HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Youth hockey in Germany?

Old
05-26-2006, 02:03 PM
maverick44

vCash: 500
Youth hockey in Germany?

My wife and I are from Canada and we are thinking of moving back to her native Germany. I was wondering if someone could please help provide us with information about youth/amateur hockey in Germany. How is it setup? What are some of the better places/programs to consider, etc.? Appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer. Our kids are considered to be very good players in their age groups in Canada and hockey is an important part of their life and being able to continue to play and develop in Germany would be a major concern of theirs and willingness to move.

Cheers,

Rod

maverick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Giguere27

The most important german junior league is the DNL and probably the best prograams are situated in berlin or Mannheim.I can give you the links,so you should get more information there.
There is also training offered by almost every team,esspecially in Bavaria,but the best solution for players,who want to become pros,is to join an DNL-team.

http://www.eisbaerenjuniors.de/index2.html

Giguere27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Sanderson

It really depends on which part of Germany you want to live in.
If it's Northern Germany, Berlin would be the only choice for good junior hockey, although I wouldn't really consider it to be part of Northern Germany. Berlin is the only DEL-team whose second team is playing in a competetive league as well (3rd tier), so they can let many of their kids (depending on age, of course) play in a men's league if needed.

Western Germany has three DEL-teams with an own DNL-team, Mannheim, Cologne and Krefeld. Mannheim being the dominant DNL-team, having won the title five years in a row.

The rest of the DNL is pretty much in Bavaria or close to it and doesn't belong to a DEL-team. Which doesn't have to mean a lot for someone playing youth hockey.

Overall it's a ten team league with 36 games plus playoffs.

If you'd be able to say which part of the country would be the most likely choice, I could ask some people who have closer connections to youth-hockey, to get you in contact with one of the teams.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
maverick44

Thank you both for the information. My kids are probably too young for these programs, my oldest is only 11. Also, my cousin plays for Ingolstadt (Canadian too) in the DEL, but I haven't bothered to ask his opinion yet because his kids are even younger then mine. My wife is from the Kempten area and if we moved back there, what would you suggest then? Thinking of Munich too, so that we can be closer to Ingolstadt. Any information that you can give me to minor hockey (amateur) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance again for your speedy replies.

Old
05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
maverick44

My apologies... now that I look at the Berlin site, I see that they have teams of all ages. Any similar sites for Kempten, Fussen, Munich or Ingolstadt areas? My wife speaks and can read German, but I am lousy when it comes to doing the searching, etc.... Again thanks in advance.

Old
05-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Giguere27

I think Füssen has a really good junior programm,but the problem is that their senior team plays in the third leaude.But as Sanderson said,if your kids are good players,there are other ways.ingolstadt is working to start junior programms,but I'm not sure if they are already started.

But it's the best decision to go to Bavaria,as it's the most beautiful country!

Old
05-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Sanderson

Ah, that age group. That's a bit too young for me to have any knowledge about, especially for Southern Germany

Kempten: http://www.eishockey-kottern.de/index.html (not directly Kempten, but they are the team formerly known as Kempten)

Füssen: http://www.ev-fuessen.de/page1.htm

Munich: http://nachwuchs.ehc-muenchen.de/

Ingolstadt: http://www.erc-ingolstadt.net/

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 09:23 AM
maverick44

Again thank you both, very much appreciated.

Old
05-27-2006, 09:44 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Keep us updated. I'm interested in how you guys make your transition over and how the kids like the hockey system

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Burgs

Of the clubs listed, I'd recommend EV Füssen. They have an excellent reputation in junior hockey. Since your kids are so young, the weak senior team doesn't really matter. Füssen holds the record for most national championships won, but their glory years have long passed. Pretty much all that is left is the tradition, knowledge and emphasis on player development.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 06:15 PM
EHCler

Well in Bavaria there are various decent youth programs for kids that age. If you move to Kempten you should look at Kaufbaeuren and Fuessen and maybe Riessersee which is a bit further away but has a sucessfull DNL program. All these clubs are traditional hockey clubs known for youth development which are scouted by the big German clubs.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

In general, if your wife is from around Kempten (which does have a hockey program, but not all that advanced on the greater scale of things), then your landing in pretty much Germany's hockey hotbed if you settle in that area. All the information above is correct, but you can also find great youth hockey programs in Bad Tölz, Rosenheim, Regensburg, Crimmitschau and in Bietigheim (around Stuttgart). Bavaria and partially Baden Wurtemburg is definitely ahead of other areas of Germany when it comes to youth hockey. Even many of the players who ultimately play in everything from the DEL to the 3rd league, irregardless of where the teams are located, originally come from Bavaria. It's also the region of Germany that has the heaviest winters, so there is some logic behind it all.

Best of luck to you and uhhhh, now we are all curious of course as to who your cousin is??? I'm sure most of us are quite familiar with Ingolstadt's line-up.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:49 AM
maverick44

Thank you everyone for all your continued help, very much appreciated. We are not 100% positive that we will be moving, but we are considering it seriously if certain business events work out here as planned and are also planning a new venture in Europe.

Do the youth teams hold tryouts every summer? If so when are tryouts? Does season start and end about the same time as the DEL?

Like I said I haven't talked to my cousin about this yet/lately, although I have mentioned it to him and his wife that we have always thought about moving there at some time, but we are seriously considering it now. And to answer your question, my cousin is Doug Ast, his dad and my dad are brothers. I plan to talk to him soon about everything to get his opinion, just wanted to get some preliminary information before I do. Thanks again.

Old
05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Doug Ast? Sure, we know him. He was like their leading scorer last season after several injury-filled seasons.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Giguere27

This are interesting news and beacuse of your close relationship to Doug Ast,one of the ebst players in Ingolstadt,it shouldn't be a problem to let your kids play for Ingolstadt.But they are a young franchise and therefore they are trying to build a good junior system,so i could take one or two seasons till everything works perfectly there.

Old
06-22-2006, 03:49 PM
zambonidriver

If you move near Kempten , Kaufbeuren is a good choice, near Munich ,Landshut has the best program .Choose a team with high level U14/U15 team . ( in Bavaria Bad Tölz,Rosenheim, Kaufbeuren,Landshut )

zambonidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
frostie

15 year old?

Hi there everyone, Im new to this forum. Im 14 years old at the moment and live in Anchorage, Alaska, USA! Im very intrested in student foreign exhchange and will probably come to Germany next year on exchange. There is only one problem...hockey! I am looking very promising right now, i am playing one whole age group ahead of mine in Youth hockey and plaing competitive hockey. so that means im playing Midget U16 AA hockey. The sports are a little different here. WE end out hockey season in OKTOBER!!! but we start one a week after the 1st one ends. The new season is High school hockey. And you have to try out for your high school hockey team to keep playing thru out the year. At the end of the year you go back to the team you were playing on before high school hockey started. That team plays State Chapionchips (or playoffs) then,if you win, they play regionals (west coast play-offs) then, if you win that, Nationals (or USA hockey Nation playoffs) IF you win that YOUR team is that best team in the USA for your age group and division.

That is just a little information on how hockey works in ALaska and MOST of the United States.

But if i go off to germany i have know idea who to play for, what type of hockey is played at that level, and Where Im going to be staying for exchange. And NOT playing hockey is NOT acceptable. So next year I'll be 15 going to play somewhere in Germany (my birthday is Month/Day/Year 2/21/1992) with a few language problems and only a few extended family members around. My questions are : WHO SHOULD I BE TRYING OUT FOR? WHEN ARE TRYOUTS FOR THE TEAM? DO YOU EVEN HAVE TRYOUTS, HOW DO I GO ABOUT JOINING THE TEAM IF NOT? ARE THE TRYOUTS OPEN TO PUBLIC OR INVITE ONLY?

One more thing i should point out, IM A GOALTENDER!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Frostie

frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
frostie

any information is helpful by the way. I have little to no info about german and austrian hockey. and IM REALLY REALLY confused still heheh later

Frostie

Old
10-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
It´s not that easy to answer overall.
First, it all depends on where you´re staying, cause in some areas it´s difficult (up to not possible) to find a hockey team. So, if you do know about your destination it´s qay more easy to help you out on this.
Overall the south of Germany, the west (Cologne/Düsseldorf area) or Berlin would be the best place to end up. In those areas you won´t have any (bigger) problems finding a team and there are some (to numerous) solid youth teams.

Hellström is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:53 AM
frostie

OK so now. lets say im in Berlin, What league would i play in DNL? I really don't know the usual age for that league. Is there any other leagues in case im not good enough or something like that? Is there an actual youth league like in USA hockey all in Alaska, where i live, There is an association that hosts the "league" and there are different age groups and different Orginazations that have the same team name in each age group...if that makes any sense to you. For example, I play for the Midget-Age gorup- U16-Sub age group- AA-level of play (AAA,AA,A,B AAA being the best)- Alaska Bulldogs- team name. There are other Alaska Bulldog teams but they are either younger (I.E. Bantam AA Alaska Bulldogs) or older (I.E. Midget U18 AA Alaska Bulldogs).

Anyways im just looking for answers and getting them slowly.

Thanks for all the help and keep the replies coming,

Frostie

P.s. Im still pretty confused. Is there a website that could help me understand this better? the DEB one is pretty confusing.

Old
10-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
It´s about the same here in Europe.
If you´re good enough, they´ll let you have a look at a DNL team for sure. Otherwise you´ll go down the age ladder to those various junior team (i dunno which team you´ll fit in).
It´s not called AA, AAA or something like that but U15, U16 etc. 'U' could be described with 'under'..so all 'under 15' are playing in the 'U15' team and if they´re playing good hockey and injuries occure, then the best ones might be called up to the 'U16' team for example.
They often ahve the same name, too.

Hellström is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Tronador

It's only in German, but you see the structure of the youth-hockey in Germany:

http://www.hockeyweb.de/static/nw/index.htm

Good luck and greetings from Berlin

Tronador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:31 AM
RickyJack36

My boy is 4, is there any opportunities in Germany for him to play/learn?

RickyJack36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJack36 View Post
My boy is 4, is there any opportunities in Germany for him to play/learn?
sure. for that age you can find teams at almost any rink in germany. teams are happy about every kid that wants to play/learn hockey.

which region are you/will you go to?

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Don't be surprised though if you little child has to train at 10pm...

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote