HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet for low level play

Old
11-09-2010, 06:58 PM
gustavssonForVezina

vCash: 500
Helmet for low level play

Hi,

For someone playing in a bottom level men's league (no checking), is a RBK 4k helmet good enough? Or should I spend an extra 50 or so dollars.

gustavssonForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
BlackDog13

It's a decent, no frills helmet which will protect your noggin without any of the bells and whistles found on the more expensive models.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
gustavssonForVezina

OK. I just don't want to look too much like a Crosby fanboy

I already have the RBK 4K pumps. This isn't intentional, but they just seem to fit/have what I'm looking for.

By the way, are the 4k pumps good enough for low level men's play? I'm looking to play a couple days a week. Right now I'm skating 4-5 times a week (public skate).

Old
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavssonForVezina View Post
Hi,

For someone playing in a bottom level men's league (no checking), is a RBK 4k helmet good enough? Or should I spend an extra 50 or so dollars.
This is the exact reason why you should have one with a cage IMO. People that can't skate well use their stick as balance when they fall. All it takes is for you to be within stick range and you will be picking wood splinters from where your teeth used to be. Also i have never heard of any mens league that would allow ANYONE to play without a helmet. I play in the Elite league and everyone knows how to skate and play at a high level and people still wear full cages...Like me! Dental insurance coverage sucks! So suck it up and buy a helmet and cage for $65 and save your face!

Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 11-09-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
gustavssonForVezina

Yes, I'm definitely going to get a cage. I just assumed that it's standard for helmets of that price to be able to fit a cage. Is that accurate?

Old
11-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Yes, I'm definitely going to get a cage. I just assumed that it's standard for helmets of that price to be able to fit a cage. Is that accurate?
How tall are you? weight? age?

Old
11-09-2010, 08:02 PM
gustavssonForVezina

Around 5"11, 155 pounds. 19.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Here is one and this is a great price. It comes with a full shield.
http://www.hockeygiant.com/mis1501hlmtcsr.html

Here is a 4k like you said you like with a cage.
http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk074khlmtcmb.html

Old
11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Here is the one i use: This one comes in all sizes and color.
http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau4500hlmtc.html

Old
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
gustavssonForVezina

Would you wear that helmet?

I'm just a bit concerned about skimping on a helmet. Is the increase in safety worth spending 120ish dollars?

I realize that that's a difficult question to answer due to differing values. What do you guys wear?

Old
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Gino 14

Get the best helmet you can for the money you have. Your head is too important to cheap out on. The chances that you will hit your head on the ice is huge, you want the best protection you can get for it. Don't worry about fashion.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Would you wear that helmet?

I'm just a bit concerned about skimping on a helmet. Is the increase in safety worth spending 120ish dollars?

I realize that that's a difficult question to answer due to differing values. What do you guys wear?
I have the Bauer 4500 like i showed in my previous post. I love it! It is light weight and i have taken a puck off the shield as well as my fair share of high sticks!

All helmets have to meet strict safety guidelines to even be released for sale.

Read this:
http://www.hecc.net/prodtest.html

Old
11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
ju87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Get the best helmet you can for the money you have. Your head is too important to cheap out on. The chances that you will hit your head on the ice is huge, you want the best protection you can get for it. Don't worry about fashion.
^^^^ what this guy said

even though you are anticipating low level play without any hitting etc, you never know what can happen out there... you could fall and hit your head, get blindsided running into ppl accidentally, etc

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
gustavssonForVezina

I think I'll go for a 150ish dollar model.

I have another question. Are my RBK 4k Pumps good enough for low level men's league play (protection, and durability wise)?

I didn't want to invest in anything too expensive at the time.

Old
11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
I have the Bauer 4500 like i showed in my previous post. I love it! It is light weight and i have taken a puck off the shield as well as my fair share of high sticks!

All helmets have to meet strict safety guidelines to even be released for sale.

Read this:
http://www.hecc.net/prodtest.html
I play low levle hockey and the 4500 has worked me me so far

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:34 PM
noobman

I just wear the typical entry-level hockey helmet (usually the best fitting one that comes with its own cage attached), but I also bank on getting a new one every five years.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
ju87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
This is the exact reason why you should have one with a cage IMO. People that can't skate well use their stick as balance when they fall. All it takes is for you to be within stick range and you will be picking wood splinters from where your teeth used to be. Also i have never heard of any mens league that would allow ANYONE to play without a helmet. I play in the Elite league and everyone knows how to skate and play at a high level and people still wear full cages...Like me! Dental insurance coverage sucks! So suck it up and buy a helmet and cage for $65 and save your face!
^^^^^ also this

I play low level hockey and I can't count the number of times I've had someone's stick ring off of my cage.

I wear a Mission Intake and before that a Jofa 690 (my fave)

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:02 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
I think I'll go for a 150ish dollar model.

I have another question. Are my RBK 4k Pumps good enough for low level men's league play (protection, and durability wise)?

I didn't want to invest in anything too expensive at the time.
The RBK 4K skates should work out fine for a low level men's league. Eventually over time you will become a better skater and dependent upon the frequency that you play/skate, you may want a skate that is stiffer. Hopefully this helps!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Badger36

Id agree with the others who said to get the best helmet you can afford and to get a cage.
Especially at a lower level where people arent the best skaters and you could likely get taken down by another player who falls or get hit in the face by a stick; Id want the extra protection.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:18 PM
ponder

As long as the helmet fits well, does a more expensive helmet really offer better protection than a cheaper one, or are the more expensive ones just lighter and comfier with more useless open-and-closeable vents and other such gimmicks? I used to play my fair share of competitive, full contact hockey, and I've only ever worn low end helmets, same thing with pretty much all of my teammates. Definitely get a new helmet from a good manufacturer like Bauer, Rbk or CCM, but even the entry level helmets seem plenty protective to me.

Have always worn a full cage though, wouldn't be caught dead with a half visor in an actual game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I just wear the typical entry-level hockey helmet (usually the best fitting one that comes with its own cage attached), but I also bank on getting a new one every five years.
Basically this.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The jury is still out in terms of helmet protection. I personally picked up an M11 because I got a hit to the head and was nervous about concussion, but most people are probably fine with any helmet that fits well. Just make sure it fits without sliding around and without putting pressure on the temples.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Definitely go with a cage. If you don't like a cage, get a shield/cage combo, but always protect your whole face. Neither the rink nor your teammates will pay for your medical/dental bill. This is especially true in lower level leagues where sticks fly all around.

I can't count how many times stray sticks have smacked me in the face during a game.

In terms of helmet, a $50 helmet should definitely do the job.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:57 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
The 4K and 4500 level helmets are perfectly fine for protection. Anything lower end than that level, AVOID. Anything higher than that level, if it fits and you like it go for it.

You SHOULD be willing to spend money on a helmet but there is no real proof that EPP is safer than VN for every type of hit. You'd be better off investing in a custom mouthpiece than buying a top of the line helmet if you're just looking for better protection from concussions, in my opinion.

Most importantly, make sure it fits!

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:06 AM
eastcoasthockey2624

If levels from midget aaa to the NHL wear a 4500 that should give you some insight to if it is a good helmet.

I wear one and wore it when i played midgets, high school, and a season of juniors. I still wear one now when I play beer league puck and pond hockey. Wear it at shinny too.

It should be fine. Cheap and it is protective.

eastcoasthockey2624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The jury is still out in terms of helmet protection. I personally picked up an M11 because I got a hit to the head and was nervous about concussion, but most people are probably fine with any helmet that fits well. Just make sure it fits without sliding around and without putting pressure on the temples.
Yep, I made this mistake with a cheap lid and after about an hour my head was pounding from the pressure. Picked up a higher end Easton and I'm stoked now.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote