HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

[Phantoms] Greg Gilbert fired, replaced by John Paddock for now

Old
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Only the Flyers could come out of this without their top forward prospect or their AHL coach. Who are they siding with here, and how much do they just dislike Maroon if this was gonna happen?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:47 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I want to see Maroon getting a 2nd chance.

Gilbert was really bad, evry****ingwhere.
do you men a 3rd or 4th chance? he was already givin a second chance.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Only the Flyers could come out of this without their top forward prospect or their AHL coach. Who are they siding with here, and how much do they just dislike Maroon if this was gonna happen?
Are you implying that the Flyers top forward prospect is a 6th round draft pick that has scored a grand total of 38 goals in 156 AHL games?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
do you men a 3rd or 4th chance? he was already givin a second chance.
He was a fat kid when he was drafted. He worked hard in his 1st and 2nd years, worked on his skating too as well as his conditioning.

I do not remember any other problems he's had in the past. What was it? Remind me?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-09-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I saw Gilbert fired, replaced by John.....was really thinking Stevens for a moment

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So are Maroon, Kalinski and Legein staying then?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So are Maroon, Kalinski and Legein staying then?
Kalinski and Legein seem to be.

Maroon's time is up. He's done.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously.

It really makes you wonder what could've happened with the Maroon issue had Gilbert been taken care of a few weeks back.
I do not think there is any connection there. Otherwise the Flyers organization would have bounced the coach first. Pat screwed the pooch and had to go.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I saw Gilbert fired, replaced by John.....was really thinking Stevens for a moment
Laviolette bought himself, save a ridiculous implosion by the team, a lot of years with the turn around last year. Any coach with NHL experience who wants to be a head coach in the NHL will not come to Flyers to coach the failing Phantoms, John Stevens. Furthermore, with the rumored problems the team has had I just don't see baked goods being a stern enough voice in the locker room

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
He was a fat kid when he was drafted. He worked hard in his 1st and 2nd years, worked on his skating too as well as his conditioning.

I do not remember any other problems he's had in the past. What was it? Remind me?
Shooter said there was a [pattern of behavior they didnt like. He was also talked to last year after the season. About what i have no idea.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:36 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Laviolette bought himself, save a ridiculous implosion by the team, a lot of years with the turn around last year. Any coach with NHL experience who wants to be a head coach in the NHL will not come to Flyers to coach the failing Phantoms, John Stevens. Furthermore, with the rumored problems the team has had I just don't see baked goods being a stern enough voice in the locker room
Disagree, as a guy nhl experience can come in and turn the team around would surely get noticed by nhl teams. It would be a huge feather in his cap. Especially a young guy with < 2 years or so nhl experience.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Well maybe Pither has deserved the bump up by his play in practice and or the last few games. Nah that cant be can it? Couldnít be previously he didnít deserve to be on a top 2 line. Nah the sole reason is he was just being underutilized and was to no fault of his own. Thank God for Nodl and Wellwood.
The problem though, NWO, is that Idiot Stick has a history of putting the run on players. It'd be different if this were a one time thing, but if you go through his coaching history, he has had a terrible relation with top players and prospects. This isn't something that's being made up. This is fact. Go back to his days in Calgary and you'll see that he was responsible for putting the run on Marc Savard. Look at his time as a head coach with the Marlies and look at the way he handled top Leafs prospects like Jiri Tlusty, Justin Pogge and Robbie Earle. Now look at how he handled the Flyers prospects in Adirondack.

I'm not saying Maroon is a saint, but he played very well for a demanding coach in Dale Hunter and Hunter raved about Maroon. So, why is it all of a sudden he's now a distraction and problem? It's because Idiot Stick had no clue on how to run the team and Idiot Stick continued on his path of coaching destruction and Maroon had enough.

I really hope John Paddock does right the ship. He might be a hard liner, but this is a guy who's also good with young players. Maroon could have really used Paddock's guidance and it's a shame the organization won't bring back Pat because he would benefit from Paddock's tutelage.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The problem though, NWO, is that Idiot Stick has a history of putting the run on players. It'd be different if this were a one time thing, but if you go through his coaching history, he has had a terrible relation with top players and prospects. This isn't something that's being made up. This is fact. Go back to his days in Calgary and you'll see that he was responsible for putting the run on Marc Savard. Look at his time as a head coach with the Marlies and look at the way he handled top Leafs prospects like Jiri Tlusty, Justin Pogge and Robbie Earle. Now look at how he handled the Flyers prospects in Adirondack.

I'm not saying Maroon is a saint, but he played very well for a demanding coach in Dale Hunter and Hunter raved about Maroon. So, why is it all of a sudden he's now a distraction and problem? It's because Idiot Stick had no clue on how to run the team and Idiot Stick continued on his path of coaching destruction and Maroon had enough.

I really hope John Paddock does right the ship. He might be a hard liner, but this is a guy who's also good with young players. Maroon could have really used Paddock's guidance and it's a shame the organization won't bring back Pat because he would benefit from Paddock's tutelage.
Thank you for explaining it fully to him, but I doubt he's going to listen at this point.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Thank you for explaining it fully to him, but I doubt he's going to listen at this point.
yea, its like putting out a grease fire with water

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Are you implying that the Flyers top forward prospect is a 6th round draft pick that has scored a grand total of 38 goals in 156 AHL games?
power forward prospects are getting few and far between and gilbert screwed up one with a hell of a lot of potential.

Quote:
Disagree, as a guy nhl experience can come in and turn the team around would surely get noticed by nhl teams. It would be a huge feather in his cap. Especially a young guy with < 2 years or so nhl experience.
its time to shift the way we think about ahl coaching. it should be a guy whos had proven success at the nhl level who can show these guys what its going to take to succeed. if both the coach and the players are looking to move on i think thier interests are going to come into conflict. we need to put a guy down there committed to staying and competing at the ahl level with a mind towards developing talent.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
jb**

Quote:

Again though, it doesnt have to be coach related. He could have very well had off ice issues which have no bearing on the coach at all. What people wont separate or refuse to believe is that maybe St Pat screwed this up all on on his own. People are just looking for an excuse to blame someone other than him. You need to look at more than 1 scenario.

Old
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
No Cliff you dont listen. Could Gilbert have been the sole problem as to why Maroon had issues? Yes he could have but doubt it or he would have been gone first. You refuse to lay blame on Maroon only and are looking for another scapegoat and gilbert is the easy target. You have a 1 track mind and wont look any other possibility as to why he was let go.

Old
11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
yea, its like putting out a grease fire with water
good analogy

Old
11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

Good summary, and, in the absence of anything definite coming out, I think it's fair to say that both Maroon and Gilbert have themselves to blame for where they are at the moment. Maroon's probably 99% gone, though I'd never say never; however, Holmgren would be backpedalling furiously to reopen the door for Maroon to rejoin the franchise. The best we could probably hope for is another club's decent (forward?) prospect, or to package him (Carcillo? Carle?) for a better return.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
No Cliff you dont listen. Could Gilbert have been the sole problem as to why Maroon had issues? Yes he could have but doubt it or he would have been gone first. You refuse to lay blame on Maroon only and are looking for another scapegoat and gilbert is the easy target. You have a 1 track mind and wont look any other possibility as to why he was let go.
You seem to think I refuse to blame Maroon...

When did I say Maroon had no fault in all of this?

You have this serious issue with putting words into my mouth that I never said.

What I have said, and it's something that I continue to remain steadfast about, is that this entire thing could have been avoided if Gilbert had not been the coach. That doesn't mean Maroon didn't make things worse or played no part in it, but when you start to hear that it's not a problem with just one player, then you have to think that there is something going on among the brass. Holmgren should have stepped in LONG before it ever came to this.

These players did not have a history of incidents until Gilbert came.

Gilbert has a history of incidents before he even came here.

Now a player and a coach are gone.

Use your brain to figure out just what might be going on in Adirondack.

We don't know for sure, but even you should be able to guess that it somehow involved Gilbert mishandling prospects.

EDIT: Funny how you mentioned before that Pither might have deserved time on the fourth line as a purely skill player with no physical game or defensive game. As soon as Paddock gets there, Pither is moved back up to a scoring line. It's not rocket science NWO; not rocket science at all.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Shooter said there was a [pattern of behavior they didnt like. He was also talked to last year after the season. About what i have no idea.
How would he know if Greg Gilbert did not decide to share

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I suggest NWO ask the people on the Leafs board who have been around what they think of Gilbert. Dude is a bad guy with serious issues. Everywhere he has gone he has turned players against him which has ultimately gotten him fired. 3 organizations now. that isnt a concidence. that is called a very bad trend. Personally I hope no one makes the mistake of hiring that clown again. hes a bad guy.
Now onto Maroon, no one here knows what was said, or what happened. Its too bad the issues with Gilbert werent taken care of sooner, because maybe, just maybe we could have saved ourselves a good prospect in Pat Maroon. I still believe hes going to be a NHL player. I just hope it isnt with a division rival because you know he will just kill us.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:11 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Again though, it doesnt have to be coach related. He could have very well had off ice issues which have no bearing on the coach at all. What people wont separate or refuse to believe is that maybe St Pat screwed this up all on on his own. People are just looking for an excuse to blame someone other than him. You need to look at more than 1 scenario.
If read what I wrote, you'd see that I'm not absolving Maroon from anything at all. As a professional, he's paid a very nice sum of money to play. If he had issues with the coach and if he tried to resolve the issues with his coach and they weren't taken care of, then he needed to go to Holmgren and address his concerns. Instead, Maroon tried to lead a mutiny, which no matter what, is inexcusable.

However, Idiot Stick the head coach has a documented history of running players out of town that he doesn't like. Whether you want to admit it or not, that's something that can't be ignored. He's been through three different franchises and he's had similar issues with all three franchises. At some point, it becomes more than a "coincidence" that there's a problem.

It's clear that there were some serious issues in the locker room and that a full house cleaning might be expected. Fact is, Idiot Stick has managed to alienate most of, if not, all the team with the way he handled his top scorer. Maroon tried to lead a mutiny against Idiot Stick and was exiled from the team. Finally, Holmgren had to go in and get rid of Idiot Stick because the damage done to the team was just too much.

I'm willing to bet that we see a complete 180 by the team in the upcoming weeks with Paddock behind the helm. And when it does, people will realize that the problem wasn't Pat Maroon, it was Idiot Stick. Maroon acted in a completely unprofessional manner though and he's got to be held accountable for that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:29 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
For a real shocker: Stevens is one of the guys standing behind Drew Doughty and Co., basically leading the western conference.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:15 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
If read what I wrote, you'd see that I'm not absolving Maroon from anything at all. As a professional, he's paid a very nice sum of money to play. If he had issues with the coach and if he tried to resolve the issues with his coach and they weren't taken care of, then he needed to go to Holmgren and address his concerns. Instead, Maroon tried to lead a mutiny, which no matter what, is inexcusable.

However, Idiot Stick the head coach has a documented history of running players out of town that he doesn't like. Whether you want to admit it or not, that's something that can't be ignored. He's been through three different franchises and he's had similar issues with all three franchises. At some point, it becomes more than a "coincidence" that there's a problem.

It's clear that there were some serious issues in the locker room and that a full house cleaning might be expected. Fact is, Idiot Stick has managed to alienate most of, if not, all the team with the way he handled his top scorer. Maroon tried to lead a mutiny against Idiot Stick and was exiled from the team. Finally, Holmgren had to go in and get rid of Idiot Stick because the damage done to the team was just too much.

I'm willing to bet that we see a complete 180 by the team in the upcoming weeks with Paddock behind the helm. And when it does, people will realize that the problem wasn't Pat Maroon, it was Idiot Stick. Maroon acted in a completely unprofessional manner though and he's got to be held accountable for that.
if thats the case then maroon doesnt have an attitude problem he has leadership ability. we definitely need to get him back

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote