HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What the NYI did to improve their attack: nothing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
  #26
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Botta is the only source of constant, in depth, information for the Islanders.

He is 100% right in what he wrote, regardless of why he wrote it.
Who cares if he is the only good source of info? With how big of a vindictive ******* he has become since the Isles stopped sponsoring the blog he has become insufferable. And hackey articles like this are proof of that.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
  #27
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,678
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I call BS.

You're looking up players for fantasy hockey and were on an ISLANDER LINK?

Oddly enough, it's true!

My goalies currently are Tuuka Rask, Semyon Varlamov, Giguere and Elliott. Thomas is hot, so Rask never starts. Varlamov's on the IR, and since my league requires a 3-min games played or else you forfeit all goalie categories, I'm in need of at least a goalie who will start games (doesn't matter how they do).

Both Islander goalies are still on the FA list.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:31 PM
  #28
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Who cares if he is the only good source of info? With how big of a vindictive ******* he has become since the Isles stopped sponsoring the blog he has become insufferable. And hackey articles like this are proof of that.
I, and thousands of others, read that blog every single day (or at least check it for an update).

No matter how "vindictive" a recent blog may be, he is 100% right in what he said. Fans have been talking about it for years and, to be honest, it's good that the most important resource for all things Islanders is echoing that.

And "who cares if he's the only good source of info"? Have fun reading Katie Strang who reports now and again on ******** and provides no real substance to the team in any way.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:34 PM
  #29
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Both Islander goalies are still on the FA list.
buy low - sell high Sid!

remember Matt Moulson? Martin St.Louis?

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
  #30
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
I, and thousands of others, read that blog every single day (or at least check it for an update).

No matter how "vindictive" a recent blog may be, he is 100% right in what he said. Fans have been talking about it for years and, to be honest, it's good that the most important resource for all things Islanders is echoing that.

And "who cares if he's the only good source of info"? Have fun reading Katie Strang who reports now and again on ******** and provides no real substance to the team in any way.
I am one of those thousands that reads his blog. He still puts out good articles but articles like this are the reason for my post. Explain to me how Botta goes from this: http://tiny.cc/bhfuu

To this: http://tiny.cc/x3eah

With only a few hours in between both articles. Like I said he still puts out some real good info and then posts ******** like this. Also we do agree on one thing though Katie is awful.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
  #31
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
He is absolutely correct and something A LOT on this board have been mentioning. They got ZERO help up front to take the pressure away from the kiddies. You can't expect those kids to carry your offense just not going to work that way. Its an embarrassment that they pass this **** off as a "rebuild" when all they are doing is throwing 19 20 yr olds out there to the wolves.

A "rebuild" has its core of young players, but it also has vets that can help ON THE ICE AS WELL. This is a crock of ****.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
  #32
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
buy low - sell high Sid!

remember Matt Moulson? Martin St.Louis?
you mean buy high, as a kite.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
  #33
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
I am one of those thousands that reads his blog. He still puts out good articles but articles like this are the reason for my post. Explain to me how Botta goes from this: http://tiny.cc/bhfuu

To this: http://tiny.cc/x3eah

With only a few hours in between both articles. Like I said he still puts out some real good info and then posts ******** like this. Also we do agree on one thing though Katie is awful.
I think Botta's a really good sportswriter and the best Islander writer around (not a huge feat, obviously)

It's clear that Botta and Snow aren't on good terms, for whatever reason, some of which he's written about over the past year, who cares.

Botta clearly supports Gordon and blames Snow. Is there a personal element to some of his writings? probably.

Is it factual? I'd say YES.

It's nice to hear that the room isn't divided, the players still battle for one another and support the coach. I think that's reflected in the on-ice product, how hard they work and battle.

It's painfully obvious this team lacks talent and cannot win games with consistency at the NHL level. That's on Snow. He hasn't put enough talent on the roster.

I think it's because of Wang, but that's pure speculation. I've heard Wang and Snow say they have financial resources available should there be an opportunity to improve the team.

That means that Snow believes he's done that with the team he assembled to start the season. The crap that takes the ice each night. That's a huge failure IMO.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
  #34
Groin Of Bates
Registered User
 
Groin Of Bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
I am one of those thousands that reads his blog. He still puts out good articles but articles like this are the reason for my post. Explain to me how Botta goes from this: http://tiny.cc/bhfuu

To this: http://tiny.cc/x3eah

With only a few hours in between both articles. Like I said he still puts out some real good info and then posts ******** like this. Also we do agree on one thing though Katie is awful.
I was going to respond more in depth, but Redbull beat me.

Basically, the first article is about Gordon and the team. The second is about Snow and his inability to make a team. Two different opinions on two different subjects.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
  #35
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think Botta's a really good sportswriter and the best Islander writer around (not a huge feat, obviously)

It's clear that Botta and Snow aren't on good terms, for whatever reason, some of which he's written about over the past year, who cares.

Botta clearly supports Gordon and blames Snow. Is there a personal element to some of his writings? probably.

Is it factual? I'd say YES.

It's nice to hear that the room isn't divided, the players still battle for one another and support the coach. I think that's reflected in the on-ice product, how hard they work and battle.

It's painfully obvious this team lacks talent and cannot win games with consistency at the NHL level. That's on Snow. He hasn't put enough talent on the roster.

I think it's because of Wang, but that's pure speculation. I've heard Wang and Snow say they have financial resources available should there be an opportunity to improve the team.

That means that Snow believes he's done that with the team he assembled to start the season. The crap that takes the ice each night. That's a huge failure IMO.
Very nice post. But here's the thing. I am not denying that what Botta is writing isn't true. I am arguing the fact that Botta is a five year old child and the only reason this article got written is because Snow denied his request for an interview.

And the fact that Botta even let it be known that Snow denied his request is childish and a lame attempt at trying to get the fanbase against Snow and trying to make him out to be the bad guy.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
  #36
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
I was going to respond more in depth, but Redbull beat me.

Basically, the first article is about Gordon and the team. The second is about Snow and his inability to make a team. Two different opinions on two different subjects.
Well, one doesn't have to go too far back to find Botta articles praising Snow as well. I do think overall CB wants to keep a positive spin on the Islanders and the organization - maybe part of that is a hope of repairing whatever damage has been done and gaining better access, maybe it's sincere belief that the organization and it's players are headed in the right direction.

Either way, it's clear that occasionally his relationship with Snow becomes more fractured, temporarily or otherwise, and that is usually followed up with posts like these, or little slip-ins like: "Garth Snow declined an interview request made Saturday night by me for AOL FanHouse and Point Blank after his teamís seventh consecutive loss in regulation. However, Snow conducted an interview (subscription required) on Sunday afternoon with Katie Strang of Newsday, saying he has confidence in his team, they will get out of it."

Botta is human and subject to the same level of aggravation with people afforded to anyone else. I think he resists the urge to drop things like this in more often than not, but sometimes he'll put the stuff out there and let the chips fall.

Bottom line, though, is that *some* of these do come off as spiteful. We don't know details about what all led to CB's departure from the organization or the decision to discontinue sponsorship of IPB.

I don't have any problem with the content of this article, but one can see that it goes against the general tenor of Chris' writings.

Either way, Chris' work has been awesome from the start of IPB - a vast improvement from the puff pieces that used to appear on the last page of every Blade magazine in the 90s.

I think it becomes harder for anyone to find the positives when the team is suffering a 7 game losing streak, and everyone is hoping this streak ends ASAP. Until then, stress will remain high for all parties involved.

Accurate? Sure. But I can guarantee you it isn't what CB wanted to write.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
  #37
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Very nice post. But here's the thing. I am not denying that what Botta is writing isn't true. I am arguing the fact that Botta is a five year old child and the only reason this article got written is because Snow denied his request for an interview.

And the fact that Botta even let it be known that Snow denied his request is childish and a lame attempt at trying to get the fanbase against Snow and trying to make him out to be the bad guy.
*this. However I think you're being a little harsh with the 5-yo bit.

Botta's a blogger, not a team spokesperson. He should be able to write whatever he chooses, and how he chooses to. But he's definitely mixing his message and it is transparent as to where the derailing occurs more often than not.

If another blogger wrote this, noone would blink.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
  #38
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Very nice post. But here's the thing. I am not denying that what Botta is writing isn't true..
Then that's all that matters. The truth came out and Botta wrote a great article. Who cares about the reason why. Botta wrote what many think.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:36 PM
  #39
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Then that's all that matters. The truth came out and Botta wrote a great article. Who cares about the reason why. Botta wrote what many think.
Thats the thing its not a good article. All this is is Botta trying to get the fanbase against Snow. Nothing more nothing less.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
  #40
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
so we have a bad, meddling owner
bad PR
bad GM
bad coach
bad players
bad arena
bad media coverage
no chief scout

and only the NDJ have fewer points than us.
only adirondack has fewer points than BP.

things can only get better from here.
how very '08-'09...minus the chief scout.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
  #41
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Thats the thing its not a good article. All this is is Botta trying to get the fanbase against Snow. Nothing more nothing less.
This member of the fanbase as wanted Snow gone for at least 6 months and only recently started posting on here that Snow Must Go! It is nice to see the most trusted and HONEST member of the media that follows the Isles tell the truth. Snow did **** to improve the team and it is showing. Snow had at least 5 million to spend this off season and could not sign anyone because he is a bush league GM, the Martin offer proves he had at least 5 million more to spend.

Snow Must Go!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
  #42
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
This member of the fanbase as wanted Snow gone for at least 6 months and only recently started posting on here that Snow Must Go! It is nice to see the most trusted and HONEST member of the media that follows the Isles tell the truth. Snow did **** to improve the team and it is showing. Snow had at least 5 million to spend this off season and could not sign anyone because he is a bush league GM, the Martin offer proves he had at least 5 million more to spend.

Snow Must Go!
You understand Botta doesn't want Snow fired because he doesn't think he has done a good job. Its because Snow won't give Botta an interview and he is having one of his patented temper tantrums he has when he doesn't get his way.

Also besides Paul Martin and Hamhuis(who btw was not signing anywhere else but Vancouver) who in god's name did you want Snow to sign to a big money contract? Volchenkov? Frolov? No thanks.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:00 PM
  #43
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
You understand Botta doesn't want Snow fired because he doesn't think he has done a good job. Its because Snow won't give Botta an interview and he is having one of his patented temper tantrums he has when he doesn't get his way.

Also besides Paul Martin and Hamhuis(who btw was not signing anywhere else but Vancouver) who in god's name did you want Snow to sign to a big money contract? Volchenkov? Frolov? No thanks.
It proves Snow had money to after guys like Ladd, Gagne, and Buff who were all acquired by trade. Frolov, Cullen, Stempniak to name a few would all help this team this season and next. They are all on short term deals instead Garth grabbed PAP, I guess you are happy grabbing top 5 picks, I am not.

Snow Must Go!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
  #44
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Thats the thing its not a good article. All this is is Botta trying to get the fanbase against Snow. Nothing more nothing less.
First you say the article was true and now you say it isn't good. So, the truth isn't good to you.

Welcome to NYI Country.

We get your point already. We heard it the first 20 times.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  #45
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
I think Botta is right on the money regardless of what his motives are.... Gordon can't win with this team. Guys like DeBoer, Gordon, Laviolette, Arniel etc.. are good at taking a limited roster and getting more out of it. We could be even worse under guys like Andy Murray or Ken Hitchcock.

We only have 4 top six forwards, and 5 when Okposo comes back. If Snow was a good GM he would recognize this now, instead of when it is beyond repair. Grabner, Parenteau and Schremp are not top 6 forwards at the NHL level. Weight, Nielsen and Hunter are clear solid bottom 6 guys, can't have them playing more minutes than they do.

What is the solution.... simple... you make a trade... you sell Wang on the financial merits of having a playoff team versus 3000 people in the Barn in February for a clash against the Thrashers.

The Devils and Sabres are teams that might not be able to put anything together this season and would be willing trade partners.

Would you deal one of the two goalie prospect and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Langenbrunner? Devils are not going to fire Maclean this year, he is a guy like Sutter, Julien, or Robinson... he is a Devils hero, Lou won't fire him. He apparently blows as a coach, and the Devils have nothing behind Brodeur for the future.

I do think this season can be salvage by making one solid trade for a big 6 forward. We can soldier on with Mottau, Gervais and Hillen until Jurcina, AndyMac and Streit return. I think Jon Sim is here to stay, because he can kill penalties and play in the bottom 6 better than the PapGrabsShrimp. At some point Gillies will be cut, Gervais will be released and the trading partner for the top 6 forward might have to take back some part of the PapGrabsShrimp.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
  #46
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
Wait, you're disappointed in Botta for pointing out this out because you think he hasn't already? All summer, in a subtle fashion, he has. Plus everyone knew they truly didn't do a thing. If anything, he's put his arse on the line with snow with this article and further proven he's willing to go against the grain. I think it's great he's pointing out the problems 5 on 5. It shows where garth truly dropped the ball, or was forced to not pick it up by wang.
Generally speaking, when beat writers criticize a GM, coach or owner, they only do it when they think their can't be retribution (such as being frozen out of news scoops).

Let's see:

- Botta has already complained that Snow has frozen him out of things in the past year.
- The team is doing poorly, and some shake-up will happen by, say, next year's free agency (conservatively)
- The team has lost 7 straight

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
  #47
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
It proves Snow had money to after guys like Ladd, Gagne, and Buff who were all acquired by trade. Frolov, Cullen, Stempniak to name a few would all help this team this season and next. They are all on short term deals instead Garth grabbed PAP, I guess you are happy grabbing top 5 picks, I am not.

Snow Must Go!
First off no ****ing way the Flyers were trading Gagne here no matter what we offered. Buff is a good hockey player but not what we need. Also we could use Frolov? Really? Him and his 2 goals and 6 points in 15 games? And I did want Stemp but at the time last year I wouldn't have given him more than 1 year.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:09 PM
  #48
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
First off no ****ing way the Flyers were trading Gagne here no matter what we offered. Buff is a good hockey player but not what we need. Also we could use Frolov? Really? Him and his 2 goals and 6 points in 15 games? And I did want Stemp but at the time last year I wouldn't have given him more than 1 year.

If Buff is not the type of guy this team needs what is. He has been a rock for Atlanta this year on D he also was solid last year on offense. The guy is a player with size and skill I count ZERO players on the Isles with size and skill. Frolov is hit or miss, he could have done well with the Isles maybe not, the point is Snow needed to sign or trade for a proven goal scoring threat and he failed to do so. He did not do his job, therefore along with his bad past history he should fired.

Snow Must Go!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
  #49
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
If Buff is not the type of guy this team needs what is. He has been a rock for Atlanta this year on D he also was solid last year on offense. The guy is a player with size and skill I count ZERO players on the Isles with size and skill. Frolov is hit or miss, he could have done well with the Isles maybe not, the point is Snow needed to sign or trade for a proven goal scoring threat and he failed to do so. He did not do his job, therefore along with his bad past history he should fired.

Snow Must Go!
Ok I was wrong on Buff I didn't notice he is almost a PPG player right now. But at the time Okposo was healthy and does the exact same job as Buff does it just as well and is younger. So I don't blame Garth for not wanting to trade for someone like Buff.

Outside of Kovy there wasn't a true goal scorer out there that Garth really could have acquired. Also what bad past history? He has done a damn fine job so far as GM. Seeing as just a couple years ago he had no front office experience and the fact that right now the Isles aren't the most attractive team in the world to free agents.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
  #50
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Ok I was wrong on Buff I didn't notice he is almost a PPG player right now. But at the time Okposo was healthy and does the exact same job as Buff does it just as well and is younger. So I don't blame Garth for not wanting to trade for someone like Buff.

Outside of Kovy there wasn't a true goal scorer out there that Garth really could have acquired. Also what bad past history? He has done a damn fine job so far as GM. Seeing as just a couple years ago he had no front office experience and the fact that right now the Isles aren't the most attractive team in the world to free agents.
Buff and Okposo on the team would be a good thing, Okposo is more of a two way forward than power forward. Buff would have been the exact type of addition that is in line with a successful re-build, a young quality veteran. So yes, this fan can blame Snow for not making an offer for Buff.

As for bad past history Snow has done nothing as GM other than collect kiddies in the draft while finishing in the bottom 5 of the league. Him not having experience is another reason he has not been successful. While we may not be the most attractive destination for FA, a good GM would get the deals done so the fans don't have to make excuses for a guy who is supposed to be a professional.

Snow Must Go!

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.