HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Grachev "showcased" (but actually sent back to HFD)

Old
11-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
"Showcased" for what ? Grachev is a 20 yr old work in progress.

Lot of demand for that.

Yeah put him on the ice for four minutes with Boogaard and Stepan that's a showcase no NHL scout can resist.

Nonsense.

Grachev looked good. He didn't look great and he didnt look bad. That's more than I had hoped for after hearing from people who watched him glide through a season in Hartford last year.

His problem while he was here is he didn't look like he wanted the puck for fear of screwing up.

I ask myself this. The Rangers put him in a 4th line checking role. Did he perform his duties without looking out of place ?

The answer is yes.

I'm satisfied and you should be too.
Very well said sir very well said

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
What I saw in Grachev in his brief stint here this season and limited ice time was that he has good speed, has the drive to use it, but doesn't seem to have the confidence or strength in the corners to really succeed the way he's capable of. Hopefully he develops and fills out where he starts producing and gets on a roll. Confidence is huge. We can't forget how young he is..

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Lot of demand for that.

Yeah put him on the ice for four minutes with Boogaard and Stepan that's a showcase no NHL scout can resist.

Nonsense.

Grachev looked good. He didn't look great and he didnt look bad. That's more than I had hoped for after hearing from people who watched him glide through a season in Hartford last year.

His problem while he was here is he didn't look like he wanted the puck for fear of screwing up.

I ask myself this. The Rangers put him in a 4th line checking role. Did he perform his duties without looking out of place ?

The answer is yes.

agreed

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:03 AM
94now

Quote:

Lot of demand for that.
Does that mean he has no trade value? I disagree.

Quote:

Nonsense.
Somehow playing limited time with Boogie still allowed YOU to evaluate him correctly below. I agree with your take on the kid. Thus, NHL pro scout could do the same.

Quote:

The answer is yes.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

were i a casual fan, who knew nothing about grachevs hype and who saw him play twice last season in person- which i did, or a casual fan who watched alot of recent rangers games, or even watched preseason games, i would make the following observation about evgeny grachev.

hes big.
he looks like he can skate.
he doesnt shoot enough.

thats about it.

as i said before, ive seen nothing from him so far to make me think hes going to be anything more than a taller, faster dane byers.

i saw him last year in person and he looked disinterested and uninvolved on most shifts. thats what ive heard about his year in hartford as well. since hes been here, hes been ok. not great, not terrible. i want to see more. i want to see him make a statement so we cant send him down or i want him to be hartfords best player on most nights.

so far, not happening.

then again, hes still got time to change my mind.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Trade him for what? Not for some of the overpriced and underachieving malcontents proposed on these boards. Grachev is in the first season of his 3 year ELC. Last season was a free year. Sliding rule. It's not a Sanguinetti situation where the player is entering the last season of his ELC and is one year away from requiring waivers to be assigned to the AHL. Earlier this morning, I read the Flyers might need to make a move with JVR. This quote by Daniel Briere stuck out.

"I went through exactly the same thing," said center Danny Briere, who bounced around the minors his first four seasons as a pro. "It took me a long time to figure it out. I made the mistake of, when they sent me down, I started pouting and I started looking elsewhere to deflect the blame and that's the worst thing you can do.

"What's important to him is to go back to work on his game.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...n-Van-Riemsdyk
Perspective is a very important, very refreshing thing.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

hes big.
he looks like he can skate.
he doesnt shoot enough.

thats about it.

as i said before, ive seen nothing from him so far to make me think hes going to be anything more than a taller, faster dane byers.

The bigger - the later.

Old
11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
parcsalooc

Korpikoski 2.0

parcsalooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Does that mean he has no trade value? I disagree.

Somehow playing limited time with Boogie still allowed YOU to evaluate him correctly below. I agree with your take on the kid. Thus, NHL pro scout could do the same.
i tihnk the point is that while he does have some trade value, it wouldnt be near maximum

you dont want to trade someone as young as him, with that much potential, for anything below maximum value

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Grachev was rated #21 and #22 overall in the THN Future watch the last 2 years. That ranking is based on input by NHL scouts around the league.

He played at Brampton 2 years ago, along with Hodgson, who was selected 10th overall in 2008, and Duchene, who was at the time being scouted for the 2009 draft, and ended up being selected 3rd overall. So plenty of scouts got to see him.

He was the OHL rookie of the year.

NHL scouts know all about Evgeny Grachev. There is no need, nor anything to gain, by the Rangers "showcasing" him. What exactly are other teams' scouts supposed to learn about him that they don't already know by watching him play 6 minutes a game with Boogaard and Stepan? Do NHL scouts not watch AHL games?

Everyone is looking for some ulterior motive behind him being called up. Maybe he wasn't the most deserving, but maybe he was the best fit based on what Torts was looking for. Weise was injured and MZA doesn't have the size to be effective on the 4th line. Byers or Dupont could have gotten the call, but neither seems to be in the Rangers long term plans. So why not give Grachev a chance and see what he can do?

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy around here.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i tihnk the point is that while he does have some trade value, it wouldnt be near maximum

you dont want to trade someone as young as him, with that much potential, for anything below maximum value
Do we have any other assets to offer? Our barn is empty.
Canadiens gave us McDonah when they wanted Gomez badly, remember?
Souray is a left D we desperate to get, if not for huge contract that comes with it. If Grachev is considered to be a throw in with other contract going back, wouldn't EDM want to see him in MSG rather than at HFD or rely on his junior past? May be Grachev wasn't live enough because he knew he's showcased?

Old
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Do we have any other assets to offer? Our barn is empty.
Canadiens gave us McDonah when they wanted Gomez badly, remember?
Souray is a left D we desperate to get, if not for huge contract that comes with it. If Grachev is considered to be a throw in with other contract going back, wouldn't EDM want to see him in MSG rather than at HFD or rely on his junior past? May be Grachev wasn't live enough because he knew he's showcased?
How do you figure that?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
How do you figure that?
By elimination. Sather wants to keep true blue chips in. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Old
11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
McRanger

Quote:
By elimination. Sather wants to keep true blue chips in. Feel free to prove me wrong.
There is a big difference between not having good prospects and not being willing to trade them.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
We have good prospects, but we really don't have any that will yield solid return outside of Chris Kreider, Stepan(kind of graduated anyway) and McDonagh, IMO

Assuming that MDZ, Cally, Dubi, Stepan, and Anisimov are untouchable, our "barn" is hardly full, albeit not empty either.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
There is a big difference between not having good prospects and not being willing to trade them.
Okay, our how about " Our ready-for-trade barn is empty"?.
We got needs , but no suitable assets to fill it. Grachev could be the one for those who got time to develop big man. Big players are high risk-high reward cases. HJ comes to mind.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
We have good prospects, but we really don't have any that will yield solid return outside of Chris Kreider, Stepan(kind of graduated anyway) and McDonagh, IMO

Assuming that MDZ, Cally, Dubi, Stepan, and Anisimov are untouchable, our "barn" is hardly full, albeit not empty either.
It kind of goes without saying that if we eliminate every highly picked young player that we do not have much to offer, no?

Aside from all those you mentioned I would think McIlrath and Werek especially have trade value.