HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Setzinger

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
As for bringing over defensemen (i.e. Stehlik, Sulzer, Niskala, Kulyash, Mukhachev) at this point, I'm not sure if it's in our best interest. Next year, we will have three stud defensemen that are in their earlier stages of development (Hamhuis, Suter, Weber). We also have another solid NHL defensive prospect in Klein. I just don't know if we have room for these guys. Ya, we have room on the AHL roster, but it's not at all realistic that they will have a shot to make it with the Preds anytime soon (even if they are good). So, it seems kind of silly to brining them over only to sit in the AHL and use up their AHL eligiblity. I say let they develop in Europe. If we have another stud on our hands, we should know it in another couple of years.
Bringing over three of those 5 in the next few years won't hurt us. Our team has several players (Hnidy, Allison, Lilja) that I'm not sure will be with the team in two years. Sure Hamhuis and Suter could and should likely step up and fill their roles, but our AHL cupboard will be relatively bare or, at the very least, weak with only Klein and Weber as prospects there. Bringing over Niskala might be more of a trade bait situation. I'm not sure we actually need him (unlike Sulzer or Stehlik) and if he comes over and puts up numbers in the AHL (and he should be given prime PP time to do so), his value could skyrocket. The other two of note, Sulzer and Stehlik, are a few years away from NHL competition, so bringing them over after next year would be the next step in their development. Sulzer will be 22 by the start of the 2006-07 AHL season and I've always heard that the DEL isn't a great place for player development. Most of the big name german players (Ehrhoff and Sturm come to mind) only spent a year or two post draft in Germany before heading over. Sulzer could use two years in the AHL. That would put him at 24 before really sniffing NHL ice. If he's up for it, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I think a similar situation could occur with Stehlik as he is the same age. But an extra year in Europe wouldn't kill him as he does have NA experience and the Slovakian league is stronger than the DEL. There's all this talk about Timonen staying over for 5 years beyond his draft year, but he was doing so in one of the best leagues in the world with a nice history of player development. It is a different situation than Sulzer. Now if we could get him to move to the Finnish League, then I wouldn't have a problem at all with him staying over for an extra year.

Old
05-17-2005, 09:55 AM
SmokeyClause

And how is Radulov AHL eligible? Going by his birth date, he won't even be 20 until well after next year's CHL season. Shouldn't the star rule apply to him like it applied to Tootoo and Weber? I know things are expected to change with a new CBA, but is this one of them?

Old
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
And how is Radulov AHL eligible? Going by his birth date, he won't even be 20 until well after next year's CHL season. Shouldn't the star rule apply to him like it applied to Tootoo and Weber? I know things are expected to change with a new CBA, but is this one of them?
Because Radulov wasn't drafted out of the CHL. When he was drafted, he played in Europe. So, the CHL/AHL eligiblity rules don't apply to him. He is treated as any other Euro-drafted player.

Old
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
SmokeyClause

An update to my comment on German draft picks, here's a few

Goc - came to the AHL two years after he was drafted by SJ (#20 overall).
Sturm - came to NHL one season after being drafted by SJ (#21 overall).
Ehrhoff - came to AHL two seasons after being drafted by SJ (#106)
Seidenberg - came to AHL one year after being drafted by PHI (#172)
Schubert - came to AHL one year after being drafted by OTT (#127)
Hecht - came to NHL three years after being drafted by StL (#49)
Reichel - came to NHL after draft year (#70)

I think you'll find similar trends of European players of good quality coming to the NHL early, but it doesn't appear German players stay very long and I think a lot of it has to do with the developmental ability of the DEL.

Old
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Because Radulov wasn't drafted out of the CHL. When he was drafted, he played in Europe. So, the CHL/AHL eligiblity rules don't apply to him. He is treated as any other Euro-drafted player.

Thank you.

Old
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
ignoreoutcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
An update to my comment on German draft picks, here's a few

Goc - came to the AHL two years after he was drafted by SJ (#20 overall).
Sturm - came to NHL one season after being drafted by SJ (#21 overall).
Ehrhoff - came to AHL two seasons after being drafted by SJ (#106)
Seidenberg - came to AHL one year after being drafted by PHI (#172)
Schubert - came to AHL one year after being drafted by OTT (#127)
Hecht - came to NHL three years after being drafted by StL (#49)
Reichel - came to NHL after draft year (#70)

I think you'll find similar trends of European players of good quality coming to the NHL early, but it doesn't appear German players stay very long and I think a lot of it has to do with the developmental ability of the DEL.

DEL is a tough league, rather it is the level of their junior leagues that is bad. It is a big step to take to from juniors to seniors over there and that takes time.

Old
05-17-2005, 06:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoreoutcome
DEL is a tough league, rather it is the level of their junior leagues that is bad. It is a big step to take to from juniors to seniors over there and that takes time.

Maybe that's what I heard. Sorry to inaccurately disparage the DEL. And I didn't mean to say it was bad, just that it wasn't up to the caliber of the Super League or the Finnish/Swedish Elite League's.

Old
05-18-2005, 01:02 AM
dulzhok

I just feel like there is no rush to get these defensemen over here. Assuming that all of Weber, Hamhuis, Suter, and possibly Klein are in the NHL within 3 years, we really have no spots for any other young defenders. Even if Shethlik or whoever proved to be NHL ready, I find it highly unlikely that the Preds would ice a team with 5 defenders under the age of 23. I’m even worried of having all of Hamhuis, Weber, and Suter in the NHL line-up at such a young age.

Don’t get me wrong… I’m all for them coming over, eventually. I’d just like them to wait a couple of years, so they don’t use up their AHL eligibly (3 years) and be put in a position where they can’t make the NHL team (even if they are ready) and their trade value is still low, because they haven’t proven themselves in the NHL. We’d basically in a position were we’d be forced to give them away for cheap.

Old
05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Flonaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I expect Setzinger to get a no.1 center position at HPK (atleast initially), hard to predict his linemates but most likely they are players you have never heard of. If he's not good enough, HPK will most likely get somebody else to center the first line thus bumping Setzinger back to his 2nd/3rd center spot.
Setzinger hasn't played a single game as a center for HPK in the last 1½ seasons. Neither do I remember him ever playing center for Pelicans. Olli is strictly a winger and his playing style is that of a winger, a sniper to be more exact.

Right now Olli is 1st/2nd line RW on paper for HPK next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Maybe we don't want him here if he is not willing to be a little humble and develop his game and English for one year.
Humble? "Yes, of course I would love to take a 50% paycut just for the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from pulling on an Admirals jersey" ?

And Olli speaks excellent English and Finnish. Finnish is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world and you wouldn't even notice that he's Austrian, not Finnish.

Setzi is a real character and always speaks his mind. Sometimes he'd do better just mumbling the same jargon as all other players but the fans love him for his style.

Old
05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
"Yes, of course I would love to take a 50% paycut just for the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from pulling on an Admirals jersey"
You can look at it that way. Of course, if you do, you'd probably never make it to the NHL anyways because you lack the proper outlook and confidence to succeed in hockey's highest league. He can look at it as a small financial step backwards for a massive step forwards. He may spend a season in the AHL, but if he's good enough, he'll get a payday in the NHL that dwarfs that of the Finnish league. Sure, it's a gamble. But often times the spoils go to those willing to take the risk.

Closed Thread