HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rumor: Mikael Samuelsson to sign with Toronto once...

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2005, 02:21 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
I used to watch Boudreau and Podubny in St. Catharines, they were awesome minor leaguers.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Speaking of Ridiculous statements ..

How did that strategy work out for Doug Shedden in keeping his job or St. Johns keeping their team .. ??
Looking at the big picture, which is what corporations do, the team is where?

Evaluating the players via the press has never been a professional approach, and the coach is where?

I know the patrons of the farm team liked Shedden's candor, but so what, people like the National Enquirer, that doesn't make the publication of it honest, worthy, or classy.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Speaking of Ridiculous statements ..

How did that strategy work out for Doug Shedden in keeping his job or St. Johns keeping their team .. ??
please, you must have something better then this.

find me an ahl coach that doesn't give his best players, regardless of age, the most ice time.

and as if the leafs just let him do his own thing. they didn't give him those veteran players so he could sit them on the bench.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
timlap

I am enjoying this exchange betweeen Messnger and Frankie. By "enjoy," I don't actually mean, "read." Its just nice to know that some people keep up with their work even when professional hockey players let us down.

Things change- but its comforting to know that some things stay the same. But I'm worried. What will you argue about next year Frankie, when you no longer have the opportunity to watch our farm team in person?

According to the Principle of Having to See Games in Person in Order to Comment, I guess I am limited in my opportunities to the Thunder Bay Kings. Can someone who understands this principle please explain to me:

1) Must I actually watch them, or do I just have to have the possibility of watching them?

2) May I extend this to a liftime expertise on any player from Thunder Bay? Must everyone on this board bow to my opinion on Eric Staal, for instance?

I await your answers.

Soon we can draft all these principles we're developing into a Consitution and, we can feel good that we will not have wasted the lockout.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
2) May I extend this to a liftime expertise on any player from Thunder Bay? Must everyone on this board bow to my opinion on Eric Staal, for instance?

I await your answers.
I cannot comment on Stall, I'm not from Thunder Bay.

Old
05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

Evaluating the players via the press has never been a professional approach, and the coach is where?

I know the patrons of the farm team liked Shedden's candor, but so what, people like the National Enquirer, that doesn't make the publication of it honest, worthy, or classy.
when did he ever evaluate anyone via the press?

what's he supposed to do when he's asked a question about a player? give the jfj "no comment"?

can't wait til the nhl gets going and the marlies get going. there should be a steady stream of promotions from the ahl team to the nhl team, effective immediately, right? no less than 5 full time nhlers graduating from the marlies each year. the leafs will have too many nhl players for their own good.

Old
05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Mikael Samuelsson Right Wing
Born Dec 23 1976 -- Mariefred, Sweden
Height 6.01 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots L
Selected by San Jose Sharks round 5 #145 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft
He shoots R

Old
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
when did he ever evaluate anyone via the press?

what's he supposed to do when he's asked a question about a player? give the jfj "no comment"?
So you think the Press has a right to whatever information they ask?

They can ask, but that doesn't mean they are entitled to the information.

Loose lips sink ships.

Old
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonde 007
He shoots R
Who cares ... now your avatar ... I care a great deal.

No really, thanks, for the er correction.

Old
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Art Vandelay

Quote:
Who cares ... now your avatar ... I care a great deal.

No really, thanks, for the er correction.
I care.. I dont want the Leafs to sign him, they cant now and probaly wont if/when a new CBA is in place, and Samuelsson at 29 IMO wont sign with an AHL team.
Anyway i want him to stay with my team in the SEL.

Old
05-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Things change- but its comforting to know that some things stay the same. But I'm worried. What will you argue about next year Frankie, when you no longer have the opportunity to watch our farm team in person?
well since the rest of them don't need to actually watch any games and can be experts from long distance with very limited access, i guess i can too.

Quote:
According to the Principle of Having to See Games in Person in Order to Comment, I guess I am limited in my opportunities to the Thunder Bay Kings. Can someone who understands this principle please explain to me:

1) Must I actually watch them, or do I just have to have the possibility of watching them?

I await your answers.
my answers..................

1. i would think actually watching them would help, wouldn't it? just having the possibility really isn't much help unless you take advantage of the possibility. so yes, you would have to actually watch to reap the full benefit of having a team in your backyard.

2. if you watched eric staal throughout his junior career, isn't it reasonable to think you might know more about him during that time then anyone else here? or is that totally unreasonable and only worthy of ridicule? and i'm sure you know he had a great season in the ahl with lowell this year. would you know as much about his season and his play as a faithful season ticket holder in lowell? i doubt it.

Old
05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Frankie

Quote:
So you think the Press has a right to whatever information they ask?

They can ask, but that doesn't mean they are entitled to the information.

Loose lips sink ships.
rights and entitlement are irrelevant.

why wouldn't a coach give his opinion of a player when asked? there's no reason.

as a fan, especially as a long distance fan who has to rely exclusively on second hand information, don't you want to hear what the coach has to say?

or do you figure you know more then he does?

Old
05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

The thing I don't understand is Fergy and Company did not have a AHL team in their town , how come he is qualified to evaluate prospects, fire coaches based on arms-length knowledge and relocate long standing franchises ??

To steal a famous William Shakespeare quote:

" Something is rotten in the state of Denmark "

(Marcelus to Marc Anthony in Hamlet)

Last edited by Mess: 05-18-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Frankie

Quote:
The thing I don't understand is Fergy and Company did not have a AHL team in their town , how come he is qualified to evaluate prospects, fire coaches based on arms-length knowledge and relocate long standing franchises ??

To steal a famous William Shakespeare quote:

" Something is rotten in the state of Denmark "

(Marcelus to Marc Anthony in Hamlet)
ferg went to lots of games this year. since you followed the team so close, you should know that.

and, he speaks to the coach after almost every game and speaks to players too.

try again.

Old
05-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
ferg went to lots of games this year. since you followed the team so close, you should know that.

and, he speaks to the coach after almost every game and speaks to players too.

try again.
Good coaches get fired every day .. I wonder what he did wrong .??

Perhaps it was the lockout ..

With the extra time Fergy was able to keep an eye on him, without the lockout Shedden career would still be sailing along ..

Old
05-18-2005, 11:48 PM
timlap

Quote:
well since the rest of them don't need to actually watch any games and can be experts from long distance with very limited access, i guess i can too.

my answers..................

1. i would think actually watching them would help, wouldn't it? just having the possibility really isn't much help unless you take advantage of the possibility. so yes, you would have to actually watch to reap the full benefit of having a team in your backyard.

2. if you watched eric staal throughout his junior career, isn't it reasonable to think you might know more about him during that time then anyone else here? or is that totally unreasonable and only worthy of ridicule? and i'm sure you know he had a great season in the ahl with lowell this year. would you know as much about his season and his play as a faithful season ticket holder in lowell? i doubt it.
Your points are eminently reasonable, which I find unsettling.

Old
05-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Good coaches get fired every day .. I wonder what he did wrong .??

Perhaps it was the lockout ..

With the extra time Fergy was able to keep an eye on him, without the lockout Shedden career would still be sailing along ..
why do you keep changing the topic with each post? you won't respond to any questions and you're avoiding the issues which you know you can't defend.

all your uninformed opinions, and attempts to be funny and sarcastic have been shot down.

but i'll keep playing your game anyway because your lack of knowledge is becoming increasingly exposed with each post.

lockout or no lockout, winning or not winning, developing or not developing, it didn't matter for shedden. ferg has his own coach in mind and that's all there is to it.

Old
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Your points are eminently reasonable, which I find unsettling.
as are all my points. people just don't like what they're hearing.

Old
05-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Interesting. Another scrappy checker like Kukumberg, I guess.

Maybe the Leafs are going to make a trade, because they don't really need this type of player right now. At least, I wouldn't rate it as one of their top 5 needs.

They have plenty of cheap young guys to play on the 3rd line, like Stajan, Antropov, Ponikarovksy, Kukumberg and so on. Most of those guys were drafted fairly high in relative terms and should not be blocked by a vet player, so perhaps one or two are going to be moved when action finally resumes. I would not be surprised at all to see Nolan or McCabe moved along with a sweetener for some younger players and/or picks. This will clear cap room to rebuild a great team around Sundin while adding badly needed draft choices.

Perhaps the Leafs are trying to finally build a real checking line? Good call, but Pat Quinn doesn't really coach defence very well so I don't see how that's going to work.

It's not Quinn's style to have these kind of players. Then again...his extension has not been signed yet, has it?

Old
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
timlap

Quote:
as are all my points. people just don't like what they're hearing.
Reasonable should not be mistaken for true. And sometimes you're not quite as reasonable you make out (but we still love you ).

In this case though, you may have missed the irony of my earlier post.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
why do you keep changing the topic with each post?
The Memorial Cup starts this Saturday ..

Rogers Sportsnet is showing all the games

Try to catch some it will help you along with your CHL education for next year ..

Then we will able to talk about something .. With the NHL in lockout, Your AHL team gone and not yet any experience in the CHL .. seems we have nothing to talk about.

Its great my Rockets are going for the 3rd straight year .. Its a bit of a shame though that Marty Sagat never made it through so you had a chance to see him ..

Old
05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
richardn

The news of picking up Samuelson does not really excite me at all. I would much rather see guys like Wellwood and Steen be given the chance first. If they wanted to get a Sweed to play with Sundin all they had to do is re-sign Renberg .

Old
05-21-2005, 02:51 AM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
who is he ?
One of the worst players I've ever seen.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
One of the worst players I've ever seen.

Closed Thread