HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
O'byrne to Colorado

Ryan O'Byrne has been traded to Colorado for Michael Bournival.

Bournival is an 18-year-old centre from Shawinigan who was Colorado's third-round choice, 71st overall, in the 2010 draft.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543183

Not a bad return given that JM had no faith in him. I think he'll be a good #3-4 stay at home guy with a coach that believes in him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ryan O'Byrne has been traded to Colorado for Michael Bournival.

Bournival is an 18-year-old centre from Shawinigan who was Colorado's third-round choice, 71st overall, in the 2010 draft.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543183

Not a bad return given that JM had no faith in him. I think he'll be a good #3-4 stay at home guy with a coach that believes in him.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=840553

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
O'Byrne is strictly a marginal defenseman (if that) and at his age it's starting to look unlikely he'll blossom. Picard ate his lunch, so he wasn't too likely to get playing time in Montreal. The only way he looked good in Montreal is if he was paired with Markov... and then he acted as a lead weight on #79.

I'm actually surprised Montreal got an 18-year-old prospect out of him.
I agree. O'byrne's biggest problem was his inability to actually use his size effectively, which as i said a few weeks ago, makes him expendable. Picard at 6'2 220 is slightly smaller, but overall has more upside i feel. There about the same age and i really don't see how O'byrne will ever be much better than Picard, making this is a smart trade. Good because you take 942K off the books (or whatever it is now) and add a young hard working center prospect (who will cost you nothing on the cap for awhile). People are angry because we lost a big D, but at some point you have to cut your losses. It's not like we traded a 20 year old big D prospect here; he was 26. How long do you want to wait? And how good could he really become? Personally i think he's barely an NHL player right now. If we really need a big D in the future, we'll be able to find one via free agency or even waiver wire that is better or as good as O'byrne.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Jigger77

Character guy,

What he lacks for in size he makes up for in hard work and determination

Strong two-way game

Captain of the Cataractes

Anyone else notice a pattern here?

I like it.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
I don't know a lot on bournival, but I don't like getting rid of O'byrne... we will miss him in a 2-3 years i'm sure he'll become a very good defensive D.
3rd rounder for 3rd rounder
IN : home boy
OUT : guy who clearly didn't progress in the last 2-3 seasons (was a force when we had Komi, then Caorlina incident, empty goal incident failed to step in last season, etc.)
we clear 1.4M of capspace
if we dumpt / lose Boyd too, we have above 2M loose... at that price, we can find a 2nd line solution?!

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BeastScottThornton*

i actually like the trade. Bournival could become a contributing NHL player.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

Hate giving up O'Byrne. Big, fast skating defensemen are not easy to come by and I think he's going to be a solid player.

I don't know anything about the guy coming back though... hopefully he's good because I hate losing this guy.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile550 View Post
A 6'4'' defensemen that has no physicality and plays like a 5'9'' player. He will not be missed.
u must be kidding, right? for your hockey knowledge.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
neofury*

I don't like getting rid of O'Byrne but what I liked even less is that he wasn't playing. He's a young player and has to play and the habs waited quite sometime to pull the trigger here. He's good enough to be a #6 on maybe 15 teams.

I guess my predictions of OB being traded before the 20th game was right, though it was pretty obvious it would happen if you ask me.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
seriously ..

O'byrne was an AHLr ..

QQ
nope i was talking about Leblanc

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:07 AM
gusfring

Please, Pierre... stop making trades - you aren't very good at it...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I heard that Timmins was really intrigued in Bournival for the Draft... So, he got his man!

Can we think about Bournival like a Louis Leblanc with less offensive instinct?
Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison. I see LeBlanc developing as either a net driving 1st liner with some finish or a 2 way 2nd line center. Bournival is as gritty and feisty but not quite as skilled.

I think much like Streit, if the coach doesn't trust the player, it's hard to keep that player around. I think if his coach trusts him he can become a valuable top 4 guy that plays a physical game and can drop the gloves(tougher version of Komisarek).

Old
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Habs8517

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yes because Brisebois and MAB really took the spot of O'Byrne.

You realize we made the ECF last year, right? MAB was a huge part of that, believe it or not.

And with Brisebois in the lineup, we made the playoffs both years. I wouldn't say he was a huge part, but he definitely was decent enough (6 points in 11 playoff games).

I think it says more about O'Byrne than Brisebois/MAB when you can't steal a spot from an aging defenseman and a one-dimensional guy.
Those 2 were signed to be bottom D but instead made our top 4 right out of camp. O'Byrne was ****ed right from the start.

I still remember that first year with Carbo. Team was going nowhere with all those old trash like Dandenault, Brisebois, Smolinsky etc. Only when those losers got injured, did we call up the kids and then the team took off but failed to make the playoffs by losing to the laffs. The Habs have zero confidence in their young players, they call them up and break them and then trade them for next to nothing. Those players then end up being decent Nhlers and you ask why they couldn't do it here ...

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Bad move imo , always liked O'Byrne and believed he'll become a good 4th 5th defenseman in 2 or 3 years.Big defenseman with good skating abilities you don't trade for crap.Too bad.
WHy everyone is sayong that O'Byrne could be a good dman in 2/3 years? Should i remember everyone that O'Byrne is 26? Which should be the age a prospect is fully developped. O'Byrne just remember me Dan Jancevski, who was a good dman overall in AHL, but never achieve to be a full time NHLer. O'Byrne won't have more chance to crack the Avs lineup, their defense squad is full.

TOP 6 :
Liles
Hannan
Foote
Cumiskey
Wilson
Quincey

7th :
Holos
O'Byrne

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
No Team Needed

I think we can build a team from 08-09 now to play against the current Habs.

Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Tanguay - Metropolit - D'Agostini
Kostitsyn - Begin - Kostopoulos
Higgins - Chipchura - Stewart
Laraque

Schenider - Komisarek
Boullion - Dandenault
Brisebois - O'Byrne

Halak
Denis

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I guess if you were the Habs GM you would have traded O'Byrne for Letang, Gonchar or Pronger don't you?

What could you get from O'Byrne, an underachieve dman who haven't proved nothing ?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
O'Byrne will be a NHL regular for the Avs for a while methinks. I like this trade, O'Byrne clearly was never going to play much here.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Ya let's just leave him in the press box all year and have that cap hit against us.Seriously what did you guys want back in return for O'Byrne? He couldn't even get a roster spot here, being passed by Picard.A 3rd rounder is about right for him and this kid doesn't look that bad at all looking at his numbers

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Canuck fan coming in peace and asking if this all could be leading to Bieksa?

Dreger said Habs were interested but needed to make some space

Habs trade a Dman to make cap space of all players

Dreger said the Canucks were waiting for someone to get healthy before the deal went down (we thought it was Salo, but it may have been Hamhuis)

Canucks may have scratched Ballard to see how Alberts + Rome would handle themselves as a bottom pairing if we move Bieksa. To see how we'd be able to handle ourselves before Salo comes back.

The Habs clearly have something bigger coming, waivers and moving O'Byrne is clearly making space for a bigger deal here.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
SpreeEndaz

He actually ranked top 10 in a lot of pre-draft fitness tests, not only push-ups!

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/5...itness-testing

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Good for O'B, I'm glad to see he'll get some playing time now. One concern I have is that we currently only have two D under contract past this season, Spacek and Subban (unless you want to count Henry and Nash) But I like the return as Bournival is an interesting prospect.

If you had suggested to me over the summer that Picard would steal O'B's spot I would have laughed, oh well funny how things end up. Wish O'B well, got to interview him when he was a freshman at Cornell, thought he was going to be a solid D for us, too bad it never worked out.

Our GM's don't seem to be big fans of Timmins picks. Over 5 drafts from '03 to '07 in the past 2 years we have traded,

2003-Halak, O'B, Locke, Urquhart
2004-Chipchura, Grabovski (and loaned Stewart out last year)
2005-Latendresse, D'Agostini, S.Kostitsyn
2006-Valentenko
2007-McDonagh

Out of the 42 players we picked over those 5 drafts, 15 remain in the organization.

2003-Kostitsyn, Lappy
2004-Emelin, Wyman
2005-Price
2006-Maxwell, Carle, White
2007-Pac, Subban, Weber, Fortier, Conboy, Stejskal, Kishel

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Character guy,

What he lacks for in size he makes up for in hard work and determination

Strong two-way game

Captain of the Cataractes

Anyone else notice a pattern here?

I like it.
Ryan White 2.0 ??

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
NSHabs

Just when you thought it wasnt possible...(without a time machine which would take them back to peewee)...your Montreal Canadians have gotten even smaller.
Should be a good one tonight against Chara,Thorton,Lucic,etc.

NSHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
WHy everyone is sayong that O'Byrne could be a good dman in 2/3 years? Should i remember everyone that O'Byrne is 26? Which should be the age a prospect is fully developped. O'Byrne just remember me Dan Jancevski, who was a good dman overall in AHL, but never achieve to be a full time NHLer. O'Byrne won't have more chance to crack the Avs lineup, their defense squad is full.

TOP 6 :
Liles
Hannan
Foote
Cumiskey
Wilson
Quincey

7th :
Holos
O'Byrne
Avs have injuries on D right now... Foote, Cumiskey, and Wilson are all out. Holoso, Shattenkirk, and Cohen played Saturday night. I'm sure O'Byrne could beat one of them for a spot.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile550 View Post
A 6'4'' defensemen that has no physicality and plays like a 5'9'' player. He will not be missed.
That's a ridiculous comment, he was by far our most physical d-man, and among the top 5-6 in the NHL in hits per game, just because we just traded him it doesn't mean he didn't play physical, it's obvious JM prefers puck movers above stay at home guys. Plus, he's 6'5.5" not 6'4".

Don't get me wrong, I like getting Bournival, character kid with decent skill but I still think OB will have a nice career elswhere where a coach will believe in him and not bench him at every mistake.