HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MTL puts Dustin Boyd on waivers.(Cleared)

Old
11-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Was about time.

Now bring some fresh blood from Hamilton.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's wait and see. Still fighting an injury he had previously. While we all think he won't amount to anything, we all know what trades can do to players. Sergei has talent. Needs to start to be a professional and then use it. But I remember we had a whole lot of expectations for him and thought he might have in him to become better than his bro. So let's wait and see there. Truly, he didn't have a lot of value then. I just wished we would have gotten rid of him before he had less than zero value....
Isn't that our trademark already?

We either trade for nothing, or worse, bigger problems... or let them walk away in their prime.

I know blaming the management is easy and trendy.. but.. uhh.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
JayBee*

He had to have demanded a trade.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

If he clears waivers, my guess would be Boyd is off to play for the Manitoba Moose.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
ChoseLa

Just to be clear with everyone, Justin Boyd is not an asset.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Didn't read the 11 pages

I could see three reasons why Boyd was waived

-JM and/or PG think that he has no future with the Habs
-The management wants to call up a player from Hamilton and they want to make room on the 23 man roster
-Boyd is only 24 and might still have some potential. It might be better for him to play with the Dogs rather than sitting in the stands.

Reason 1 and 2 are kinda connected though. But if we recall a player he has to take Darche, Pyatt or Eller's spot or else it won't make sense to recall a prospect just to let him sit in the stands.

I think it's an odd timing to waive Boyd. We only have 13 forwards with the club and it's not like we are desperatly close to the salary cap. Boyd isn't a great player but he still is good enough to play in the NHL. If he gets claimed, I'm sure that we will miss him if 2 or 3 of our forwards get injured.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:43 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Didn't read the 11 pages

-The management wants to call up a player from Hamilton and they want to make room on the 23 man roster
-Boyd is only 24 and might still have some potential. It might be better for him to play with the Dogs rather than sitting in the stands.

Reason 1 and 2 are kinda connected though. But if we recall a player he has to take Darche, Pyatt or Eller's spot or else it won't make sense to recall a prospect just to let him sit in the stands.

I think it's an odd timing to waive Boyd. We only have 13 forwards with the club and it's not like we are desperatly close to the salary cap. Boyd isn't a great player but he still is good enough to play in the NHL. If he gets claimed, I'm sure that we will miss him if 2 or 3 of our forwards get injured.
I believe that there is at least 3 players from hamilton who would be more useful than Boyd... and Bergeron is coming!!!!!!!!

Old
11-09-2010, 12:48 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Didn't read the 11 pages

"Si personne ne le réclame, il fera partie de notre équipe de la même façon et on continuera à travailler avec lui."

Martin said that Boyd will not go to AHL
so cant recall a player. 2 and 3 are not ok
the 1 is also false... if they see no future... they cant waste a spot

im wondering the strategy

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:51 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
"Si personne ne le réclame, il fera partie de notre équipe de la même façon et on continuera à travailler avec lui."

Martin said that Boyd will not go to AHL
so cant recall a player. 2 and 3 are not ok
the 1 is also false... if they see no future... they cant waste a spot

im wondering the strategy
I'm pretty sure he ment that only if requirement number 1 is met does the second stands.

Old
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Bieber fever

I don't believe JM and PG don't know if he someone will claim him...I heard there is a kinda ''gentleman rule'' between GMs....if you want to claim someone , you have to call the organisation before to make sure eveything is ok.

I don't believe the let's put him on the waiver and let's see what happen, they know what they are doing.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
axman88

don't you have two weeks to send a player down after they cleared waivers? (and after clearing waivers they can still play for your team during those two weeks)

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
don't you have two weeks to send a player down after they cleared waivers? (and after clearing waivers they can still play for your team during those two weeks)
not sure about the timeframe but yes, the said player is still part of the team and he can play.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:20 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
I have been hearing rumblings alll day that a "new" player will be coming to MTL shortly. What I am gathering by all this is that IF Dustin Boyd gets claimed, something else will get done in the following hours? days? something like that. I am pretty sure the Habs management know that someone will claim him. I have been hearing Bergeron for a while now. But my bet would be on Billy Guerin.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Seems that the move is just for Boyd to be happier if possible. Unless a trade is in the works, calling back somebody from Hamilton doesn't seem what they have in mind. So the idea is to let other teams pick him so it would mean he'd play more. That's it. We love to see guys being happy.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seems that the move is just for Boyd to be happier if possible. Unless a trade is in the works, calling back somebody from Hamilton doesn't seem what they have in mind. So the idea is to let other teams pick him so it would mean he'd play more. That's it. We love to see guys being happy.
lol

We work really hard on making players happy by trading or waiving them, but forget to make players who stay here happy ...

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
We're making room for Cheechoo.
Why are you making toy train noises?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

He has until 12:00 today to be claimed right?

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the reasoning for this is that once he passes waivers, they then have the flexibility to send him down if needed without going back on waivers...from what I understand.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
He has until 12:00 today to be claimed right?
Yes around 12.15 we should know if he cleared or not

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
The fact is, the Canadiens have a glut of young centers about whom decisions have to be made in the near future. Next year, all of Maxwell, White, and Desharnais would need to go through waivers to be sent to Hamilton. You'll also have Engqvist who will have completed a full season in the AHL and looks to be a potential very good shutdown centerman, and Leblanc entering his Hamilton rookie season. Not to mention Pacioretty and Palushaj tearing it up on the wings.

It's nice to have signed Boyd and Halpern and had the luxury of seeing who would perform for us, but some decisions are going to have to be made looking ahead. Totally in favour of letting Boyd go to give an audition to one of the Bulldogs at this point.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Mister Potato

Now I really hope he gets claim by others to see our next move from our great GM PG.

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
The fact is, the Canadiens have a glut of young centers about whom decisions have to be made in the near future. Next year, all of Maxwell, White, and Desharnais would need to go through waivers to be sent to Hamilton. You'll also have Engqvist who will have completed a full season in the AHL and looks to be a potential very good shutdown centerman, and Leblanc entering his Hamilton rookie season. Not to mention Pacioretty and Palushaj tearing it up on the wings.

It's nice to have signed Boyd and Halpern and had the luxury of seeing who would perform for us, but some decisions are going to have to be made looking ahead. Totally in favour of letting Boyd go to give an audition to one of the Bulldogs at this point.
I have a feeling that since we have so many potential NHL ready players next season, we're going to be shipping some of them away. Teams will get rid of players they feel can have an impact elsewhere but can't fit into their own line-up.

I'm not good at predictions but I'm thinking that Desharnais, Pacioretty and Engqvist will all be shipped off. I don't like it but we don't have room for 6 rookies next season.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
I have a feeling that since we have so many potential NHL ready players next season, we're going to be shipping some of them away. Teams will get rid of players they feel can have an impact elsewhere but can't fit into their own line-up.

I'm not good at predictions but I'm thinking that Desharnais, Pacioretty and Engqvist will all be shipped off. I don't like it but we don't have room for 6 rookies next season.
Trading a couple of prospects and maybe a roster player for a true top 6-player would be a dream, but definitely easier said than done.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:49 AM
ikelechien

Quote:

Quote, I think you are on to something - there is a wealth of prospects now in Hamilton. At least 7 forwards and 3 D who are likely to get a shot somewhere either this year or next. Not all can make it in Montreal and some may not make it at all but are likely to be given the shot.

LW - Pacioretty
C - Desharnais
C- Engqvist
C - Maxwell
RW - Avtsin
RW - Palushaj
RW - White
D - Nash
D - Weber
D - Carle

Personnally, I hope we retain at least Nash, Avtsin, White and Pacioretty but with the possible exception of Avtsin all are expendable for the right price.

I would like to see more grit and size in out bottom six but obviously some of the above will have to make it elsewhere as I can't see the team carrying more than 3 or 4 rookies, if that.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post

I don't believe the let's put him on the waiver and let's see what happen, they know what they are doing.
Did you hear the short press conference/scrum yesterday with Martin. If he knows what he is doing he is sure doing a lousy job of making in appear that way.

They asked him what the purpose was of putting Boyd on waivers - he said: "There is no purpose - the purpose is to put him on waivers". He said that the rationale behind the move was to make the team better, when reporters pressed him about how exactly it would make the team better he basically had no answer.

Its actually one of the most inept sound bites you will ever hear from our coach. It left me wondering - where is Gauthier? Why wasn't he in front of the media answering those questions, especially when Martin was so obviously unprepared to answer them.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote