HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colaiacovo and Hedin sent down

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Calgary_Moe

vCash: 500
Colaiacovo and Hedin sent down

On their way to The Rock... so it seems.

Just heard it on the FAN590.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:27 AM
wasting time

And Kondriatev is staying?

hmmm. I think he is being dangled.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Epoch

Maybe they'll keep Kondratiev up?

Since they signed Klee it looks like Kondratiev will be sent down,no need for him to be the 7th since Jamie Pushor could fill that role.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:30 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
Maybe they'll keep Kondratiev up?

Since they signed Klee it looks like Kondratiev will be sent down,no need for him to be the 7th since Jamie Pushor could fill that role.

The difference being that they still have to sign Pushor. I'd hold off on that salary commitment until you can see what is available on the trade market.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
The difference being that they still have to sign Pushor. I'd hold off on that salary commitment until you can see what is available on the trade market.
Actually,I think they'll have to send Kondratiev back to Russia since Pilar is coming back...Pushor would make a good 7th d-man anyways.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Boy, who would've thought Kondratiev was the kid who would make the team??

I thought Colaiacovo had a spot locked for sure, or Hedin.

Carlo must be disappointed. He'll make it someday, though.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:43 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

pretty weird
maybe they thought kondratiev would go back to europe

Old
10-06-2003, 06:45 AM
wasting time

Kondriatev and Belak for Markov?

Old
10-06-2003, 06:56 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Kondriatev and Belak for Markov?
OK, That's a really bad trade for Carolina, sorry Canes fans for suggesting it -- but how can you justify Kondriatev staying up? His game was not nearly as good as Coli's in either end of the ice, he is not as strong a passer, makes more mistakes, is not more physical, and not as good a skater? Plus, Coli is a real asset on the PP - Kondri is less so.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:03 AM
wasting time

Quote:
OK, That's a really bad trade for Carolina, sorry Canes fans for suggesting it -- but how can you justify Kondriatev staying up? His game was not nearly as good as Coli's in either end of the ice, he is not as strong a passer, makes more mistakes, is not more physical, and not as good a skater? Plus, Coli is a real asset on the PP - Kondri is less so.
Plus, he was a lower draft pick - which has those political implications.

My theory is that Coli is considered the future key guy, the Leafs know they are very deep on D prospects, and Kondriatev is being featured as part of a package for a top 4 guy now. If they sent him back to Russia he offers much less value in trade fodder.

I have to admit - Bell being sent down in the first cuts was also pretty strange for me. Do you think Bell was being sandbagged to feature Kondriatev? Did you know that of all the prospects entering camp Barry Trapp said that Bell had the greatest liklihood of making the team? how did his stock fall so far after only 1 game in Sweden? He was the CHL Defenman of the year, and had a better year than did Coli (albeit Coli was slightly injured).

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Old
10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Boy, who would've thought Kondratiev was the kid who would make the team??

I thought Colaiacovo had a spot locked for sure, or Hedin.

Carlo must be disappointed. He'll make it someday, though.
But that is the point.. exactly

This is great news for the leafs ...That Kondratiev has made the team, at least until McCabe returns...because we all know that Carlo is going to make the NHL but when a late round draft pick looks like a player that is even better news...IMO

Old
10-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Plus, he was a lower draft pick - which has those political implications.

My theory is that Coli is considered the future key guy, the Leafs know they are very deep on D prospects, and Kondriatev is being featured as part of a package for a top 4 guy now. If they sent him back to Russia he offers much less value in trade fodder.

I have to admit - Bell being sent down in the first cuts was also pretty strange for me. Do you think Bell was being sandbagged to feature Kondriatev? Did you know that of all the prospects entering camp Barry Trapp said that Bell had the greatest liklihood of making the team? how did his stock fall so far after only 1 game in Sweden? He was the CHL Defenman of the year, and had a better year than did Coli (albeit Coli was slightly injured).

Things that make you go hmmmm....
I agree everything you've said.

I also questioned whether Kondratiev was being showcased- maybe part of a package to get a top four guy.

That would explain why he made this team, his value will increase dramatically if he puts in a good month or two in the NHL.

I agree with you regarding Bell as well. He played fairly well when he played, but he wasn't given a chance to make this team. I think your "sandbagged" theory might be an accurate assumption.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Nik#11

Wow, I guess I must have been watching different games than you guys. I thought it was pretty clear that Bell wasn't close to being ready from his first game in Sweden. You can't judge a player by his accomplishments in the OHL. Sure, he had a great season, but that was playing against boys. At the pro level the pace is so much faster, and Bell clearly had problems adjusting to that. Some guys (like Carlo) are so talented they can more or less adjust right away. Bell is not one of those guys.

Colaiacovo vs. Kondratiev isn't quite as black and white, but I thought Max looked more ready in his exhibition play. I thought his positioning and defensive awareness were superior, I thought he was better in transition, I thought his decision making was quicker and more confident, and he added quite a bit offensively which was a very pleasant surprise. He made a few mistakes, but he was good at recovering, and he also learned from them as camp went along.

They are quite close, and Carlo will probably be the better player in the long run. But I think Max's experience playing at the pro level has given him a bit of an edge.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:06 AM
TML_fan_4_life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I agree everything you've said.

I also questioned whether Kondratiev was being showcased- maybe part of a package to get a top four guy.

That would explain why he made this team, his value will increase dramatically if he puts in a good month or two in the NHL.

I agree with you regarding Bell as well. He played fairly well when he played, but he wasn't given a chance to make this team. I think your "sandbagged" theory might be an accurate assumption.

Kondratiev isn't being showcased for a trade. He is staying with the leafs because he has a clause in his contact that allows him to go back to Russia if he spends 30 days in the AHL. Max is an excellent defenseman and I think people should give him a chance.

I believe Kondratiev won the spot from Carlo and one of the main reasons people think that Carlo is better than Max is because Carlo is a popular prospect from Toronto and no body even heard of Max before the summer.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Epoch

I was listening to Bill Watters today and he said "there is going to be a big trade going down".

Old
10-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
I was listening to Bill Watters today and he said "there is going to be a big trade going down".
I'm always nervous when a new GM is in town and he tries to put his own stamp on the team. Sometimes it works, but other times....

Old
10-06-2003, 08:20 AM
A.J.

Jamie Hodson has also been sent down.

and

Jamie Pushor has been released from his pro tryout according to Leafs Lunch.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:35 AM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Well, if Bill Watters says so...

Old
10-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Momentum has been building towards a largish deal for quite some time now.

You don't have to be Smilin' Bill Watters to figure that out.

I'm excited to see what JFJ does with the roster. His first bigger deal could be a doozy.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:09 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Well, if Bill Watters says so...
Watters also said that it looked like the Leafs were going to sign Therien.

By the way, I think this Columbus rumour of Ponikarovsky for Green stuff is crap.

The one thing I would dread is if JF decided to do a deal with St. Louis. Rarely do trades with past teams end up like the Gilmour trade.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:11 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
Jamie Hodson has also been sent down.

and

Jamie Pushor has been released from his pro tryout according to Leafs Lunch.
I'm glad Pushor was not signed (although not for his personal sake) just because it demonstrates to me that a deal IS coming down for a defenseman and Pushor is really clumsy and simple out there. He adds very little value.

Closed Thread