HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nick Schultz ?

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

vCash: 500
Nick Schultz ?

Hey guys.

Just wanted to know a little about this player. I've heard he plays like McCabe with a better defense. Is it true? if not...how is he? whats his potential? style?

Old
05-19-2005, 07:52 PM
PhillyPhantoms

If this is true, players should start watching thier backs for a stick-wielding mad man coming down the ice

Old
05-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Schultz is pretty good - he plays a steady game, not very physical, but with an emphasis on positioning. He's pretty moblie, and generally makes good decisions with the puck. His offense hasn't been much, but he's pretty astute about when to pinch, and boy has he missed some chances! I see him topping out at 10 goals 20 assists or so, playing a steady plus game on D. Not elite by a far stretch, but a good 2nd pairing kind of guy.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:15 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Schultz is pretty good - he plays a steady game, not very physical, but with an emphasis on positioning. He's pretty moblie, and generally makes good decisions with the puck. His offense hasn't been much, but he's pretty astute about when to pinch, and boy has he missed some chances! I see him topping out at 10 goals 20 assists or so, playing a steady plus game on D. Not elite by a far stretch, but a good 2nd pairing kind of guy.
Kinda the opposite of McCabe

Old
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Wild Thing

One of the big question marks about Schultz is his attitude. Lemaire has said several times that the guy is hard to motivate, because he just can't figure out what makes him tick. He's already shown a tendency to come to camp overweight and out of shape, and he doesn't respond well to Lemaire's attempts to kick him in the pants. I'm not sure how seriously the guy takes hockey when he's not at the rink, and that may limit his upside in years to come.

Still, he's a decent D-man. I was hoping for more out of him, but it looks like what you see is what you get. I can live with "decent", if that's all the better he gets.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Firedriller

Send a message via ICQ to Firedriller Send a message via MSN to Firedriller Send a message via Skype™ to Firedriller
He hasn't been that good last season here in Germany, his team went to relegation and he was a big dissapointment for a lockout player.
Nevertheless in the last games he showed some impressive skills. I remember a game on TV where his team had a PP and he shut down the blue line all alone from one side to the other, really impressive.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedriller
Nevertheless in the last games he showed some impressive skills. I remember a game on TV where his team had a PP and he shut down the blue line all alone from one side to the other, really impressive.
Boy, that sounds like Schultz. Very good when he's interested, but almost invisible if he feels disengaged.

Old
05-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think he could turn out to be a really solid 3rd defenseman. He's all ready got alot of NHL experience and he's only like 23. He played very well in the playoffs also 2 years ago.

Old
05-21-2005, 12:29 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I think he has alot of upside...he's been in the league what, like 3 years now? with Lemaire, I think Schultzie's focus was getting the defensive side of the game down...now with that said, and having Willie Mitchell as a partner, a stay at home guy, I bet his offensive numbers will increase...probably close to 30-35 points a year...he is very steady, has a pretty good shot, mobile...the kid has playoff experience in both the AHL and NHL...He and Burns are probably the first unit PP dmen...I've noticed that he becomes more of a presence when he has that offensive freedom, ex. in OT's or 4 on 4's...

he's about as solid as a 2nd pairing guy can be. As for the motivation issue, I think that will come with age...

Old
05-21-2005, 02:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
He played very well in the playoffs also 2 years ago.
Most of the damn team did extremely well in the playoffs. Park, Zholtok, Roloson, Fernandez, Brown all of them played a level above what they normally play.

To me Schultzie reminds me best of a fellow teammate: Andrei Zyuzin. Zyuzin will have a few games at a stretch where he is absolutely dominant. But then follow that with a few games where he is invisible and putrid. Schultz has a great upside but will he ever reach it?

Old
05-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Monkeypox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Most of the damn team did extremely well in the playoffs. Park, Zholtok, Roloson, Fernandez, Brown all of them played a level above what they normally play.

To me Schultzie reminds me best of a fellow teammate: Andrei Zyuzin. Zyuzin will have a few games at a stretch where he is absolutely dominant. But then follow that with a few games where he is invisible and putrid. Schultz has a great upside but will he ever reach it?
I don't think I've ever seen Schultz as putrid. He's a LOT steadier than Zyuzin - he never flies as high, nor sinks as low as Andrej does.

Closed Thread