HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NFL wants to add another Cable Night for football..Versus on list

Old
11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
frivolousz21

vCash: 500
OT: NFL wants to add another Cable Night for football..Versus on list

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/67312

Would be huge for the NHL If they stayed with Versus and Versus got a weekly NFL game

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:55 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
huge for versus, yeah.

huge for the NHL? that depends. how do we know versus doesnt shun nhl games in favor of the more profitable nfl? What type of crossover is there that will turn nfl fans into nhl fans? yes, this would increase versus suscriptions in the USA, but whether that turns into better ratings for the NHL or not is up in air.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:49 PM
sh724

It really depends on what night they have the games, the only options are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Teams wont want to play on Tues or Wed because they have a very short week to prepare for the next game. So it would most likely be on Friday unless the NFL network wants to give up its Thursday night game which would defeat the purpose. Versus does not have any NHL coverage on Fridays so I do not think it would hurt their NHL broadcast, and the NHL could get free advertising during NFL games by VS talking them up. Since the viewers are watching football most likely they will be watching MNF as well so Monday nights are out for VS picking up viewers.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
VS nearly got Thursday night games but the NFL decided to put it on NFL Network instead.

VS has grown alot + Comcast resources make it a very appealing option to either move Thurdsay games to VS or add a Friday game

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

I believe as part of Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 the NFL can't have games on TV on Friday and Saturday's during the High school and college football seasons (Saturday games as of now are after the college season is done). So this additional package would basically be extending Thursday games to a full season and selling that package to another outlet.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
I believe as part of Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 the NFL can't have games on TV on Friday and Saturday's during the High school and college football seasons (Saturday games as of now are after the college season is done). So this additional package would basically be extending Thursday games to a full season and selling that package to another outlet.
Yeah, it can't be within so many miles of another game, so we're talking about games on Tuesday, Wednesday, or more Thursdays.

Old
11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post

Yup - The Sports Broadcasting Act had an exclusion to protect interscholastic (High School) and intercollegiate (College) football.

The NFL can't show games on Fridays after 6:00PM or on Saturdays during the HS/College Football season from an OTA station within 75 miles of a HS or College game.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._15_10_32.html
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...3----000-.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Code, Title 15, Chapter 32, 1293
TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 32 > 1293

1293. Intercollegiate and interscholastic football contest limitations

The first sentence of section 1291 of this title shall not apply to any joint agreement described in such section which permits the telecasting of all or a substantial part of any professional football game on any Friday after six o’clock postmeridian or on any Saturday during the period beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December in any year from any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site of any intercollegiate or interscholastic football contest scheduled to be played on such a date if—
(1) such intercollegiate football contest is between institutions of higher learning both of which confer degrees upon students following completion of sufficient credit hours to equal a four-year course, or

(2) in the case of an interscholastic football contest, such contest is between secondary schools, both of which are accredited or certified under the laws of the State or States in which they are situated and offer courses continuing through the twelfth grade of the standard school curriculum, or the equivalent, and

(3) such intercollegiate or interscholastic football contest and such game site were announced through publication in a newspaper of general circulation prior to August 1 of such year as being regularly scheduled for such day and place.
Whether this would apply to a national cable channel is uncertain - it would depend on whether they look at the local CableCo (as opposed to the national channel broadcast distribution site) as "any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site". A satellite only distribution would likely be able to skirt this restriction in any case.

Last edited by kdb209: 11-09-2010 at 03:44 PM.
kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
It really depends on what night they have the games, the only options are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Teams wont want to play on Tues or Wed because they have a very short week to prepare for the next game. So it would most likely be on Friday unless the NFL network wants to give up its Thursday night game which would defeat the purpose. Versus does not have any NHL coverage on Fridays so I do not think it would hurt their NHL broadcast, and the NHL could get free advertising during NFL games by VS talking them up. Since the viewers are watching football most likely they will be watching MNF as well so Monday nights are out for VS picking up viewers.
The NFL will NEVER play on Fridays. Quote me on it if you want, it will never ever happen. They would never compete and take away people from high school football.

EDIT: I should probably just read the whole thread before I post

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 11-09-2010 at 04:12 PM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:06 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The NFL will NEVER play on Fridays. Quote me on it if you want, it will never ever happen. They would never compete and take away people from high school football.

EDIT: I should probably just read the whole thread before I post
It is rare but NFL Friday games have happened. The two most recent Friday games were Oct. 21, 2005 between the Chiefs and Dolphins and Dec. 24, 2004 between the Packers and the Vikings.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:05 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Yup - The Sports Broadcasting Act had an exclusion to protect interscholastic (High School) and intercollegiate (College) football.

The NFL can't show games on Fridays after 6:00PM or on Saturdays during the HS/College Football season from an OTA station within 75 miles of a HS or College game.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._15_10_32.html
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...3----000-.html

Whether this would apply to a national cable channel is uncertain - it would depend on whether they look at the local CableCo (as opposed to the national channel broadcast distribution site) as "any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site". A satellite only distribution would likely be able to skirt this restriction in any case.
I think over-the-air is the key in all of this. Versus isn't an OTA network and should be able to broadcast Friday/Saturday night games. I'm of course assuming that I'm reading that properly.

I still think the most likely scenario is probably Thursday nights though.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:15 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I think over-the-air is the key in all of this. Versus isn't an OTA network and should be able to broadcast Friday/Saturday night games. I'm of course assuming that I'm reading that properly.

I still think the most likely scenario is probably Thursday nights though.
That is the most reasonable interpretation, but that's the problem, trying to reconcile 1961 law (which, as far as I can tell does not define "telecasting station") with 2010 technology.

Of course, since this exemption came from Congress and not the courts, Congress may have the final say here in clarifying the law - which begs the question of who is the more powerful constituency (in money and votes) the NFL or HS & College Football. My guess is the latter.

Old
11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
It is rare but NFL Friday games have happened. The two most recent Friday games were Oct. 21, 2005 between the Chiefs and Dolphins and Dec. 24, 2004 between the Packers and the Vikings.
I think both were exempt if I remember correctly. Chiefs/Dolphins was moved because of Hurricane Wilma, and no college/HS teams play on Christmas Eve.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I think both were exempt if I remember correctly. Chiefs/Dolphins was moved because of Hurricane Wilma, and no college/HS teams play on Christmas Eve.
And the exemption only runs from mid-Sept to mid-December.

Old
11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
That's right. The previous Friday game before the games mentioned was Dec. 24, 1999 between the Saints and Cowboys.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:51 PM
jessebelanger

A lot of great information already in this thread. I have to agree with jkrdevil that extending the thursday games to include the whole season seems like the most likely option..however how would the players feel about that? Apparently there is grumbling about the thursday night games that they already have (8 weeks of thursdays I believe)

Any possibilities for versus stacking an NHL game after a thursday night NFL broadcast? Or would the games be running too late..

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
A lot of great information already in this thread. I have to agree with jkrdevil that extending the thursday games to include the whole season seems like the most likely option..however how would the players feel about that? Apparently there is grumbling about the thursday night games that they already have (8 weeks of thursdays I believe)

Any possibilities for versus stacking an NHL game after a thursday night NFL broadcast? Or would the games be running too late..
Too late. Games usually start at 8:30, and you can't really count on those ending before 12am.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote