HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Attendance in AHL

Old
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
The Hutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWolves1 View Post
I noticed the 2 gamers back-to-back and figured it was a cost saving method. How does a 2 gamer like that affect attendance, with the same teams playing like that? I would think seeing the same team once is enough. Two in two or three nights may be too much.
Attendance will stay either roughly the same, or there may be a bit of a flux. I've only been to Friday/Saturday sets, so I can't comment on the weekdays. Personally, I like the atmosphere of playing two. As a consumer, I've found myself sold on the second night by how heated (Pun intended) the action got on the first night.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:01 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Let's face it, you really don't know what kind of an AHL club you have going into the playoffs till after the trade deadline. Although salary caps have made things a little harder you never know if your parent club might pull a 3 for 1 deal or what have you.
When is the trade deadline for the AHL?

Also, has the AHL said where the 2012 all-star game will be hosted?

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Let's face it, you really don't know what kind of an AHL club you have going into the playoffs till after the trade deadline. Although salary caps have made things a little harder you never know if your parent club might pull a 3 for 1 deal or what have you.
I'd argue you don't what kind of team you'll have until after the Major Junior season is over. Look at all the players that come in from Juniors and had significant impacts on the playoffs like Carey Price, PK Subban, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc. Without any of those guys I named, the Wolves either advance to the finals or win it all depending on the year.

11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
When is the trade deadline for the AHL?

Also, has the AHL said where the 2012 all-star game will be hosted?
Reffering more to the NHL trade deadline since the parent club makes most of the personal decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I'd argue you don't what kind of team you'll have until after the Major Junior season is over. Look at all the players that come in from Juniors and had significant impacts on the playoffs like Carey Price, PK Subban, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc. Without any of those guys I named, the Wolves either advance to the finals or win it all depending on the year.
That can play into it too. My point being an AHL club can start off the season 15-0-0-0, but that doesn't really have much bearing on whether or not they will ein the Calder Cup. Your roster in November/ December can be drastically different then your roster come playoff time.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Three out of four ain't bad. Subban never came in at the end of a season.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Who would have thought that in the beginning of November that Springfield would be ranked higher in attendance than Rochester?

Any idea of what is going on in Bingo? Is this a sign that the Bingo faithful want Ottawa out of town?

Can't say that I'm surprised that the new Albany Devils are near the bottom (down nearly a 1000 from last season).

I know it's early, but it's a bit surprising to see WB/S and Chicago drawing under 6000 per game.
Binghamton's attendance doesn't usually get better till after the yearly Thanksgiving day game.

Also we haven't made the playoffs since the lockout year when we EPIC CHOKED... (Common.. we had Spezza and half the ottawa senators)

Back then however it was crazy in Binghamton. What Binghamton really needs is a competitive team and a playoff run. This year could be the year..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Three out of four ain't bad. Subban never came in at the end of a season.
My bad. Working off memory, that wasn't terrible.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Here are the attendance numbers for the first few AHL games in Charlotte:

10/15/10 vs. W-B: 12,512*
10/17/10 vs. W-B: 3,717
11/2/10 vs. POR: 3,417
11/3/10 vs. POR: 3,689
11/5/10 vs. NOR: 6,164
11/7/10 vs. HER: 5,644

Average: 5,857 (6th)
* largest crowd for hockey in Charlotte

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Here are the attendance numbers for the first few AHL games in Charlotte:

10/15/10 vs. W-B: 12,512*
10/17/10 vs. W-B: 3,717
11/2/10 vs. POR: 3,417
11/3/10 vs. POR: 3,689
11/5/10 vs. NOR: 6,164
11/7/10 vs. HER: 5,644

Average: 5,857 (6th)
* largest crowd for hockey in Charlotte
Currently ranked 6th in the league. Certainly a good start to the AHL in Charlotte (one of my favorite cities to visit).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Currently ranked 6th in the league. Certainly a good start to the AHL in Charlotte (one of my favorite cities to visit).
Those are very healthy numbers so far.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Those are very healthy numbers so far.
Healthy, but how honest?

By that I mean how many tickets were actually purchsed?

Old
11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Healthy, but how honest?

By that I mean how many tickets were actually purchsed?
That's a problem for most of the league. I think a good chunk of the league gives away a ton of tickets.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:46 PM
HullToSelanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
That's a problem for most of the league. I think a good chunk of the league gives away a ton of tickets.
Not here with the Moose. Though I'm pretty sure everyone in the province hates the curtain blocking the upper deck of MTSC. And that's only there for demand~

HullToSelanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:25 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I think you are exaggerating when you make the claim that a "good chunk of the league gives away a ton of tickets". Do you have anything factual to back up such a claim?

However, why do you say it's a "problem"? If a team is willing to give away seats in exchange for fannies in the stands who may buy a hat, shirt, jersey, beer, hot dogs, etc that may ultimately become paying customers what's wrong with that?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I think you are exaggerating when you make the claim that a "good chunk of the league gives away a ton of tickets". Do you have anything factual to back up such a claim?

However, why do you say it's a "problem"? If a team is willing to give away seats in exchange for fannies in the stands who may buy a hat, shirt, jersey, beer, hot dogs, etc that may ultimately become paying customers what's wrong with that?
Yes I have heard from upper management in Rochester who said pretty much, "attendance figures in the AHL are a joke, most aren't even close to real". So take that for what it's worth.

It can cause problems, like it did in Rochester. Rochester gave out over 2,000 freebies a game. Fans got used to free tickets and it devalued the worth of an actual ticket. So when new ownership came in and got rid of the comps, it was very difficult to get people to actually buy tickets again since so many were getting in for free regularly.

I do agree to an extent that it can work, especially if you get a cut on concessions.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Yes I have heard from upper management in Rochester who said pretty much, "attendance figures in the AHL are a joke, most aren't even close to real". So take that for what it's worth.

It can cause problems, like it did in Rochester. Rochester gave out over 2,000 freebies a game. Fans got used to free tickets and it devalued the worth of an actual ticket. So when new ownership came in and got rid of the comps, it was very difficult to get people to actually buy tickets again since so many were getting in for free regularly.

I do agree to an extent that it can work, especially if you get a cut on concessions.
Heard the same thing from high up individuals in Hamilton too.

A few seasons ago a city returned to the league with about a 2,500 fans per game increase...... I was told that team lead the league in freebees that year.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

The AHL as a whole needs to figure out a way to stop the bleeding.....

05/06 5,488 per gam average league wide
06/07 5,472
07/08 5,270
08/09 5,115
09/10 5,100
10/11 4,516... now a lot of teams increase after Christmas so this number will increase.

I know there was a link around here to an sports attandance site that will show the AHL has been declining for about the last 10 years now, except for the NHL lockout year.

Old
11-09-2010, 09:45 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
The AHL as a whole needs to figure out a way to stop the bleeding.....

05/06 5,488 per gam average league wide
06/07 5,472
07/08 5,270
08/09 5,115
09/10 5,100
10/11 4,516... now a lot of teams increase after Christmas so this number will increase.

I know there was a link around here to an sports attandance site that will show the AHL has been declining for about the last 10 years now, except for the NHL lockout year.
The question is what can be done about it. I think we all agree it is a very good product, but it is not marketed well. I stumbled upon it after living 15 minutes from the Wolves for 10 years. Not one friend mentioned it, not family, no ads, nothing. I was on the website of the Allstate Arena and saw the Wolves logo, which led me to check out what kind of league it was, etc, which ultimately led to me getting partial season tickets. I love it but I tell my friends and they look at me with a raised eyebrow.

Chicago is, like many other cities, a great sports town. It follows college sports really well, as it does the pros. The AHL falls through the cracks for the most part. There are die hards (I would put myself in there), plus hard marketing to kid's groups like youth hockey and boy scouts. Their Marketing Director told me it is tough, and that the Hawks resurgence has hurt them over the past few years as well.

They need to spend money to make money. There should be more of an effort to market not just the team, but the league. Easy to get tickets, good seats, affordable, high level competition--it has for the most part what you need to gain fan interest.

Old
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Heard the same thing from high up individuals in Hamilton too.

A few seasons ago a city returned to the league with about a 2,500 fans per game increase...... I was told that team lead the league in freebees that year.
Does that come from the "super secret AHL paid attendance" website that someone who is a friend of someone's brother told you that he saw?

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
Does that come from the "super secret AHL paid attendance" website that someone who is a friend of someone's brother told you that he saw?
Yes.... clearly that's where it came from. If you don't want to believe it, hey that's your right, but I can tell you I've been around the Bulldogs management people enough to know a think or two about how things operate.

And, yes, AHL execs have access to much more information than you or I do... but I'm sure you don't believe that either.

Old
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Just another fun little bit of info for my friend who apparently doesn't believe that teams give away large quantities of tickets. The Bulldogs averaged 5,793 fans per game in 04/05. In 05/06 they dropped down to 5,120 but did better financially. That's because they decided to stop giving or practically given away up 1,000 tickets per game.

Same sort of thing Rochester has started doing according to sabrefan27....... oh, but don't worry if you want to believe that I made that up too, feel free it's your choice.

Old
11-10-2010, 09:39 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Just another fun little bit of info for my friend who apparently doesn't believe that teams give away large quantities of tickets. The Bulldogs averaged 5,793 fans per game in 04/05. In 05/06 they dropped down to 5,120 but did better financially. That's because they decided to stop giving or practically given away up 1,000 tickets per game.

Same sort of thing Rochester has started doing according to sabrefan27....... oh, but don't worry if you want to believe that I made that up too, feel free it's your choice.
Yes, that's why Rochester had about a 2500 drop in average attendance from 07-08 to 08-09. They stopped giving tickets away. The Amerks numbers currently are probably the most accurate in the league, or at least up there. I've talked to some ushers who said a few years ago about 40% of tickets they scanned were comped. Now? They may see a handful every night. Rochester's numbers are low, but they are legit and I'd bet there actual ticket revenue is much higher than where their average attendance is.

Old
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
The Hutch

Oh god, I can only imagine if the Heat numbers were exaggerated...

And speaking of attendance, good thing that the set of games versus the Moose is coming up in a couple of weeks. Those sellouts will help boost our average...

Old
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Yes, that's why Rochester had about a 2500 drop in average attendance from 07-08 to 08-09. They stopped giving tickets away. The Amerks numbers currently are probably the most accurate in the league, or at least up there. I've talked to some ushers who said a few years ago about 40% of tickets they scanned were comped. Now? They may see a handful every night. Rochester's numbers are low, but they are legit and I'd bet there actual ticket revenue is much higher than where their average attendance is.
I have never heard of such a thing as giving substantial amounts of tickets away. I believe what you are saying, it is just that it makes no sense from a business perspective. If the league sees time and again that it is not helping to boost actual ticket sales, then why do they continue to do it? If the team or product is not good or popular enough to draw actual paying fans, then there is something really wrong here. Maybe it is the team in question. Maybe it is the poor marketing of the league itself.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
The Hutch

While it probably wouldn't account for such a high volume, I can say that my work was given two pairs of comped tickets for advertising the Heat. If a franchise does that for every store/company that agrees to distribute the team's pocket schedules, it can certainly add up.

Not saying it would be 2G's worth, but it's a factor for sure.