HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What if NHL doesn't come back in fall?

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
What if NHL doesn't come back in fall?

I was asking myself this question, and the answer that came immediatly to mind was "Best Olympics Ever!". Y'know, Part of me really wants the NHL back. The other part says, 'shove it, NHL, international competitions rock'. Just think of the lengthy training camps all the countries could have without the NHL. Young prospects like Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby and Kessel could be prominantly on display.And you could always make a short window for people to join the NHL after the Olympics.

Old
05-21-2005, 08:53 AM
mercury

vCash: 500
As much as I like international hockey, I would not want the NHL to destroy itself in the United States, as that would do chronic damage to the sport overall.

Old
05-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
If the NHL does not come back the Olympics and WJC are the only hockey we'll see unlesss they play alot more Junior or AHL on TV.

Old
05-21-2005, 08:58 AM
jacketracket*

Very interesting point, IMO.

I've gotten hooked on these international competitions, and I can't picture the level of intensity we'd see if these guys had the time to train together extensively. Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be worried about immediately returning in good shape to an NHL season in progress.

Good stuff.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:14 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
As much as I like international hockey, I would not want the NHL to destroy itself in the United States, as that would do chronic damage to the sport overall.
Some may argue the horse has left the barn on that one.(with the exception of Detroit, Boston, Colorado and the NY Rangers,the team thats tempting disaster whether they play or not)

Old
05-21-2005, 09:15 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Very interesting point, IMO.

I've gotten hooked on these international competitions, and I can't picture the level of intensity we'd see if these guys had the time to train together extensively. Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be worried about immediately returning in good shape to an NHL season in progress.

Good stuff.
Wowza, I completly forgot about the getting in shape part. Theres another little perk, plus the fact that they won't be all weary from already playing 40 games.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
There will be riots in many places,I can tell you that.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
PhillyPhantoms

I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be devastated. I mean, I'd get to go see Carter, Richards, Niittymaki, Picard, Ruzicka, ect. live a lot more then I would have seen them in person if they were on the Flyers.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
What if the NHL doesn't come back in fall?

The immediate answer that comes to mind is... Bettman and Goodenow will have personal protection for the rest of their lives becasuse every hockey fan from USA to Europe will want their heads on a pole. Myself included. The antics of those two have gone on long enough, it's pretty obvious that they are more interested in their own egos than the financial stability of professional hockey.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:11 AM
se7en*

It's not just American fans. I'm feeling pretty indifferent. And don't say I'm not a true fan, there is alot of other hockey to satisfy me.

In fact, I'm looking forward to the Eskies and our Lacrosse team more than the NHL now.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:28 AM
MobyHotel

International Hockey sucks. I'm sorry.
If there is no NHL I will not be watching hockey except for major junior or AHL.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:35 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyHotel
International Hockey sucks. I'm sorry.
If there is no NHL I will not be watching hockey except for major junior or AHL.
Wrong. International hockey is the best hockey there is. Personally, I don't much care any more if the NHL starts or not. Something will start at some point in time, that's for sure.

Old
05-21-2005, 11:47 AM
salty justice

Hockey has such a bad image in the US right now. I cant go by a day without someone cracking an NHL joke to me. And its always people who have no clue what hockey is! They think that because the NHL is locked out that there are no other good leagues (probably because they are football fans). Almost everyday Ill have some kind of hockey related clothing on, and multiple people will say "Isnt the NHL dead?"

Ive already decided to boycott going to NHL games and buying new NHL merchandise for atleast a year or two. If they dont start on time next season, I dont think I will go to a game for three years after they start playing.

Old
05-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Sotnos

The Olympics are fun and all, but sacrifice another season just so we have a great two weeks of games? No thanks, I want to see a lot more hockey than that.

Old
05-21-2005, 01:58 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
International hockey is agood passifier, but Im dieing for nhl action. Nothing compares to it.

Old
05-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Oil_slick9416*

Send a message via ICQ to Oil_slick9416* Send a message via MSN to Oil_slick9416*
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
I was asking myself this question, and the answer that came immediatly to mind was "Best Olympics Ever!". Y'know, Part of me really wants the NHL back. The other part says, 'shove it, NHL, international competitions rock'. Just think of the lengthy training camps all the countries could have without the NHL. Young prospects like Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby and Kessel could be prominantly on display.And you could always make a short window for people to join the NHL after the Olympics.

if the nhl doesn't come back in the fall, there will be no nhl hockey until a deal is reached.

Old
05-21-2005, 02:07 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

there will be a riot at my house

Old
05-21-2005, 02:16 PM
ThinMcWhistle

re:

Newsflash:

There will be NHL hockey next season. The parties are close to an agreement, and the union knows that they have lost this fight long ago already.

Count on it.

Old
05-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_4ever
there will be a riot at my house
I'll join in.

Old
05-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Hawerchuk10

If the NHL doesn't come back next year?

I will be crying like a little B$#ITCH. I miss it very much, so please get your act together Goodenow and Bettman so we have hockey next year!! The ECHL and AHL is OK but just doesn't cut it fully. International competition is great too, but I can hardly ever watch any of it. Not enough exposure. And I also miss HNIC on Saturday's with CENTER ICE.

Closed Thread