HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bill Guerin to the rescue?

Old
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
If Martin is going to keep being a retard and playing guys like Moen, Lapierre and Pyatt in the top 6 then I wouldn't be against signing him. He sucks but he can't be any worse than the guys who have been put on the 2nd line. First choice would be to call up Desharnais, Palushaj or Pacioretty and try one in the top 6 but since Martin isn't a fan of young forwards not named Pyatt I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

If Eller isn't going to get put on a top 2 line for more than 2 periods I'd rather he just go and play in the AHL than stay here not because I don't think he's ready but I'd rather him have a consistent line and position and not get benched every time he makes a mistake.
Yeah but thing is I'd even be willing to argue Eller, Pouliot, Desharnais, Palushaj, White, Pacioretty, heck even WEBER LOL all would be better. I know we shouldn't rush players but I see no real reason other than "he's a smurf" or "he's a center" not to at least give Desharnais a shot. Aside from that Pouliot and Eller are obvious choices.

White could be better than whose been put there. Put him with GG and have him dig up the puck for them, hit people etc. Plus I think White is capable of netting a few in the mean time while a guy like Pouliot/Eller works on their game.

Still Martin putting a prospect on the 2nd line, doesn't seem all that likely. I'd like to see Palushaj get a shot on line #3 and move Pouliot up though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Guerin would not be my first choice, he looks done and doesn't have a very good reputation. That said, he can't do much less for our team than Boyd did, can he?

I'd have Nolan and yes even Bergeron ahead of Guerin.

I think some of the lesser guys like Veilleux and Ryan Johnson might already have moved on to European leagues? Maybe Johnson and Walker are still out there, but don't seem to bring much... except others could have said that about Halpern and look what he's done.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
God no....I really don't see what he could add at this point he is done.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:21 AM
skipp18

pass

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

give some of the kids an honest chance for chrissakes before bringing guerin's ointment into the mix -- what's wrong with you martin?!

if we want a slow scorer get cheechoo he's tearing up the ahl on a pto at least he's game ready

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu2001 View Post
Guerin now = Dagenais 2.0
no thanks.
I just threw up a little in my mouth

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
While Marinaro says there are no discussions between both camps, would you like to see him in our lineup?
We don't need to add an old washed up player. We just need Gomez Gionta and Cammy to start playing up to their abilities.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I'd take Dagenais back over Guerin.

I mean he is leading the FHL in scoring.

20 points in 7 games. +6.

www.federalhockeyleague.net

PS. You can actually watch archived games there for free it seems.

EDIT: Here's a link to *apparently* a 5-goal game for Dagenais from this year. Its a Windows Media Player file.
http://www.livesportsvideo.com/media...000007421&d=ar

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 11-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Maxpac

Penner or Hartnell please...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd take Dagenais back over Guerin.

I mean he is leading the FHL in scoring.

20 points in 7 games. +6.

www.federalhockeyleague.net

PS. You can actually watch archived games there for free it seems.

EDIT: Here's a link to *apparently* a 5-goal game for Dagenais from this year. Its a Windows Media Player file.
http://www.livesportsvideo.com/media...000007421&d=ar
Dagenais is so not washed up!!

ps. Video doesnt work

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Dagenais is so not washed up!!

ps. Video doesnt work
Works perfectly for me.

You may have to go to the first link and sign up before you can view the game.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Hartnell would be a nice addition to this team,don't really like Penner but if they take Spacek + in return I'd take a shot at Penner

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
RE-HABS

[QUOTE=Pernell Karl;28827265]If Martin is going to keep being a retard and playing guys like Moen, Lapierre and Pyatt in the top 6 then I wouldn't be against signing him. He sucks but he can't be any worse than the guys who have been put on the 2nd line. First choice would be to call up Desharnais, Palushaj or Pacioretty and try one in the top 6 but since Martin isn't a fan of young forwards not named Pyatt I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

If Eller isn't going to get put on a top 2 line for more than 2 periods I'd rather he just go and play in the AHL than stay here not because I don't think he's ready but I'd rather him have a consistent line and position and not get benched every time he makes a mistake.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. We don't lose the Halak trade if the kid goes down to play some hockey and to get minutes. I would rather him do well, then sit on the bench and see his progression stall or decline in order to prove something to the fans in regards to the trade.

Habs need to address the top 6 in a trade, not a older Guerin or Nolan coming here. We have assests and if we can't have them all up from Hamilton we should use them in trade or at least audition some of the kids.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

We get all the washed up players in this league because we trade our prospects when they are about to hit their peak - Langway, Chelios, Roy, Leclair, Tucker, Halak...and then out of regret we bring them back and hope they will regain their spark. See Denis Savard. So lets not sign Guerin and let one of the kids develop.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Now those two would be interesting. They would add size and grit ti our top 6 and both would be ideal to put in front of the net on the PP.

Hartnell would be my first choice as he would probably cost less to acquire with the Flyers cap issues (Carter being RFA at the end of the season) but i wouldn't mind Penner either.

They would be much better than Guerin , Nolan or any other washed up 40 years old veterans.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
Now those two would be interesting. They would add size and grit ti our top 6 and both would be ideal to put in front of the net on the PP.

Hartnell would be my first choice as he would probably cost less to acquire with the Flyers cap issues (Carter being RFA at the end of the season) but i wouldn't mind Penner either.

They would be much better than Guerin , Nolan or any other washed up 40 years old veterans.
Well, hopefully it goes without saying that almost anybody in the NHL (except Dustin Boyd?) would be better than Guerin/Nolan/unsigned veteran free agent types.

I'm not sure if Dustin Penner has much grit. Size yes, grit not much... or not often, anyway. I'd pass on Penner. Hartnell would be great, but we missed out on our chance to get him back when he was UFA. He's too entrenched in Philly now, I believe. He fits their team perfectly.

I presume Nolan would have to clear waivers now if we signed him, since he's playing in Europe? I wonder if some team would be a big meanie to us there if we signed him.

Old
11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
JayBee*

There is no next move.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
There is no next move.
I don't think so either, but there could be. The timing seems to indicate something was in the works, I hope it isn't Bill Guerin though. I'd rather promote our own then go out and sign him.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
There is no next move.
There's always a next move.

Eventually.

Old
11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
neofury*

I wouldn't cry about getting Penner for Spacek+. I think Penner has a lot more to offer than people think and may be a JM kind of player

Old
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Habitants

NO!

They are not desperate and it is still early in the season. They do not need to bring in a washed up vet who will waste a roster spot and take up cap space.

id rather give chance to White to see what he has to offer, by bringing him up you still have flexibility to try other options later, and wait for a reasonable trade opportunity to arise.

Penner could be a viable option with spacek going back the other way.

if Guerin is not signed now it is because no one else wanted him, so why should the habs take him. he was playing with the powerhouse penguins with limited success, so i really do not think he will be much help in Montreal.

so yeah...

NO!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
number 11

lol what a joke, there is absolutely no room for guerin on this team, there's a reason he doesn't have a job and the pens didn't take him back. this only proves once again that tony knows absolutely nothing about hockey and just needed something to talk about.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I wouldn't cry about getting Penner for Spacek+. I think Penner has a lot more to offer than people think and may be a JM kind of player
Well, that's akin enough to getting Penner for nothing, so nobody is going to reject that from our side. But I was not under the impression that a) the Oilers were particularly eager to move Penner, nor b) anybody would take Spacek. So what I meant was that I would pass on Penner at the price he would more likely actually command.

He's a decent-good player, just to me not worth $4.25M and whatever good assets it would take to get him. Hence: pass.

Old
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, that's akin enough to getting Penner for nothing, so nobody is going to reject that from our side. But I was not under the impression that a) the Oilers were particularly eager to move Penner, nor b) anybody would take Spacek. So what I meant was that I would pass on Penner at the price he would more likely actually command.

He's a decent-good player, just to me not worth $4.25M and whatever good assets it would take to get him. Hence: pass.
Ahh but I said "Spacek+" not "Spacek". I'm not great with proposals, would need to hear an Oiler fan perspective on it anyways. But I mean Spacek + whatever it takes for Penner.

Obviously it would have to work in terms of cap for both teams. I'm sure if you package any overpaid player with some good picks eventually a team will bite. Even a team on the rebuild would consider Gomez probably if we offered a few good picks plus a prospect or two. Just that in terms of Gomez from a habs standpoint we would have to give up way too much. Since Spacek's contract is far less detrimental to a team he'd be sent to and he could bounce back, it's far more do-able imo from both teams perspectives.

Old
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Miller Time

if we are going to roll the dice on a washed up vet, I'd rather go with Nolan.

but at this point, I'm still waiting to see Martin let Pouliot (or Eller) play on the 2nd line for a good 10-15 games.

I think Pouliot just needs to get a bit of support from the coach and he'll be fine (or at least productive enough to end this plug rotation we've been seeing for the 2nd line LW spot).

Latendresse, D'agostini, Pacioretty, Pouliot... at some point we need to give our young potential top6 players a fair shot at developing their game in the role they are supposed to play.

yo-yoing them back and forth in the bottom-6, giving them small tastes of the top-6 but always on a short leash, seems to be a great recipe to messing with their confidence and eventually watching them play better elsewhere.

when did we become a "win-now" team that couldn't afford to let young guys learn on the job?

or perhaps the better question is why don't we let them stay in the AHL until we're ready to give them a fair shot in the role they are supposed to be playing?

not every junior scorer can be a Tom Pyatt, nor should we want them to be.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote