HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
All of them have played pretty well too.

Chipchura is still kind of meh, but he's done some good work on the PK. He had a decent year last year after being traded too.
I'd take Chipchura back instead of Lapierre, he looked very solid last year for the Ducks, haven't watched him yet this year though. I think he would've looked very good on our 4th line with a speedy guy like Pyatt.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Forecaster analysis

What does it give the Colorado Avalanche?
The Avalanche are currently depleted along the blueline, so big O'Byrne should provide some short-term depth. Long term, he's a marginal talent who will serve as Colorado's No. 6 or 7 blueliner when everybody's healthy.

What does it give the Montreal Canadiens?
Bournival is a pretty good offensive winger currently toiling in the QMJHL. He will need to get stronger in order to take the next step, but he has some upside. This looks like a potential steal for Montreal, at first glance.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Dumb move. O'Byrne will become a beast in the next 2 years with the Avs. They know how to develop kids unlike the Habs.
Unfortunately for the Avs, O'Byrne's no longer a kid. Guess that quashes that optimism. . .

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLONG7

Quote:
Dumb move. O'Byrne will become a beast in the next 2 years with the Avs. They know how to develop kids unlike the Habs.
Everyone but the Leafs seem to develop players better than the Habs...too much pressure and media hype in Montreal.......where was Eklund on this one BTW?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I heard that Timmins was really intrigued in Bournival for the Draft... So, he got his man!

Can we think about Bournival like a Louis Leblanc with less offensive instinct?
Oh great another career AHLr !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
t0ny

Like the move... OB is useless as #8
Hell the return is from Qc

t0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I don't like us getting rid of Ryan O'Byrne.
Me neither. I've always been a fan of OB.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I always liked O'Byrne but he didn't seem to be progressing a whole lot. Hopefully he gets a chance to play with the Avs and can turn into a good player.

And hopefully Bournival turns into a better version of Sidney Crosby.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Meh, he had his chances. Maybe not this year, but he did and couldn't grab hold of a job.

Good luck Ryan.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Oh great another career AHLr !
seriously ..

O'byrne was an AHLr ..

QQ

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
boubou

I had hopes for him O'Byrne. I think he has the size, skating and defensive hockey IQ to do the job. The problem with him is self confidence and specially self confidence in what he will do once he gets the puck. He might get it (confidence) in Colorado or somewhere else, and he might even eventually come back to Montreal once he has become a good player.....

But with a contract that ends with this season and one last year after that before unrestricted free agency, I must say to those who write that he will become what we have been waiting for in the next 2 or 3 years...that even if the future proves them right, it is in no way a logical argument against trading him.

(Why not sell something now that has no real value now, when you think he might have value in 2 years but you know you can lose him for nothing in 1 1/2 years...)

As far as what we got back....lets wait and see.

boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Habs8517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Unfortunately for the Avs, O'Byrne's no longer a kid. Guess that quashes that optimism. . .
Well, he lost 3 years to develop thanks to our moronic management, 2 years to Brisebois and 1 year to MAB. O'Byrne was treated like trash and benched for next to nothing while the trash kept getting chance after chance.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
sukimono

I love this trade.

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I'd take Chipchura back instead of Lapierre, he looked very solid last year for the Ducks, haven't watched him yet this year though. I think he would've looked very good on our 4th line with a speedy guy like Pyatt.
Only game I saw Chipchura play this year, he did well on the PK and played a decent game.

He's either hurt or scratched right now though. Hasn't played since October.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My first comment. I always thought we could have develop O'Byrne differently. So I don't like that part. Now....Bournival was amongst one of my favorites. To this day, we still don't know how the offensive side of his game will develop. I would think it would never be top 6 material but honestly, it still can go either way.

It's great to remember that while not big, while not playing that much of a physical game, this guy is dedicated to hard work and training. Was one of the guys in better shape at the last combine. People circulated a picture here and ther was not a whole lot of fat on this guy.

Another note....seems that he's on Team Canada's radar from the next Juniors. Mind you, I don't think he has a shot. But it might be a great interview for next year's Juniors. I see this guy as a great role player for Canada in 1 year. We never know though....there could be some surprises along the way.

You know how I feel about the Q.....so I can't say I'm not happy. Liked Bournival before, still like him now. Still, I always thought O'Byrne could have turned out differently than he did for us. My take is that he'll had all the confidence needed in Colorado now with less pressure....we will then see how this guy will finally evolve to.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Only game I saw Chipchura play this year, he did well on the PK and played a decent game.

He's either hurt or scratched right now though. Hasn't played since October.

Maybe?

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Well, he lost 3 years to develop thanks to our moronic management, 2 years to Brisebois and 1 year to MAB. O'Byrne was treated like trash and benched for next to nothing while the trash kept getting chance after chance.
Yes because Brisebois and MAB really took the spot of O'Byrne.

You realize we made the ECF last year, right? MAB was a huge part of that, believe it or not.

And with Brisebois in the lineup, we made the playoffs both years. I wouldn't say he was a huge part, but he definitely was decent enough (6 points in 11 playoff games).

I think it says more about O'Byrne than Brisebois/MAB when you can't steal a spot from an aging defenseman and a one-dimensional guy.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:56 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Has to be another move coming. Boyd on waivers, and now this...Something is coming.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Habitants

i like this move. I actually pegged Colorado as a good destination for O'byrne. they need to add some depth at D for their team. and the habs get a decent prospect in return.

habs save cap space also which is great

Picard has proven his worth. if they need mroe help we have Carle and Webber who deserve a chance.

sucks that we loose a potential physical D, buy O'byrne was not progressing in MTL

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
shutehinside

I'm not going to bash this move because I know nothing of the player we're getting back.

What I do know is that OB seemed to me to be a solid prospect type player. Given his age he's not really a prospect anymore and he's had chances year after year to grab the bull by the horns and just hasn't done it. Instead, he's made bone head play after bone head play. For this reason, I'm a little torn over the ability he seems to have and the actualy product we've seen on the ice and it shows why he's been benched and lost his job. I really hope he deos well in Colorado, but I'm inclined to think he'll play the same there as he did over here and won't be much of a factor as his upside isn't that significant imo. Add the fact we have Weber and Carle in the wings and Yemelin who's KHL contract is up next year who'll only come over if he plays with the Habs. If we can get him over, I'd rather pay him then OB to be up here.

More so, I hope this actual prospect can perform to his potential and shore up our centre position further. For the longest time we havne't had any depth in that position and all of a sudden we havea back log which I'm happy to see. Add to that the close to $1M we're saving in cap, plus the $600k for Boyd and $400 we had, that's $2M we'll have. I'm happy they're cutting the fat so to speak on 2 players who would not be playing otheriwse. That way we can spring for a high priced UFA at the deadline to get us over the hump if need be for a long(er) play off run.

Active management is not a bad thing.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Maybe?
Ahh thanks! You're right. I remember seeing that hit, but I was at my friends and wasn't paying much attention to what was said afterwards.

Anaheim put him on the IR with a concussion.

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2010/11/...t-on-ir/48150/

Old
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

O'Byrne had no future here, and damn he's not a kid anymore, he's 26...

Bournival, we'll see what happens, but I like the move at first glance.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
marvelousmotion

It's simple, the organization did not believe in O'Byrne anymore. O'Byrne was given a fair shot to crack the line-up this year and he got out-played by Picard. It was his last chance to earn a permanent roster spot on the team and he failed. Add to that the fact that Montreal drafted a big stay-at-home defenceman in the 1st round last year certainly did not help O'Byrne's future on the team. Management is very high on the young Tinordi.

On the other side of the picture, Bournival is an interesting prospect. We'll see how he pans out a few years down the road. Looking forward to see him play for team Canada if he cracks the team.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Pretty good return for a guy who was clearly not going to suit up again here.

I think people here like the idea of what O'Byrne can become more than the player O'Byrne actually is. The fact of the matter was the Habs couldn't keep waiting for him to fulfill the potential hey may never hit as he kept getting passed on the depth chart. O'Byrne's not a kid anymore, but he still isn't showing any real signs of breaking through. Best of luck to him in Colorado but I won't miss him a whole lot.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote