HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Denis Shvidki?

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 01:06 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
Denis Shvidki?

Panthers waived him today personally i think he is a good young player with loads of talent you think the leafs should claim him

Old
10-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Transplanted Caper

Why Not?...I dont think you can ever have enough good young players. By picking him up, perhaps that allows us even more lway as far as trading forward depth for a decent dman goes

Old
10-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
Why Not?...I dont think you can ever have enough good young players. By picking him up, perhaps that allows us even more lway as far as trading forward depth for a decent dman goes
not that bad of an idea

Old
10-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Brock

The Leafs have shown an intrigue of reclamation projects in the past (Druken, Holden, Jackman) etc...so I can't why see thinking the Leafs might put in a claim for him would be far fetched.

However I doubt the Leafs would even get him because I'm sure one of the many teams ahead of the Leafs in the waiver order would also put in a claim.

Shivdki was an easy top 50 prospect in the NHL not long ago, but injuries, inconsistency really prevented him from finding a groove with the Panthers organization.

He needs a fresh start and hopefully someone gives him it, whether it be the Leafs or not.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
The Leafs have shown an intrigue of reclamation projects in the past (Druken, Holden, Jackman) etc...so I can't why see thinking the Leafs might put in a claim for him would be far fetched.

However I doubt the Leafs would even get him because I'm sure one of the many teams ahead of the Leafs in the waiver order would also put in a claim.

Shivdki was an easy top 50 prospect in the NHL not long ago, but injuries, inconsistency really prevented him from finding a groove with the Panthers organization.

He needs a fresh start and hopefully someone gives him it, whether it be the Leafs or not.
I used to feel the same way about waiver wire guys.

But I don't think Shvidki would work out too well with us, to be honest.
Pat Quinn hasn't really worked young forwards breaking in into the lineup with much success in his five years here. I can think of Kevyn Adams, Nik Antropov and Ponikarovsky (sort of). Other young forwards on this team like Sullivan, Johnson, Modin, McCauley were all rotting or doing nothing in their time with us.

I don't think Shvidki stands much of a chance, especially with all the geezers on the roster.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:59 PM
loveshack2

Doesnt he make over a million bucks? That's a bit much.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I used to feel the same way about waiver wire guys.

But I don't think Shvidki would work out too well with us, to be honest.
Pat Quinn hasn't really worked young forwards breaking in into the lineup with much success in his five years here. I can think of Kevyn Adams, Nik Antropov and Ponikarovsky (sort of). Other young forwards on this team like Sullivan, Johnson, Modin, McCauley were all rotting or doing nothing in their time with us.

I don't think Shvidki stands much of a chance, especially with all the geezers on the roster.
Yeah definitely.

It wouldn't be a very good fit.

The Holden and Druken reclammation projects havent gone as well so far because Quinn hasn't given them much of a chance to "reclaim" themselves at the NHL level if you will.

Shvidki needs to go to a franchise that needs the depth at the forward position, where he will get a chance to play and just get confidence back.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Who gives two hoots what Quinn thinks of him.

Quinn doesn't make those decisions.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
The Holden and Druken reclammation projects havent gone as well so far because Quinn hasn't given them much of a chance to "reclaim" themselves at the NHL level if you will.

Yeah it's Quinn's fault that they suck.

I dont know about you but I noticed last year that Quinn steadily promoted Antropov all year and gave him more and more ice time as the year went on. Why? Oh yeah, because he earned it. Something Holden and Druken have yet to do.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Yeah it's Quinn's fault that they suck.

I dont know about you but I noticed last year that Quinn steadily promoted Antropov all year and gave him more and more ice time as the year went on. Why? Oh yeah, because he earned it. Something Holden and Druken have yet to do.
The key to a reclammation project is the fact, that they will be coming to your club with zero confidence. Meaning.........they won't be ready to earn anything because they aren't going to play up to the level they are capable of. In order to boost their confidence, you will have to play them in games, even though they may not be deserving of it yet.

Thats why so few teams take on these so called "reclammation projects" because you have give them their shot if you are serious about it. After 10-15 games of serious NHL action, you should be able to tell whether their status in hockey can be reclaimed or not.

Pat Quinn doesn't have the patience to stick with a reclammation project really. Thus explaining why Quinn experimented with Jackman at forward last year.

I'm not knocking Pat Quinn as a coach because that would be unjustified. However it's a fact, that if you are a team trying to break younger players into your line-up, Pat Quinn is not the man for your job. He is very loyal to his veterans.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:23 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Pat Quinn doesn't have the patience to stick with a reclammation project really. Thus explaining why Quinn experimented with Jackman at forward last year.

I'm not knocking Pat Quinn as a coach because that would be unjustified. However it's a fact, that if you are a team trying to break younger players into your line-up, Pat Quinn is not the man for your job. He is very loyal to his veterans.

NO question that he is loyal to his veterans. However I notice that he did make the trade for Jackman who is expected to step into a more pivotal role this year. Does that not qualify as a reclamation project? He only played forward for what? two or three games? And isnt that better than not playing at all anyway? He did play about 40 games on defence last season.

Anyway I dont think reclamation projects are a direction this team needs to go in. If you're trying to compete for the Cup then you should really have the depth in place such that they wouldnt get the ice-time they need anyway. Im not trying to paint Quinn as infallible but I think it's quite unfair to blame him for the fact that Druken and Holden are no good. Espescially when he has given certain players like Antropov, and Kaberle, and Jackman a chance when they prove that they belong.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Brock

Quote:
NO question that he is loyal to his veterans. However I notice that he did make the trade for Jackman who is expected to step into a more pivotal role this year. Does that not qualify as a reclamation project? He only played forward for what? two or three games? And isnt that better than not playing at all anyway? He did play about 40 games on defence last season.

Anyway I dont think reclamation projects are a direction this team needs to go in. If you're trying to compete for the Cup then you should really have the depth in place such that they wouldnt get the ice-time they need anyway. Im not trying to paint Quinn as infallible but I think it's quite unfair to blame him for the fact that Druken and Holden are no good. Espescially when he has given certain players like Antropov, and Kaberle, and Jackman a chance when they prove that they belong.
Agree and Disagree.

Agree that reclammation projects are a direction that this team should not be venturing in at the moment. Offensively, we are set at the moment, with the depth in the minors there to replace anyone who should become injured. And defensively, we need an established player, not a reclammation project. The teams whom should be venturing down that trail are teams whom arent expecting to make the playoffs and have nothing to lose.

Agree and disagree on the Holden and Druken situation. You can't exactly say that Quinn wasn't doing his job, by not giving Holden or Druken playing time because his job is to ice the best team Toronto can. Giving Holden or Druken auditions would have been very tough to do because if they were to play poorly, then it could hurt the team. However i feel that since he did take on these reclammation projects (probably because of past ties with them) he should have at least given them a proper audition. Back in the day, i felt that both Holden and Druken had what it took to become NHL players at some point in their careers. And i still believe that both have the ability to. It just won't be with the Leafs.

Pat Quinn is doing his job fine, it's just that he isn't the type of manager whom should be taking on these reclammation projects.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:48 AM
joecool

Quote:

The thing I have noticed about Quinn is that he seems to have much
more success "reclaiming" defencemen, as opposed to forwards.

When he traded for Bryan Berard, the scouting report on him was "no commitment to defensive game", but in Toronto he clearly could and did play good defence.

When Bryan McCabe was brought in, he was supposed to "lack the ability to make good defensive reads and good hockey decisions", but again, I have not seen that since he's been playing for Quinn, plus his offence has developed quite nicely.

Berg & Lumme are/were worth what the leafs gave up, since they were traded for players who weren't contributing to the NHL team.
Svehla was also a good trade, in terms of improving the on-ice competence.

Dempsey & Ericsson obviously didn't work out, for different reasons.

The jury is still out on whether Marchment, Pushor and Jackman will contribute to the Leafs, or be liabilities, but playing for Quinn seems to tip the odds towards contributor status.

Also, Quinn has been responsible for bringing along rookies like Kaberle, Markov (Sigh), and Pilar. ( and maybe 1 or 2 more this season )

His record with forwards isn't nearly as speculative or successfull.

Old
10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Hey Keenan now that Horton is signed and The Panthers are still working on deals for Petr Taticek, taken ninth overall in 2002, and Anthony Stewart, the 25th player taken last June.

So how about you send us a couple prospects Dudley for Belak for our farm team ....I'll take Denis Shvidki first rounder in 1999 and Ivan Novoseltsev for Belak and future help at forward...

Old
10-06-2003, 10:25 AM
sluggo*

Shvidki is 23 years old, if he was willing to playing in the AHL this year he'd be a good player for the Leafs to sign now and hopefully use in a year or two. However if he refuse's to sign with a team that intends to send him to the AHL then theres no point.

Closed Thread