HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I like this trend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2010, 09:31 PM
  #1
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,248
vCash: 500
I like this trend

Yeah, it's still early in the season, but I like not only the wins of late for the Flyers, but the losses piling up for the other teams in the division.

Team GP W L OT PTS
Philadelphia 15 9 4 2 20
NY Rangers 14 7 6 1 15
Pittsburgh 15 7 7 1 15
NY Islanders 14 4 8 2 10
New Jersey 15 4 10 1 9

Rangers dropped another tonight. It's good to put some points in the bank early on.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:33 PM
  #2
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Yea, I love seeing the Rangers, Devils, and Pens losing.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:37 PM
  #3
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,248
vCash: 500
I think what we all hoped to see with Laviolette behind the bench is a consistent effort through the season. The team isn't there, but took a big step forward with the last streak.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
  #4
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I think what we all hoped to see with Laviolette behind the bench is a consistent effort through the season. The team isn't there, but took a big step forward with the last streak.
You can't get more consistent than 6-0-1 with a team +13 over that timeframe.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM
  #5
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You can't get more consistent than 6-0-1 with a team +13 over that timeframe.
Absolutely, Chris. What I meant specifically was 60-minute efforts. The Flyers have looked dominant for whole periods, but had some drop offs, like against the Islanders. We know this team is good enough to roll over most teams in this league.

As well, I'm hoping to see the team shake the mindset of lining up at their own blueline for the last 10 minutes of a 1-goal game.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
  #6
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Winning is a great trend!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
  #7
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,396
vCash: 500
It's great and all, but I don't expect the other teams to keep doing so badly. The Rags and Isles, sure, but the Devs are going to be open to a bounce-back for a while and the Pens are easily a playoff team with Staal back and Fleury not being a complete sieve.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
  #8
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Absolutely, Chris. What I meant specifically was 60-minute efforts. The Flyers have looked dominant for whole periods, but had some drop offs, like against the Islanders. We know this team is good enough to roll over most teams in this league.

As well, I'm hoping to see the team shake the mindset of lining up at their own blueline for the last 10 minutes of a 1-goal game.
I agree, but as long as we don't collapse in the 3rd, that's been our problem for years now. Instead, it seems like we're starting slower, and then jumping all over teams in the 2nd and some of the 3rd, and then playing excellent defense to hold off any charge.

Granted, i didn't see the Caps game, I understand we controlled early and then maybe tapered off...

Edit: Also, I consider the Rangers to be overachievers at this point, with 3 of their top scorers out. Although that may have brought the team together, and the 3 of them returning may derail any built up chemistry. They're off to a hot start considering the circumstances. Plus, the Flyers are always due for one awful cold streak during the season. Let's hope Lavi is good at curbing them to a minimum.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:41 PM
  #9
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's great and all, but I don't expect the other teams to keep doing so badly. The Rags and Isles, sure, but the Devs are going to be open to a bounce-back for a while and the Pens are easily a playoff team with Staal back and Fleury not being a complete sieve.
That's my point, GG. When the surge comes from teams like the Penguins or even the Devils, the Flyers will have some points in the books, rather than middling around for the season and having to eke out a playoff spot.

Like I said originally, it's still way early in the season, though 2 more games will mean 1/5 has been played. Going down to a shootout on game 82 sure underlined the importance of picking up points throughout the season.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
  #10
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Yeah, it's still early in the season, but I like not only the wins of late for the Flyers, but the losses piling up for the other teams in the division.

Team GP W L OT PTS
Philadelphia 15 9 4 2 20
NY Rangers 14 7 6 1 15
Pittsburgh 15 7 7 1 15
NY Islanders 14 4 8 2 10
New Jersey 15 4 10 1 9

Rangers dropped another tonight. It's good to put some points in the bank early on.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:44 AM
  #11
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That's my point, GG. When the surge comes from teams like the Penguins or even the Devils, the Flyers will have some points in the books, rather than middling around for the season and having to eke out a playoff spot.

Like I said originally, it's still way early in the season, though 2 more games will mean 1/5 has been played. Going down to a shootout on game 82 sure underlined the importance of picking up points throughout the season.
Oh, I totally agree. Points gained in October are just as valuable as ones in March, even if the ones in March have a bit more "urgency" attached to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
No matter how bad a team does, they can always say "hey, at least we're not the Leafs".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:36 AM
  #12
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
The Mickey Mouse days have returned


Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
No matter how bad a team does, they can always say "hey, at least we're not the Leafs".
But that's the fun part: They are actually worse than the Leafs.
The Leafs have 13 points from 14 games with -7 goal differential. They Devs have 9 from 15 with a -23 goal differential. The only thing that the Devs are better is that they have been shut out less times. The Leafs also have scored more goals and given up less than the Devils.

Granted though, the Leafs owe much of these circumstances to their early surge of winning the 1st four games of the season.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:34 AM
  #13
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Granted though, the Leafs owe much of these circumstances to their early surge of winning the 1st four games of the season.
Things are back to normal in Toronto. From a great opening streak to 'how long will Wilson's job last' mania in a month...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:28 AM
  #14
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Yeah, it's still early in the season, but I like not only the wins of late for the Flyers, but the losses piling up for the other teams in the division.

Team GP W L OT PTS
Philadelphia 15 9 4 2 20
NY Rangers 14 7 6 1 15
Pittsburgh 15 7 7 1 15
NY Islanders 14 4 8 2 10
New Jersey 15 4 10 1 9

Rangers dropped another tonight. It's good to put some points in the bank early on.
At least they got Kovalchuk!

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:58 AM
  #15
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,677
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I really like seeing the Devils at the bottom there. It's easy to be a Devils fan when they win the division every year, but let's see how many "fans" remain in April when they are still in last place.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:05 AM
  #16
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I really like seeing the Devils at the bottom there. It's easy to be a Devils fan when they win the division every year, but let's see how many "fans" remain in April when they are still in last place.
The Devils have fans?




Sorry, too easy.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:30 AM
  #17
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
The one thing I want to see more of when they have a lead in the 3rd period. Don’t go into this play to lose defense. Don’t sit back and protect the lead. Keep the pressure on the other team. When they do that they are almost unbeatable in the 3rd with a lead.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
  #18
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,092
vCash: 500
It's important for them to rack up wins and points, because later in the season it's likely they'll lose some of the gusto and sharpness when the rigors of last year's playoff run kick in.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
  #19
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,677
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
The Devils have fans?




Sorry, too easy.
Haha. The Devils do have fans, but it seems like the only thing they can remember are the Cups they won ten years ago. Which is what I am sure they will bring up when they miss the playoffs this year.

Flyers fan at the end of the season: "Oh, man, the Devils suck this year. They are in last place."

Devils fan's response: "Whatever, we have Martin Brodeur and won a Cup in 2003."

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
  #20
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
But that's the fun part: They are actually worse than the Leafs.
The Leafs have 13 points from 14 games with -7 goal differential. They Devs have 9 from 15 with a -23 goal differential. The only thing that the Devs are better is that they have been shut out less times. The Leafs also have scored more goals and given up less than the Devils.

Granted though, the Leafs owe much of these circumstances to their early surge of winning the 1st four games of the season.
Yeah, their record is definitely worse. If you're a Devils fan though at least you have players on your team that will be worth watching and you have a 1st round pick to reward your potential suckiness.

The Leafs have nobody besides Kessel and maybe Gustavsson that are anything special and they've given their division rival Rask, Jared Knight, Seguin, and another 1st round pick and pretty much all they have to show for all of that is Kessel. They can't even suck right.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
  #21
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Yep, its sick. But I still would like our division to kick other team's ***** for a little bit because being in the best division is awesome. But still several points behind us...and always losing to us.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
  #22
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, their record is definitely worse. If you're a Devils fan though at least you have players on your team that will be worth watching and you have a 1st round pick to reward your potential suckiness.

The Leafs have nobody besides Kessel and maybe Gustavsson that are anything special and they've given their division rival Rask, Jared Knight, Seguin, and another 1st round pick and pretty much all they have to show for all of that is Kessel. They can't even suck right.
While I think Giguere is over the hill, I think he still has a few good years left. He's still a pretty good goaltender, if the Leafs were able to score some goals for him. But yeah, the Leafs are a thin team talent-wise.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
  #23
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
While I think Giguere is over the hill, I think he still has a few good years left. He's still a pretty good goaltender, if the Leafs were able to score some goals for him. But yeah, the Leafs are a thin team talent-wise.
They don't have a 1st round pick so they may as well try to win as much as possible but the worst thing for a horrible team to have is a competent goaltender. Giggy will drag them towards mediocrity.

In the NHL, assuming you have your picks, it's great to be great and it's great to be bad... but mediocrity means years of struggle.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
  #24
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, their record is definitely worse. If you're a Devils fan though at least you have players on your team that will be worth watching and you have a 1st round pick to reward your potential suckiness.

The Leafs have nobody besides Kessel and maybe Gustavsson that are anything special and they've given their division rival Rask, Jared Knight, Seguin, and another 1st round pick and pretty much all they have to show for all of that is Kessel. They can't even suck right.
At least Kessel is on my fantasy team.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
  #25
flyguys86
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Is it me, or does this season with the Devils remind you of the Flyers' disastrous '06-07 start? Everyone thought, they can't be THIS bad... but as we all know they were.

flyguys86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.