HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Additional Sabres information from GM meetings

Old
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 500
Please send Vanek somewhere where he won't stink up my fantasy team so badly.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Leafs need a vet center....we should do some business...seriously
-----

Gunnarsson + 3rd
for
Connolly + 2nd ??

Gunnarsson is more than a mid level prospect. Leafs think the 2nd(buf) will be at a decent spot....and connolly will stop a bit of the bleeding for the woes down the middle.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that a prospect has more value than an established, 29 year-old center?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Would be awesome if my Connolly idea came true a few days after I proposed it on here. Maybe Bob's been reading the boards!

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:36 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Just get a center who can play defensive minutes and forecheck well. I don't really care about points if the guy can keep the puck in the other end for a shift. Niedermayer has been an absolute failure in that regard.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Lunatik*

I haven't paid any attention to the Sabres this year (nor have I ever really)... but what exactly are their needs?... Sabres fans can you shed any light?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I haven't paid any attention to the Sabres this year (nor have I ever really)... but what exactly are their needs?... Sabres fans can you shed any light?
Everything.

No, seriously...we lack a true top-line forward, an effective checking line C, a PP QB & a backup goalie. Amongst other things.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Basically, their success last year came on having four lines who were forechecking really well (watch the Detroit game from November to see the best example of this). Unfortunately, once Tim Kennedy stopped being good at center around halfway through the year, the team lost the depth that made them so dangerous. This was somewhat masked by the emergence of Hecht-Connolly-Pominville as a legit 1st line, but injuries to Hecht and Vanek did them in in the post season. The offseason saw them sign Rob Niedermayer to reconstruct some of that depth, but he's been an abject failure, Connolly is playing as heartlessly as he did in the postseason, Hecht still has a brace on his finger and Pominville is still coming back from the concussion. In the big scheme of things, they need to revitalize their top six forward corps with a big center, as well as improve their top 4 D.

Right now though, they need to get a line going that can play puck possession hockey and they need a center to do that.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Everything.

No, seriously...we lack a true top-line forward, an effective checking line C, a PP QB & a backup goalie. Amongst other things.
do you believe there could be interest in Iginla? I don't expect him to be moved but suggestions the Flames and Sabres are talking not long after Eklund suggested the Sabres had interest in Iginla...

Old
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
BeastMode2326

Quote:
do you believe there could be interest in Iginla? I don't expect him to be moved but suggestions the Flames and Sabres are talking not long after Eklund suggested the Sabres had interest in Iginla...
Oh yeah. I know he's getting up there in age but he is exactly what this team needs.

BeastMode2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode2326 View Post
Oh yeah. I know he's getting up there in age but he is exactly what this team needs.
What kinds of assets can you see the Sabres surrendering in an Iginla deal?

Old
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Tim Connolly to Calgary makes a lot of sense. A decent playmaking C for Iginla.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Please send Vanek somewhere where he won't stink up my fantasy team so badly.
What's the implied HF going rate for Vanek anyways?

After a brutal season and a poor start (for a player with his cap hit), I would suspect his value must be plummeting. Still interested to see where the value is at though...The Kings do have the cap space and the need for a top flight winger to play with Kopitar

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Tim Connolly to Calgary makes a lot of sense. A decent playmaking C for Iginla.
If he is indeed a heartless player then no, he isn't what Calgary needs. The last thing you want to do is try to get a right winger motivated by trading for an unmotivated center.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Miller Time

To Buffalo:
Gomez (7.4 UFA 2014)
A.Kost (3.25 RFA 2011)
O'byrne (900K RFA 2011)
2012 3rd round pick

To Montreal:
Pominville (5.3 UFA 2014)
Connolly (4.5 UFA 2011)

Salaries for this season are a relative wash (depending on wether or not Buffalo keeps O'Byrne with big club).
Buffalo replaces Connolly with Gomez (lateral move production wise, Gomez has awful contract but is more versatile than Connolly and likely a better fit for Ruff), and Pominville with the younger/cheaper A.Kost. Immediate and near future talent swap is in Sabres favor, they add a pick and a young Dman as compensation for the ~2M in difference between Gomez/Pominville contract.

Montreal moves out from under Gomez's deal, taking on Pominville's inflated cap hit instead. Connolly, if he pans out with Gionta, can be re-signed at reasonable deal in the offseason, or let go if he doesn't work out. Pominville gives Habs another speedy winger and a "local" talent.

Enough incentive for Sabres to bite?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Call Me No One
All's Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Volchenkov View Post
Can Butler step into the NHL right now? We have enough rookies on defense. We need an NHL defender.
He'll be a top-3 defender in the next 5 years.

Call Me No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
To Buffalo:
Gomez (7.4 UFA 2014)
A.Kost (3.25 RFA 2011)
O'byrne (900K RFA 2011)
2012 3rd round pick

To Montreal:
Connolly (4.5 UFA 2011)

Salaries for this season are a relative wash (depending on wether or not Buffalo keeps O'Byrne with big club).
Buffalo replaces Connolly with Gomez (lateral move production wise, Gomez has awful contract but is more versatile than Connolly and likely a better fit for Ruff), and Pominville with the younger/cheaper A.Kost. Immediate and near future talent swap is in Sabres favor, they add a pick and a young Dman as compensation for the ~2M in difference between Gomez/Pominville contract.

Montreal moves out from under Gomez's deal, taking on Pominville's inflated cap hit instead. Connolly, if he pans out with Gionta, can be re-signed at reasonable deal in the offseason, or let go if he doesn't work out. Pominville gives Habs another speedy winger and a "local" talent.

Doubtful. Sabres are already buried under Vanek's salary...it's highly doubtful that they could take on another long-term contract like that and remain competitive.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Doubtful. Sabres are already buried under Vanek's salary...it's highly doubtful that they could take on another long-term contract like that and remain competitive.
If I have understood correctly, Buffalo has been limited more by their internal budget than cap space (having 3.8 million cap space right now). Gomez's remaining years pay him on average 6.375 million (for cap hit of 7.357 million), so in sense he could be good fit.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
To Buffalo:
Gomez (7.4 UFA 2014)
A.Kost (3.25 RFA 2011)
O'byrne (900K RFA 2011)
2012 3rd round pick

To Montreal:
Connolly (4.5 UFA 2011)

as a hab fan there's no way i make that deal

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Blitz
Welcome 2 HH Archie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
If I have understood correctly, Buffalo has been limited more by their internal budget than cap space (having 3.8 million cap space right now). Gomez's remaining years pay him on average 6.375 million (for cap hit of 7.357 million), so in sense he could be good fit.
Unless you're gonna eat Vaneks $$$, the internal budget is blown -

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
as a hab fan there's no way i make that deal
care to elaborate?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Lunatik*

any chance the Sabres would do something like this?

to Buffalo: J. Iginla (7.0m)
to Calgary: T. Vanek (7.14m), 1st in 2011

is it lopsided for either team? pretty fair?

Old
11-11-2010, 06:55 AM
buffalocupcrazy*

Quote:

probably not a first from buffalo.

we'd go after iginla to get a center to play with vanek so you'd prolly have to pick another player or prospects. I have no issue with kassian, gerbe, first for iginla. or even stafford kassian and first

buffalocupcrazy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Vujtek

Quote:

That looks to be pretty high 1st rounder and Vanek is 7 years younger than Iginla so can't see any reason for Buffalo to do it. They're not a cup contender so there's no need for them to make a deal like that. Also Iginla is on the decline so the difference between Iginla's and Vanek's value isn't 1st round pick in my eyes.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalocupcrazy View Post
probably not a first from buffalo.

we'd go after iginla to get a center to play with vanek so you'd prolly have to pick another player or prospects. I have no issue with kassian, gerbe, first for iginla. or even stafford kassian and first
you do realize Iginla is a Right Winger and not a centerman right?... so acquiring him would do nothing in regards to finding a center... however I think Roy/Iginla could be a very good combination... but I would very likely bite on Stafford, Kassian and a 1st... but you would have to include a salary dump also I would assume since Stafford only has a cap hit of $1.9m

Old
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
That looks to be pretty high 1st rounder and Vanek is 7 years younger than Iginla so can't see any reason for Buffalo to do it. They're not a cup contender so there's no need for them to make a deal like that. Also Iginla is on the decline so the difference between Iginla's and Vanek's value isn't 1st round pick in my eyes.
I highly doubt it will be a high 1st, I fully expect Buffalo to rebound and make the playoffs