HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The writing was on the wall for O'Byrne. As for the prospect, I guess you get what the assets worth a 3rd rounder.

BTW, We save 942.000$ in cap on the move.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bonin

Bournival was in interview at CKAC just BEFORE they knew he was traded lol... he was there cause they thought he was one of those that stand out in the 2 games gainst team russia...

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
exile550

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Terrible trade for giving up a mobile 6'4 defenseman.
A 6'4'' defensemen that has no physicality and plays like a 5'9'' player. He will not be missed.

exile550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

I will admit that I know next to nothing about Bournival...just don't like that we have 80 versions of him in the system already.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Nice trade. Getting Bournival in return puts more depth into our prospect pool. That guy is physically strong already and is a good 2-way player. Could see him playing bottom 6 but has potential to play offensive role too. He's now around 6 feet, 187 lbs. Was 5'11, 179 lbs when drafted this past summer.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:37 AM
JayBee*

I expect O'Byrne to beast in Colorado.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
I will admit that I know next to nothing about Bournival...just don't like that we have 80 versions of him in the system already.
Well, that's a little strange. You know next to nothing about him, yet you're certain there are clones of him in the system.

So, who are all these players that are just like him?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Keep in mind the kid is only 18. Next year, none of Maxwell, Desharnais, or White can be in Hamilton anymore. Yes, you'll have Leblanc and Engqvist (+ Dumont and Fortier), but doesn't hurt to add a future center to the pipeline.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Never heard of the kid.

He was Colorado's 3rd round pick last year.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=115896

I'm not a fan of dropping a serviceable NHL player (arguably I guess) for a low-level prospect but whatever, time will tell.
Played for Team Orr during the 2010 CHL Top Prospects game.

Also played for Team Canada at the 2010 U-18 WJC.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Latendresse, D'Agostini, Chipchura, S. Kostitsyn, O'Byrne... 5 guys under 26 who have been traded already with Martin as coach.

I like the return on this trade though, Bournival sounds like an interesting prospect and with Picard playing well this year we weren't likely to see O'Byrne play any time soon.
Not quite as huge of a loss as you make it out to be. We got Pouliot (24) for Latendresse. Palushaj (21) for D'ags. We got a pick for Chips, Sergei was just a shot at trying to sign Ellis at a decent salary, guess that failed and Ob got us a good prospect. I think overall probably the Sergei trade was the biggest question mark but it was a gamble on trying to find a backup for Price which Ellis probably wasnt up for, thats without mentioning Sergei's problems with the team.

Overall, not too bad by PG, not outstanding though but at least he didnt pick up old timers.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
This.

Some of you are seriously overrating OB
O'Byrne has size and potential that he just isn't reaching. People are going to react like they reacted to Kilger.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ysis_fall2010/

Both Joey Hishon and Michael Bournival were selections in this past summer’s draft (first and third-round respectively) and are Colorado’s only forward prospects playing Canadian major junior hockey. The 17th overall selected Hishon is looking more like a steal than a head-scratcher at this point, posting a remarkable 10 goals and six assists in just seven OHL games this season. Not to be outdone, Bournival has posted 21 points in 15 contests thus far. Both appear to be on the fast-track to the NHL, with Hishon exemplifying star potential.

12. (NR) Michael Bournival, C, 18
Drafted 3rd round, 71st overall, 2010

Selected in the third round this past summer, the hard-nosed Bournival will look to build on what was a very successful second year for him in the QMJHL. The 18-year-old recorded 24 goals, 38 assists and 62 penalty minutes in 58 games with Shawinigan. Bournival was also a member of Canada's U-18 team where he scored two goals and one assist in six games.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ado_avalanche/

He projects as a top-nine talent who has the ability to play a versatile game. What he lacks in size he makes up for in hard work and dedication. His work ethic will do him well when it comes to making the jump to the next level. He can be a multipurpose forward and is likely to spend the next few seasons developing in the QMJHL.

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
TroyM

I am okay with this trade. As much as I wanted O'Byrne to become this certain 'something' I don't think he was going to reach that goal that I had in mind for him. He was good for a couple stretches, bad in others, and never really made his place unfortunately for him. Then add in the fact that we signed Picard who has been great and more deserving of the 7th spot IMO and well, he's just sitting around getting a million bucks as the 8th defenseman.

I know people will whine and gripe about this, but we got a young new prospect that has potential out of it and can develop, saved some money for an 8th D who never really put it together yet, and would have a REALLY hard time cracking our lineup. I am totally fine with this and I sincerely wish O'Byrne well in Colorado. One of the players that leave and I legit hope they pull it together and have a solid career, he seemed like a good guy and he never *****ed about anything IIRC which I appreciate. Too many whiny players in the NHL IMO!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Yeah right, very mobile... good luck for him if he plays good for Colorado...we dont need him, he had his chances, he didn't take them. Now its a 0,942M cap space, one spot in our roster...who will it be?

SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Not quite as huge of a loss as you make it out to be. We got Pouliot (24) for Latendresse. Palushaj (21) for D'ags. We got a pick for Chips, Sergei was just a shot at trying to sign Ellis at a decent salary, guess that failed and Ob got us a good prospect. I think overall probably the Sergei trade was the biggest question mark but it was a gamble on trying to find a backup for Price which Ellis probably wasnt up for, thats without mentioning Sergei's problems with the team.

Overall, not too bad by PG, not outstanding though but at least he didnt pick up old timers.
No I'm not blaming PG, he's done very good at getting return for these guys... especially the D'Ago trade where I thought he had next to no value on the market. I'm just moreso worried about our lack of development of guys at the NHL level and after seeing Eller getting 4 minutes of ice time on Tuesday I hope he's developed better than the young guys who have been traded while Martin's been head coach.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 1909

After watching the videos, the first person he reminded me of was Tom Pyatt.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
People really need to stop calling O'Byrne mobile. Sure he can skate straight up the ice but who can't? Once he is in his own zone and the play starts getting fast east to west then he is done.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Latendresse, D'Agostini, Chipchura, S. Kostitsyn, O'Byrne... 5 guys under 26 who have been traded already with Martin as coach.

I like the return on this trade though, Bournival sounds like an interesting prospect and with Picard playing well this year we weren't likely to see O'Byrne play any time soon.
All of them have played pretty well too.

Chipchura is still kind of meh, but he's done some good work on the PK. He had a decent year last year after being traded too.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chomsky

Quote:
It would be if he was actually mobile.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
People really need to stop calling O'Byrne mobile. Sure he can skate straight up the ice but who can't? Once he is in his own zone and the play starts getting fast east to west then he is done.
Hal Gill?

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He then shoots the puck in the crowd and gets a 2 minute break

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs8517

Dumb move. O'Byrne will become a beast in the next 2 years with the Avs. They know how to develop kids unlike the Habs.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Hal Gill?
K, one exception

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Yeah, and a guy who can score goals too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Curious to see how OB will do with some decent ice time. It's his chance to step up
Step up and score in his goal?

And i was looking this week at the two games in the Subway Series against the Russkies and thinking to myself that we heard the word 'Bournival' quite a lot and bam! We get him! Taking a marginal guy like O'Byrne for a really good prospect is a no-brainer for me: good riddance you purse carrying shoot-in-your-own-goal defense!

And why is no one happy that Bournival is a Quebec born player and not some obscure Russian player we never heard of and who will never come over here? I'm guessing Bournival must be VERY happy right now!

Michael Bournival (C)
TEAM QMJHL

Name: Michael Bournival
Number: 78
Pos.: C
Shoots: L
Height: 5.11
Weight: 184
Birthdate: 1992-05-31
Hometown: Shawinigan-Sud, QC

BIOGRAPHY
Selected in the 1st round, 7th overall by Shawinigan in the 2008 QMJHL Entry Draft.
Third on his team in scoring.
Leads the team in shots on goal with 160.
Has 10 multi-point games this season.
Was named a Scholastic Player of the Month for September.
Played for Team QMJHL at the 2009 SUBWAY Super Series.
Won gold with Canada playing for coach Bob Boughner at the 2009 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament.
Played for Quebec in the 2009 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
coolasprICE

O'byrne has 4 or 5 years left of easily replaceable bottom pairing / 7th man service... big freakin' deal.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote