Notices

Blow it up

Old
11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Can almost guarantee the majority (as in most, not all) suggesting a full on rebuild never experienced the "young guns" the first time around.
Yup... young guns era was not fun... dome half empty, crap team for 7 long years. On the other hand if it appears the wheels keep coming off just bite the bullet and do ti now rather than living in a fantasy and delay the inevitable with less movable players and make the rebuild longer. I am not saying that a rebuild is the way to go, I just hope things turn around, especially Iginla. There seems to be something with him... God knows what but he has been the invisible man most nights on the ice and score sheet. Spending 7 million for a floating captain sucks big time... For some thinking trading Reggie is the solution well that is nothing short of utter bull ****. Reggie has played great all season.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:36 AM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I am not starting this thread just because the Flames got embarrassed yet again last night. But realistically, although this team is capable of being very good at times, it is still an unknown if they will make the playoffs due in large part to their inconsistency that they continuously show.

If at the trade deadline this team is out of a playoff spot should they blow it up? There have been rumors that LA is interested in Iginla. At the trade deadline players value are at all time highs. Realistically, Calgary could trade Iginla to a team like the Kings and get Brayden Schenn in return and a 1st rounder. Regehr could be dealt to aquire another 1st rounder. That would give the Flames 3 first round picks in next years draft and they could aquire a player like Schenn and possibly more if Regehr was dealt. It would also free up 11 million in salary which would allow the Flames to sign a couple of quality FA's. The team could keep Bouwmeester, Gio, Bourque and Backlund while adding some significant blue chip prospects to build around. In 2-3 years this team would be challenging for the playoffs again and possibly more. If we are out of a playoff spot come deadline time, should the Flames go out and make this move? I would actually be happy to see Iggy have a legimate shot at winning a cup because the chances of him winning one in Calgary are very slim.
While I agree that the Flames should trade Iginla and Regehr (and possibly others) at the deadline if they are out of the playoff picture, I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of value for them. Sure the Flames could get a first rounder for Iginla....but Schenn on top of that...don't think so. Maybe another prospect or younger player but not as highly touted.

YOu have to remember this is an aging power forward whose best days are behind him and he will be making $7 million/year for another 2 years. Power forwards' production tends to slip at a younger age compared to other players. Last year was a sign of things to come... 32 goals and 69 points. I think his production will be around the 30-35 goal mark, 65-70 points mark. He is not an elite player anymore despite what people may think. It's pretty improbable that LA would give up a first rounder plus another former first rounder to get him.

AS for Regehr, he might get a first rounder provided the team trading for him is in a position to draft low in the first round. For a physical stay-at-home defenseman who brings little offense, and is on the wrong side of 30 he certainly doesn't warrant anymore than that. I could also see him going for a high second rounder and maybe a throw-in fourth liner.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote