HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halpern deserves a promotion!

Old
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
Halpern deserves a promotion!

10 points even strength thus far and this guy never gets mentioned to be on the top 2 lines. Also our best face off guy. If anything I want to see what he can do on a scoring line with some PP time on a second unit having Gomez demoted to a defensive role.

These are my lines:

Plecs-Kost-Cammy, leave this line alone. They proved to work really well together so do not touch

Halpern-Pouliot-Gionta, yes break up the PHD line by removing Darche and upgrading to Gionta. Let's see what they can do on the PP

Gomez-Moen-Lapierre, this is our 3rd line shut down line. Even though Gomez has not been producing his defensive play is pretty good this season. Yes 8 million for a 3rd line center, but that's the way the cookie crumbled.

Eller-Pyatt-Darche, as a 4th line with limited ice time for now, let's see what they can do

Whatchya guys think???

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Lucius

Not the worst lines ever, I'd try them some day, but I'd leave the PhD line alone. As it is now, it's the third line. That means it gets third line opponents.

Throw Gionta in for Darche and suddenly these three are seeing the other team's shutdown pair.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Stone Cutter

Peter's Principle

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Let's just keep our only working line intact, please.

I'm pretty sure that if you just switch Halpern, he won't be nearly as effective as he is right now. You play him with Gomez and Gionta, he instantly starts facing tougher opposition and he will probably have a harder time putting points up.

I wouldn't be opposed to give him a little PP time though, if only so he can win the first faceoff that we always seem to lose. Would be good to start a PP with the control of the puck, it might actually help us scoring goals.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Jakomyte

If it was up to me, I wouldn't break up lines that work. That includes the first line as well, meaning I'd be running:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pouliot-Halpern-Darche

I'd then try to find some combinations that would work with the remaining players, such as:

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre

I have a feeling once Gomez/Gionta are out of their respective slumps that JM will put them back together.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

I deserve a promotion... Halpern can stay on the line that works.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
Peter's Principle
Exactly. It's not because a lower-tier player is doing well that it's a good idea to promote him to responsabilities he may have trouble handling. Halpern has been a nice surprise but I wouldn't see to much in his stats.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Prendan Brust

Halpern doesn't get the hardest assignements, that's partly why he's producing. I don't think he could keep it up on a consistent basis playing against other teams' 1st or 2nd lines. I say, leave him where he is, he's doing a hell of a job.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
aingaran
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
If it was up to me, I wouldn't break up lines that work. That includes the first line as well, meaning I'd be running:

Pouliot-Halpern-Darche
This! Leave those two lines in tact.

aingaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
there is no "G" in Ph.D.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:58 PM
linp

The two combinations that work up to now are
Plekanec-Kostitsyn and
Halpern-Darche

I thought Gomez with Gionta wasn't that bad. I would keep those combinations together.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
MikeyPeenz

" If it ain't broke don't fix it "

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

he has a regular shift 5vs5, plays on the PK... aside from the PP I dont see what kind of "promotion" he could have...

oh! and he's playing with our "hottest wingers" at the moment...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Maxpac

Piss poor idea to split a line that works.... and was is with the line posting with the center at left and then the wingers?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'd leave Halpern with Pouliot and Darche for another game or two, if they don't score then take Pouliot off.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPeenz View Post
" If it ain't broke don't fix it "
Couldn't have used a better, if not overused quote than this one.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Plekanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
10 points even strength thus far and this guy never gets mentioned to be on the top 2 lines. Also our best face off guy. If anything I want to see what he can do on a scoring line with some PP time on a second unit having Gomez demoted to a defensive role.

These are my lines:

Plecs-Kost-Cammy, leave this line alone. They proved to work really well together so do not touch

Halpern-Pouliot-Gionta, yes break up the PHD line by removing Darche and upgrading to Gionta. Let's see what they can do on the PP

Gomez-Moen-Lapierre, this is our 3rd line shut down line. Even though Gomez has not been producing his defensive play is pretty good this season. Yes 8 million for a 3rd line center, but that's the way the cookie crumbled.

Eller-Pyatt-Darche, as a 4th line with limited ice time for now, let's see what they can do

Whatchya guys think???
Plekanec, Halpern, Gomez, Eller....all playing left wing...are you seriouss?!

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Pouliot-Halpern-Darche

I'd then try to find some combinations that would work with the remaining players, such as:

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre

I have a feeling once Gomez/Gionta are out of their respective slumps that JM will put them back together.
You are hired.

I don't think it will take teams long to figure Darche out, but getting Pouls some help with size/grit seems to be the ticket. If it stops working, I'd slide Moen in there. Not sure what Moen would bring differently to Darche, but what the hell... I'm not paid for my stupid opinions.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

No need for a "promotion" to a "better" line. Just give Ph.D more ice time, that's your "promotion" with out splitting up the line.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post

These are my lines:

Whatchya guys think???

If it was me coaching, I'd leave the lines alone, except give the PHD line 2nd line icetime and give Gomez, Gionta and their winger 3rd line icetime until they get their act together. The PHD line is playing good together and I wouldn't switch them up just yet.

The only Beef I have with Martin right now is that he changes his lines too much. Leave players together and let them build chemistry, just pick which lines get more or less icetime based on their play, not on their contracts.

Cammy - Pleks - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Halpern - Darche
Moen - Gomez - Gionta
Pyatt - Eller - Lapierre

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
No need for a "promotion" to a "better" line. Just give Ph.D more ice time, that's your "promotion" with out splitting up the line.
But then they'd face tougher checking possibly.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:12 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
If it was me coaching, I'd leave the lines alone, except give the PHD line 2nd line icetime and give Gomez, Gionta and their winger 3rd line icetime until they get their act together. The PHD line is playing good together and I wouldn't switch them up just yet.

The only Beef I have with Martin right now is that he changes his lines too much. Leave players together and let them build chemistry, just pick which lines get more or less icetime based on their play, not on their contracts.

Cammy - Pleks - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Halpern - Darche
Moen - Gomez - Gionta
Pyatt - Eller - Lapierre
True, but at the same time, chemistry supposed to be there already. Cammy played with Plek all season (almost) last year, the two G's played together for years, so... it isnt a matter of chemistry, it's (supposed to be) all fine in that department.

Situation is more like : despite chemistry the Gs arent doing anything and despite chemistry with Plek and AK, Cammy isnt scoring. THAT's the problem right there.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
True, but at the same time, chemistry supposed to be there already. Cammy played with Plek all season (almost) last year, the two G's played together for years, so... it isnt a matter of chemistry, it's (supposed to be) all fine in that department.

Situation is more like : despite chemistry the Gs arent doing anything and despite chemistry with Plek and AK, Cammy isnt scoring. THAT's the problem right there.
Gomez has said this a few times before. He thinks Gionta is too predictable and it puts too much pressure on him (at least that's what I take from his joking that Gionta can't make a pass). When these guys aren't moving their feet in the offensive zone, they're useless. But if they don't have any help on the wall, they can get frustrated. I think this might be the deal.

Too predictable.

The only inzone time the Pleks line gets is what Cammy can afford them with his smarts. Otherwise they are strictly counterattack and turnover, though they do run some nice give-and-go between Pleks and Cammy.

Gomez can carry and pass, but is not a shooter. Gionta is all counter and no pass.

Eller is all pass.

And we all know that we lack a couple top 6 size/skill guys. That hurts our possession, obviously.

So, that makes us a counterattack team and puts a lot of pressure on our (old) defense to dig out and quickly move pucks. Except Spacegoat and Hammer and a banged up Markov have not been able to do that and it's too much to ask of Gill/Gorges. Subban has been great imo and is badly needed in the top 4 to bolster our offense. Not sure what they are thinking dropping him with Gill.

Cammalleri is really the only top notch creative guy we have (and our best shooter). Eller has potential, but might just be a passer like Gomez with limited creativity, we'll have to see. Pleks can create a bit and can do it on the fly as well. Otherwise, we have a deficit there as well. Halpern is a nice give-and-go player, but he's not a top 6 guy. Excellent third line center for maybe another year or two, that's it. Otherwise, you're asking too much. Pouliot has nice hands, and is good in tight, but I don't know about making plays... he has some potential maybe?

I think Gionta needs someone a bit more creative on his line who can keep up with him... like Pleks. And they would need some size to dig out pucks.

Cammalleri - Gomez- AK
Eller/Pouls - Plekanec - Gionta
Pouliot - Halpern - Darche (or, whatever is working at the time)
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre

Markov-Subban
Hammergoat
GG

Last edited by tinyzombies: 11-09-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Gomez has said this a few times before. He thinks Gionta is too predictable and it puts too much pressure on him (at least that's what I take from his joking that Gionta can't make a pass). When these guys aren't moving their feet in the offensive zone, they're useless. But if they don't have any help on the wall, they can get frustrated. I think this might be the deal.

Too predictable.

The only inzone time the Pleks line gets is what Cammy can afford them with his smarts. Otherwise they are strictly counterattack and turnover, though they do run some nice give-and-go between Pleks and Cammy.

Gomez can carry and pass, but is not a shooter. Gionta is all counter and no pass.

Eller is all pass.

And we all know that we lack a couple top 6 size/skill guys. That hurts our possession, obviously.

So, that makes us a counterattack team and puts a lot of pressure on our (old) defense to dig out and quickly move pucks. Except Spacegoat and Hammer and a banged up Markov have not been able to do that and it's too much to ask of Gill/Gorges. Subban has been great imo and is badly needed in the top 4 to bolster our offense. Not sure what they are thinking dropping him with Gill.

Cammalleri is really the only top notch creative guy we have (and our best shooter). Eller has potential, but might just be a passer like Gomez with limited creativity, we'll have to see. Pleks can create a bit and can do it on the fly as well. Otherwise, we have a deficit there as well. Halpern is a nice give-and-go player, but he's not a top 6 guy. Excellent third line center for maybe another year or two, that's it. Otherwise, you're asking too much. Pouliot has nice hands, and is good in tight, but I don't know about making plays... he has some potential maybe?

I think Gionta needs someone a bit more creative on his line who can keep up with him... like Pleks. And they would need some size to dig out pucks.

Cammalleri - Gomez- AK
Eller/Pouls - Plekanec - Gionta
Pouliot - Halpern - Darche (or, whatever is working at the time)
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre

Markov-Subban
Hammergoat
GG
OK, Gomez isnt creative enough for Gionta but Gionta is too predictable for Gomez... really ? considering the only productive seasons they had is when they played together... so its definitely not a chemistry issue.

No offense to Camm but when it comes to creativity our top guy is definitely Plekanec (and Markov on D)... Camm is benefiting from playing with Plekanec, not the other way around...

One thing is certain though, playing with Gomez is really hurting AK, the guy is OFF since he've been removed from the Plekanec line.

Old
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:

Pouliot-Halpern-Darche

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre

Agreed. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing, which I'm not sure if we've ever done, is try Gomez on the wing. He's still a pretty strong player who doesn't mind battling for the puck and Eller still has some growing to do. I wouldn't mind seeing Gomez-Eller-Gionta for a few games.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote