HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the hell is wrong with NHL.com video

Old
11-10-2010, 08:03 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
What the hell is wrong with NHL.com video

I'm running a brand new Macbook Pro. I have a very good internet connection. But NHL.com video highlights just absolutely suck. The stream pauses every 5 seconds. Last year no problem. This year? Awful.

I've submitted 3 complaints to them with no result, or even an answer.

Sorry to complain, But I live very far away, and I want to see Habs highlights that don't pause every 5 seconds for 2 seconds.

I used to rip NHL vids as .FLV files, but they've stopped that one.

God it pi-sses me off. The NHL wants to promote hockey, and keep fans happy, yet the retards who run the site can't produce high quality streaming highlights, and don't even bother to answer e-mails from loyal fans.

WTF? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please advise guys.

Last edited by bsl: 11-10-2010 at 10:28 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

im not having any problems

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
im not having any problems
Well, epic dead end. One tiny answer, thanks dude by the way. Guess I'll just contact some other Habs fan in this godforsaken 10,000 mile away town I live in and see if they have a problem...

Please stop the flood of helpful responses guys! No really! Stop! We'll overload the server!

Old
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Thinkbig

dude update ur flash player... flash sucks i know

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
neopreneur

Maybe you should upgrade your dial-up connection.

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I also have problems with the stream freezing a lot. And it's only on nhl.com that it does that.

And I'm not on a mac.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
dude update ur flash player... flash sucks i know
'Macs LOL.'

Geez guys, thanks, that was so massively helpful, I'm in tears.

To Thinkbig, thanks you may be right, I'll upgrade the flash. But Mac makes it easy to upgrade all the time, and I've had no new flash upgrade messages for a while. Surprising, since flash sucks so badly, and usually upgrades every 35 and half hours...

Point is I'm seeing sh-it highlights of Habs games, and it hurts, bad. I need a group hug. FEEL for me guys.

Old
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I also have problems with the stream freezing a lot. And it's only on nhl.com that it does that.

And I'm not on a mac.
Exactly. E = CH2 (Which is not a compound. It is just a group of carbon and hydrogen atoms . It's name is perhaps a methylene group. We have evidence of another case.)

We now have evidence. Two users who cannot stream sh-it cr-ap NHL. com videos.

I was looking for one more case, and myself and E = 'not a compound. It is just a group of carbon and hydrogen atoms . It's name is perhaps a methylene group. We have evidence of another case.' is all we need to present our case to Gary 'I'm small and angry about it' Bettman.

Thanks guys, this has been a really great group hug thing. I'll let you know on my progress with Gary.

Old
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

they usually upload those same updates to youtube the day after, so atleast there's that.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
they usually upload those same updates to youtube the day after, so atleast there's that.
Did not know that, thanks dude. I'll check that. Did you get that E= CH2? Let's try that .

Old
11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Why not use tsn ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
coolasprICE

are you smoking green or brown this fine afternoon ?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
neofury*

Ever since the more recent Flash Updates mine has been ****** on all computers whether it's at the office, friends houses whatever.

It isn't that it freezes every 5 seconds. For me it's that I'll be watching a video and then suddenly the video will freeze and the audio continues. (This is on full screen mode)

Only thing is it never catches up. Every time it happens I have to exit full screen and go back in. Happens on youtube sometimes, other sites all the time especially TSN's site. It's just damn annoying. It doesn't halt the stream it's just the video seems to stop feeding while the audio continues. Simple exiting of full screen mode fixes it, it's just annoying when you just did that 30 seconds ago and it happens again.

No real method to the madness either, sometimes it'll happen 10 seconds later sometimes it won't happen in an hour.

This only started happening to me in more recent versions of flash

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
are you smoking green or brown this fine afternoon ?
Dude I smoke green every afternoon and lately brown too. I'm only crazy like this during the day at work when I'm stuck here and bored out of my mind. ADD, OCD, HFBoards + Work... a fatal combination

Point is though I'm a lot more calm after work than at

Either way could be he's the same.

Old
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
macs, lol
Nevermind the fact that OS X never crashes and manages ram more efficiently than any OS on the market since it launched.

Nevermind the fact that they never break down.

Nevermind the fact that they've had intel processors for about 4 years and can run whatever OS you want if necessary on boot, not emulation.

uh huh....

And for the OP: it's NHL.com, it isn't on your end.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
zzoo

Me too, I had problem viewing the highlights video on NHL.com.
I have 4 different laptops/desktops, only one of them doesn't work. I still don't know why.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Hockey Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
WTF? Is anyone else having this problem?
I'm having the same problem at work which has a slower high speed connection, but it should be fast enough. No problem at home with the same computer and didn't have problems with gamecenter at work. It's only the highlights.

I don't have a solution. I pause it and let it buffer a bit, but if pause it too long, it starts over again.

Hockey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

I get the same deal on both my mac and PC, both are fully updated. Might be the most recent version of flash that's screwy.

I also get issues with rds' zone vidéo... but I expect crap from le réseau des BS

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Pleky Roks

To be honest....I used to love NHL.com and I used to use it for everything, but since they changed it 2 or 3 years ago, its been garbage!! Its slow loading and takes for ever to click around on the page. Its great to have fancy graphics on the page and all that....but I know of 25 people who all say the same thing, since they changed the page, it sucks!!!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Well, epic dead end. One tiny answer, thanks dude by the way. Guess I'll just contact some other Habs fan in this godforsaken 10,000 mile away town I live in and see if they have a problem...

Please stop the flood of helpful responses guys! No really! Stop! We'll overload the server!
Don't be a ******** or you won't get any help.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
maci4life

I'll tell you what i hate. I use the centre ice online from them and they seem to consider me watching an edmonton, vancouver or calgary game a local market game. WTF is wrong with them?? They black them out on their own website because of it. they are the NHL FFS!!!, and should have exclusive rights to all games regardless of TV deals ( who gives them the right to force me to have cable or satellite TV?? ) ALSO, just because it MAY be available if i pay for specialty channels, doesn't mean that they are available to me. I have basic cable so i DON'T have them!!!! if they want to use the fact that i may have access to them if i want to pay extra, then technically speaking i should be blacked out of 80% of NHL games because i can buy enough specialty channels to get out of market channels which cover games too!!!!!

It's the first and last time i sign up with them, because my rants and others in my position will obviously go on deaf ears.

Last edited by maci4life: 11-10-2010 at 02:16 PM.
maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Only thing I've noticed wrong is that the audio on their highlight packs are sometimes off sync and echoing.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:31 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Flash sucks

Flash sucks on Windows

Flash sucks even more on Mac

You can probably heat your house from all the cpu flash requires on Linux.

Please, Flash, die.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Nevermind the fact that OS X never crashes and manages ram more efficiently than any OS on the market since it launched.

crashed it and had to fix one for somebody

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

Nevermind the fact that they've had intel processors for about 4 years and can run whatever OS you want if necessary on boot, not emulation.

uh huh....

And for the OP: it's NHL.com, it isn't on your end.
Yeah because the hardware provided by the motherboard magnufacturer and intel is far superior in a mac than another rig

No offense as I normally dig most of your posts but this is the kind of blatant mac fanboyism that gives mac their pretentious name in the first place. Mac people are just unwilling to accept that Mac/Apple are anything less than just good. A lot of companies make good rigs and laptops dude. Apple uses the same components as everyone else they just "optimize" it to increase the price tag.

Intel processors for 4 years.... I fail to see how that's a tribute to them as I've had intel processors for years and yeah my rigs were better than what mac offered then to. I mean really the fact that it's only been 4 years is pitiful, not sure I would use that as a way to compliment Apple or their decisions.

Look Apple is a good company, the only difference is they're good at marketing and they have gimmicks. This is what makes them better than a lot of other comparable companies in terms of popularity etc. That doesn't make them better in terms of the actual OS or hardware at hand. MacOS is a major pain in the ass if you ask me, never been a fan and have always been a windows or linux guy. I can admit Microsoft has made some ****** operating systems like Windows ME.

Guess what though? 2k Vista and 7 all say hi. This isn't 1995 anymore where you can blatantly say Mac > Windows and have people be naive enough to eat it up. Windows has come a very long way while Mac has stuck to gimmicks and marketing. Microsoft doesn't need to market windows any more than they have they already control the entire business sector of the market and a vast majority of the home users as well. There's a reason Mac only has a niche market in the computer world and anyone thinking otherwise good for you I'm glad you love your mac and I'm happy you enjoy the Apple products you paid for but don't bash and expect people just to eat it up like it's actually truth. With a couple free software choices that you can make Windows is even better than it already is.

Plus a huge part of the reason Mac is so much more stable than windows is because it's used far less. Known fact that people who make spyware and viruses do so for windows not just because it's easier but because it can infect 10x the amount of people. Why even bother with Mac that really would affect 10% of computer users. Even if you check sites the mac browsers are used to view these sites at less than 10%. I guess some of them are using Firefox for mac??? Either way it's not a huge portion of the market. People who do Denial of Service type stuff do it for whichever OS they can inflict more damage upon. Just like when linux servers were being used for hosting web servers mail servers and all that other fun stuff exploits started to basically pop up almost over night. If Mac were to be useful for hosting or using as a work related OS maybe it would be the same for them, problem is they aren't and are only really penetrating a very niche market of people who basically like Apple because they like Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Flash sucks

Flash sucks on Windows

Flash sucks even more on Mac

You can probably heat your house from all the cpu flash requires on Linux.

Please, Flash, die.
It's funny cause lately on my home rig I've been having issues with lag all of the sudden. I quickly realized flash runs an exe in the background when in use that was taking up like 400mb of RAM! Now I only have like 4gb of ram and it's Vista and this piece of **** is taking up all that ram to the point where my quadcore with 4 gigs of ram is lagging? I've never had PC lag really before on this machine and it's pretty old too. But when their dumb little app bugs up it drains all my resources.

I usually wind up having to end task it and Firefox which by then is like 400mb of ram as well. it seems like the flash is causing it in FF cause as long as I don't watch videos ever it seems okay. The memory usage is just an upwards line too. It never seems to fluctuate/go down just up... Flash On my work PC it seems SVCHOST.exe gains a **** load of ram usage when I use flash but at home it's a different EXE. Meanwhile I'm on the same version of Windows AND Flash...

Can't speak for how good it is on mac but honestly Flash sucks balls.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-10-2010 at 02:49 PM.