HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates Profiling

Old
11-08-2010, 12:05 AM
goonx

vCash: 500
Skates Profiling

Hey all,

I have a question about skate profiling. I recently got a new pair of skates and starting getting back into skating routines. I recently had my skates profiled at a hockey store using the CAG-1 profiler. I got a 25/40 with a 9 foot radius. Took less than two hours.

Another option I had was at another hockey store but they said they do the profiling by hand instead of using the machine. They use blackstone machines and probably template grinders. I had them profile my blade to a 9 foot radius with an minor forward pitch on my old skates which one was done recently. They took two days to profile them

At the end of the day, I felt that the CAG-1 wasn't as "flat" as the other shop but i'm not sure which one is better.

Anyone got any input for my next profile? Is CAG-1 the way to go or blackstone profiling.

P.S. I live in Toronto/scarborough. If anyone has a good place to recommend, i can take that into consideration too.

Last edited by goonx: 11-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
go see Tomm at Ice sports on 48.

Tell him I sent you. he will work with you to get what you want.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Anyone got any input for my next profile? Is CAG-1 the way to go or blackstone profiling.
If you have to ask someone's opinion on a question that you alone can answer, do you really need to profile your blades? You now have two pairs of skates with two different profiles, you don't know which one you like and yet you want to do it again? Money must grow on trees up there.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
If you have to ask someone's opinion on a question that you alone can answer, do you really need to profile your blades? You now have two pairs of skates with two different profiles, you don't know which one you like and yet you want to do it again? Money must grow on trees up there.
The first pair of skates I got was from a few years back and on sale. At the time, my dad bought skates that were the same size as my regular shoe size. So they're size 9D. (people at the LHS didn't know what they were doing) Soon after, I had to stop skating and that pair has been in the closet for a few years. I got back recently into skating and so I had my old skates sharpened and profiled after reading about how most skates have mismatched profiles.

However, when i told my relatives about my skates, they said my skates were totally the wrong size (size 6.5D is my right size) and a great deal on a new pair of skates came up. So I ended up with a new a pair that i got profiled at National Sports (with the CAG-1).

I started researching and I came here to ask for advice. I don't mind spending another $20 to profile the skate if it's going to last the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
go see Tomm at Ice sports on 48.

Tell him I sent you. he will work with you to get what you want.
Thanks, I guess I mention adam from your user name? How much does it cost usually?

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
The first pair of skates I got was from a few years back and on sale. At the time, my dad bought skates that were the same size as my regular shoe size. So they're size 9D. (people at the LHS didn't know what they were doing) Soon after, I had to stop skating and that pair has been in the closet for a few years. I got back recently into skating and so I had my old skates sharpened and profiled after reading about how most skates have mismatched profiles.

However, when i told my relatives about my skates, they said my skates were totally the wrong size (size 6.5D is my right size) and a great deal on a new pair of skates came up. So I ended up with a new a pair that i got profiled at National Sports (with the CAG-1).

I started researching and I came here to ask for advice. I don't mind spending another $20 to profile the skate if it's going to last the next year or two.

Thanks, I guess I mention adam from your user name? How much does it cost usually?
Yeah adam from NJ LOL and I think it's 15 bucks CAD.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote