HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Apparently I Use A Really Long Stick

Old
10-30-2010, 01:42 AM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I'm excellent at passing/playmaking with a longer stick. Just below my lip is the ideal happy medium for me. Going any shorter didn't help me at all but more than an inch longer is a little awkward.
Yeah there's a sweet spot for everyone obviously. Different people hold their arms quite differently when shooting/stickhandling, I think this is responsible for why some people's sweet spot is a much longer or shorter stick than others. The best way to tell IMO is definitely by the wear on your tape, if it's roughly in the middle of your blade that's fine, if it's really close to the heel you need a shorter stick or different lie, if it's wearing more at the toe you need a longer stick, but I virtually never see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Went a bit shorter tonight (using a 5.5 lie) and my passing and shooting WAS a bit better. Was skating well too.
Sweet! It's not gonna be massive differences (except for people whose sticks were WAY too long), but definitely noticeable. I just feel that when the stick is just the right length/lie so that the middle of the blade is the main point of contact everything about the shot feels more solid and balanced, and it somehow feels easier to get a good, predictable flex in the stick.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have two sticks, one is a 5 lie and a bit longer, the 5.5 is a bit shorter. I think they got longer because over the summer all I did was stand still and shoot, I didn't move. Skating = bent knees = lower stance = need a shorter stick.

It's still not super short...the 5.5 lie is 1" below the nose in bare feet and the 5 lie is to the nose. Shooting is tricky too, I have to get low before I shoot otherwise I top the puck.

I love hockey, I can **** around with stuff like this all day long. There's no gospel, just keep trying stuff and playing and having fun.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:54 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I have to debunk the myth that wear on the heel automatically means the length or lie is wrong. There are several reasons why this may be false, first and foremost, if you always stick handle on the heel like I do (90% of the time, I use a p106/Drury). Another point is about the rocker of a blade. Some patterns will lend themselves toward more wear on the toe and others on the heel. The real question is whether your stick ever hinders you, not tape wear.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I don't take it as gospel either. If you're skating and have a deep knee bend, you're lower to the ice, so you'll be more on the heel of the blade, and if you're standing upright (say at the point or waiting for a one timer) you will be more on the toe. It's about maximizing the blade on the ice for when you need it most.

Old
10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
I have to debunk the myth that wear on the heel automatically means the length or lie is wrong. There are several reasons why this may be false, first and foremost, if you always stick handle on the heel like I do (90% of the time, I use a p106/Drury). Another point is about the rocker of a blade. Some patterns will lend themselves toward more wear on the toe and others on the heel. The real question is whether your stick ever hinders you, not tape wear.
Ya, exact same curve as me with p106, I really just dont see myself putting pressure anywhere else on the blade regularly cause that seems to be the right place for that blade pattern to "load" the puck at and put my weight on.

Might take another pic of the blade flush on the ground if I can get good lighting...really shows how the blade cups the ice

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
WithOutPaperss

Yeah, you can also have wear at the toe if you hold the puck in close when stickhandling, or maybe you hold the puck really far out when you stickhandle and that would cause wear on the tape at the heel of the blade.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:56 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
It's not heel wear in general, the heel wear issue is when it's MUCH more concentrated in the heel. If you're burning through the heel in a period or two when your tape job lasts 3 games, you have an issue.

My tape wears evenly along the middle of the blade with more wear in the heel and in the toe.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:02 AM
biturbo19

I tend to play with a 'longer' stick as well. But i spend most of my time as a defenceman. And honestly, it's just sort of what i'm used to so it works and gives me a bit of extra reach as a very average heighted dude.

If i was a very different type of player i might think about changing to a shorter stick, but this is what works for me, and i've played with longer sticks for too long to just suddenly change. I've tried and it just feels really awkward. So...whatever.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:13 AM
dannythekid

I like having a longer stick just because I may not be in a perfect hockey stance all the time and lower into my knees. However as of recently I've noticed I've been taking shots a little too far in on the blade and that I've been getting wear on the heel more, so I think I'm getting better on posture and I'm going to cut one of my sticks down to get the puck outside on the blade more in the spot I like.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It's not heel wear in general, the heel wear issue is when it's MUCH more concentrated in the heel. If you're burning through the heel in a period or two when your tape job lasts 3 games, you have an issue.

My tape wears evenly along the middle of the blade with more wear in the heel and in the toe.
Indeed. Also, for all the people saying heavy tape wear right by the heel can come from stickhandling, not shooting, I disagree. Think about practice/stick and puck, if you go out and work mainly on stickhandling/passing your tape will not wear much at all even after an hour or two of use, but practice blasting slap shot after slap shot and your tape will be worn through in half an hour. Better yet, just check your tape wear after a good session of SHOOTING at stick and puck, if it is heavily concentrated right by the heel with little wear anywhere else, then you are putting most of the pressure on the heel of your stick during your shots, when more evenly distributed pressure will give you a harder and more accurate shot. As for the toe and heel wear, I get this a bit too, and think it's normal, especially when I take a lot of snap shots (I start my flex more on the toe on snappers).

People can think I'm wrong all they want, but I'm quite confident that:
- roughly evenly distributed wear = roughly even pressure on the blade when shooting
- wear very concentrated only at the heel = putting all your pressure on the heel when shooting, which leads to poor and unpredictable stick flex, those weaker and less accurate shots

If you rarely shoot and really use your stick mostly for poke checks and what not, thats fine, but if you think an overly wrong stick is fine for shooting, you should really give a shorter (obviously not too short) stick a try for a few hours and see what happens to your shot.

Just for fun, here's some slow mo videos of how a slap shot should be performed, you will notice that none of these guys are predominantly pressuring the heel, the blade contacts the ice quite flat, as it should be:

etc.

Last edited by ponder: 10-31-2010 at 10:57 AM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
FiveHole23

I have been reading this thread for the past couple of days and doing my own researcg because typically I just play with however long the stick is when I get it. Found this website talks about cutting it way shorter then any of you really mentioned but gives some points as to why. Wonder what you guys thought, I am planning on cutting one of my old wood sticks to try out a shorter stick for my nwxt game.. cuthockeysticks.com is the site the info on there might be dated so not sure

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's Howie Meeker's advice. It's not bad, but it's from a different era. Back then, you could barely flex the wood sticks, shot releases were a lot slower, but goalies were awful. It was more of a slapper and deke league.

Old
11-09-2010, 09:02 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

My stick also comes up to my eyebrows in street shoes, and I almost feel like it's a little too short. I sometimes find myself with my top hand halfway off the stick. I mainly play the wing, but I drop back and cover points a lot and play full scrimmages and sometimes games on defense. I often only use one hand on my stick. I'm always trying to take away passing lanes, or poke check, or just get my stick near the puck to take space away from whoever has it, and whenever I'm just skating hard without the puck (through the nuetral zone on rush or backchecking hard or whatever), I always have my stick out in front of me one-handed instead of on both hands swinging to my side.

For me, using a long stick probably comes from when I was a kid, and buying a stick was just finding the only lefty they had at the local sport store and never cutting it down. I've got a couple woodies I don't use right now and I'd be interested in cutting one down and giving it a try, I think. How much different does it feel? One reason I'm pretty interested is that my slapper sucks, I usually get too much ice and it seems like shorter stick would help that?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Give it a shot, can't hurt at all. I'd cut one at the nose in bare feet and one a couple inches shorter to see how it all feels. Force yourself to use one for a while.

Old
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
One reason I'm pretty interested is that my slapper sucks, I usually get too much ice and it seems like shorter stick would help that?
Well I wouldn't say thats the sole reason for a poor slapper just something in technique. But like Jarick said try out a shorter stick it might just work for you cause ya never know until ya try, your slapper technique may call for a shorter stick.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
My stick also comes up to my eyebrows in street shoes, and I almost feel like it's a little too short. I sometimes find myself with my top hand halfway off the stick. I mainly play the wing, but I drop back and cover points a lot and play full scrimmages and sometimes games on defense. I often only use one hand on my stick. I'm always trying to take away passing lanes, or poke check, or just get my stick near the puck to take space away from whoever has it, and whenever I'm just skating hard without the puck (through the nuetral zone on rush or backchecking hard or whatever), I always have my stick out in front of me one-handed instead of on both hands swinging to my side.

For me, using a long stick probably comes from when I was a kid, and buying a stick was just finding the only lefty they had at the local sport store and never cutting it down. I've got a couple woodies I don't use right now and I'd be interested in cutting one down and giving it a try, I think. How much different does it feel? One reason I'm pretty interested is that my slapper sucks, I usually get too much ice and it seems like shorter stick would help that?
Yeah, it's tough to take a good slapper with a really long stick. You have to drop the hand further down the shaft and keep the puck further out to the side of your body.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I use a longer stick too. I've tried shorter, wasn't too crazy about it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
sirpipsalot

I use a stick that is in the middle of my forehead in shoes. I feel like it has actually helped my stick handling. I can push the puck well ahead of myself and many times the defender swipes at it, and at that point i can toe drag / slide it out of his reach and go by him.

The wear pattern is at the heel, and my slapper sucks. But i have a strong wrist shot and i can zip passes where i want. I think it has much to do with just getting used to whatever stick you have.

sirpipsalot is offline   Reply With Quote