HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the NYI did to improve their attack: nothing

Old
11-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Isles Shawn

vCash: 500
What the NYI did to improve their attack: nothing

Botta writes how we have all felt about the offseason. 100% agree with him.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...fense-nothing/

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Isles Junkie

it's pathetic how awful this team is at even strength.

I've been full on board with this rebuild, but the 1 area where the franchise has really missed the boat is veteran scoring. It is not fair to put all of the pressure on Tavares, Bailey, Okposo & i suppose Comeau.

I just fear that it's only a matter of time before the power play starts to suck also. And when that happens, the Isles won't even be able to remain competitive on a game by game basis.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

The injuries really hampered the team. I'm sure if we had Okposo and Streit healthy all season the team would be much better at even strength.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
The injuries really hampered the team. I'm sure if we had Okposo and Streit healthy all season the team would be much better at even strength.
first off.. cool avatar.. Secondly... getting "better" still doesnt make us good, and nothing really changes regarding what Botta is writing.

Im disappointed in Botta --- Being as close as he was and is to the Isles this should not be a surprise. This is no worthy of a seperate article from him. There is NO WAY they are going to sign anyone to a monster contract. They arent going to pay good money to get an established star. They ARENT going to upgrade their offense with anyone substantial.

Ive said this before and now Im forced to use bold, italics, and everything else HF boards gives us.

WANG ISNT GOING TO SIGN ANY BIG NAME, BIG MONEY PLAYERS UNTIL THE LIGHTHOUSE PROJECT IS DONE.

At this point, he doesnt know if he is keeping the isles in nassau, or moving them, selling them, or whatever else is possible. Why would he ADD to his financial loses every year when he doesnt know about the future for him and this team?

Its the equivalent of upgrading you kitchen in a house when you might be moving in a few years. (and you have a house in roosevelt, so you arent making any money on the sale )

and when I say "done", I mean decided, not necessarily keeping the team in Nassau.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
"Much" better?

Disagree. I'm willing to bet we'd be exactly the same, with a few less goals given up ES.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Hip Of Rick

Our most knowledgeable source just called Snow out for being a terrible GM

Snow Must Go!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
first off.. cool avatar.. Secondly... getting "better" still doesnt make us good, and nothing really changes regarding what Botta is writing.

Im disappointed in Botta --- Being as close as he was and is to the Isles this should not be a surprise. This is no worthy of a seperate article from him. There is NO WAY they are going to sign anyone to a monster contract. They arent going to pay good money to get an established star. They ARENT going to upgrade their offense with anyone substantial.

Ive said this before and now Im forced to use bold, italics, and everything else HF boards gives us.

WANG ISNT GOING TO SIGN ANY BIG NAME, BIG MONEY PLAYERS UNTIL THE LIGHTHOUSE PROJECT IS DONE.

At this point, he doesnt know if he is keeping the isles in nassau, or moving them, selling them, or whatever else is possible. Why would he ADD to his financial loses every year when he doesnt know about the future for him and this team?

Its the equivalent of upgrading you kitchen in a house when you might be moving in a few years. (and you have a house in roosevelt, so you arent making any money on the sale )

and when I say "done", I mean decided, not necessarily keeping the team in Nassau.
Wait, you're disappointed in Botta for pointing out this out because you think he hasn't already? All summer, in a subtle fashion, he has. Plus everyone knew they truly didn't do a thing. If anything, he's put his arse on the line with snow with this article and further proven he's willing to go against the grain. I think it's great he's pointing out the problems 5 on 5. It shows where garth truly dropped the ball, or was forced to not pick it up by wang.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Our most knowledgeable source just called Snow out for being a terrible GM

Snow Must Go!
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...eam-toughness/

Quote:
Garth Snow is not going anywhere for a long, long time, so understand that now

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
Reading between the lines it looks like Botta is sick of Snow. Saying he will be here a long time is different than saying he should be here a long time.

Snow Must Go!

Old
11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Reading between the lines it looks like Botta is sick of Snow. Saying he will be here a long time is different than saying he should be here a long time.

Snow Must Go!
he's "sick" of him because snow doesn't like him and doesn't give him interviews

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
he's "sick" of him because snow doesn't like him and doesn't give him interviews
Another marking of a bad GM, he won't respond to one of the 2 media sources that follow the Isles.

Old
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Brunomics

Wiz at -12 and Motteau at -11 startled me at first but then I remembered those two games where DP let in 6 and 7 goals so that pretty much went out the window.

I know 5 on 5 sucks but I'd like to see +/- sepearted to DP and Rolie starts to see the difference.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Another marking of a bad GM, he won't respond to one of the 2 media sources that follow the Isles.
That's cause he won't get called out in the papers here for it CoughKatieStrangCough

Why talk to Botta when you got Strang serving up the fluff.

Old
11-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Satan'sIsland81

What a lot of Snow supporters seem to be missing is that talent does not have to be picked up only through FA, especially when those top guys supposedly dont want to sign here. As I have said before, and this is no exaggeration, look it up, the only trade Snow has made for an actual NHL players (not draft picks) since the Smyth trade is the one for Wiz.
Please explain to me how Tampa Bay was able to get Simon Gagne (we could not offer more than Matt Walker and a 4th pick? and this is just an example, I am not saying Philly would have trade him to us). How did Toronto get Kris Versteeg, how did Atlanta get Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd, and there are plenty of other examples. Any one of these guys would look better in our lineup than half of the guys there.
I am sorry but Snow supporters have no backing for their case... the team has been bottom 5 for 4 straight years, maybe 2 of these supposed wonderful prospects has come to close to proving anything yet and the GM has not come close to doing what he can to make this a better team.
At what point do we stop hearing every single year that the excuses are over, no more rebuilding talk, we expect to make the playoffs.... and actually see it HAPPEN.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
so we have a bad, meddling owner
bad PR
bad GM
bad coach
bad players
bad arena
bad media coverage
no chief scout

and only the NDJ have fewer points than us.
only adirondack has fewer points than BP.

things can only get better from here.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Yep, Snow does not like Botta speaking the truth. Just shows you that Snow is not a professional.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
DoggyOnDown

I dont understand why this is a surprise to anyone. In the history of this Franchise we have only ever targeted second tier talent. This year it was more like tier 3. When have we ever signed someone who wasnt either tier 2 or a tier 1 guy way past his prime? And for those who will reply with the signing of Mark Streit ... he turn out to be a tier 1 guy he was not considered that at the time having little NHL experience. This team will never sign the big name guy so stop asking Santa for something he wont bring.

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Ding ding ding! All this preview is is Botta being a complete whiny ***** crying because Snow wouldn't give him a ****ing interview. Articles like this are why Botta should no longer be looked at as a good source of information for the Isles.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
What a lot of Snow supporters seem to be missing is that talent does not have to be picked up only through FA, especially when those top guys supposedly dont want to sign here. As I have said before, and this is no exaggeration, look it up, the only trade Snow has made for an actual NHL players (not draft picks) since the Smyth trade is the one for Wiz.
Please explain to me how Tampa Bay was able to get Simon Gagne (we could not offer more than Matt Walker and a 4th pick? and this is just an example, I am not saying Philly would have trade him to us). How did Toronto get Kris Versteeg, how did Atlanta get Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd, and there are plenty of other examples. Any one of these guys would look better in our lineup than half of the guys there.
I am sorry but Snow supporters have no backing for their case... the team has been bottom 5 for 4 straight years, maybe 2 of these supposed wonderful prospects has come to close to proving anything yet and the GM has not come close to doing what he can to make this a better team.
At what point do we stop hearing every single year that the excuses are over, no more rebuilding talk, we expect to make the playoffs.... and actually see it HAPPEN.
You're seriously asking why he couldn't get Gagne, Versteeg, Byflugien or Ladd? They make too much money for wang to spend:

gagne: 5.25 million
Versteeg: 3 million over 3 years
Byflugien: 3 million over 3 years
Ladd: 2.4 million

Chuckles is cheap.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Wiz at -12 and Motteau at -11 startled me at first but then I remembered those two games where DP let in 6 and 7 goals so that pretty much went out the window.

I know 5 on 5 sucks but I'd like to see +/- sepearted to DP and Rolie starts to see the difference.
With Roloson in nets:
Mottau -3
Wisniewski -5

With DiPietro in nets:
Mottau -8
Wisniewski -7

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
With Roloson in nets:
Mottau -3
Wisniewski -5

With DiPietro in nets:
Mottau -8
Wisniewski -7
Thanks Sidney! Guess it doesn't really tell me as much as I thought it would I was expecting a bigger discrepancy between the two even though they both have basically the same amount of minutes played(10 minute differential).

Old
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
With Roloson in nets:
Mottau -3
Wisniewski -5

With DiPietro in nets:
Mottau -8
Wisniewski -7
Sid you really know every stat about everything

Much appreciated on these boards!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
Quote:
Sid you really know every stat about everything

Much appreciated on these boards!
I was actually on Yahoo anyway to check on my fantasy hockey team and to see who I should pick up from the free agent list.

So checking out those stats was only a click away.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Ding ding ding! All this preview is is Botta being a complete whiny ***** crying because Snow wouldn't give him a ****ing interview. Articles like this are why Botta should no longer be looked at as a good source of information for the Isles.
Botta is the only source of constant, in depth, information for the Islanders.

He is 100% right in what he wrote, regardless of why he wrote it.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I was actually on Yahoo anyway to check on my fantasy hockey team and to see who I should pick up from the free agent list.

So checking out those stats was only a click away.
I call BS.

You're looking up players for fantasy hockey and were on an ISLANDER LINK?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote