have lived in this area all my life and I have never gone to see the Santa Maria. But I do drive right by it after every Jackets game.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
That is one problem I see. Most of the Nationwide Arena parking is used by Nationwide Insurance employees and they do not currently get Columbus Day off, but there have been daytime events at the Arena during a work day before including a Bush rally that was sold out.

I have lived in this area all my life and I have never gone to see the Santa Maria. But I do drive right by it after every Jackets game.
Don't bother with the Santa Maria - I wasn't even impressed as a 10 year old.

It would make perfect sense for a team in the sun belt to have a game on Columbus day. All of the other Southern teams should do it, too.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I like the Columbus Day tradition... vs the SC champion every year.. just for kicks and a good turnout.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Doctor Spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I like the Columbus Day tradition... vs the SC champion every year.. just for kicks and a good turnout.
I like the idea too, but do you really think folks will show up next year for an inter-squad scrimmage?

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post
I like the idea too, but do you really think folks will show up next year for an inter-squad scrimmage?
There can be an exception...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1975
A game on Columbus Day is a terrific idea. Why not get local businesses to buy tickets for school kids on this day? Make it a celebration, have a time before or after the game where the kids get to tour the arena, learn the history of the city of Columbus, and the Blue Jackets. It can work, many baseball teams, major and minor leagues, have a kids day and fill the house in the spring. Why not in the fall? Some good old Yankee ingenuity might pay off with a great tradition ongoing for Columbus. Yes I know tickets are more expensive in the NHL, but if a business would underrite a portion of the tickets, for say, the upper bowl, this can get done and the CBJ could fill the house, create new fans, and have a great new tradition.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:26 PM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
A game on Columbus Day is a terrific idea. Why not get local businesses to buy tickets for school kids on this day?
Because kids are not off from school on Columbus Day.

Oddly enough, this year kids are were off on Oct 15.

Also, Ohio State University does not observe Columbus Day on the first Monday of October. It is observed on December 24 so students, staff and faculty can have Christmas eve off. This would have an impact of students, staff and faculty attending.

OSU also does not oberserve President's Day on the third Monday of February. Rather it is observed on the day after Thanksgiving so students, staff and faculty can have a long weekend. Why not have an afternoon game the day after T-giving? IIRC, the Jackets played Philly for a afternoon game the day after T-giving in 2005?

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
Because kids are not off from school on Columbus Day.

Oddly enough, this year kids are were off on Oct 15.

Also, Ohio State University does not observe Columbus Day on the first Monday of October. It is observed on December 24 so students, staff and faculty can have Christmas eve off. This would have an impact of students, staff and faculty attending.

OSU also does not oberserve President's Day on the third Monday of February. Rather it is observed on the day after Thanksgiving so students, staff and faculty can have a long weekend. Why not have an afternoon game the day after T-giving? IIRC, the Jackets played Philly for a afternoon game the day after T-giving in 2005?
Kids get off for the baseball games. How does that happen? What holiday is in April or May? Check the previous seasons for Akron, Columbus, etc. If they want to make it work, they will

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'd take the over. Pregame, both intermissions, and postgame.

I could go for the tradition, tho. G-d knows this team needs something resembling more tradition.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote